Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2300192 - 07/09/14 09:58 AM Headphone selection & volume level...
Ben Boule Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I'm just curious if anyone has any knowledge of this.

I have been having trouble getting tension in my hands when playing my CN24.. I'm working with my teacher on this which is helping (I need to improve my technique), but I'm also pretty aware of how much the volume level on the digital piano affects this.

I bought Sony MDR-7506 headphones.. these have an impedance of 63 Ohm.. this turns out to mean they don't play very loud on a lot of devices. For example if I use them with my iPhone I have to turn the volume up to 3/4 or more and I would still have trouble listening to say Classical Piano recordings which have a lot of dynamic range. They are even worse on my Macbook Pro, it just can't drive them. Background here is higher impedance headphones require more amplification, it sounds like most devices these days are built assuming you are using small headphones which are typically 16 Ohm or less. I would have expected a device like a digital piano to have a more powerful amplifier considering it has a 1/4" jack and seems to assume you will be using larger headphones.

I am now using them on the CN24 and turning the volume on the CN24 up to about 8 out of 10. I started with 5, but what I think is happening is the headphones don't play very loud, so I end up hitting the keys harder and harder trying get a loud enough sound, which ends up contributing to me tensing up my hands/forearms.

Has anyone encountered this? I don't have trouble when I do not use headphones or when I use an acoustic (lessons), but the whole point of using a digital piano is I need to play almost all the time with headphones. Is there answer that I should just set my volume to a high level on the piano? Try different headphones, etc.. ? I did just order a portable headphone amplifier, I may try that and see if it allows me to play without turning the volume on the piano up so loud. The volume level on the piano also seems to affect the amount of dynamic range when playing piano vs forte too.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2300223 - 07/09/14 11:42 AM Re: Headphone selection & volume level... [Re: Ben Boule]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

The impedance and sensitivity both contribute to the volume you get from headphones. And it does make a difference to the quality of the sound (and therefore responsiveness), as well as the (perceived) dynamic range.

When I play Kawai or Yamaha DPs, I find I have to set the volume control at a higher level than I do on my Roland V-Piano, when using my headphones. Often at the maximum volume, when using the store's provided headphones, and even then still not loud enough to come close to what a real piano would sound when played with the same force.

I've never used any Sony headphones, but all the ones I have - AKG K271 MkII, Grado SR325is and Klipsch Image X10i (earphones) have impedance of 55 ohm or lower, and sensitivity of 95 SPL/V or higher. And they all work fine with my MacBook Pro and my iPod Touch and iPod Classic.

It sounds like if your Mac can't successfully drive your Sony, you'll need to get a headphone amplifier, or else change your headphones. Do it soon, before you injure yourself........

#2300239 - 07/09/14 12:34 PM Re: Headphone selection & volume level... [Re: Ben Boule]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I think you need to set the speaker volume and also the headphone volume, so that as best you can and recall, it matches the volume of an acoustic for a given key strike velocity. Now play GENTLY without tension. When using speakers I wear musicians earplugs a lot of the time, and for the headphones I will turn the volume down a touch, or else that way tinnitus and deafness lies IMHO. This does help develop a light touch, with no hitting the keys unless the dynamics and piece calls for it, and even then hitting is not the way. Do you have a teacher?

#2300303 - 07/09/14 03:25 PM Re: Headphone selection & volume level... [Re: Ben Boule]
lolatu Offline

Loc: UK
I have the same headphones and although I'm no expert, they seem very loud to me. Certainly a lot louder than my old Sennheisers. On the CA95, 1/4 of the way up on the volume slider is more than sufficient, so I have to turn the volume down when switching from speakers. Though different models will have different power levels in their headphone amps.

#2300324 - 07/09/14 04:02 PM Re: Headphone selection & volume level... [Re: Ben Boule]
Ben Boule Offline

It does sound like different models might have different power outputs. When searching this forum I could have sworn I saw something about a separate headphone volume on the CN34, the CN24 doesn't not seem to have that, so certainly there could be some difference. edit: I just checked the manuals.. it looks like the CN34 and other higher end models have a setting for higher impedance headphones that would solve this.

I do have a teacher, I mentioned that in the first post.. this volume issue is a smaller part of a larger problem. I'm working a lot on trying to relax my hands/arms at the moment.

Edited by Ben Boule (07/09/14 04:06 PM)

#2300355 - 07/09/14 05:10 PM Re: Headphone selection & volume level... [Re: Ben Boule]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
There is nothing "bad" about having the volume control on a DP set to max. If it's loud enough on 8/10 (or 10/10) then you don't have a problem.

Greg.

#2301072 - 07/11/14 11:06 AM Re: Headphone selection & volume level... [Re: Ben Boule]
Ben Boule Offline

OK, once I got the headphone amp in hand I've decided you are right Greg.. no need to use it with my CN24, the CN24 is plenty powerful on it's own. However it sure is great with my iPhone or my PC for listening to music.

Edited by Ben Boule (07/11/14 11:06 AM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kissin plays...
by JoelW
6 minutes 13 seconds ago
For Sale : True Keys Pianos (bundle) American,Italian,Ger
man

by imyself
Today at 05:51 PM
Dream Keys Complete - Your Opinion Please
by Vas
Today at 04:56 PM
First tuning my piano with TuneLab
by Pablo Arturi
Today at 04:03 PM
Getting back into it
by Upside
Today at 03:32 PM
Who's Online
124 registered (anotherscott, 255, AEMontoya, 36251, 31 invisible), 1243 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157569 Topics
2314449 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission