Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2302750 - 07/15/14 08:06 PM One year Piano-versery!
ajames Online   content

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Texas
One year ago exactly today, I plugged in my Casio PX-150 and opened my Alfred's Adult Volume 1 to the first page. What a journey since then! Some ups, some downs, lots of sideways...

I've actually played every single day since I started- habit is a very powerful thing. Highly under-rated I would say. After 5 months, I started working with a teacher, which has been a huge help. After 6 months, I bought a older baby grand (since I had the room and it didn't cost any more than a good upright). I still have the Casio for when I have house guests (yep, headphones).

I think my biggest problem so far, and I think this is true for almost every adult beginner, is expectations. It's so easy to get down on yourself when you realize how beginner-ish you still sound-- even after all that work! For me, that has been the biggest battle. I have tried to straddle the border between full-on delusional: "Wow I sound great!", and realistic: "OMG, how many years is this going to take...". If you go too far delusional, you don't make any progress, but the other side is too negative, and you might quit in frustration.

Anyway, that is my experience on my one-year birthday... I hope there are more!

p.s. Thanks to Earlofmar for the piano birthday idea- I think it should be a ABF tradition whenever anyone hits one (if you keep track of such things.)

p.p.s. Thanks in general to ABF and all the stuff I learned here. Great, helpful, positive community!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2302752 - 07/15/14 08:10 PM Re: One year Piano-versery! [Re: ajames]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Happy anniversary!

If you want to speed up the process, hire a teacher. You'll really learn to be musical.

#2302759 - 07/15/14 08:37 PM Re: One year Piano-versery! [Re: ajames]
EM Deeka Offline

Originally Posted By: ajames

After 5 months, I started working with a teacher, which has been a huge help.

#2302761 - 07/15/14 08:43 PM Re: One year Piano-versery! [Re: ajames]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Congratulation ajames, just getting to your first year anniversary is an achievement in of itself. I can so relate to your comments, the end of the first year is bittersweet, you can see and take pride in how far you have come but also see the road ahead is long indeed. But for now bask in the glory of your first year anniversary, may there be many more.

#2302781 - 07/15/14 09:38 PM Re: One year Piano-versery! [Re: ajames]
Purkoy Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
After 5 months, I started working with a teacher, which has been a huge help.

Your progression mirrors my own experience very closely. I also started on my own, and struggled for over a year before I realised I needed a teacher as I was bound to be practising mistakes without knowing it. That changed everything. It's hard to overstate the value of a good teacher.

Quote:
I think my biggest problem so far, and I think this is true for almost every adult beginner, is expectations. It's so easy to get down on yourself when you realize how beginner-ish you still sound-- even after all that work!

I have also had the same experiences, and the same frustrations about progress, and it was here that I benefitted unexpectedly from a teacher, for she made me realise that much of what I was trying to do really was hard, and that I should stop being hard on myself when I let frustration take over when I encountered some difficulty or other. Yet simultaneously, she'd set me things to do that were so challenging I almost took fright ; however, her assurance that it was within my capacity, and her guidance, made it work, and I've been able to tackle pieces that would otherwise have scared me off. Managing expectations, yet stretching them, is a great teacher skill. I could never have gained that experience from book learning.

Quote:
I have tried to straddle the border between full-on delusional: "Wow I sound great!", and realistic: "OMG, how many years is this going to take...".

One thing I have learned, is that for me anyway, there's no end-point, that no matter how far I go, there will always be farther ahead still. Rather than see that as a frustration, I now see it as a significant reason why I do this at all.

My first 'pianoversary' has passed now, and I wished I'd known about the concept, for I'd have had a cake! Still, I have been keeping a diary, recording all the steps and stumbles and new things learned, and my only wistful regret is that I didn't start it fifty years earlier.

#2302787 - 07/15/14 09:43 PM Re: One year Piano-versery! [Re: Purkoy]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Purkoy
and my only wistful regret is that I didn't start it fifty years earlier.

that's a lot of cake or as was my preference for birthdays......a bucket of trifle.

#2302834 - 07/15/14 11:30 PM Re: One year Piano-versery! [Re: ajames]
Whizbang Online   content
500 Post Club Member

One year ago exactly today, I plugged in my Casio PX-150 and opened my Alfred's Adult Volume 1 to the first page. What a journey since then! Some ups, some downs, lots of sideways...

Congrats!

#2302903 - 07/16/14 06:32 AM Re: One year Piano-versery! [Re: ajames]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana

Congrats AJ ... if you really, really want to speed up the process, also start learning what it takes to play by ear.

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2302955 - 07/16/14 09:15 AM Re: One year Piano-versery! [Re: ajames]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Congrats, ajames! Keep at it... you are on the right path.

Edited by JimF (07/16/14 09:16 AM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#2302969 - 07/16/14 10:18 AM Re: One year Piano-versary! [Re: Purkoy]
ajames Online   content

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Texas
Thanks everybody, I think it's a nice milestone, and I like reasons to celebrate a little grin

Originally Posted By: Purkoy

I have tried to straddle the border between full-on delusional: "Wow I sound great!", and realistic: "OMG, how many years is this going to take...".

One thing I have learned, is that for me anyway, there's no end-point, that no matter how far I go, there will always be farther ahead still. Rather than see that as a frustration, I now see it as a significant reason why I do this at all.

My first 'pianoversary' has passed now, and I wished I'd known about the concept, for I'd have had a cake! Still, I have been keeping a diary, recording all the steps and stumbles and new things learned, and my only wistful regret is that I didn't start it fifty years earlier.

Purkoy, I think that's the best approach, not worrying so much about destination and just enjoying the journey. That doesn't mean you're safe from negativity due to overly high expectations, though. In my experience, the happier you are with your progress, the more the expectations creep up and up. And then, before you know it, you're unhappy and frustrated with your progress. cry

You can do a two-year anniversary, or even 1.5 year, or whatever.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway piano with two offset keyboards
by guyl
32 minutes 45 seconds ago
Black and white dampers
by iLaw
Today at 09:55 AM
AUGUST FORSTER
by Karl Watson
Today at 09:05 AM
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
Today at 06:34 AM
Anything better than the Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
Today at 04:49 AM
Who's Online
151 registered (Alexander Borro, Anne'sson, angga888, ajames, accordeur, 44 invisible), 1509 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158468 Topics
2327141 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission