Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
86 registered (Artur Gajewski, ando, angga888, 23 invisible), 1123 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2302551 - 07/15/14 11:29 AM The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Yes, it's that time already and it's truly difficult to get too ambitious in the sultry heat of summer (unless you're "down under" suffering thru the frigid days of winter) but you should probably be putting the finishing (or semi-finishing) touches on your Aug. 15th ABF Recital piece about now ...

I've been working on mine since before Christmas last year (interrupted by a re-working of "Ashokan Farewell" for the May Recital) and I'm in the home stretch on it's mastery and domination...although it's a piece of a nature that seems to dominate me more than I it - it seems to "take control" with a passionate "mind" of it's own when I play it and I become enthralled and mesmerized and it just simply "takes over" and has it's way with me (sort of like some women in my past life)...it's been an elusive "phantom" for me to direct and control, so to speak...

Good luck and have fun (if you dare) boys and girls!

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2302554 - 07/15/14 11:37 AM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
First I would need to decide which piece... A Scarlatti sonata or one of my 3 romantic pieces? I think if I concentrate on one of them a bit more I could have it ready before August 11th. That's when I will have my first lesson of the term and I anticipate my teacher will find a lot to make better... So it's best to finish the recording before that...

#2302574 - 07/15/14 01:09 PM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Part of me finally understood that I need to submit to the e-citals something that's below my level, at least a little bit, and that I thoroughly studied and digested for months... but the other part wants to share what I'm working on and where I am at right now, even if it won't be very easy to record nor very nice to hear.

I have the millionth Bach minuet ready, it's fast and sounds okay but seriously, another one?
And I have a much longer and more complicated 19th century minuet which is labeled beginner/intermediate, with a beautiful melody and lots of tricky pedal changes... I know I shouldn't, but I will probably try to record this one. I'm also working on a simplified Cole Porter song (don't know why but I have such a hard time learning the left hand in this kind of things) and a Diabelli duet, but I don't think those will be recordable any time soon.

#2302601 - 07/15/14 02:26 PM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Quote:
I have the millionth Bach minuet ready, it's fast and sounds okay but seriously, another one?

Why not? They are terrific.

#2302628 - 07/15/14 03:24 PM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Not another Bach please eek wink Please send Bach to some course on how to write beautiful melodies first. I'm voting for a more complicated romantic minuet with beautiful melody!

My piece is ready to roll. Recorded a few weeks ago after my piano was tuned and the pedal finally finally is not squeaking anymore yippie . Well in fact I have two pieces recorded that both are really nice but I think I know which one will be submitted.

And thanks TrapperJohn for the reminder!

#2302632 - 07/15/14 03:41 PM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Well,unfortunately some Bach from me this time too. I got smart and have it all ready in advance. In fact, I'm finishing up some Chopin so it's time to get that recorderd for Novemeber!

#2302660 - 07/15/14 04:39 PM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Don't get me wrong, I simply adore Bach. But I can't tackle anything more difficult than minuets for now - just started my 6th one. I'll keep them for myself and go for a less known piece.

#2302662 - 07/15/14 04:41 PM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I am in big, big trouble. The piece I wanted to record is not ready to even think about tackling the Red Dot. And I am going to be out of town 16 of the next 28 days. eek I may have to resort to Plan B.

#2302687 - 07/15/14 05:18 PM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn
...a piece of a nature that seems to dominate me more than I it - it seems to "take control" with a passionate "mind" of it's own when I play it and I become enthralled and mesmerized and it just simply "takes over" and has it's way with me (sort of like some women in my past life)...it's been an elusive "phantom" for me to direct and control, so to speak...

Uh oh, a disaster beyond imagination is about to occur!!!

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2302711 - 07/15/14 06:01 PM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: wouter79]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: wouter79
Please send Bach to some course on how to write beautiful melodies first.

Bach couldn't write melody, that's for sure. ;-)

#2302726 - 07/15/14 06:19 PM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
I adore Bach too. I really had fun bringing my next submission to the ready. I can't wait to share it!!

#2302732 - 07/15/14 06:39 PM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
More Bach please - he's the man

#2302766 - 07/15/14 09:00 PM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: earlofmar]
AndrewJCW Offline

Loc: Middle of nowhere, Australia
Hello, can someone explain how the recital works? Do you just do a recording of a classical piece to a high standard for you? I'm a beginner working my way through the Alfred's book, wondering if I could participate.

Edited by AndrewAJC (07/15/14 09:00 PM)

#2302770 - 07/15/14 09:12 PM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: AndrewJCW]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: AndrewAJC
Hello, can someone explain how the recital works? Do you just do a recording of a classical piece to a high standard for you? I'm a beginner working my way through the Alfred's book, wondering if I could participate.

Yes, absolutely! Check out previous recitals (http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page).

Yes, there are classical pieces to high standards. And much easier too. There's pop, there's jazz, there's new age, there's whatever I play ... (just kidding, it's been classical so far for me).

I'm not sure what I'll be playing this time around. I have one piece relatively close and it should be ready in time. But if not there's a piece I played a while back but never recorded and I play it from time to time, just to keep it within reach. Decisions, decisions ...

Kawai K3

#2302778 - 07/15/14 09:30 PM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
AndrewJCW Offline

Ok great! My current idea is to play this piece. Souvenir d'enfance.

It is certainly not in my ability yet but I have sheet music and can workout what the notes are and the timing seems pretty straightforward, so who knows what I can accomplish in one month.

#2302779 - 07/15/14 09:32 PM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Welcome to the forum, AndrewAJC!! smile

The recitals were begun exactly for people like you/us. We wanted a place where we could post a recording of where we were in our piano journey, from brand new beginner (I think our record was when funburger contributed a piece and she had only been doing piano for 2 weeks!) to adult relearners with decades of experience at the bench. We're a very supportive audience, and any kind of piano piece is acceptable. I myself am partial to new age/contemporary compositions, particularly Einaudi.

...but if I don't get off my butt and practice my Einaudi piece a LOT more in the next two weeks, it's going to have to be somebody else again this time. Yikes.

#2302780 - 07/15/14 09:36 PM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: AndrewJCW]
1000 Post Club Member

I hope you do participate.

The high standard of playing that some can achieve can be a little intimidating to newcomers however it isn't about comparisons. I think the benefits of joining in a recital is it forces us to come out of our comfort zone, teaches us to play under a bit of pressure (the red dot of the recorder) and also forces us to really look deeply and listen closely to our piece in an effort to "polish" it to as good a standard as we can get. I think an other important lesson from a recital is psychological. Learning to let a piece go out into general circulation knowing it's weakness's and/or mistakes but in the knowledge it is the best you can achieve in this moment is quite uplifting. All of these benefits and in such a safe, friendly environment it is a no brainier. Plus the free giveaways lol.

#2302836 - 07/15/14 11:33 PM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: AndrewJCW]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

I love to hear pieces from people just starting piano.

If you participate regularly, a benefit will be that you can look over past recitals and have tangible evidence of how much you are improving.

#2302871 - 07/16/14 03:34 AM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: wouter79]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
"Not another Bach please eek wink Please send Bach to some course on how to write beautiful melodies first" . . . Air on a G string do?. . . .French suite no 5, several tunes in that . . .there are loads!

""

#2302872 - 07/16/14 03:41 AM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: AndrewJCW]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.

Get IN there, man . . . . .have fun! You`ll practice like you`ve never practiced before . . grin Bit like jumping in the river and learning to swim . .

Edited by peterws (07/16/14 03:42 AM)

""

#2302880 - 07/16/14 04:24 AM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
noobpianist90 Offline

Loc: India
I'm currently polishing two pieces, Chopin's Mazurka Op. 67 No. 4 and Mozart's K545 2nd movement. Which one should I go for?

#2302892 - 07/16/14 05:44 AM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: noobpianist90]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: noobpianist90
I'm currently polishing two pieces, Chopin's Mazurka Op. 67 No. 4 and Mozart's K545 2nd movement. Which one should I go for?

Why not record both and keep one for the next recital

#2302899 - 07/16/14 06:14 AM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: earlofmar]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think it is also allowed to put two pieces into one recording? I might do this since mine are not long...

Edited by outo (07/16/14 06:14 AM)

#2302906 - 07/16/14 06:39 AM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: Riddler]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: outo
I think it is also allowed to put two pieces into one recording? I might do this since mine are not long...

Yes, this is allowed. No problem.
For me, it won't be this recital. I'm considering putting several little Etude's together. Perhaps all of them for one level I'm working in.
I think it was the last recital. Some people got poor MrSuperHunky into explaining rules in depth. Felt sorry for the guy. Frustrated myself reading all the arguments.

Ok great! My current idea is to play this piece. Souvenir d'enfance.

It is certainly not in my ability yet but I have sheet music and can workout what the notes are and the timing seems pretty straightforward, so who knows what I can accomplish in one month.

Andrew... You got more than one person chuckling to themselves. You might not want to try that. You might want to pick something you already know. But need to polish it up and make it presentable. Let me put it this way... after you hit the erase button on the recorder for the ten millionth time. You'll understand. I contributed a little piece from Alfred's for the Xmas recital. It was easy. It was a contribution. It was not frustrating. smile

Originally Posted By: Riddler
Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn
...a piece of a nature that seems to dominate me ...

Uh oh, a disaster beyond imagination is about to occur!!!

smile +1 smile

#2302934 - 07/16/14 08:09 AM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: earlofmar]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted By: earlofmar
(...)I think the benefits of joining in a recital is it forces us to come out of our comfort zone, teaches us to play under a bit of pressure (the red dot of the recorder) and also forces us to really look deeply and listen closely to our piece in an effort to "polish" it to as good a standard as we can get.(...)

Yes earlofmar, I completely agree with you. +1 thumb

Now that the EPP2014 is over, it's time to think in the next ABF Recital... I've two Einaudi's pieces ready to record, or I can just play what I played in the opening of the EPP - a simple (and almost) improvised tune, but very catchy and fun to play -.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2302939 - 07/16/14 08:18 AM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
I'm stuck. Really don't know what to do. I'd earmarked Bach Badinerie for this recital. Even though it is short, it is way off the mark with only 2/3 learned and 1/2 coming remotely close to a presentation tempo. Short of some serious practice time right up to the deadline, I doubt I can make it with this one.

I'll be purchasing a new pre-amp, and would like to record something to try it out. I've been thinking of possibly recycling something that I'd recorded before. I don't think there is one piece I have recorded, that I wouldn't like to re-record. But this seems kinda lame to me and like, missing the point.

So it could be Bach, could be a non-classical (a never recorded something or another last minute restoration project).

I think I'll keep aiming for the Badinerie and see where I am by August 1st, and then make final decision. This will at least keep me motivated to keep it moving forward and eventually complete. But ... really not sure.

#2302942 - 07/16/14 08:31 AM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: earlofmar]
noobpianist90 Offline

Hmm...

#2302944 - 07/16/14 08:37 AM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: noobpianist90]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hmm...

Except the recording might not sound so good after a few months and then one needs to make a new one smile

#2302961 - 07/16/14 09:33 AM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: outo]
noobpianist90 Offline

Except the recording might not sound so good after a few months and then one needs to make a new one smile
Without a doubt grin
However, I usually drop pieces immediately after I'm reasonably satisfied with my playing. I give it a few months to forget it and then I re-learn it. The second time learning, I see reasonably large improvement.

In this case, I might not be able to re-learn it before the next recital.

#2302964 - 07/16/14 10:10 AM Re: The Famous (infamous?) One Month to Recital Thread [Re: rnaple]
AndrewJCW Offline

Originally Posted By: rnaple

[quote=AndrewAJC]Ok great! My current idea is to play this piece. Souvenir d'enfance.

Andrew... You got more than one person chuckling to themselves. You might not want to try that. You might want to pick something you already know. But need to polish it up and make it presentable. Let me put it this way... after you hit the erase button on the recorder for the ten millionth time. You'll understand. I contributed a little piece from Alfred's for the Xmas recital. It was easy. It was a contribution. It was not frustrating. smile

grin grin That bad is it?

Not only have I boneheadingly disregarded your advice but I started a youtube playlist to document my learning process. I present my first fumblings... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GX5eCfaH9M

I'll give myself a week to make some progress. If it's evident it's not happening after that I can always find something else and put this on the backburner.

Edited by AndrewAJC (07/16/14 10:10 AM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Wanted to give jazz a chance, reverting back to classical
by Artur Gajewski
24 minutes 39 seconds ago
anyone... listening to Greek Radio?
by Nikolas
Today at 12:38 AM
Weber piano sonatas: a "hidden" treasure
by jeffreyjones
Today at 12:32 AM
Yamaha Avantgrand N1 manufacturing date
by farain
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
Is it really possible to ignore fingerings?
by bjorn of brekkukot
Yesterday at 08:29 PM
Forum Stats
77065 Members
42 Forums
159387 Topics
2341346 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission