Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
158 registered (36251, ajames, accordeur, Alegretto, 45 invisible), 1745 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2303261 - 07/17/14 04:58 AM tune the bass strings of a baby grand?
Glisso Offline

I find it hard to choose how to tune the bass strings of a baby grand.
I feel very disappointed, and wondering if anyone has found any method.

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#2303333 - 07/17/14 11:11 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: Glisso]
Dennis Kelvie Offline

Loc: Caldwell, Idaho
What are you trying to do? The big problem is that SHORT bass strings remain SHORT no matter how you tune them, and short strings and a small soundboard make for a SMALL PIANO SOUND. Nothing you can do when tuning SHORT pianos makes them bigger. . .

Sorry, but if your problem is that the sound is too 'small' I can't help you. . .

#2303347 - 07/17/14 11:39 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: Glisso]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Originally Posted By: Glisso

Glisso:

Welcome Aboard!

Rather than tune bass strings to those an octave above (and often being unable to find a "best" place but rather a number of "less worse" places) I tune bass strings to the note an octave above AND a 12th (octave + fifth) above by playing all three notes at once. You need a tool than spans a 12th to do this. If a good place for the lower note cannot be found, the upper fifth is mistuned.

#2303505 - 07/17/14 08:11 PM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: UnrightTooner]
michaelopolis Offline

Originally Posted By: UnrightTooner

Glisso:

Welcome Aboard!

Rather than tune bass strings to those an octave above (and often being unable to find a "best" place but rather a number of "less worse" places) I tune bass strings to the note an octave above AND a 12th (octave + fifth) above by playing all three notes at once. You need a tool than spans a 12th to do this. If a good place for the lower note cannot be found, the upper fifth is mistuned.

Jeff, Do you use such a tool ? would love to see a pic if so ? thanks ,michael

#2303558 - 07/18/14 12:27 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: Glisso]
Mark Cerisano, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Here are some procedures you can try. Good luck.

Virgil Smith advocated listening to the Natural Beat when tuning bass notes. He described this as a beating at the fundamental. Initially, the theory doesn't seem to support that there could be a beat at the fundamental of a bass octave, but that's the way I tune them. Listen to the lower note and try to eliminate any rolling there. That's about the best we can do.

The theory might be explained using difference tones; each neighbouring partial produces a difference tone equal to the fundamental. i.e. 5-4=4-3=3-2=1. Maybe when they are all cancelling as close as possible, the fundamental beat is reduced. Not sure.

You can try this too: Gently touch each bass string near the hammer strike point while playing. Listen for a partial induced. Try to induce the same partial in each chromatic note. Listen for the chromatic scale. Make a judgement as to the closeness of the scale produced to a good sounding chromatic scale.

Also, play each note melodically within a descending major scale, for example. Make an aural judgement on how close it sounds melodically.

One note: when tuning bass notes melodically vs harmonically, often they don't agree.

Finally, don't sweat it too much. They really were never meant to sound good.

#2303577 - 07/18/14 01:28 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: Glisso]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
On Monday I was hired to tune a Yamaha Cp70. They look like this:

As you can see it is VERY short. Really, the bass was impossible to tune. The difference between the 4:2 octave and the 6:3 was huge in the bottom octave. If you tuned a pure 6:3 the 4:2 would beat like crazy, so I decided to comprise and make them beat the same - which was about 3 beats per second! Even so, the lowest notes still sounded somewhat sharp to me when played melodically.

It's all about compromise!
www.pianova.net

#2303628 - 07/18/14 07:44 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: Glisso]
jim ialeggio Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: shirley, MA
2 pass tuning. On the second pass, tune the bass last after all tenor and treble unisons have been tuned and checked.

Tune bichords to the best compromise where, when held with the sostenuto all octaves, octave fifths double octaves double octave fifth and triple octaves sound similar and reasonably quiet.

Tune monochords with the sustain pedal engaged...all dampers up. Roll a multi octave chord (entire belly resonating)...octave, octave 5th, double 8ve, double 8ve 5th, triple 8ve, triple 8ve5th, etc. I often take this up to the 5th octave. Forget the beats. Listen to the point where the resonance of the entire instrument as a whole falls into place. From a relative perspective, this point of resonance will also be the most quiet point for all these multi- 8ve 8ve-5ths. On some pianos, at this quiet point, a musically audible M3rd or multi-8ve M3 will arise from the whole belly resonance.

I do this on all basses, small pianos as well as large.

The tuning of the bass notes in relation to their bass note neighbors is musically not that important. This because these lower notes are only used musically, chordally, in relation to the 3rd-6th octaves above, whose scaling, even on small instruments is at least similar to larger instruments.

I have no trouble getting reasonable to nice sounding, functional, musically useable small piano bass.

Jim Ialeggio

Edited by jim ialeggio (07/18/14 07:46 AM)
978 425-9026
Shirley Center, MA

#2303641 - 07/18/14 08:52 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: rysowers]
gynnis Offline

Loc: Florida, Connecticut
That is one strange looking piano!

#2303645 - 07/18/14 09:04 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: UnrightTooner]
Glisso Offline

Thank you Unright Tooner!
Do you use the Stopper Duodecima method?
He uses such an tool.

#2303654 - 07/18/14 09:46 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: Glisso]
bellspiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, MA
Boy oh boy, Ryan, for me the challenge would have been taking the thing apart so I could tune it. Does the electric-powered rectangular solid on the top lift off? What is it, anyhow? And are there ordinary tuning pins?

#2303661 - 07/18/14 10:21 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: rysowers]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: rysowers
On Monday I was hired to tune a Yamaha Cp70. They look like this:

As you can see it is VERY short. Really, the bass was impossible to tune. The difference between the 4:2 octave and the 6:3 was huge in the bottom octave. If you tuned a pure 6:3 the 4:2 would beat like crazy, so I decided to comprise and make them beat the same - which was about 3 beats per second! Even so, the lowest notes still sounded somewhat sharp to me when played melodically.

It's all about compromise!

I have a graph an table in cts from Yamaha, if useful for the next time.

the basses when played does nor sound so off, but indeed o not compare with a piano

#2303666 - 07/18/14 10:30 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: Glisso]
Johnkie Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: England
I've tuned Yamaha CP70s many times back in the 80s for popular bands and artists, and you simply have to do the best you can with the drastically false strings in the bass section. Re-stringing the bass makes no improvement .... I did it for Lindisfarne when they held their yearly Christmas concerts at Newcastle City Hall and Elton John when he did his show with Ray Cooper who as well as being on percussion, played along side on a couple of numbers accompanying Elton who used his normal Steinway D ... new strings were just as bad. Don't expect in tune bass sections on these ... it just isn't possible.

The bi-chord trebles tune quite nicely but the bass .... just get them as good as they'll let you.

#2303953 - 07/19/14 08:08 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: Glisso]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

They give -13cts to + 20cts on the factory tuning for CP70

#2303966 - 07/19/14 09:07 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: Glisso]
Johnkie Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: England
Not sure how these factory tolerances make any sense when in my experience, all these CP70s have so much falseness in just abiut every individual bass string. - I would imagine even the very best ETD couldn't get a lock onto any single bass string to display its actual pitch. To my mind they must tend to 'run home to mama' thinking every individual bass string must be a nasty beating double unison. The only good thing I found about them was the ability to carry on tuning with the aid of headphones whilst get ins and sound checks were in progress at the same time as being booked to tune the horrible things.

#2303984 - 07/19/14 10:24 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: Glisso]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Yes I recall the ETD where totally lost. may be they give those cts table to use or be inserted in their ETD PT100 or others memory

I dont know what those ETD are listening to in the basses, so that table of frequencies may well be useless for that section.

I just noticed that the PT100 does not receive any help from stretching, also the tone often have a permanent vibrato used.
The ETD tuning was not really sounding good, by trying to match iH makes it not reasonable wink

Edited by Olek (07/19/14 10:26 AM)

#2303992 - 07/19/14 10:51 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: Glisso]
Gadzar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mexico City
I've tuned one of these electrical pianos in my whole career as a piano tuner. Bitter experience.

Tuning the bass by ear was difficult, I couldn't find a suitable tuning. Using my ETD? Impossible, it can not identify the pitch, it gets lost.

I tried both, turned on and off. At first I thought it sounded better when off but it was only an illusion. When turned on it sounded bad.

I tuned the less offensive to my ears.

I hope I never have to tune one again!

Serving Mexico City and suburbs.

http://www.afinacionpianos.com.mx

#2303995 - 07/19/14 11:11 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: Glisso]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I have tuned those indoors and outdoors, with and without amplification. They make life interesting. The last one was a rare CP60, and the road manager said it had never sounded better.

#2304474 - 07/20/14 04:28 PM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: bellspiano]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: bellspiano
Boy oh boy, Ryan, for me the challenge would have been taking the thing apart so I could tune it. Does the electric-powered rectangular solid on the top lift off? What is it, anyhow? And are there ordinary tuning pins?

You just have to remove a few screws to flip up the portion of the lid that is covering the tuning pins. Yep, ordinary tuning pins in there.

I enjoyed tuning it - it was much quicker than a regular tuning - no trichords and not a full 88 notes.

In regards to the curve shown in the manual - It pretty much looks like a standard Railsback curve. Those numbers don't flatten the bass enough for my ears.
www.pianova.net

#2304708 - 07/21/14 07:24 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: Glisso]
Chris Leslie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Getting back to baby grand bass tuning, I place a high priority on ensuring that chromatic descending 10th/17th progressions do not remain too rapid in the bottom two octaves. Just a nice slow lazy waver for the 17th way down low always seems to constrain the bass to a good stretch, baby or otherwise. To me it is very distracting and comical to hear quick beat vibrations in the bass caused by over-stretching octaves.

Edited by Chris Leslie (07/21/14 07:29 AM)

#2304721 - 07/21/14 08:18 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: Chris Leslie]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Chris Leslie
Getting back to baby grand bass tuning, I place a high priority on ensuring that chromatic descending 10th/17th progressions do not remain too rapid in the bottom two octaves. Just a nice slow lazy waver for the 17th way down low always seems to constrain the bass to a good stretch, baby or otherwise. To me it is very distracting and comical to hear quick beat vibrations in the bass caused by over-stretching octaves.

You are absolutely right.
I think small grands is where we can referred to a theoretical moderate rails back curve.

I never had real trouble with cp70.
But the manager never told me he never did sound so nice before wink

#2304775 - 07/21/14 10:30 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: rysowers]
bellspiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, MA
Thanks, Ryan -- I am very reassured by your explanation. Nevertheless, sooner you than me!

#2304796 - 07/21/14 11:00 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: rysowers]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rysowers
Originally Posted By: bellspiano

You just have to remove a few screws to flip up the portion of the lid that is covering the tuning pins. Yep, ordinary tuning pins in there.

I enjoyed tuning it - it was much quicker than a regular tuning - no trichords and not a full 88 notes.

In regards to the curve shown in the manual - It pretty much looks like a standard Railsback curve. Those numbers don't flatten the bass enough for my ears.

As I said I have no idea what partial those cases figure refer to.
It is possible that this is for the 4th partial in basses.

#2305061 - 07/21/14 08:14 PM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: Glisso]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: michaelopolis
Jeff, Do you use such a tool ? would love to see a pic if so ? thanks ,michael

Thank you Unright Tooner!
Do you use the Stopper Duodecima method?
He uses such an tool.

Here are pictures of the "spanner" that I made and use. I strive for pure 3:1 12th with plain wires and the most resonant octave and 12th with wound strings.

If you want to know how this might compare with what Mr. Stopper does, you should ask him. smile

#2305337 - 07/22/14 12:24 PM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: UnrightTooner]
michaelopolis Offline

Thanks Jeff, Do you find you use it a lot ?

#2305357 - 07/22/14 12:45 PM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: michaelopolis]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: michaelopolis
Thanks Jeff, Do you find you use it a lot ?

The only time I don't use it is tuning the temperament and unisons. Well, unless I am doing a pitch raise...

#2305486 - 07/22/14 03:51 PM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: UnrightTooner]
SMHaley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle

Here are pictures of the "spanner" that I made and use. I strive for pure 3:1 12th with plain wires and the most resonant octave and 12th with wound strings.

That is quite clever!
Church Music Professional

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single

#2306316 - 07/24/14 07:15 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: SMHaley]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SMHaley

That is quite clever!

Not really. See, I started out trying to make a boomerang...

#2306335 - 07/24/14 08:23 AM Re: tune the bass strings of a baby grand? [Re: UnrightTooner]
michaelopolis Offline

Originally Posted By: SMHaley

That is quite clever!

Not really. See, I started out trying to make a boomerang...

Haha, its nice when you make discoveries through accidents sometimes, must have a go at making one of these, just need to get the measurements of a keyboard at my next appointment.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Upright dampers not damping much, what to look for?
by JoeThePro
12/19/14 01:26 PM
Restoration referrals needed
by Dewdman42
12/19/14 12:38 PM
Single note with a "harsh sound"
by i1lsia
12/19/14 12:23 PM
Schaff Bros baby grand piano $300
by Paul678
12/19/14 11:24 AM
What to Practice, Given My Goal
by st23
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159987 Topics
2349450 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission