2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
OP Offline
A
Hello everybody and thanks for the welcome. I am a solo gigging musician living in Ibiza, Spain. I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I own a Kawai MP11 for about 6 days now. I first tried the Mp7 for about 2 weeks but returned it because I was not satisfied with the AP sounds and the action. The dealer took it back but warned me that I will not be able to return or exchange the MP11 because they had to order it exclusively for me since they did not have one in stock and no one else wants it. I previously owned (for almost 20 years) a Yamaha Clavinova PF 100E but it has seen better days and the velocity sensors were giving me trouble. My problem is, I have tried everything humanly possible to get a decent Concert Grand sound out of my MP11 but it is impossible. Alarm bells already rang when neither the MP7 nor the MP11 sounded right on my Sennheiser headphones. I use a Yamaha EMX 5000 powered mixer with passive JBL EON 1500 Speakers. I am not here to bash the MP11. The EPs and the Grand Feel action are sensational. I have spent almost 3 weeks now battling with the Virtual Technician to get ONE good Acoustic Piano. Just ONE. That's all I need. ONE. I am beaten and highly frustrated. The sound is either thin and dull from 1 octave under middle C and upwards or harsh and "tinny" when I raise the brilliance, brightness, or high EQ gain. I beg any knowledgeable MP11 owners out there to give me advice on how to set the Virtual Technician and EQ. My wife is walking around with this I told you so grin for the last few days like Kramer from Seinfeld. Help me somebody. Everything else about the MP11 is great and has added class and an unequaled stage presence.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
It is possible that you were so accustomed to the sound of your previous DP that that has become your benchmark? 20 years is a long time to listen to one piano sound. What are you comparing your sound to?

Is your problem with the sound while gigging (over loudspeakers) or is it just with the headphones? More than likely you will use different settings for home and for gigging.

Now if you want to absolute best piano sound, you will have to go the software route. I really haven't heard anything that gets as close as most of the software out there.

Or if you really just love your old Yamaha sound, hook it up via MIDI and play the sound through the MP11.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
OP Offline
A
You may be right about me being hung up on the old Yamaha sound. I gave the Yamaha to my Son's ex grade school and promised to repair the velocity sensors when I get the time. Can't take it back now. I'm gigging 6 days a week. The MP11 looks so classy and impressive on stage!! (Can't get over it). I get people walking up to the stage commenting on how great it looks and asking about price and where to acquire one. I perform for about 300 people every night. I have a repertoire ranging from light Jazz to Soul and Jazz Ballads , Boogie, Jive, and 50s Rock n Roll (Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, etc).That said,my problem is while gigging. A few tweaks will always bring out the best in the MP11 over headphones. And they are high quality headphones.I accept that it could also be my PA sound system. But, there is still a fullness missing in this DP that I always had in the Yamaha. Having paid 2179 €uros in cash for the MP11,I am not in a position to buy any new sound gear right now. I was hoping for some advice on EQ settings. There are two pages of settings in the EQ display page. I don't know how to use the second page. Surely there must be some knowledgeable person out there who knows these things. I thank you all in advance and will be grateful for any help.

Last edited by Abby Pianoman; 07/08/14 10:53 AM.
M
M
I'm not much help for the EQ stuff, but sounds to me like you'd want to bring out the mid-range a bit, or lessen the highs. Have you played around with the Jazz piano sounds? Or are you speaking strictly of the Concert Grand. I think the Concert Grand is a better solo piano sound, but in a gigging situation where there's probably noise you are playing over, you may need something slightly different.

If nothing works, it maybe be time to upgrade your speakers. Hey, it's all tax-deductible, right? smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
OP Offline
A
By the way.RE:The software route. I bought the MP11 in order not to have computers and other stuff on stage. I am a solo artist and I already move a Van load of equipment every day. The MP11 plus case already weighs 44 kilos.I am though keeping an open mind and would be interested in any recommendations on which is the best Piano software to buy. And thank you for your prompt reply.

A
OP Offline
A
It is indeed tax-deductible but not entirely. I was speaking strictly about the Concert Grand. I wanted to get one Piano sound right, before moving on to the others. I did like the 2nd Jazz Grand but it too needs a bit of tweaking. Make no mistake, I love the Piano (My back hates it!!). I just would like to get it's full potential across to the audience. I enjoy it on headphones at home. But I am the only listener.

A
OP Offline
A
44 kilos is 96.8 pounds

A
OP Offline
A
I have been following this forum everyday for over a month now. The posts here convinced me to make the big jump and get myself a Kawa MP11. I don't regret that decision. Because I've rewarded myself with an exquisite Instrument. I just hoped someone could give me a few tips. Maybe Kawai James could jump in? Anybody?

Last edited by Abby Pianoman; 07/08/14 11:34 AM.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Abby Pianoman, I think you may have to accept the MP for what it is. Despite the Virtual Technician and excellent EQ control, the original samples are the basis for the sound - and compared to both Yamaha and Roland they are a little thinner and can sound a touch brittle/harsh. You don't get quite the same fullness of tone with the Kawai - one might describe it as more "delicate," but also less "hyped" than, say, the SN pianos. Obviously, if you start with a very rich and full sound, you can subtract from it, but you can't effectively add what isn't there.

I have the MP7, and I agree with your assessment that the EPs are great, but it is more difficult to find a "meaty" AP sound. Despite the 88-note sampling of the main concert grand, it sounds to me like the older concert grand 2 has pretty obvious, and quite wide, stretch groups (at least on the MP7), and so is not really a fully capable alternative. The best suggestion I can offer is to try working on the Jazz Grand (1), which, although based on the same main CG sample, is EQ'd for a slightly thicker-sounding mid-range. I'd also echo Morodiene's comments about the EQ curve. I, too, would be inclined to tame the highs and boost the lower mids. It might be best to do this when connected to your PA system, so that you tailor the sound to suit your main gigging gear.

A number of people have said it takes a little while to "acclimatize" to the new MPs, and you may find yourself becoming more accepting of the sound as you persevere. Good luck!

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by voxpops
...if you start with a very rich and full sound, you can subtract from it, but you can't effectively add what isn't there...it is more difficult to find a "meaty" AP sound...

Try layering 2 or even more APs.

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
P
P
Abby pianoman, I have an mp11 and to get a fuller sound I put the lid closing on 1 and the brightness on -3 and turn the touch to heavy+ plus adjust the eq. You,ll have to adjust the sound to go with your speakers. Im using these on the concert grand which work great on ballads and jazz for more of a rock sounding piano I just switch the touch to heavy and turn up the brightness.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by doremi
Originally Posted by voxpops
...if you start with a very rich and full sound, you can subtract from it, but you can't effectively add what isn't there...it is more difficult to find a "meaty" AP sound...

Try layering 2 or even more APs.

According to Kawai James in an earlier thread:

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Regarding the MP11's sections functionality, you are correct - I'm afraid it is not possible to layer two acoustic pianos together.

A
OP Offline
A
Hi Piano Mike. What speakers do you use?
And Ando, can you layer multiple APs on MP11?

Last edited by Abby Pianoman; 07/08/14 01:34 PM.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Abby Pianoman
Hi Piano Mike. What speakers do you use?
And Ando, can you layer multiple APs on MP11?

According to James (he's the guy who writes the user manuals for these things), it's not possible to layer multiple APs on the MP11. Sorry that's not the news you wanted.

It sounds like you have really turned over every stone looking for the solution to your tone problem. Maybe the Kawai tone isn't the one for you. Since you have lots of people showing interest in your MP11 when you are gigging, maybe you can find a buyer for it - then you can return to Yamaha or maybe Roland and find something more to your liking there. Best of luck in your search.

A
OP Offline
A
I also want to thank you all for the prompt and helpful replies. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me. It will save me weeks of trial and error. I leave my Piano in the car on workdays and only drag it to my first floor apartment on my day off (no elevator). Today. Got it all set up in my living room now. And tomorrow will try all your tips on my PA System.

M
M
I also want to thank you all for the prompt and helpful replies. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me. It will save me weeks of trial and error. I leave my Piano in the car on workdays and only drag it to my first floor apartment on my day off (no elevator). Today. Got it all set up in my living room now. And tomorrow will try all your tips on my PA System.

I'm sure with all the tweaking capabilities you'll be able to get something to work, and since it sounds great in your headphones, it's not the DP that's the problem, just in combination with your speakers.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
OP Offline
A
Ando. My dealer said he won't take it back. I tried the MP7 first for 2 weeks. Not many people here would buy the MP11 due to budget problems and the weight. He ordered rhis specifically for me and warned me in advance that he won't change it. Probably because it's harder to resell. Most people would probably go for the Mp7. And I really love this Piano. Sooner or later, wirh all the advice I'm getting from you guys, I will hit the sweet spot.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Morodiene

I'm sure with all the tweaking capabilities you'll be able to get something to work, and since it sounds great in your headphones, it's not the DP that's the problem, just in combination with your speakers.

I didn't read Abby's posts that way. I read it as the headphones being better than the PA, but still not satisfying and too thin.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Ando. My dealer said he won't take it back. I tried the MP7 first for 2 weeks. Not many people here would buy the MP11 due to budget problems and the weight. He ordered rhis specifically for me and warned me in advance that he won't change it. Probably because it's harder to resell. Most people would probably go for the Mp7. And I really love this Piano. Sooner or later, wirh all the advice I'm getting from you guys, I will hit the sweet spot.

I understand the dealer won't take it back, but you did post this:
I get people walking up to the stage commenting on how great it looks and asking about price and where to acquire one

So I don't think it's impossible that you could sell it - even if the market appeal is limited. You bought one! There must be others. You've tried hard to make it work (probably tried a thousand adjustments.) I just get the feeling there is a basic lack of "love" for the tone of this piano. You might have to break up and find a new love. It happens in life. By all means, keep trying, but if you can't make it work don't feel too bad, just look for something that suits you better. Best of luck!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Too bad that the MP11 with its 'sections' approach does not allow the layering of APs. I believe the MP7 with the different 'zones' approach does allow the layering of APs.

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission