Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2299627 - 07/07/14 07:09 PM Kawai KDP90 ; Casio PX-350, Kawai CL36
PedrojbP Offline

Hello,
I've posted once in this forum few weeks ago asking for feedback about buying PX-350, and I followed people advice and went to some stores to try some pianos.
Sadly near where I live, I went to 7 different stores and they either didn't have Casio products in stock or they don't do business with casio at all.
Yet, i've tried both Kawai KDP-39 and CL36 and it felt pretty good.

So, considering I actually liked the touch of these and that I'm aware Casio speakers literally suck (i'll use headphones), being me a truly beginner, which price is the best deal?
PX-350 for 800 (includes wooden stand, pedals and a bench)
Kawai KDP90 for 900
Kawai CL36 for 750

Thanks

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2299664 - 07/07/14 10:04 PM Re: Kawai KDP90 ; Casio PX-350, Kawai CL36 [Re: PedrojbP]
khopin Offline

Loc: Uruguay
Hello PedrojbP
It depends what is more important to you.
If you prefer better sound and key action go for CL36, but if the furniture is a must to you, then go for KDP90.
I had a CL36 and I can say that is a very good piano, the best I have tried in its size.
Which one likes you the most?

#2299693 - 07/08/14 12:28 AM Re: Kawai KDP90 ; Casio PX-350, Kawai CL36 [Re: khopin]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
That's a tough set of DP's to compare.

The PX-350 is portable, has a full set of drum-pattern accompaniments, full "General MIDI" voices (250 or so), auto-accompaniment, auto-harmonize. The speakers are weak. The keyboard action, you really need to judge for yourself.

The other two are console pianos, with limited "non-piano" voices. And you know that you find the keyboard actions OK.

I suppose I'd say something like this:

. . . If you value the features in the PX-350, buy it "blind",
. . . and hope that the action pleases you. Worst case,
. . . return it (if that's possible).

. . . If you _don't_ value the features in the PX-350, buy
. . . one of the other two.

"Gear acquisition syndrome" (GAS) has a cousin:

. . . Gear analysis paralysis (GAP)

which is what happens when you spend six months figuring out what DP to buy. And changing the analysis, as new models appear.<g>

. Charles

PS -- I like my PX-350. I haven't played the Kawai's. So I'm not just biased -- I'm ignorant, as well!<g>

#2299697 - 07/08/14 12:45 AM Re: Kawai KDP90 ; Casio PX-350, Kawai CL36 [Re: PedrojbP]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Also the PX-350 has Line Outs, so you can add better monitors (speakers) later on for improved sound. The sounds themselves on the Casio are quite nice. And while the speakers aren't going to blow anybody away, in a quiet room they are more than adequate. And yes, a lot of people find the casio actions to be quite serviceable, but as Charles notes, your opinion of the action can only be determined by trying it for yourself.

warm regards,

#2299729 - 07/08/14 04:03 AM Re: Kawai KDP90 ; Casio PX-350, Kawai CL36 [Re: PedrojbP]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
If you`re able to, why not try out Rolands and Yamahas? I shouldn`t think you`ll go wrong with any of your choices once you get playing music and forget what it is you play on . . but it`s good to fish around.

""

#2299762 - 07/08/14 07:16 AM Re: Kawai KDP90 ; Casio PX-350, Kawai CL36 [Re: PedrojbP]
PedrojbP Offline

" "Gear acquisition syndrome" (GAS) has a cousin:

. . . Gear analysis paralysis (GAP) "
-->This is indeed true... but only because all my gathering of information was through internet without ever trying it "live" ahah.

"Also the PX-350 has Line Outs, so you can add better monitors (speakers) later on for improved sound. The sounds themselves on the Casio are quite nice"
--> I already thought of this, yet there is still something that bothers me: A lot of people seem to complain about "vibrations" in this piano, I saw a video of it on youtube called Casio PX-350 sound glitch ( youtube.com/watch?v=zY2TvFKFbPQ ) and I'm not sure if in case this happened to me aswell it would persist even though I'd use headphones or ext. speakers

"If you`re able to, why not try out Rolands and Yamahas?"
--> I don't know much about Roland's, also the Yamahas are the best and most genuine but also the most expensive, so the one I've read that is worth more buying rather than px-350 is the P155 but that's just too expensive

#2300023 - 07/08/14 10:11 PM Re: Kawai KDP90 ; Casio PX-350, Kawai CL36 [Re: PedrojbP]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: PedrojbP
. . .
"Also the PX-350 has Line Outs, so you can add better monitors (speakers) later on for improved sound. The sounds themselves on the Casio are quite nice"
--> I already thought of this, yet there is still something that bothers me: A lot of people seem to complain about "vibrations" in this piano, I saw a video of it on youtube called Casio PX-350 sound glitch ( youtube.com/watch?v=zY2TvFKFbPQ ) and I'm not sure if in case this happened to me as well it would persist even though I'd use headphones or ext. speakers

I haven't heard much, about that problem, in the past six months.

I suspect it was caused by wires, rattling against the cabinet ("sympathetic vibration") when certain bass notes were played. If that _was_ the problem, the factory may have cured it:

. . . You put some silicone sealant (or a plastic
. . . wire tie) at the "rattle point"
. . . during assembly, to hold the wire(s) in place.

It was a problem _only_ when the PX-350's internal speakers were used. Never with headphones. I don't recall anyone who had the problem when using external speakers -- they probably don't shake the case enough to evoke the rattle.

. Charles

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CN24 vs Kawai CA65 Vs Acoustic
by Luca33
1 minute 18 seconds ago
What happpened to the "edit" button?
by jim ialeggio
Today at 07:38 AM
AMusA reports?
by Badinage
Today at 07:03 AM
Dipabrsm starting as an adult?
by Franz Beebert
Today at 06:37 AM
Just Checked out a Richmond Studio upright
by Paul678
Today at 06:01 AM
Who's Online
107 registered (Anne'sson, AndresD, Allard, 36251, 38 invisible), 1161 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157686 Topics
2316119 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission