Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#2305370 - 07/22/14 01:00 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: rov]
Art_Vandelay Offline

Loc: Stillwater, OK
They also have a big hole in them, much like the logic present in this thread.

"If life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life'll be all like whaaaaaat?" - Phil Dunphy

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2305371 - 07/22/14 01:01 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: Art_Vandelay]
Atrys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
They also have a big hole in them, much like the logic present in this thread.

Agreed. The science-rejecting side in discussions like this usually have gaping holes in their logic. Poor, poor people.
"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson

#2305372 - 07/22/14 01:04 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: Parks]
faulty_Damper Offline

Originally Posted By: Parks
Damper, fantastic post! Very well articulated.

Originally Posted By: Faulty_Damper
Just like some English speakers have Spanish accents, many pianists have a technical accents.

I love it!

Have you ever experienced an accentless performance? An accent is part of one's voice. ('Voice,' in the metaphorical sense. One could separate the two - timbre / accent - but, they both contribute to a composite signature. Would not a delivery sans accent be . . . . how shall I put this . . . . unhuman?

Pianos themselves have their own eccentricities: regulation, or voicing accents.

I don't think so. I'd like to think that my own playing is accent-less, but I know they probably are not. However, I would leave the accent, timbre, to the individual character of the instrument, not the pianist. Classical music isn't like jazz where you can identify musicians by certain stylistic idiosyncrasies. We're playing music of dead people, not improvising something spontaneous.

#2305383 - 07/22/14 01:27 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: Mark_C]
chopin_r_us Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
We don't pick what muscles to use. We pick the movement, and the choice of the muscles is one of those miracles of evolution or creation or whatever we might believe in, the miracle of how our brains automatically and unconsciously translate those desired movements into combinations of musculature contractions and relaxations.
And that is something of far more interest - the nexus of thought and action.

#2305384 - 07/22/14 01:29 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: chopin_r_us]
Atrys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: chopin_r_us
And that is something of far more interest - the nexus of thought and action.

It's actually entirely false and is something that is not taught in classrooms (because it's untrue information). Mark_C does like to dive out of his expertise and say random things like this though, so it's no surprise.
"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson

#2305387 - 07/22/14 01:34 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: rov]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Do you always have to deal with absolutes? Are you some kind of computer where everything is either entirely true or entirely false?

#2305391 - 07/22/14 01:36 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: Vid]
Atrys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Vid
Do you always have to deal with absolutes?

I don't like absolutes; a case can be made that we cannot be truly certain (100%) outside of mathematics, but scientific induction and reason can get us damn close (99.99%).

Science deals with objectivity: the is from which we can form an ought given some context.

Edited by Atrys (07/22/14 01:37 PM)
R. W. Emerson

#2305394 - 07/22/14 01:42 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: Art_Vandelay]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Hmmm, I've been putting my analytical hat on, and scrutinizing a troll's posts here.

I believe I've discovered the modus operandi of this not-so-mythical creature who lurks in our midst. He scans various threads looking for likely victims, then hurls himself in with choice insults, usually concerning the level of education of his chosen victims (which far exceed his, but he uses a bigger dictionary, and a monster Google machine wink which confuses them). Throwing in gobbledegook right, left and centre (and even backwards, upwards and downwards), he befuddles his victims' minds into believing that he, the troll, actually knows everything about everything, when in fact, he knows nothing about anything (like all trolls).

Putting my anatomical hat on, I observe that he brags about his (apparent) knowledge of anatomy by using various Latin terms from Gray's Anatomy, but then betrays his ignorance by attributing various independent actions to them which anyone with a modicum of knowledge of applied anatomy knows is totally ludicrous.

Finally, putting my own hat on (a Canadian Tilley hat, no less thumb), I deduce that to be rid of this nuisance, one should simply ignore this troll, who, being a mythical creature, will simply be so bored with the lack of victims that he disappears into oblivion in due course (i.e. starve grin).

#2305395 - 07/22/14 01:45 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: bennevis]
Atrys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis
Hmmm, I've been putting my analytical hat on, and scrutinizing a troll's posts here.

I believe I've discovered the modus operandi of this not-so-mythical creature who lurks in our midst. He scans various threads looking for likely victims, then hurls himself in with choice insults, usually concerning the level of education of his chosen victims (which far exceed his, but he uses a bigger dictionary, and a monster Google machine wink which confuses them). Throwing in gobbledegook right, left and centre (and even backwards, upwards and downwards), he befuddles his victims' minds into believing that he, the troll, actually knows everything about everything, when in fact, he knows nothing about anything (like all trolls).

Putting my anatomical hat on, I observe that he brags about his (apparent) knowledge of anatomy by using various Latin terms from Gray's Anatomy, but then betrays his ignorance by attributing various independent actions to them which anyone with a modicum of knowledge of applied anatomy knows is totally ludicrous.

Finally, putting my own hat on (a Canadian Tilley hat, no less thumb), I deduce that to be rid of this nuisance, one should simply ignore this troll, who, being a mythical creature, will simply be so bored with the lack of victims that he disappears into oblivion in due course (i.e. starve grin).

0/10
R. W. Emerson

#2305397 - 07/22/14 01:46 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: rov]
chopin_r_us Offline
500 Post Club Member

Can I suggest he find a forum where they deal in 99.99% certainties? That is certainly (say 80%?) not piano playing.

#2305399 - 07/22/14 01:48 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: chopin_r_us]
Atrys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Can I suggest he find a forum where they deal in 99.99% certainties? That is certainly (say 80%?) not piano playing.

The act of piano playing is bound by physical laws which we learn about through the process of science. By understanding and leveraging the knowledge we gain through science, we can become better at [insert skill]. Here, "piano play" is that skill.
R. W. Emerson

#2305401 - 07/22/14 01:51 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: rov]
chopin_r_us Offline
500 Post Club Member

Painting is also bound by physical laws. Maybe find yourself an artist's forum?

#2305402 - 07/22/14 01:54 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: chopin_r_us]
Atrys Offline
500 Post Club Member

A painting forum would be irrelevant to my interests because I do not paint. I play piano, so piano forums are relevant.
R. W. Emerson

#2305405 - 07/22/14 01:59 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: bennevis]
the nosy ape Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Westford, MA
putting my own hat on (a Canadian Tilley hat, no less thumb)

The wife and I have matching Forest Green T2's. These hats have had tons of use for almost 20 years and they show almost no signs of wear. Tilley Endurables are aptly named.

Also, I love a good everything bagel with cream cheese, lox, and ripe tomato.

#2305407 - 07/22/14 02:03 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: Atrys]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Atrys
The act of piano playing is bound by physical laws which we learn about through the process of science.
Most folks become perfectly fine pianists without any knowledge whatsoever of those scientific physical laws. Perhaps they are the ones who are "gifted." grin

#2305409 - 07/22/14 02:04 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: Atrys]
chopin_r_us Offline
500 Post Club Member

A painting forum would be irrelevant to my interests because I do not paint. I play piano, so piano forums are relevant.
O come on! Physical laws are physical laws. Give it a go - you couldn't do worse!

I see what you mean folks re: the bot thing.

#2305417 - 07/22/14 02:14 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: Atrys]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Thank you Dr. Spock !! wink

#2305418 - 07/22/14 02:15 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: chopin_r_us]
Atrys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: carey

Most folks become perfectly fine pianists without any knowledge whatsoever of those scientific physical laws.

That's fine, but proper education is what enables more people who set out to play this instrument actually become skilled at it. Now you're saying "No! Knowledge is bad! Do not teach!" and rejecting people's right to education; nice job.

O come on! Physical laws are physical laws. Give it a go - you couldn't do worse!

I said I'm not interested in painting, not that I think I couldn't do it. Most people can become extremely skilled at most things (painting, piano improv, Tetris, etc.)
R. W. Emerson

#2305422 - 07/22/14 02:19 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: the nosy ape]
Art_Vandelay Offline

Loc: Stillwater, OK
Originally Posted By: the nosy ape

The wife and I have matching Forest Green T2's. These hats have had tons of use for almost 20 years and they show almost no signs of wear. Tilley Endurables are aptly named.

Lost me with the tomato, but still nice.

"If life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life'll be all like whaaaaaat?" - Phil Dunphy

#2305428 - 07/22/14 02:26 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: Atrys]
chopin_r_us Offline
500 Post Club Member

I said I'm not interested in painting, not that I think I couldn't do it. Most people can become extremely skilled at most things (painting, piano improv, Tetris, etc.)

#2305432 - 07/22/14 02:36 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: the nosy ape]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: the nosy ape

Mine is a traditional cotton duck T3, circa 1992. It used to be white, but is now off-white (though it hasn't been through an elephant yet). And it still floats.... thumb

My bagel must have peanut butter, with a sprinkling of smoked paprika.....

#2305437 - 07/22/14 02:40 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: Atrys]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Most folks become perfectly fine pianists without any knowledge whatsoever of those scientific physical laws.
Originally Posted By: atrys
That's fine, but proper education is what enables more people who set out to play this instrument actually become skilled at it.
Sadly, very few folks receive a "proper" education these days - and that is the TRUTH.
Originally Posted By: atrys
Now you're saying "No! Knowledge is bad! Do not teach!" and rejecting people's right to education; nice job.
No - I was simply saying that "most folks become perfectly fine pianists without any knowledge whatsoever of those scientific physical laws." smile

#2305439 - 07/22/14 02:46 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: carey]
Atrys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sadly, very few folks receive a "proper" education these days

You can tell when you see the amount of false information spread in many areas of artistic pedagogy (piano being principal among them all).

I was simply saying that "most folks become perfectly fine pianists without any knowledge whatsoever of those scientific physical laws."

We all know what you literally wrote; I'm talking about what is implied by your writing. Scientific knowledge makes people better pianists.
R. W. Emerson

#2305442 - 07/22/14 02:59 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: Atrys]
chopin_r_us Offline
500 Post Club Member

Scientific knowledge makes people better pianists.
As does history and geography. What's your point?

#2305443 - 07/22/14 03:02 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: rov]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
What's worse is when a bot is allowed to come on this forum and spew out "knowledge" and clog up threads that originally are helpful to those involved. When will this thing get banned?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2305445 - 07/22/14 03:02 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: chopin_r_us]
Atrys Offline
500 Post Club Member

As does history and geography. What's your point?

History and geography do not help address the act of piano playing insofar as the paying apparatus/mechanism. Physics does. Physiology does. Psychology does. Neuroscience does.

Certain disciplines of science are irrelevant to the acquisition of piano skill, but others are directly relevant and highly beneficial.
R. W. Emerson

#2305446 - 07/22/14 03:02 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: rov]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Can you site sources where scientific knowledge is applied to piano technique and pedagogy?

This isn't a challenge to your views at all but I'm genuinely interested in investigating such sources and find out what scientific research offers to the field.

#2305447 - 07/22/14 03:04 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: Vid]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Can you site sources where scientific knowledge is applied to piano technique and pedagogy?

This isn't a challenge to your views at all but I'm genuinely interested in investigating such sources and find out what scientific research offers to the field.
Oy. You don't think this has been asked ad nauseum?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2305450 - 07/22/14 03:07 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: Vid]
Atrys Offline
500 Post Club Member

This is a good start http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientific_journals

Studies are a good entry point, but books are nice too.

I'm genuinely interested in investigating such sources and find out what scientific research offers to the field.

The problem is that piano pedagogy has been spewing out the same crap for so long, keeping itself in the dark while the sciences progress. People are starting realize how much piano can benefit from science, and are trying to play catch-up.

A little bit of curious research is all that is needed to see how much nonsense is taught in piano pedagogy today, and how much benefit can be leveraged by knowledge from physics, neuroscience, etc.
R. W. Emerson

#2305451 - 07/22/14 03:09 PM Re: Play chopin étude op 10 no 1 at 104 bpm in a week [Re: rov]
chopin_r_us Offline
500 Post Club Member

Poetry, art and architecture are the ones you really need to know about. Sorry, left out literature!

Edited by chopin_r_us (07/22/14 03:10 PM)

Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
Today at 11:18 AM
Some Questions About "Piano Magic"
by newbert
Today at 10:58 AM
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
Today at 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
Today at 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
Who's Online
145 registered (accordeur, 36251, ando, ajames, anamnesis, alfredo capurso, 41 invisible), 1561 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158397 Topics
2326022 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission