Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2298363 - 07/03/14 06:25 PM User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I sometimes post a recording I did on the MP11 when people have questions about the sound, and I got to thinking: maybe it would be a valuable to have a thread of a compilation of home recordings done on various DPs to help people with choosing which DP to buy.

Here are some guidelines:
- Name the instrument you recorded on, and specify if you are using a software piano, and if so, which one. The more specifics, the better.
- Any genre is great, just tell us the name and composer in case we get inspired by your playing and want to learn it too!
- Any alterations are fine, but the goal is to maintain the integrity of the original piano sound or software sound, so stick to the effects available on the DP/software, or keep them to a minimum
- Audio or video is fine
- Let us know a little about how you recorded, what other equipment or DAW you used

Anyone think this is worthwhile?

I'll start! You can feel free to copy the format below and use it for your own post.

Digital Piano: Kawai MP11

Voice Used: Concert Grand, Heavy Touch, Dynamic Voicing

Song Title: Nocturne Op. 27 No. 1, Frederic Chopin

Method of Recording: Directly to USB stick, edited out some wrong notes in Audacity on my MacBook Pro.

Effects added: I recorded this a couple of months ago, so I don't recall if I used onboard effects or if I added them after on Audacity. I believe I did the latter.

File: https://app.box.com/s/4bphqub8a8xa9qqauc5j
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2298376 - 07/03/14 07:35 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Morodiene]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Great idea!

I'll bite...I hope you don't mind me reposting an old recording (from last year), with lots of mistakes!

Digital Piano: Nord Electro 3 (controlled by a Kawai MP8II)

Voice Used: Petrof 'Black' Upright

Song Title: I Wish I Knew How It Felt To Be Free (Taylor/Dallas)

Method of Recording: Nord Line Out --> Art Valve Pre-amp --> Dell Laptop

Effects added: None.

File: http://db.tt/kPPo0X87

Cheers,
James
x

Edited by Kawai James (07/03/14 10:54 PM)
Edit Reason: Added info about MP8II

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2298404 - 07/03/14 10:30 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Morodiene]
Morodiene Offline

James, that Nord sounds great! Have you ever tried hooking that up to an MP7 (I believe that's what you have also?) and use the Nord sounds on the MP7 action? Nice playing!

#2298408 - 07/03/14 10:39 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Morodiene]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Thanks Morodiene!

My Nord is hooked up to an MP8II. wink
I should add that info.

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2298490 - 07/04/14 04:41 AM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Morodiene]
Lester Burnham Offline

This is good stuff.

This is the reason forums like this have value - encouragement and inspiration.

#2298515 - 07/04/14 08:11 AM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Morodiene]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
It is good. Hope people will respond to this.

""

#2298517 - 07/04/14 08:29 AM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Morodiene]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

lOVE LISTENING TO OTHERS PLAYING. Morodiene, sounded wonderfully melancholy with a feel good ending. Piano sounded darned good too . . . .but the music has to come first! grin

James, your piano sounds authentically wooden and rather in need of the tuner! Great stuff, man.

Here`s a bit o` cheating coming up. Played on the DGX620 but through the 650 voices . . . clearer sound, but lacking in some character imo compared to the earlier less clinical recordinhg!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20t3bj_contemplation-3_music

Edited by peterws (07/04/14 08:48 AM)

""

#2299006 - 07/05/14 08:45 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Morodiene]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
First....Great thread. Very interesting. Am sure I'll add something someday.

Morodiene.... The dynamic range you're getting is surprising to me. It's something most DP recordings lack. It does sound to me as if you can't hear just how much dynamic range there is in your playing. It's something that high end monitors would solve. That along with good acoustics in the room. Or maybe a good pair of headphones?
With that opinion. Also do fear most people out there can't hear it either.

Basically got a really good sound to that keyboard.

James....thank you... That just instills the opinion out there that Nord has great sounds. That one has tons of personality. Fits the piece.

Peter...interesting... sounds great for an inexpensive keyboard.

#2299018 - 07/05/14 09:39 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Morodiene]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Summer In The City played on Sampletekk's "White Grand" sample library in Kontakt, using Kontakt's "Pianoverb" for reverb. Just chord bashing.

https://soundcloud.com/sullivang/summer-in-the-city-the-lovin-spoonful

#2299087 - 07/06/14 04:37 AM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: sullivang]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

This is terrific; just made to add other instruments and of course, the singer! If I remember the original correctly, it speeds up at times, like "She`s not there" by the zombies . . . strewth, I`m goin` back some . . . grin

""

#2299093 - 07/06/14 04:59 AM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Morodiene]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Pete: The first time I tried to listen to yours, it didn't work - I listened to the 30 second add, but after that, no sound. But, just now, it has worked, and it's very nice indeed! Re my upload, yes, one reason I shortened it is because it's missing a lot. smile I really love the White Grand - such a rich and unique sound. Bloody ballsy too. smile

Greg.

#2299173 - 07/06/14 02:20 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Morodiene]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Thanks for making this thread. I'm amazed by the variety of sounds and playing. I had been looking for a good Brahms example for software piano. I never found one so I had to make one myself.

File: https://app.box.com/s/4lho3upjcrxvutigxnra
Digital Piano / Controller: Roland RP301
VST: Ivory II American Concert Grand
Song Title: Capriccio in F# minor (Brahms)
Recording method: Ivory/Cantabile
Effects/VST settings:

I think some of the settings have changed since I made the recording yesterday. The sustain should be 3 I think. I think the perspective was audience and not performer. The gain was either 7 or 8.

I've had the Ivory for a couple weeks now and it's my first software piano. I've been spending a lot of time tweaking it and I think I still have a long way to go until it's working just right. But I love the sound and it's a lot of fun to work with it. I barely know what I'm doing but I'm much further along than when I got it.

Computer specs:
ASUS G75VW
Chip: i7 2.3 GHz
Ram: 12GB
SSD: 128GB
M-Audio Midisport Uno
Behringer UCA202

#2299260 - 07/06/14 09:03 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Morodiene]
khopin Offline

Loc: Uruguay
I am surprised about the sound quality of all the recording posted so far.
Now I understand why you say that MP11 and IVORY sounds are in other leagues.
Although the sound of my CN34 is not as good, I leave my two last recordings of some beautifull chopin pieces.

1)File: Chopin Nocturne Op72 No1
Digital Piano: Kawai CN34
Voice Used: Concert Grand
Song Title: Chopin Nocturne Op 72 No 1
Method of Recording: Internal recording directly to mp3
Effects added: Amplified with Audacuty

2) File: Chopin Etude Op10 No3 (First part)
Digital Piano: Kawai CN34
Voice Used: Concert Grand
Song Title: Etude Op10 Nş 3 (first part)
Method of Recording: Internal recording directly to mp3
Effects added: Amplified with Audacuty

BR

Edited by khopin (07/07/14 06:18 PM)

#2299363 - 07/07/14 01:53 AM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Morodiene]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Nothing new here, these have all been posted on PW before. Many of those who have been around here for awhile have more then likely heard them..and probably more then once. wink But there's always new people looking on who haven't, so enjoy. smile

All the particular samples used, recording particulars, song title and composer info are on the individual SC track page.

I really should do some things with the CP4. Just lazy as far as being in a *recording mode*... sleep

Nord Piano 2/Fazioli
https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris/pensativa-clare-fischer-test

Yamaha CP5/ CF Grand
https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris/gentle-rain-bonfa-cp5-cf-grand

Nord Piano 88/ Studio Grand 2
https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris/in-your-own-sweet-way

CP5/S6 (w/backing drum track from CP5)
https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris/voyage-kenny-barron-cp5-test

Nord Piano 88/Bosendorfer
https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris/gentle-rain-bonfa-nord-piano

Cp5/CF Grand (w/ backing CP5 drum track)
https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris/groovin-high-gillespie

Nord Piano 88/Grand Lady D (recorded mistakenly in mono..also with CP5 drum track)
https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris/groovin-high-gillespie-nord

CP5/CF Grand
https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris/in-your-own-sweet-way-brubeck

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP5, CP4, Nord Piano 2
RCF TT08A & TT22A speakers

#2299419 - 07/07/14 08:01 AM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Morodiene]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Very interesting project. It's been a pleasure to listen. A few personal observations...

By some margin, Greg's sounds the most real to me; metallic and punchy. For pop/rock the White Grand sounds fantastic.

James, I know you are wedded to upright sounds but I'm not a fan. The way it's played probably doesn't make any meaningful difference to the tone. That's my recollection of the Nord's upright sounds - that they are so limited in nuance and dynamics. In terms of my preferences, you made by far the best choice of tune though!

Khopin's lowlier Kawai CN34 sounds MUCH better and less 'closed in' than Morodeine's MP11 to my ears. I am assuming this may be due to the different recording/capturing techniques. It is clearly the same piano though and there are other problems with Morodeine's recording - some clicks and anomalies. So this might support the idea that the MP11 sounds poor (to me) due to the recording. But neither seem to 'breathe' or have any life in or around them to my ears.

Pete, your recording is prefaced by a 30 second advert that can't be skipped and I'm afraid my life is too short for that so I can't comment on your recording.

Dave's Nord sounds good. To play I preferred the Fazioli but for some reason I like the Studio Grand 2 a lot on these recordings (the stereo is the wrong way round on Faz and SG2 by the way). The CF Grand from the CP5 is altogether more polished than the Nord sounds, but there's something slightly artificial about it. In that respect similar to, although better than, the Kawai sounds.

Pathbreaker's Ivory II American Concert Grand is okay. Technically better than the hardware DPs but a bit lacking in personality (unlike the White Grand or indeed the Nord's sounds).

It doesn't help that I listened to all of these immediately after hearing recordings of the Garritan CFX - and I have to tell you that piano is far and away better than any on this thread (so far) - the gap between it and the Ivory II is quite shocking actually, given that Ivory seems to be so well regarded.

I know. I should contribute rather than (I hope constructively) criticise.

Steve

#2299442 - 07/07/14 09:33 AM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: EssBrace]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: EssBrace
Very interesting project. It's been a pleasure to listen. A few personal observations...

By some margin, Greg's sounds the most real to me; metallic and punchy. For pop/rock the White Grand sounds fantastic.

James, I know you are wedded to upright sounds but I'm not a fan. The way it's played probably doesn't make any meaningful difference to the tone. That's my recollection of the Nord's upright sounds - that they are so limited in nuance and dynamics. In terms of my preferences, you made by far the best choice of tune though!

Khopin's lowlier Kawai CN34 sounds MUCH better and less 'closed in' than Morodeine's MP11 to my ears. I am assuming this may be due to the different recording/capturing techniques. It is clearly the same piano though and there are other problems with Morodeine's recording - some clicks and anomalies. So this might support the idea that the MP11 sounds poor (to me) due to the recording. But neither seem to 'breathe' or have any life in or around them to my ears.

Pete, your recording is prefaced by a 30 second advert that can't be skipped and I'm afraid my life is too short for that so I can't comment on your recording.

Dave's Nord sounds good. To play I preferred the Fazioli but for some reason I like the Studio Grand 2 a lot on these recordings (the stereo is the wrong way round on Faz and SG2 by the way). The CF Grand from the CP5 is altogether more polished than the Nord sounds, but there's something slightly artificial about it. In that respect similar to, although better than, the Kawai sounds.

Pathbreaker's Ivory II American Concert Grand is okay. Technically better than the hardware DPs but a bit lacking in personality (unlike the White Grand or indeed the Nord's sounds).

It doesn't help that I listened to all of these immediately after hearing recordings of the Garritan CFX - and I have to tell you that piano is far and away better than any on this thread (so far) - the gap between it and the Ivory II is quite shocking actually, given that Ivory seems to be so well regarded.

Steve

I'm glad you shared your thoughts on the recordings. For my part, I hope that others will post recordings of the Ivory because I really am just getting started with the whole setup. Most of the time I make changes and the difference in sound is pretty huge. Right now I'm trying to get the right sound and playability while maintaining the integrity given system limitations. Lots of learning for me but that's part of the fun.

We can definitely agree on the White Grand because it does sound amazing. I think "ballsy" was a really accurate description. (taking into account the different style of music of course)
I'll have to see what I can do (if anything) to push the Ivory to have that kind of presence. I'll try to post a different piece soon just for comparison.

Based on your thoughts I will offer this additional version of the same piece (which was done shortly after the other one) using the above settings. The changes are seemingly minor to the settings but I think you'll find it sounds VERY different. At least I think, I'd love to hear your thoughts on if it's better/worse or just the same.

https://app.box.com/s/6rk0plazteiozwkcj5t9

The interpretation might seem a bit dry (regardless of slightly faster tempo), it's mostly just me trying to tweak the system and get a sense of the output. And that's what I'm really after so any suggestions are a huge help.

I would also love to hear an example of the Garritan CFX if you can get one posted or link to a really good one.

#2299470 - 07/07/14 10:54 AM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: EssBrace]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: EssBrace

Steve

Critiques are fine, although the main purpose of the thread is to share what different DPs and software pianos sound like to help those who are interested in buying. I'd love to hear your Garritan CFX!

#2299494 - 07/07/14 12:23 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: EssBrace]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

"Pete, your recording is prefaced by a 30 second advert that can't be skipped and I'm afraid my life is too short for that so I can't comment on your recording."

Thanks for that; somebody else said the same. Dailymotion isn`t the best choice it seems . . .I don`t get these ads on most stuff. Lucky me . . .

""

#2299504 - 07/07/14 12:55 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Morodiene]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Critiques are fine, although the main purpose of the thread is to share what different DPs and software pianos sound like to help those who are interested in buying.

Essbrace's review is really bracing, I think because he articulates some things I sensed but didn't really put into thoughts. Though I'm not sure I agree about the comparison between the CN34 and MP11 - the latter has a softer sound in the piano passages, but more power - and indeed, open bright timbre, demonstrated in the crescendos.

Peterws - I really like the refrain passages with the close-voiced third inversion dominants. It sounds very English somehow, the way the chord was broken up. The 'verse' parts are ever slightly Tony Hatch-ish, and not only because of the oboe. But non the worse for that.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2299530 - 07/07/14 02:08 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Pathbreaker]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pathbreaker
I'd love to hear your thoughts on if it's better/worse or just the same.

https://app.box.com/s/6rk0plazteiozwkcj5t9

The interpretation might seem a bit dry (regardless of slightly faster tempo), it's mostly just me trying to tweak the system and get a sense of the output. And that's what I'm really after so any suggestions are a huge help.

I would also love to hear an example of the Garritan CFX if you can get one posted or link to a really good one.

Interesting. This second one is so much more open sounding. I much prefer it. I also would say that in the first recording the left hand is dominating too much and the piece has a slight muddiness to it as a result. The second one really allows the right hand through. I assume this is a function of your playing rather than the voicing of the samples but nonetheless, version 2 is impressive.

The person recording the Garritan CFX is not sharing at the moment - but it is so beautiful - to my ears at least. And it's a beauty that does not sacrifice clarity or punch either. I know there are issues at the moment with the pedal support on the Garritan (no half pedalling and no release and catch behaviours are supported although I believe they are working on it).

#2299531 - 07/07/14 02:23 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: toddy]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: toddy
Essbrace's review is really bracing, I think because he articulates some things I sensed but didn't really put into thoughts. Though I'm not sure I agree about the comparison between the CN34 and MP11 - the latter has a softer sound in the piano passages, but more power - and indeed, open bright timbre, demonstrated in the crescendos.

Okay, I listened again. I hadn't gone right to the end of the Kawai recordings. I was perhaps a little unfair on the MP11 but I think in general I stand by my comments. The second Chopin piece by Khopin is pretty nice for me.

I think it was Greg or Ando a few months back that talked about "intimate detail" in the sonics of a piano sound and to my ears that is where Ivory and the White Grand score massively over sounds like the Kawai and Yamaha. Neither have the sense of a high resolution hi-fi type sound whereas the sample libraries do. To me both the Kawai and the Yamaha sound as if they are generated by an electronic device. It's just not possible to suspend your disbelief with these sounds because they are not quite there. For me, the Nord proves it's not just about software vs hardware. It's a more complex issue than that.

#2299532 - 07/07/14 02:25 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: peterws]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws
"Pete, your recording is prefaced by a 30 second advert that can't be skipped and I'm afraid my life is too short for that so I can't comment on your recording."

Thanks for that; somebody else said the same. Dailymotion isn`t the best choice it seems . . .I don`t get these ads on most stuff. Lucky me . . .

For what it's worth Soundcloud is the nicest platform for me as a listener.

#2299548 - 07/07/14 02:51 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: EssBrace]
johnlewisgrant Offline

Loc: canada
A little more JSB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MXXbQH1mqw&list=PLP5BZzcdRkq21rE5SoYC33Nxltdam8TPG&index=23

Orchestral Grand plus some verb added.

Other recordings I made there are very old and use the VERY old PMI Bos.

My 2 cents: evaluating relative merits piano vsts and hardware is HARD.

Only some factors are these:

Speakers or headphones the pianist/creator is performing/creating with; at the other end, listener-sound-preferences (dry, verby, woody, Yamaha-sound, Steinway-sound, etc.) and equipment listener is using; performance variations--hugely important; music-type (jazz, rock, classical, new age, etc..), solo or in-a-mix; ear-accommodation after extensive listening (a bad thing); mic placement and preferences for vst, !! etc., etc., etc....

The variables are almost infinite, and are mostly subjective in the extreme.

YET, I do think the quality of VSTs has, and is, improving over the years. But I still find it really hard to say which are the very, very best.

I've been helped incredibly recently by the purchase of a pair of Neumann monitors. What sounds fine on my ProAc Response Ones on my desk is laid completely and painfully bare with the Neumanns.

But even that's subjective.

JG

#2299551 - 07/07/14 02:53 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: toddy]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: toddy
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Critiques are fine, although the main purpose of the thread is to share what different DPs and software pianos sound like to help those who are interested in buying.

I may also note that in the softer passages at times I used the una corda pedal, with the exact purpose of giving it a less bright sound. The cracks or pops are due to the editing I did (which I mentioned in my OP), unless he's referring to something else that I can't hear on my equipment.

#2299567 - 07/07/14 03:41 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Pathbreaker]
johnlewisgrant Offline

Originally Posted By: Pathbreaker
Thanks for making this thread. I'm amazed by the variety of sounds and playing. I had been looking for a good Brahms example for software piano. I never found one so I had to make one myself.

File: https://app.box.com/s/4lho3upjcrxvutigxnra
Digital Piano / Controller: Roland RP301
VST: Ivory II American Concert Grand
Song Title: Capriccio in F# minor (Brahms)
Recording method: Ivory/Cantabile
Effects/VST settings:

I think some of the settings have changed since I made the recording yesterday. The sustain should be 3 I think. I think the perspective was audience and not performer. The gain was either 7 or 8.

I've had the Ivory for a couple weeks now and it's my first software piano. I've been spending a lot of time tweaking it and I think I still have a long way to go until it's working just right. But I love the sound and it's a lot of fun to work with it. I barely know what I'm doing but I'm much further along than when I got it.

Computer specs:
ASUS G75VW
Chip: i7 2.3 GHz
Ram: 12GB
SSD: 128GB
M-Audio Midisport Uno
Behringer UCA202

Listening through Neumann 310s. Apart from everything else, a very nice interpretation!

Anyhow, what I do when listening to piano samples is to A/B the sample against a reasonably good modern live piano recording. For the Brahms, I used a totally different source, a Gabriela Montero recording as a "reference". Not totally useful. Still, this Ivory American (which I own) Brahms interpretation, with the settings used, sounds as good as a 70-80 live piano reocrding, to me. And that's as good as it gets for a sampled piano sounds, in my view. Most sampled piano recordings don't sound like pianos at all, but like sampled pianos or, worse, like synthed pianos.

A little more verb seems to come out with the pedal, almost as if a "hall" sound was being added when the pedal is down. So that's a negative in this vst (but it exists in all piano samples). It's unavoidable, unless you use no pedal at all.

I'm used to more of a hall sound, myself, which might be achieved at a pro level with a bricasti hardware verb. Super expensive, but transformative in a way that soft verbs haven't achieved (as yet).

Amazed at how well this rendering DOES in fact make the Ivory American sound, at least for this particular Brahms piece as you interpret it, and with all the settings you use with the American. It's pretty likely that most professional pianists would never pick this out as "sampled" vs recorded live.

JG

#2299574 - 07/07/14 04:16 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Morodiene]
johnlewisgrant Offline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrLdILLyCMw

Bach p&f 8, orchestral grand, with quite a bit of added verb.

#2299609 - 07/07/14 05:57 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Dave Ferris]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

One more of the Bright Grand on the Nord Piano 88, again, that's been heard here before.

It's part of the end of year student project/recital at LA Music Academy. So it's with 3 horns , rhythm section & vocal. I believe it was Pro Tools HD and a pair of API 500 modules used on the Nord if memory serves me. First take btw.. cool

There's Piano behind the Trumpet intro and comping for his solo. Piano solo starts around the 3:06 mark. I didn't want it on my SC page so you'll have to mess with Divshare.
http://www.divshare.com/download/25350123-a6d

Wow, very impressive and wonderful Bach playing John Lewis Grant. Enjoyed the one or two tracks from your youtube page I heard. Looking forward to hearing more.

I noticed you recorded all of the WTC BK I. Again wow ! - what an undertaking ! These were all done with software pianos ? Sounds great !

Edited by Dave Ferris (07/07/14 06:19 PM)

#2299628 - 07/07/14 07:11 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Dave Ferris]
johnlewisgrant Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
One more of the Bright Grand on the Nord Piano 88, again, that's been heard here before.

It's part of the end of year student project/recital at LA Music Academy. So it's with 3 horns , rhythm section & vocal. I believe it was Pro Tools HD and a pair of API 500 modules used on the Nord if memory serves me. First take btw.. cool

There's Piano behind the Trumpet intro and comping for his solo. Piano solo starts around the 3:06 mark. I didn't want it on my SC page so you'll have to mess with Divshare.
http://www.divshare.com/download/25350123-a6d

Wow, very impressive and wonderful Bach playing John Lewis Grant. Enjoyed the one or two tracks from your youtube page I heard. Looking forward to hearing more.

I noticed you recorded all of the WTC BK I. Again wow ! - what an undertaking ! These were all done with software pianos ? Sounds great !

Yup... pmi BOS, orchestral grand. Had a few on American Grand (Ivory), but I didn't get the kind of brilliant result the Brahms put up here represents.

Hey.... the piano sounds totally real to me, but in a mix it's harder--much harder--to recognize sampled vs live recorded.

Don't tell me the trumpet is sampled....????

#2299653 - 07/07/14 08:40 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: johnlewisgrant]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: johnlewisgrant
Don't tell me the trumpet is sampled....????

No, my longtime friend and great artist, Howie Shear.
http://www.howieshear.com/

A good performance, but pretty terrible youtube live quartet recording someone put up of Howie and I (on the infamous Nord) .

#2299938 - 07/08/14 05:28 PM Re: User Recordings on Digital Pianos - all are welcome to post [Re: Morodiene]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

John: Who made the "Orchestral Grand"? I've never heard of that one. Lovely sound!

Thanks,
Greg.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, ajames, 38 invisible), 1863 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75528 Members
42 Forums
156188 Topics
2293624 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Replacing a treble string-Steinway B-under the bass strings
by Greg the Piano Tuner
07/26/14 11:47 AM
New set of studies probing Does Practice Make Perfect?
by music32
07/26/14 11:25 AM
Toyama Piano- A Year On.
by TheAccompanist
07/26/14 09:39 AM
Frederick Historical Piano Benefit Concert - July 29 2014
by Terrytunes
07/26/14 09:25 AM
Using a (continuous) sustain pedal as expression
by barmassimo
07/26/14 09:06 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission