Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2299623 - 07/07/14 07:06 PM Kurzweil Forte demos!
Dave Weiser Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
Kurzweil has posted some audio demos for the Forte stage piano.

AC pianos:
https://soundcloud.com/kurzweil-music-systems/sets/forte-series-pianos
EP:
https://soundcloud.com/kurzweil-music-systems/sets/forte-series-tine-eps
Clav:
https://soundcloud.com/kurzweil-music-systems/sets/forte-series-clavier

I'm guessing they have more demos on the way.

Full disclosure: I worked on this project as a contract sound designer. A few of the AC pianos and all of the EPs and Clavs are mine. Hope you guys dig 'em!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2299647 - 07/07/14 08:30 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: Dave Weiser]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Sounds great Dave. Looking forward to the release and possibly playing this at some point.

Had one live experience with the Artis, that was positive, but couldn't see investing in a board with that particular Fatar action for the long run. I think the TP40L will better serve these sounds. Also it sounds like EPs (and AC. pianos ?) have been improved upon from the Artis ?

It would be nice if AM&S could somehow get these in GCs or SAs to check out.

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP4, CP5 (home use) , RCF TT08A, TT22A speakers

#2299662 - 07/07/14 09:40 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: Dave Weiser]
Dave Weiser Offline

Thanks Dave!

The Forte's pianos, EPs and clavs are a huge step up from the Artis and PC3 line.

The Artis sound set has a new 128MB German grand + assorted sounds from the PC3 and KORE64.

The Forte includes new multi-GB samples not found in any other Kurz products: German and Japanese grands, Rhodes 73 and 77, Wurly, Clav (both pickups) and French Harpsi. Each of these have 8 dynamics. Most of the programs have around 18-25 layers. The combination of killer samples plus Kurz's flexible synth/fx architecture made this the most fun project I've ever worked on.

Anyone can feel free to hit me with questions and I'll do my best to assist.

#2299744 - 07/08/14 05:24 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: Dave Weiser]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Wasn't this supposed to be shipping in may ?

#2299748 - 07/08/14 05:38 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: Dave Weiser]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
The 'solo 9ft grand' sounds very nice indeed.

The 'rich 7ft grand' has some issues with notes sticking out that I would find very annoying - a nasty hollow plasticky ringing on the repeated note at 1:51 and then it pops up again a few times until 2:00. There might be two adjacent notes doing it actually. How can dud notes like that get through a sampling session? Kawais have bad notes and the old Yamaha three and four layer sample has a glaringly nasty note (a d flat as I recall). Most Roland Supernatural pianos have a cluster of metallic clanking notes that make them unplayable for me. The reason Kurzweil samples were always so recognisable is that there were two or three notes right in the midrange that had a different tonality to all the others.

Is it so difficult to get total tonal evenness across the keyboard BEFORE sampling the bloody thing?

Rant over, thanks.....

But I do like that 9ft sound!

EPs sound good. Amped Bell (despite the annoying constant panning) and the last two being especially nice.

Edited by EssBrace (07/08/14 05:46 AM)

#2299752 - 07/08/14 05:58 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: Dave Weiser]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
Just as a reminder - I hope you've also implemented all piano specific effect such as string/damper resonance, re-pedaling, silent key on sustain, etc, see Dewster's DPBSD project for explanations. Well sampled and huge sample set is just a part of a good piano experience. I am happy Kurzweil are back and I wish I wish you good luck smile

#2299782 - 07/08/14 08:29 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: EssBrace]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: EssBrace

The 'rich 7ft grand' has some issues with notes sticking out that I would find very annoying - a nasty hollow plasticky ringing on the repeated note at 1:51 and then it pops up again a few times until 2:00.

FWIW, I don't notice any problems at all. It's a very rich sound, and does have little twangs etc, but I can't find anything objectionable, at least through headphones. If there's any phasing issues I won't hear that with headphones.

Greg.

#2299790 - 07/08/14 08:45 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: Dave Weiser]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Dave Weiser
Kurzweil has posted some audio demos for the Forte stage piano.

APs sound nice from what I can hear - which isn't much as there are generally too many notes playing at once to make out individual character. The demos are too frantic.

EPs, sound fine I suppose but I'm no connoisseur.

I don't understand why claves are so popular as DP voices. Is everyone in Stevie Wonder cover bands these days? I find them harsh and grating.

#2299802 - 07/08/14 09:36 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: dewster]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dewster
I find them harsh and grating.

I'm not particularly enamoured by them either, except for the song "Howzat", by Sherbet. (assuming that is a clav - I've never been sure.) Sounds excellent in that song.

Greg.

#2299895 - 07/08/14 02:40 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: sullivang]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sullivang
I'm not particularly enamoured by them either, except for the song "Howzat", by Sherbet. (assuming that is a clav - I've never been sure.) Sounds excellent in that song.

My feeling is they put the clav voice in there so all the wannabes at NAMM can show off their chops by playing thinly veiled versions of "Superstition". (Which, if anything, is a reason NOT to do so.)

#2299905 - 07/08/14 03:10 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: dewster]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia

I don't understand why claves are so popular as DP voices.

Good call. I don't recall them being that beloved even at their peak. They play literally no role in my judgement of DPs at all. Pure cheese to my ear.

#2299945 - 07/08/14 05:47 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: ando]
Dave Weiser Offline

Interesting feedback on the clavs.

When I used to work for Kurz we received a good amount of input from dealers and end users regarding pro stage pianos. They consistently asked for certain staple keyboard sounds - AC piano, EPs (Rhodes and Wurly at minimum), Clav and B3 plus synths/pads/strings (and an occasional request for harpsi).

The Nord Stage and Electro boards stick to this list pretty closely.

I think the demand for the clav increased as vintage keys sounds became more firmly established in the last 20 years. The Rhodes, Hammond B3 and Clav are now considered (by many) to be standard items in the palate of sounds, not unlike Strat or Les Paul guitars.
Lots of gigging players like the clavs for the obvious Stevie Wonder tunes but also for disco/funk/R&B, Bob Marley and the odd classic rock tune (The Stones' Heartbreaker, Floyd's Shine On or The Band's Up on Cripple Creek).

I usually use a clav patch if I'm in a live setting and have to cover the part of a rhythm guitar player on a song with no official keys part. I prefer that (or an amped Wurly) over playing a sampled guitar sound.

In my experience, AC pianos and EPs tend to require a lot more programming work than clavs, as their timbres are more complex and change more over the dynamic range from ppp to fff.

#2299992 - 07/08/14 07:36 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: Dave Weiser]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

To do a clav (an ancient acoustic clav, not sure about the electric versions) with any fidelity you need positional sensing keys - polyphonic aftertouch would actually be ideal because the note bend generally kicks in after the key hits a physical stop. In the real thing you can "bend" the pitch of a note up after playing it by applying more pressure. Is there any DP clav sim out there that replicates this? It's one of the main attractions to playing a clav IMO (not that I've ever played one, but I almost bought a fretted kit at one point).

#2299998 - 07/08/14 08:24 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: Dave Weiser]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
With everything said (and heard) in this thread so far, I'm just trying to figure out if the $3,995.00 price tag is justified.

#2300004 - 07/08/14 08:39 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: Dave Weiser]
Dave Weiser Offline

I'm just outside of Boston, Marko.
You're welcome to drop by sometime and check out the Forte if you like.
The enclosure on mine is prototype, but everything else is spec.
I've got it hooked up to some great speakers.
weiserdav@gmail.com

That is indeed a serious chunk of change. Still it's a bit lower than some of the competing boards like the Nord Stage2 88 ($4499 at Sweetwater, $4199 at B&H).

#2300020 - 07/08/14 09:33 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: Marko in Boston]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

That is indeed a serious chunk of change. Still it's a bit lower than some of the competing boards like the Nord Stage2 88 ($4499 at Sweetwater, $4199 at B&H).

~$4k for Fatar keys and 16GB total seems a bit steep, but then again all DPs are overpriced, particularly when compared to what you typically get in a PC-based sampler/sim.

Are there any plans in the works for downloadable sample sets? How large is the main AP sample? Do you think it would pass the DPBSD tests?

Not sure what's in the Forte, but what's the deal with DP manufacturers and custom processors? I'd think a multi core ARM or equivalent would be up to the task, you can get them for peanuts now.

#2300059 - 07/09/14 01:04 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: dewster]
Dave Weiser Offline

~$4k for Fatar keys and 16GB total seems a bit steep, but then again all DPs are overpriced, particularly when compared to what you typically get in a PC-based sampler/sim.

Are there any plans in the works for downloadable sample sets? How large is the main AP sample? Do you think it would pass the DPBSD tests?

Not sure what's in the Forte, but what's the deal with DP manufacturers and custom processors? I'd think a multi core ARM or equivalent would be up to the task, you can get them for peanuts now.

As a contractor I no longer participate in product planning.
(After 13 years as a full timer this is a blessing. I now only have to focus on creating programs!)
Don't know if they plan to release a non-hardware version of these sounds. I personally would love to see that. Don't have an exact size on the samples. I don't know if they've gone public with that info, can't see why they wouldn't though.

Regarding processors - These days I'm pretty sure that the custom chips that Kurz and other companies use are not actually the problem when it comes to prices. I think it's everything else - the enclosure, the buttons, knobs, jacks, i/o and of course the action. We're talking about manufacturing thousands or tens of thousands of units compared to tens of millions of units for computer or cellphone components. Everything at that smaller scale is going to be more expensive.

But the trend with prices has been inching downward for the most part over the past 20 years. In the 90s the big Kurz boards could sell for $7-8k when fully loaded.

I'm sure the Forte would do well in some areas of the DPBSD test. (I'm pretty sure there's no stretching nor looping for example.)

#2300095 - 07/09/14 04:00 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: sullivang]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I find them harsh and grating.

Greg.

I don't think its a clav ....ask Garth wink

#2300112 - 07/09/14 05:58 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: Dave Weiser]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I asked Google instead - it's more accesible to me: http://www.discogs.com/Sherbet-Howzat/release/1988135

And you're wrong again, bigshot. smile

Greg.

#2300288 - 07/09/14 02:36 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: Dave Weiser]
Tuneless Offline

Loc: AZ, USA
[quote=dewster][quote=Dave Weiser]But the trend with prices has been inching downward for the most part over the past 20 years. In the 90s the big Kurz boards could sell for $7-8k when fully loaded.

And maybe those dollars were worth 60-80% more purchasing power 20 years ago than now due to inflation? That's a pretty big change.

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano(yet) and couldn't tune a guitar, much less a piano.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.

#2300314 - 07/09/14 03:42 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: Dave Weiser]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Don't have an exact size on the samples. I don't know if they've gone public with that info, can't see why they wouldn't though.

Sample size used to be stated with a certain amount of pride, these days it's generally in the trade secret / embarrassment category.

Regarding processors - These days I'm pretty sure that the custom chips that Kurz and other companies use are not actually the problem when it comes to prices. I think it's everything else - the enclosure, the buttons, knobs, jacks, i/o and of course the action. We're talking about manufacturing thousands or tens of thousands of units compared to tens of millions of units for computer or cellphone components. Everything at that smaller scale is going to be more expensive.

All the more reason not to go custom in terms of processors. You need large teams to even have a hope of keeping up with the dedicated and focused efforts of others. Then there is fab, tool support, etc. which can't be worth it for the small production run a DP sees.

But the trend with prices has been inching downward for the most part over the past 20 years. In the 90s the big Kurz boards could sell for $7-8k when fully loaded.

I can see the physical design components coming down a lot with modern engineering and particularly cheap labor. Computing hardware is trending towards almost nothing in comparison, even in small quantities. So I don't understand custom anything in that department. Put a USB3 port on the front and stop charging us through the nose for mass sample memory storage.

#2300437 - 07/09/14 09:03 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: Dave Weiser]
Yasu Offline

Really wish this had a sequencer on board - looking to replace a K2500XS I bought new back around 2002 or so thats getting a little long in the tooth. Although for home use, and I have Studio One software - there are times I prefer to just turn the Kurz on and capture ideas for later that I use the onboard sequencer for.

I did just recently purchase a Roland DP90e for the cottage for it's minimalist console design which has an on board sequencer - though I"m not thrilled with the 'on board' speakers!

#2300708 - 07/10/14 12:11 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: Dave Weiser]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Ragging on the clavinet continued...

I'd be all over having a good clavichord sample (or two) in my DP.

Pianoforte and tack piano samples would also be welcome.

If you need room to put those in there, feel free to remove the "funky clav" and "honky-tonk" voices.

#2301041 - 07/11/14 09:47 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: sullivang]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I asked Google instead - it's more accesible to me: http://www.discogs.com/Sherbet-Howzat/release/1988135

And you're wrong again, bigshot. smile

Greg.

Older I get ...wronger I become

#2306436 - 07/24/14 11:57 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: Dave Weiser]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
New Forte demo by Adam Berzowski at Kraft Music:

#2306477 - 07/24/14 01:57 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: Dave Weiser]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Adam is a fine pianist, but geez he plays bad piano pieces in his demos...

#2306485 - 07/24/14 02:13 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: Dave Weiser]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
ando,
yeah, he plays that same opening riff for all his piano demos it seems. Sometimes I wish he would mix it up a bit more, but I guess there is value in being able to compare different brands by hearing the same pianist play the same things on them. Mike Martin from Casio does a similar thing, he has a riff that seems to be distinctly his. I think he may play it in all of his demo videos, or at least most of them. smile

#2306522 - 07/24/14 03:04 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: fizikisto]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: fizikisto
ando,
yeah, he plays that same opening riff for all his piano demos it seems. Sometimes I wish he would mix it up a bit more, but I guess there is value in being able to compare different brands by hearing the same pianist play the same things on them. Mike Martin from Casio does a similar thing, he has a riff that seems to be distinctly his. I think he may play it in all of his demo videos, or at least most of them. smile

The thing is, it didn't demonstrate anything about the strengths of the Kurzweil Forte. He makes a big deal about 4GB of full-length, un-looped samples, then plays this naff rubbish without a long held note amongst it. Even a couple of single held notes to show the long decay and lack of looping would be better than that tired old "riff" - to me that's not even real music. Who plays like that? It's elevator music at best - or cheesy salesperson music at worst.

#2306547 - 07/24/14 03:33 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: ando]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ando
He makes a big deal about 4GB of full-length, un-looped samples, then plays this naff rubbish without a long held note amongst it. Even a couple of single held notes to show the long decay and lack of looping would be better than that tired old "riff" - to me that's not even real music.

Probably gotta forgive him, years of valiantly trying to make DP drek sound acceptable has likely ingrained the habit of playing short, quick notes.

@ 0:22 it looks like the DP is on the Z-stand backwards?

He's got the hipster beard and duds, now all he needs is some tats and a give-a-sh*t attitude and he'd disappear into the crowd at NAMM.

#2307102 - 07/25/14 06:01 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte demos! [Re: dewster]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
He's got the hipster beard and duds, now all he needs is some tats and a give-a-sh*t attitude and he'd disappear into the crowd at NAMM.

You forgot to mention the type II diabetes, the alarming colour contrast between hair and beard and of course that shirt. The shirt in fact is so horrific it distracts from the cheapo 'Kurzweil' and 'forte' graphics on the piano. So in that sense it's a great shirt I suppose.

The piano sounds ok though - the nine footer anyway. And despite the sausage fingers he can play very well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This is punny
by Tango Vic
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
A brisk Fall day, a room to myself, and a large piano.
by TwoSnowflakes
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Mixer for live-use
by Auver
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Question on Kawai CA65 functions
by ColinDS
Yesterday at 04:30 PM
40 year old self-taught in love with Bach - What to do?
by pinkfloydhomer
Yesterday at 04:23 PM
Who's Online
65 registered (Beemer, angga888, Allard, 15 invisible), 1082 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76591 Members
42 Forums
158373 Topics
2325571 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission