Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
126 registered (accordeur, Anita Potter, antony, Anne'sson, A Guy, anotherscott, 39 invisible), 1469 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 26 of 26 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26
Topic Options
#2291538 - 06/18/14 08:32 AM Transcribe Elvis Presleys' Music [Re: Kreisler]
JohnSchenker Offline

I am trying to transcribe my favourite Elvis Presleys songs, particularly those with a good piano part and/or good vocals (Jordanaires) This is an example:

This is the COMPLETE SCORE of Roustabout Jordanaires Vocal arrangement. Play it online and view the score (no need to download)

http://musescore.com/user/201414/scores/190225

I wonder any of you would kindly take a request. I am an Elvis fan and one of my favourite songs with the jordanaires is Roustabout. Could you please do a video of that song and post the vocals on youtube?.

I have worked out the harmonies (by ear and using Melodyne).

This is the original on YouTube sung by Elvis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTX8uyq_sZc

I have decided to make it even simpler for people to take the challenge to create a video with their vocal version of Roustabout and post it on YouTube (Including these Jordanaires Harmonies). wink

Below, each ISOLATED TENOR or BASS part is PANNED TO THE RIGHT and ELVIS part and the GUITAR is PANNED TO THE LEFT, for easier recording directly from the online file and easier rehearsal.
Just click and listen to each part:

Here are the Tenors:

1st T: https://www.musescore.com/user/201414/scores/191473

2nd T https://www.musescore.com/user/201414/scores/191475

3rd T https://www.musescore.com/user/201414/scores/191476

4th T https://www.musescore.com/user/201414/scores/191477

5th T https://www.musescore.com/user/203226/scores/191703

and the bass

Bass : https://www.musescore.com/user/201414/scores/191690

For working out the harmonies I use:

* Audacity> Audio Editor.

* Elevayta_Extra_Boy_Pro_Demo (Vocal remover plugin for Audacity for removing Elvis' vocals)

* Software to analyse the harmonies (Polyphonic algorithm option in Melodyne) and Melodyne also to convert the 16 bit WAV file into a midi file.

Edited by JohnSchenker (06/18/14 08:37 AM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2303799 - 07/18/14 05:54 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
danielcarr Offline

Loc: Seattle
Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Dan Carr and I am a composer and pianist. Started playing piano pretty late -- around 18 and got hooked on composing shortly thereafter.
After college (Finance major -- not Music) I went into the Peace Corps. Was in Lesotho. Had a little electronic keyboard which run on batteries. No electricity in the hut!
After the Peace Corps (1995-1997) came back to the US and took some Music classes while working at a bank in RI. A few years later moved to NYC, continued taking a few music classes, practicing and composing-- though never completed my degree.
Stayed in NY for about 10 years and 5 years ago moved to Seattle. Still in Finance/Tech and compose in my free time. Still occasionally work on solo piano pieces but most of my time is composing. Do like performing Piano + Flute works with my wife.

Favorite composers are Chopin, Rach, Carlos Chavez, Poulenc, Ravel, Bartok, Scriabin. For modern music I like Carl Vine, some of the minimalists, Ligeti, Sebastian Currier and Nico Muhly (both get extra credit for being from RI!), Peter Schieckle -- not PDQ Bach stuff. Lots more. Also like rock music - Billy Joel and Radiohead.

Will try to post some of my pieces. Great to be aprt of the forum and talk piano!

Thanks,
Dan
http://danielcarrcomposer.com/

Edited by danielcarr (07/18/14 06:29 PM)
Edit Reason: adding more composers i like!

#2307181 - 07/25/14 09:38 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
PianoPlayer98 Offline

Hi,
I've been playing since I was 6. I'm still undergoing lessons which I am most happy about. I mostly enjoy modern music as well as a mix of video game soundtracks and movie theme songs. I've still got a lot to learn so I hope to get feedback from the forums as most of you appear to be pros of the art.

Happy playing everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTUv7HtoQsv5BZtRMswgpcg

#2308203 - 07/28/14 03:42 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
tim treford Offline

Loc: hamburg, germany
Hi everyone

Just found this thread and want to introduce myself.
I started to play the piano at age of 6, and never stopped. Since then, the piano has always been a save and comfortable place for me, where I can turn to in sad and happy moments. In this almost 30 years of playing, I did a lot of different things/styles. I studied music in a conservatory/jazz school with a master degree and fortunately, I can live of making music. A few time ago, I also started to write some music for piano. You can find my compositions on my website: Tim Treford - pianist&composer www.timtreford.com

I'm looking forward to talk about piano and share stuff with other piano enthusiasts.
Cheers, Tim

#2313512 - 08/09/14 05:08 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
CMcG Offline

Howdy Piano Pards,
I am a beginning, enthusiastic, but as yet undisciplined piano player. I played trumpet all through high school and some college. I also was a saxophone sideman for a rock and roll cover band in the early 80s. I haven't exactly set the world on fire musically, but I am still passionate about music. I decided to buy a digital piano a couple of years ago and learn to play. Except the realities of music discipline set in and I soon realized that I still HATED practicing scales and rudimentary nursery rhyme songs by myself in the music room, although I know that these are the building blocks of greatness. I didn't like practicing in high school, but thinking back on it, I played in the band 5 days a week, sometimes 2-3 times a day for at least an hour apiece, depending on the format--marching band, concert band, jazz band, orchestra pit band, etc., so I actually played quite a bit.
I took piano lessons for awhile, but I found I was distracted quite a bit from the business at hand.
But every time I hear Oscar Peterson, or Joey DeFrancesco, or Red Garland roll out some bebop or blues, I want to play like those guys. So I am going to keep plugging along, and hope that I can light a fire under my own feet and dedicate myself to at least playing every day.
I like the idea of logging practice time on the forum. I'll see if that keeps me honest. I also have a lot of questions about technique, theory, and the study habits of others. So please respond when the questions pop up.

#2314305 - 08/11/14 08:16 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Ellsounds Offline

Loc: Timonium, MD
Hello Piano World enthusiasts,

I've been playing the piano for 50 years as of this past April when I started lessons a few weeks after my 6th birthday. That said I'm STILL learning things after all these years and I have been lurking on this forum for a few years but haven't posted much. That's going to change; I just needed to get comfortable.

I was classically trained for 12 years and got into jazz in high school, studied music and film/video production and theory in college and as a result I got into doing soundtrack music for film, video and multimedia productions. I always had a love of the visual side of art and took drawing classes when I was young and then got into filmmaking and video production.

I also got into recording, MIDI and synthesizers and have used my home studio for my progressive rock band's CDs and the soundtracks that I do professionally. I also belong to some other forums devoted to keyboards but the piano is my first love.

It's great to see the incredibly WIDE range of musical experience on the forums here and I hope to not only contribute but learn from folks here.

#2325075 - 09/07/14 03:39 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Cabbageface Offline

Loc: England
Hello!
I'm a new member, I've been playing since sept 2012, 31 years old!
Currently Studying for ABRSM Grade 3 and Music Theory Grade 1 exam.
Passed Grade 1 (Distinction) and Grade 2 (Merit)
I have played a few concerts also, which was great fun.
Below is a link to my youtube

https://www.youtube.com/user/Pwnagesystems

#2325327 - 09/08/14 10:39 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Hardware Offline

I am a new member, self taught player. Just purchased an N3 Yamaha, and I love it. Been my life long dream to have a solid piano in the house. I enjoy classical music.

#2327646 - 09/15/14 06:22 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Patonpiano Offline

Hello fellow piano lovers!

Im a new user and have been playing piano for about 3 years, self taught, never had a lesson. Trying to take it a little more seriously now, and getting my self a teacher and studying for an AMEB exam. I play mainly video game themes but I'm going to branch out into a few other genres.

Please look at a few of my performances on youtube, id love any feedback smile

Link - https://www.youtube.com/user/Patonpiano/videos

Thanks,
Alex

#2330196 - 09/23/14 08:13 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Doritos Flavoured Offline

Loc: Brazil
Hey, have I ever introduced myself? Ricardo here, 40 years, from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I'm an eternal piano intermediate despite my long love history with the piano: one of my earliest music-related memories is getting to my grandma's piano and pushing the lowest key, the deep metallic sound resonates with me to this day and sounded so futuristic, not something from the past. Despite this, I only got some lessons during my teens and eventually reached grade 4 or 5. Then real life kicked in, job, marriage and a daughter. Some years ago my marriage is no more, my daughter is grown and I have some free time and money for an old passion. Here I am, trying to make up for all the time lost. smile

my piano haiku

#2333415 - 10/02/14 02:43 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
decibel101 Offline

Loc: Manhattan

Hi to all!

I've been a member here for a while but unfortunately I don't have the amount of free time I'd like to participate in the pianist corner forum. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posts their youtube videos over in the members recording area. It is so great to see so many of you putting yourself out there and the insightful feedback provided by the contributors here! I'm so envious of the level of playing everyone has shown in their videos. Keep posting all!

#2340266 - 10/22/14 05:05 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Vialli Offline

Hi, I've just recently join this community.

So a bit of myself. My name is Vialli. I live in New Zealand
I started playing the piano at the age of 6, I had a teacher for a year or so but I just did not like it. I didn't like the pieces that she made me play, I would self-teacher myself privately 'Fur Elise' and 'Turkish March' by ear because I liked them and I did not know how to get the piano sheet when I was young. I hated being told what to do (because when I am instructed to play a piece I liked to improvise and add extra keys where I thought would make it sound better. My teacher hated this). So I stopped getting tuition since I also just play my own other pieces once the teacher isn't there.

I continued self-teaching myself piano for another couple years until 9, performed in front of the school a couple times, which I received a lot of bullying (physically and verbally) because I was the only one in the school who could play piano which they all criticized and discriminated me (I was the only Asian boy in a school filled with western and native Maori students, stereotyping how I am a geek, nerd, etcetc because I am Asian and play a musical instrument well).

So... I stopped playing playing the piano for 9 years. Which I picked it up again because I had no other choice of class subject to pick except music for my last year of high school. Bad experience again, long story short, this teacher hated me and treated me with bias, giving me low marks even tho I do better than other student who were so bad which she loved, because the whole class was with her for 5 years, unlike me who just jumped in, in the last year because I said I am good enough to join her class.
I had to perform a solo performance at the end of the year to pass my class, I picked:
"Beethoven, Moonlight Sonata Movement 1 & 3"
I picked the third movement because she didn't let me pick pieces as easy as Turkish March by Mozart because apparently it is too easy. Except other students played it for their performance....
Anyways. A day before my performance. I burnt my right hand 4th and 5th finger from my automotive class welding metal. So I had a big bandage over it. I asked her to give me an extension but she forced me to continue performing. IT WENT HORRIBLE. I wasn't able to press down my 4th and 5th finger. Sooooo.. I failed my class with that 1 year preparation of 4hours a day after school (since I had to reteach myself piano after stopping for 9years), self teaching moonlight sonata movement 3 and evaluating myself by ear. After that I stopped piano for a year, it put me off.

Then I went to university, and saw a grand piano with my friends. I played what was left of pieces I remember in my head. Everyone was amazed and encouraged me to play more piano. Now I am 20. Currently I am self-teaching myself "Rachmaninoff op 23, no 5", "Liszt La Campella", and lots of other pieces I dont remember the title.

I regret stopping while I was young, because I had heaps of potential, now I am busy with university but still trying to pick up my piano again and possibly try get a teacher and do grades.

So that is my introduction of my story with music, haha

#2341658 - 10/26/14 02:18 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
longfingers Offline

Loc: Europe
Hello,
I'd like to introduce myself: my name is Rosa and I'm 40. I started piano at 7 but I've quit twice and then returned. In my 20s I got two music diplomas (Accompaniment and Theory & Composition) but I didn't finish piano which I really regret. Now life has given me a second chance (free time), so I'm thinking of giving it a try and becoming a kind of pro, learning repertoire and getting credentials through the ABRSM exam system.
I'm also recently embarked upon something challenging I always dreamt of: the 24 Chopin Etudes. I did some of them in the past (about 6) but the rest were new to me till now.
I'm already quite comfortable at Op.10, 1-9, and I expect I'll be able to play the
whole Op.10 series by Christmas (my own Christmas present this year :-) at relaxed slow tempo and enjoying phrasing.
I'm very happy to have joined your community and I'm sure I'll learn a lot from your experience and opinions, and in return I'll try to contribute with mine.
Rosa.

#2341949 - 10/27/14 10:41 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: longfingers]
chopinoholic Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Welcome to the forums Rosa. Looking forward to hearing you playing the Chopin etudes! smile

Good to hear that you have more free time to spend on the piano.

#2342378 - 10/28/14 11:47 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
longfingers Offline

Thank you very much Paul, it's always nice to meet another Chopin-lover.
When I'm at the stage in which it's worth recording and listening, I'll post my version of the Etudes, for sure. :-)

#2345007 - 11/03/14 02:32 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
tamta Offline

Hi smile I'm Tamta, I'm very glad to join with you. Although, I'm lawyer, I like music, especially classical music and studying to play piano myself smile I listened "nightbook" by ludoviko Einaudi several days ago and decided to play it. But, it was different version from usual "nightbook" and I didn't find the notes...If any of you know where I may find the notes of this version, say me smile Give me some links or websites... thank smile

listen this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lYeRdtBoVw

#2348583 - 11/11/14 12:42 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
verqueue Offline

Hi, I'm Veronica. I'm playing a piano all my life. It's the love of my life, but I had a break down some time ago after getting MA in piano. I'm not professional pianist now, I'm programmer (I studied computer sience also, I'll get MS soon). I don't regret my decision, because the carieer of professional pianist is very hard and for an avarange pianist it's imposible to make money for living without teaching. I don't like teaching children. I don't know now what can I do with my skills. Recently I started to record some easy pieces (from piano jam on reddit) and upload them on soundcloud. I have to work out what I'll do next with my playing.

#2352075 - 11/18/14 09:55 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Saad Offline

Hi everyone

I've read the forums on and off for a while and decided to join. I'm a self-taught novice but am passionate about finally taking the piano seriously and progressing. I look forward to talking to you guys and learning.

Where should I start a thread about people's experience with buying online from Kawai's website? I'm looking to get the CA65 delivered, but want to know if you can schedule a time of delivery to make sure you're home.

#2352153 - 11/19/14 01:27 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Hi Saad -

Welcome !!

You should probably post your question in the Pianoworld Digital Pianos - Synths and Keyboards forum.......as opposed to the Pianists Corner forum.

Edited by carey (11/19/14 01:28 AM)

#2357923 - 12/03/14 10:33 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Justvisiting Offline

Hi,
I'm a new member here. I'm a mom who never had a chance to learn an instrument. I now have 4 kids, three who play piano. The 4th is only a few months old so he has time before he starts. We have a golden era Steinway M in the music room, our portable digital and a PSO in the guest room. I have learned everything I know about music and pianos from observing my kids' lessons periodically over the last 6 years. Someday I plan on playing even!

#2360748 - 12/11/14 09:55 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
mek42 Offline

Teaching myself piano and classical guitar in hopes of being able to teach my 3 year old daughter musical skills as she grows older. Or at least be able to learn together. Played tuba in elementary / jr high. Also working on composition, writing a chamber piece for guitar, recorder and cello.

#2366344 - Today at 06:37 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Yu11 Offline

Hi, I'm a beginner (without piano teachers in my past/present/future), self-taught, trying to learn my favorite piano pieces so I can enjoy them anytime.
Most interested in new age solos, ballads, some korean OST, usually music that can make me feel deep emotion when listening, emotion I hope to be able to transcribe in my playing someday.

Page 26 of 26 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Claude Frank, concert pianist, dies at 89
by Jonathan Baker
Today at 09:43 PM
A 61 situation
by Dan O
Today at 07:08 PM
Recommend a Mozart biography, please
by Stubbie
Today at 04:44 PM
Newbie with a question...
by Classified00
Today at 03:43 PM
Alice Herz-Sommer---
by leel
Today at 02:42 PM
Forum Stats
77481 Members
42 Forums
160208 Topics
2352642 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission