2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 14 invisible), 1,819 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Gizzer issue: I still like Rubinstein, Richter, Gilels, Horowitz, Feinberg, Barenboim?, et. al. better than the modern WIZ KIDS.... (Lang Lang, Yuja Wang, Angela Hewitt, etc., etc... make your own list!!)

I'm not even sure the modern technique is any better than what Richter or Art Tatum, for that matter, could manage. And I'm not even getting to the issue of interpretive or "aesthetic" sensibilities.

Am I missing something????

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
In terms of technique......

The only aspect where modern technique (and not just piano) is superior to the old guys is precision. As one example, if you compare Yuja Wang to Cziffra playing his own composition (flight of the bumblebee), she plays it more precisely, but with less power.

I'm not sure if this is a result of pianists listening to their own recordings, or because of piano competitions, or what. If you look at historical accounts, it seems to be even moreso. Clara Schumann for example was noted to be somewhat uneven in her playing.....but only compared to newer pianists.

And Lang Lang is an anachronism here.....out to prove that not all modern pianists play mor precisely.

Poetry is rhythm
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I'm a Luddite (I bought my first computer last year, and have never owned a cell phone - and don't intend ever to), but almost all my current listening is to the 'younger' generation of pianists - from not-so-young like Pletnev, Zimerman and Matsuev, to the really young like Grosvenor, Trifonov and Lisiecki.

The only Rubinstein CD I downloaded into my laptop was 'The Last Recital for Israel', but I've since deleted it - once my fascination with his daredevil playing (so refreshingly different from the rather careful playing on his commercial stereo recordings) passed, I became all too aware of his technical problems and numerous infelicities. Richter, Horowitz, Ogdon and Koczalski are the only deceased pianists that I still listen to regularly.

BTW, I find Tatum really boring now - again, after a short period of initial admiration. Once you've heard one of his RH runs, you've heard them all.....

If music be the food of love, play on!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I find it strange that you would classify Angela Hewitt as a WIZ KID. She is closer in age to Murray Perahia and Emmanuel Ax than she is to Lang Lang or Yuja Wang. In any event, all of these pianists had/have their strengths and weaknesses and it could be that your taste in music favors the ones that you mention. I prefer Hewitt's Bach to all the others except, perhaps, Gilels; but then I can still see her play in person.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by bennevis
BTW, I find Tatum really boring now - again, after a short period of initial admiration. Once you've heard one of his RH runs, you've heard them all.....
You make a good point, but I never get tired of his command of accent.

J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by the nosy ape
I find it strange that you would classify Angela Hewitt as a WIZ KID. She is closer in age to Murray Perahia and Emmanuel Ax than she is to Lang Lang or Yuja Wang. In any event, all of these pianists had/have their strengths and weaknesses and it could be that your taste in music favors the ones that you mention. I prefer Hewitt's Bach to all the others except, perhaps, Gilels; but then I can still see her play in person.

I hesitated with "Hewitt" classification. A taxonomy issue for sure. I think of her Bach (which I don't understand or appreciate for that matter, and I've heard her do the 48 live in Toronto) as being somewhat "old-fashioned."

J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by RealPlayer

He's not a classical pianist. But worthy of mention, nonetheless, for obvious reasons.

I can relate to the "been-there-done-that" feeling about him. But as a fool-around but advanced pianist myself, I can ..... what is the apt wording "totally respect" the technical prowess!!!

I'm not sure Richter or Hamelin's octave-playing in Brahms 2 is any more stupendous than what I THINK I'm hearing on my 21-year-old daughter's Tatum albums.

I respectfully leave it at that!!!

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B

J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by fnork

You've anticipated me.....

Heck! (Can we use that word on the internet?)

Sandor is right (I think) the word "technique" (heck, the CONCEPT too) is really impossible to separate or even distinguish from the word/concept??? "art".

So I'm inclined to think. Hanon is useful if played "with feeling."

Or words to that effect.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
The technique of contemporary pianists is absolutely superior to those of the past.

It's silly and ignorant to believe otherwise.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RealPlayer

And I never get tired of his tiny subtle harmonic twists, or his sense of rhythm.

The RH runs are impressive at first, then they just become basic words in his vocabulary. At that point, other things become even more impressive.

-J

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Atrys
The technique of contemporary pianists is absolutely superior to those of the past.

It's silly and ignorant to believe otherwise.

Please, give examples.

Poetry is rhythm
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by phantomFive

Please, give examples.

I won't give specific examples because poorly read fools will try to make a case for outdated talents, but certain names of contemporary pianists should find there way to you with ease.

I really do mean that only a fool would think that pianistic skill is not rising with time, in the same way that every other form of skill rises to more elite levels over generations (Olympic and general athleticism, mathematical and scientific methods and techniques, etc.); piano is no different and contemporary pianists play circles around their dead heroes.

Last edited by Atrys; 07/15/14 05:32 PM.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
“I have great faith in fools - self-confidence my friends will call it.”
-- Edgar Allan Poe

Last edited by Vid; 07/15/14 05:42 PM.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Vid
-- Edgar Allan Poe

"I have to use silly, illogical, opinionated quotations from others because I cannot communicate my own ideas well." - Vid

R. W. Emerson
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Technique getting better over time is an illusion caused by the obsession of note accuracy. They are not the same thing.

If you believe what you say, show us some examples. Compare the best of both eras and make a case.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JoelW
Technique getting better over time is an illusion caused by the obsession of note accuracy. They are not the same thing.

Your thinking that the increase in technical facility is an illusion is a delusion.

The idea that outdated talents are superior to the virtuosity seen today is a hopeless romantic plea; it's obviously not true and very often an appeal to "romantic or pedagogical authority".

Last edited by Atrys; 07/15/14 06:03 PM.

R. W. Emerson
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Your thinking that the increase in technical facility is an illusion is a delusion.

No, it's not. In fact, you're the deluded one. Your assertions are hilariously wrong. Do you even know the old pianists?

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Vid
-- Edgar Allan Poe

"I have to use silly, illogical, opinionated quotations from others because I cannot communicate my own ideas well." - Vid

Okay, by quoting Poe I may be guilty of not contributing much to the OP. It was meant as a counter to Artys' standard snarky tone where he likes to refer to people with opposing viewpoints as 'fools'.

As for him attributing a quote to me such as this at what point does this become a personal attack? I'm getting tired of the nasty tone that has token over this forum.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoelW

If you believe what you say, show us some examples. Compare the best of both eras and make a case.

I would claim that 'note accuracy' is one aspect of technique.

Other than that, I can't think of any aspect of piano technique now that has improved over the previous generation (if someone has examples, I would be interested in seeing them).

In other words I think we agree, but are using different words to say them.

Poetry is rhythm
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission