2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2298921 07/05/14 03:02 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I don't know if anyone has ever posted on this subject and, if so, I apologize for the redundancy.

For those of us dealing with age related arthitis that hinders our piano skills there is something that can help many of us without the use of NASIDS. It is a good fish oil (from smaller fish like sardines and anchovies). My rheumatologist says it reduces inflamation so, with his approval, I tried increasing my usual dose by 4x broken into two doses a day.

Wow, was I pleasantly surprised. Within two weeks there was a noticeable difference as the tendernes and swelling is gone and my fingers feel like they did 20 years ago. I can play a bit faster and quite a bit longer. As a result, I now enjoy playing much more and have become remotivated to progress. As a bonus, my good cholestorol jumped 10 points in a month.

The Doc says everyone has different responses depending on their own physiology and how faithful they are about taking the oil. Just make sure it is a good brand not loaded with impurities. I get mine at Whole Foods and I take four 1200 mg capsules a day.

Any oil is fat, however, so be sure to include the calories in your planning if you monitor your caloric intake.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Glad you brought this up. I have some stiffness in my fingers sometimes, but my thumb joints are the most bothersome, so I'd like to give this a try.
Regarding the calories, here's some info I found on WebMed.
EPA and DHA, the omega-3 fatty acids found only in fish oil, may have the power to dramatically boost your metabolism -- by about 400 calories per day, researchers from the University of Western Ontario report. Fish oil increases levels of fat-burning enzymes and decreases levels of fat-storage enzymes in your body. For the best metabolism boosting benefit, choose capsules containing at least 300 milligrams of EPA and DHA total.
Do the tablets you take contain these EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids? Or is there a different type of fish oil for arthritis issues?

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Piano RX
As a bonus, my good cholestorol jumped 10 points in a month.

It's long been known that the Western diet has the wrong ratio of omega 3 (from fish/seafood) to omega 6 (corn oil & meat) polyunsaturated fats. Too much of the latter, too little of the former. Too much omega 6 is linked to an inflammatory effect.

The Inuits (before they became 'Westernized') and Japanese have the lowest levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol and the highest of HDL (good) cholesterol, and correspondingly, the lowest rates of heart disease in the world.

The best sources of omega 3 oils are mackerel, herring, sardines, salmon and anchovies.

For some years now, high-dose omega 3 supplementation (from purified marine sources) has been prescribed for people who have suffered a heart attack, because it's been found to reduce the risk of a subsequent heart attack in the most dangerous period, i.e. the first two weeks after one.

If music be the food of love, play on!
D
D
Originally Posted by bennevis

...It's long been known that the Western diet has the wrong ratio of omega 3 (from fish/seafood) to omega 6 (corn oil & meat) polyunsaturated fats. Too much of the latter, too little of the former...

Seconded. I started to get a little bit of arthritis a few years back. (I started taking glucosamine and chondroitin back then). A little bit later I thought I'd try some "omegas" as well. I got a bottle from the local Boots (UK pharmacy chain). It was omega 3, 6 and 9. When I got back home, a little research turned up exactly what bennevis said. It's omega 3 westeners are likely to lack; and more omega 6 is the last thing we need.

So I threw away the cheap tablets and bought some omega 3 oil capsules instead. I can only, uncharitably, assume that a mix of "omegas" is cheaper and easier for them to manufacture.

I can't say if any of it is working other than my hips and hands thankfully never got any worse.

Yamaha C3X SH
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Linda G
Glad you brought this up. I have some stiffness in my fingers sometimes, but my thumb joints are the most bothersome, so I'd like to give this a try.
Regarding the calories, here's some info I found on WebMed.
EPA and DHA, the omega-3 fatty acids found only in fish oil, may have the power to dramatically boost your metabolism -- by about 400 calories per day, researchers from the University of Western Ontario report. Fish oil increases levels of fat-burning enzymes and decreases levels of fat-storage enzymes in your body. For the best metabolism boosting benefit, choose capsules containing at least 300 milligrams of EPA and DHA total.
Do the tablets you take contain these EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids? Or is there a different type of fish oil for arthritis issues?

More good news... thanks!

I take "Rx Omega-3 Factors" sold at Whole Foods. Each capsule contains 1170 mg of oil with 630 mg of Omega 3, 400 mg of EPA, and 200 mg of DHA. No Omega 6. This was the specific reccomendation of my Doctor. He said I could go up to 6 capsules a day is I like. I think the brand name is Natural Factors.

My Doc did say, however, that more harm than good can come from taking inferior grade oils that are full of impurities and even mercury so if anyone is thinking of taking larger doses make sure it is good stuff. Do your homework.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I take "Rx Omega-3 Factors" sold at Whole Foods. Each capsule contains 1170 mg of oil with 630 mg of Omega 3, 400 mg of EPA, and 200 mg of DHA. No Omega 6. This was the specific reccomendation of my Doctor. He said I could go up to 6 capsules a day is I like. I think the brand name is Natural Factors.

My Doc did say, however, that more harm than good can come from taking inferior grade oils that are full of impurities and even mercury so if anyone is thinking of taking larger doses make sure it is good stuff. Do your homework.

Thank you very much for that information. I just looked and I see they sell that brand on Amazon. Awesome!

Linda

Cod liver Oil not fit the bill?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
D
D
Cod liver oil will contain vitamin A and too much vitamin A probably isn't good for you. My omega 3 oil capsule bottle lists only a small amount of vitamin E (as a stabilizer apparently) in addition to the main ingredients, EPA & DHA.

Yamaha C3X SH
B
B
Originally Posted by peterws
Cod liver Oil not fit the bill?

Arctic explorers have died of Vitamin A poisoning from eating polar bear liver....

BTW, pregnant women are not allowed to take any supplements that contain Vitamin A.

If music be the food of love, play on!
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by TX-Bluebonnet
I just looked and I see they sell that brand on Amazon. Awesome!

...and yet more good news from TX-Bluebonnet! It's $10 less at Amazon... thanks.

When you take 4 or 5 a day and give some to the dogs as well a bottle of 240 empties pretty quickly.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by de cajon
Cod liver oil will contain vitamin A and too much vitamin A probably isn't good for you. My omega 3 oil capsule bottle lists only a small amount of vitamin E (as a stabilizer apparently) in addition to the main ingredients, EPA & DHA.

de cajon,

Yes indeed. My Doctor specifically warned me not to take CLO for the exact reason you mention. Apparently, too much Vitamin A causes all kinds of havoc.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TX-Bluebonnet
I just looked and I see they sell that brand on Amazon. Awesome!

...and yet more good news from TX-Bluebonnet! It's $10 less at Amazon... thanks.

When you take 4 or 5 a day and give some to the dogs as well a bottle of 240 empties pretty quickly.

I placed my order and should get it in a couple of days. I'm expecting it to work miracles!! grin

Linda

de cajon,

Yes indeed. My Doctor specifically warned me not to take CLO for the exact reason you mention. Apparently, too much Vitamin A causes all kinds of havoc.

So off I goes online and look at vitamin A. It is an essential vitamin. How do you know if you don`t need it? Any obvious symptoms? (sensible answers preferred)

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi peter, here some good info from the National Institute of Health.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminA-Consumer/

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
D
D
Originally Posted by peterws

de cajon,

So off I goes online and look at vitamin A. It is an essential vitamin. How do you know if you don`t need it? Any obvious symptoms? (sensible answers preferred)

Vitamin A is a tricky one. It's absolutely essential, but an excess is bad. And it's fat-soluble so it builds up, unlike typical water-soluble vitamins. (It's even been said that liver or liver pate shouldn't be eaten more than once a week.)

The good news for us in the West is that nearly all of us have enough from our diet. It's in low-income countries, particularly Africa and South-East Asia where deficiency is a problem.

Yamaha C3X SH
Just had a look at the cod liver oil bottle . . .there is vitamin A in there to the degree that a daily dose of this stuff will also give you 100% of your vitamin A requirements. Before you start on the carrots . . .Strewth! See what you mean .

"[Linked Image]"
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by bennevis

The best sources of omega 3 oils are mackerel, herring, sardines, salmon and anchovies.

For some years now, high-dose omega 3 supplementation (from purified marine sources) has been prescribed for people who have suffered a heart attack, because it's been found to reduce the risk of a subsequent heart attack in the most dangerous period, i.e. the first two weeks after one.

NOWfoods fish oils are pharmaceutical grade.
I'm taking Krill Oil.

Another thing that helps joints greatly is to do joint mobility movements everyday. That is basically moving the joints to their fullest extent everyday. Or lets say... the fullest you can move them with out bad discomfort or pain. Many of us have never moved certain joints in certain ways. Many of us haven't moved our joints to their fullest extent in many years. Doing so increases the health of the joints greatly. It increases blood flow past the joints also. It does a whole lot more than one would think it would.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
I`ve got a clicky thumb tonight, it`s warm and wet. Playing the piano will help; using the `puter doesn`t. I`m babysitting, so no bloddy piano . . . .Beer might help . . .

"[Linked Image]"
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Vitamin A is a tricky one. It's absolutely essential, but an excess is bad.

It looks like A, D, E, and possibly K are the ones to watch out for:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, it's my 2nd day taking fish oil. Still feel the same. ha I also added iron and magnesium citrate to my new daily regimen.
BTW, those translucent fish pills are kind of cool. You can actually use them to help read the fine print if needed. grin

Linda

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission