Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2300577 - Today at 05:08 AM Multiple sound engines?
Nordomus Offline

I was wondering... are there any digital pianos with multiple sound engines? That would be great. When I was searching for digital piano for myself there were 2 main factors- sound and keyboard. And none of the instruments were perfect in that regard. For example I would take Kawai DP with Roland sound, I mean it wouldn't have to be Roland but you get my point? When in acoustic instruments it's impossible, then in digital ones IT IS possible, then why aren't there any digital pianos with 2 or more sound engines? It's not worth the effort?

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2300583 - Today at 06:05 AM Re: Multiple sound engines? [Re: Nordomus]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
It's not normal to have a completely different sound engine, but some DPs - especially stage pianos - have different sample sets. Nord pianos have different sample sets of very different character and are designed to be open ended: ie you can download alternative sounds and sample sets. This is mostly useful for professional gigging.

The Roland RD800 apparently has at least 2 SN pianos (rather than variations on the same one) as well as a version of the Virtual Piano. There will also be less remarkable piano samples as well (pop piano, honky tonk piano etc).

But if you want to experiment in this area, linking up to a computer is the obvious way to go. For relatively little extra money (more or less $100 a time) you can get completely new, different, alternative sound engines: Ivory II (industry standard virtual piano), True Keys (competition for Ivory), Galaxy Vintage D (the VST of choice on this forum, probably), Pianoteq (state of the art modelled pianos and other instrument sets).

But it depends what exactly you mean by 'sound engine' in this context.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2300605 - Today at 08:14 AM Re: Multiple sound engines? [Re: toddy]
Nordomus Offline

Well I mean completely different sampled sound, not just variations of one piano. Is there a way to put those "sound engines" from computer into digital instrument? Never heard of such possibility.

#2300618 - Today at 08:39 AM Re: Multiple sound engines? [Re: Nordomus]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

As I said above, I think you can do that with Nord - great for gigging. And the Roland RD800, for example, has pianos from different original sources onboard, and of fundamentally different types.

However, the obvious way to explore this easily and cheaply is with a computer - which can be a smartphone, I'd have thought, these days - certainly a pad of some sort would be OK.

#2300631 - Today at 09:13 AM Re: Multiple sound engines? [Re: Nordomus]
David Farley Online   content

Loc: Illinois
Originally Posted By: Nordomus
I was wondering... are there any digital pianos with multiple sound engines? That would be great. When I was searching for digital piano for myself there were 2 main factors- sound and keyboard. And none of the instruments were perfect in that regard. For example I would take Kawai DP with Roland sound, I mean it wouldn't have to be Roland but you get my point? When in acoustic instruments it's impossible, then in digital ones IT IS possible, then why aren't there any digital pianos with 2 or more sound engines? It's not worth the effort?

But if you did specifically want the Roland sound with a different brand action, this would solve that problem for you. Basically the cost of another DP, but it's packed with fun things.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Integra7

Like others noted, if you're looking for boards with multiple sample sets, those exist. My CP4 has the CFX, CFIII and S6. (By astonishing coincidence these all happen to be Yamaha pianos, though...)

#2300644 - Today at 09:38 AM Re: Multiple sound engines? [Re: Nordomus]
emenelton Online   content

The Nord Stage 2 has multiple sound engines.

1. Synth with waveform compatibility
2. B-3
3. Piano (yamaha, bosendorfer and steinway)

Whats more it has 2 of each

#2300721 - Today at 12:52 PM Re: Multiple sound engines? [Re: toddy]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC.
Originally Posted By: toddy

The Roland RD800 apparently has at least 2 SN pianos (rather than variations on the same one) as well as a version of the Virtual Piano. There will also be less remarkable piano samples as well (pop piano, honky tonk piano etc).

But it depends what exactly you mean by 'sound engine' in this context.

If we're talking about DIFFERENT Supernatural instrument types.

On an RD800, we have Acoustic Grand, Upright and Honky Tonk pianos. (Total of 37 different variations, each with their own characteristics)

Then Tine and Reed AND Clav type SuperNatural Electric Pianos with variations on each.

Then the Virtual tone wheel Organ with 10 variations.

Then the remaining PCM Voices.

Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but they are all distinctly different engines.

Jay
www.roland.ca
t: RCMPianoGuy

#2300730 - Today at 01:17 PM Re: Multiple sound engines? [Re: Jay Roland]
Nordomus Offline

They really are? For example grand piano types sound like moddified samples of the first one. It's the same on Kawai and Yamaha(those I've tested). Maybe I said it wrong. I meant more diffrent sampled isntruments. Like I could have Steinway, Kawai and Yamaha in one digital instrument smile

#2300740 - Today at 01:42 PM Re: Multiple sound engines? [Re: Nordomus]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Roland has at least two sample sources, I believe - though I don't have proof as such. Also a version of the V-piano which is modelled.

David Farley says about a Yamaha stage piano: my CP4 has the CFX, CFIII and S6.

The Nord, according to emenelton can upload and play yamaha, bosendorfer and steinway pianos.

So there is plenty to be going on with there, even before you get to using VSTi where the scope in terms of what you're asking about is limitless, and not tied to any one brand, piano maker, software system or sound engine type.

....so I think the answer to your question is 'yes' in Spem in alium style polyphony.

#2300766 - Today at 02:44 PM Re: Multiple sound engines? [Re: Nordomus]
fizikisto Online   content

Loc: Hernando, MS
Toddy,
Yes, that's one of the main advantages of the Nord's that can access the piano library. They can install samples of several different instruments. In addition to the grand pianos you mentioned, they also have a beautifully sampled fazioli. And some of their pianos have varying sample sets with different characters. I'm not positive but I have the impression that they actually revoiced some of the instruments and resampled them rather than just tweaking the samples digitally. Maybe someone knows that for sure, but in any case it gives you a lot of options. And there are many more uprights sampled, in addition to a variety of electric piano, harpsichord, and clav sample sets. And every several months Nord seems to add something to the list that's available. I think that's a huge part of the Nord's appeal. It's not just the quality of their sample sets, it is also their diversity. smile

#2300781 - 28 minutes 13 seconds ago Re: Multiple sound engines? [Re: Nordomus]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC.
Originally Posted By: Nordomus
They really are? For example grand piano types sound like moddified samples of the first one. It's the same on Kawai and Yamaha(those I've tested). Maybe I said it wrong. I meant more diffrent sampled isntruments. Like I could have Steinway, Kawai and Yamaha in one digital instrument smile

Definitely different sets.

Concert Grand is a different instrument than NX Concert Grand, which is again different from Brilliant Grand and again different from Studio Grand. They're based on different instruments. The variations on each of these types are the modified examples of the original.

Jay
www.roland.ca
t: RCMPianoGuy

#2300791 - 2 minutes 19 seconds ago Re: Multiple sound engines? [Re: Nordomus]
David Farley Online   content

Loc: Illinois
The Yamaha CLP-585 has sample sets for the CFX and Bosendorfer Imperial.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
161 registered (accordeur, albumblatter, ajames, Almaviva, 52 invisible), 1704 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155774 Topics
2287169 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First Digital Piano - Casio AP250 or Roland RP301?
by Jorgeb
07/10/14 02:07 PM
Interested in an Exam Program; Which One Best in Eastern US?
by ClsscLib
07/10/14 10:40 AM
Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ?
by Abby Pianoman
07/10/14 10:02 AM
Lauberger & Gloss
by David, Las Vegas
07/10/14 09:40 AM
How do you measure progress?
by BrianDX
07/10/14 08:05 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission