Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2299514 - 07/07/14 01:20 PM What's proper etiquette on playing piano as a guest?
LePiano Offline

Dear fellow beginners,

I am a beginner, started from scratch at 28 years old (now 1.5 years). I love playing piano and I am not afraid (or little shame) playing to other people. When I visit someone or go to a house party, quite often the host has a piano. I would love to put my hands on these charming keyboards.

I always ask for permission of course. And I usually play two small pieces, three at most, such as arranged versions of Walking in the air from The Snowman, Music of the night from Phantom of the Opera. My skill is not sophisticated, but sounds OK with practise. To be honest, if it's a party, I also intend to attract some girls' attention, since I am single.

My question is: what is the proper etiquette on playing piano as a guest? Is it considered rude? Will it offend other guests? Or will my showing-off offend other guys? I doubt about the last one, since my skill is beginner level and probably some guests (guys or gals) are much better player than me.

Thank you for any inputs!

Yi - piano lover who doesn't want to be rude

Edited by LePiano (07/07/14 01:38 PM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2299526 - 07/07/14 01:49 PM Re: What's proper etiquette on playing piano as a guest? [Re: LePiano]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I think a lot depends on the kind of gathering and the attitude of the host. Personally, I love it if people ask to play the piano at my house. I feel it's there to be played (as long as no one puts drinks on it!). But at some parties and for some people, it wouldn't work.

I think your etiquette is ok as long as you use your judgment about the occasion and ask permission.
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2299534 - 07/07/14 02:26 PM Re: What's proper etiquette on playing piano as a guest? [Re: LePiano]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
>>To be honest, if it's a party, I also intend to attract some girls' attention, since I am single.

I love this bit. I really do. It's amazing how true that actually is. There's something incredibly attractive about seeing someone else perform.
But at the same time, and that's my opinion, noone in their right mind would ever want to live with a musician. Unless they were one themselves ...
:-)

Pianos are there to be played. I let everyone play. Kids included. I like to hear others play. I think most people do.

#2299538 - 07/07/14 02:38 PM Re: What's proper etiquette on playing piano as a guest? [Re: LePiano]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
After requesting and receiving approval from the host, you can play as long as you want until you are asked to stop, provided you know what you're doing.

Polyphonist

#2299547 - 07/07/14 02:47 PM Re: What's proper etiquette on playing piano as a guest? [Re: LePiano]
rpw Offline

I don't think there is any special etiquette. Just don't spill your beer on the keyboard.

#2299559 - 07/07/14 03:22 PM Re: What's proper etiquette on playing piano as a guest? [Re: LePiano]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I definitely think it's OK to ask permission, and I'm sure most people would say OK. If someone says yes and they really don't want you to play, then that's their fault for not knowing how to say no. I don't agree with playing for as long as you like, I think 3 shorter pieces (like 2-3 minutes each) is good, and then see if they ask for more smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2299565 - 07/07/14 03:36 PM Re: What's proper etiquette on playing piano as a guest? [Re: LePiano]
LePiano Offline

Thanks a lot, everyone! I guess the consensus is let's --

Keep Calm and Play Piano!

#2299569 - 07/07/14 03:43 PM Re: What's proper etiquette on playing piano as a guest? [Re: LePiano]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Learn to boogie! THe girls`ll love it . . .everybody else will to.

""

#2299582 - 07/07/14 04:33 PM Re: What's proper etiquette on playing piano as a guest? [Re: peterws]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: peterws

Learn "Great Balls of Fire."

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2299594 - 07/07/14 05:01 PM Re: What's proper etiquette on playing piano as a guest? [Re: LePiano]
WellTemperedPizza Offline

Loc: London, UK
If people want to hear it and ask you to play then cool, otherwise don't be 'that guy'.

#2299669 - 07/07/14 10:22 PM Re: What's proper etiquette on playing piano as a guest? [Re: ClsscLib]
David Farley Offline

Loc: Illinois
Originally Posted By: ClsscLib
Originally Posted By: peterws

Learn "Great Balls of Fire."

Also "Linus and Lucy" and "The Entertainer."

#2299670 - 07/07/14 10:35 PM Re: What's proper etiquette on playing piano as a guest? [Re: Polyphonist]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
After requesting and receiving approval from the host, you can play as long as you want until you are asked to stop, provided you know what you're doing.

In terms of length, I think it depends on what kind of party it is. I tend to agree with Poly that, given the right atmosphere, play away. Often, I will ask the host if it is okay to keep playing, and I will always try to gauge the party's reception to my playing.

All this said, I typically do not play at a party unless specifically asked to do so, and even then, I decline about half the time. But this has more to do with me than whether it is socially acceptable. If the piano is there, like Poly and others have said, play away.

#2299681 - 07/07/14 11:13 PM Re: What's proper etiquette on playing piano as a guest? [Re: LePiano]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
I say play away, but instead of being overly cautious, why not place a 'tips' cup on top of the piano and see what happens.

You never know. Cash, pretty girls phone numbers, olive pits, you never know what you'll get.

And who knows, you could pump a bit pf life into the party and make everyone get a little stupid.

It's all good!

#2299701 - 07/08/14 12:59 AM Re: What's proper etiquette on playing piano as a guest? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
tickler Offline

Loc: Chicagoland
Once the host has said it's ok to play -- whatever you do -- respect the host and the piano.

Start of rant ...

IMHO: Do not ever, ever put anything on the piano except sheet music on the rack. No cups -- not even tip cups. No glasses, no plates of half-eaten food. Don't pile your sheet music on the side, or on the closed top.

Doesn't matter if the piano is ancient, or is scratched, or if the host has put stuff on top of it. It's their piano after all, so they can take liberties. Guests should not.

Doesn't matter if other guests are putting their wine glasses on the lid. Let them be the ones kicked out of the party, or never asked back. Don't make the host regret allowing you near the piano.

Ok, end of rant.

For me, the bottom line is that the host is giving you a great gift -- a chance to play a different piano, to see what music you can coax out of it. Don't abuse the privilege.

#2299786 - 07/08/14 08:34 AM Re: What's proper etiquette on playing piano as a guest? [Re: tickler]
Purkoy Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: tickler
Do not ever, ever put anything on the piano except sheet music on the rack. No cups -- not even tip cups. No glasses, no plates of half-eaten food.

It seems almost too obvious a point to make, as though no one in their right minds would ever do something like that. Yet it's happened to me, and the surface of brand new and very expensive loudspeakers was stained badly by wine glasses whose bases were wet with red wine, put there thoughtlessly. I'd dread having that happen to my piano.

If it's a general gathering, rather than something music-orientated, then my main piano is closed and protected with a good quality strong duty covering, but there's a full-size DP in another room, rather less expensive, open for anyone who wants to try it.

#2299812 - 07/08/14 10:11 AM Re: What's proper etiquette on playing piano as a guest? [Re: Morodiene]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
I definitely think it's OK to ask permission, and I'm sure most people would say OK. If someone says yes and they really don't want you to play, then that's their fault for not knowing how to say no. I don't agree with playing for as long as you like, I think 3 shorter pieces (like 2-3 minutes each) is good, and then see if they ask for more smile

Best advice. Play a couple of shorter pieces and see if they want more. We need to watch the feedback from others. Since I have multiple pianists friends from beginner to professionals, hogging piano becomes problem. As a host, I do not want to interrupt and say, "Hey, dude. that's very nice but your time is up.".
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
82 registered (bennevis, casinitaly, Andy001, Allard, barbaram, 16 invisible), 1034 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157229 Topics
2309259 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
When to compose?
by noobpianist90
52 minutes 4 seconds ago
First Recordings on the New Steinway!
by Markarian
57 minutes 30 seconds ago
"railroad track" symbol in Debussy
by Eric NYC
Today at 02:52 AM
P155 or FA-08
by Yussnan84
Today at 01:59 AM
Blac
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:56 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission