2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2299968 07/08/14 06:25 PM
Y
Yacob Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Hey!

It is probably a question that have been asked before on this forum and piano players (Most instrumentalists in general) have different views on the topic. This might be the reason it is so hard to get constructive information on the subject regarding weight training. Lifting weights will definitely cause tensions in your muscles that can effect ones ability to play the piano, but at the same time also give better stamina and the ability to practice for longer periods of time.

I would like to ask if anyone of you have had some personal experiences with lifting weights, and have some ideas on how to avoid it getting a bad influence on your playing, maybe by doing stretching or taking yoga classes?

Last edited by Yacob; 07/08/14 07:25 PM.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Don't let your weight training time get in the way of your piano-practice time. Don't injure yourself. Get good nutrition.

That's about it.

Poetry is rhythm
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I took up weight/resistance training about 15 years ago, to improve my strength even while I was doing endurance sports (marathon running etc).

It had absolutely no effect on my piano playing. I've never had an injury from it (I don't count DOMS as 'injury') and I never stretch. Not even - especially not - for my running. I'm too inflexible to do yoga (I can't reach beyond my mid-shins with straight legs).

Trees aren't in danger of getting pushed over when I'm around.........

If music be the food of love, play on!
F
F
It all depends on what kind of weight training you will do, the intensity, etc... But note that "tension" is different from "forcing something". That isn't very clear in english, but the idea is that the stimulus on the muscle from strength training and from practicing at the piano is very different.
However, you can injure yourself. I'd recommend getting help from a professional, and saying that you are a musician, hopefully if they're good they'll know what to do.
Also, emphasize your back! People tend to not work that so much, since it's not that aesthetically obvious, but pianists can benefit a lot from sort of "opening up" the upper body. We already stay a lot of time "closed in", sitting on the piano.

Good luck! And as phantomFive said, nutrition is as important, if not more, than lifting weights if you want muscle mass gain.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I have done extensive weight training for years. It builds stamina in the performer, and with my schedule, I need it...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It is useful to be strong enough to lift the lid.

Learner
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Go to the ABF and page Mr. Super-Hunky. He's a weight trainer and pianist.

Gary
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Yacob
It is probably a question that have been asked before on this forum and piano players (Most instrumentalists in general) have different views on the topic.

It would vary with the requirements of the different instruments. I know a violinist in his 70's who bench presses 750 pounds. But they have to hold both arms up full time. We can rest the weight of our arms on the keyboard part of the time.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Yacob

Lifting weights will definitely cause tension in your muscles that can effect ones ability to play the piano, but at the same time also give better stamina and the ability to practice for longer periods of time.

I would like to ask if anyone of you have had some personal experiences with lifting weights, and have some ideas on how to avoid it getting a bad influence on your playing, maybe by doing stretching or taking yoga classes?

I lift weights regularly. I have several responses to your question:

1) Lifting weights doesn't cause tension in your muscles in the way you're thinking. The concept of a "musclebound" person being less flexible is mostly wrong - if you don't really do any exercise, you're more likely to have lower flexibility than someone who lifts weights. Lifting weights does increase your muscle tone, which technically is the amount of neutral tension in your muscles, but that doesn't reduce your flexibility.

2) Lifting weights does, in me at least, use up some of the same mental and physical stamina that piano playing takes. On a regular day, I lift and play the piano both, but if I lift especially hard one day, I'm likely not to play very long later that evening, and if I want a really hard, deep practice session, I'll skip lifting.

3) By the same token, making progress in piano and weight lifting is very similar. They both require regularity, dedication, and a lot of mental focus to see the rewards of putting time in. As someone who's good at those things already in piano, you'll have an edge on someone who doesn't have that background if you take up weight lifting. Really focus on efficiency in your body movements, stop immediately if you feel any pain, don't let yourself space out - these all apply to both activities. Injuries happen in both piano and weight lifting (and anything else physical) when you try to push through pain without listening to your body.

4) Do intense stretching exercises or yoga if you like, but again, this seems to be a concern of yours based on the erroneous belief that having muscles makes you inflexible. Not true. However, studies have shown that stretching some along with lifting weights gives you more muscular growth, so by all means, stretch as part of your weightlifting exercises.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarkH

...On a regular day, I lift and play the piano both...

Now there's a delightful bit of ambiguity!

Learner

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission