Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2304693 - 07/21/14 06:06 AM Yamaha YDP142 vs Casio PX750
Piano1988 Offline

Morning everyone,

I am buying a new digital piano on Saturday. I am looking at the two as described in the subject. I will be testing them before I buy but should I be looking out for anything in particular?

I am currently learning on a Roland FP7F which belongs to my piano teacher. I have at home a Yamaha Piaggero NPV-60 (I also learn on this) which I must say is absolutely useless in the sense that the keys are not weighted and they bounce back on springs! Useless for exam standards anyway.

The Casio PX750 has SCALED HAMMER ACTION TRI-SENSOR keyboard and the Yamaha has GRADED HAMMER STANDARD. Not graded hammer action/GH3/GH3X/NW which I understand is better.

Are the keyboards on the above two the same thing? I'm worried I won't be able to tell the difference at my level of experience (which is only grade 2 ABRSM)! If I don't notice this difference now I'm thinking I may do as my experience broadens and then it's more money I will have to spend on a new one.

Will this get me through all the grades comfortably? I cannot afford anymore than £600-700 frown

Thanks so much and sorry for all the questions.

P.S am really not fussed whether my digital piano has YAMAHA or CASIO stamped on it.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2304716 - 07/21/14 08:07 AM Re: Yamaha YDP142 vs Casio PX750 [Re: Piano1988]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
In hat price range, Casio is the way to go - assuming you like it. You really have to play them, and you will be able to tell the difference, so don't worry. The GHS is not as good, and for your money you will get more out of the Casio. Either are a great improvement over the Piaggero, however, and will be better preparation for exams.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2304939 - 07/21/14 04:28 PM Re: Yamaha YDP142 vs Casio PX750 [Re: Piano1988]
bozzo Offline

I have the YDP142 and I'm at grade 2 level.
I like it and don't really have any problems when I play on my teacher's acoustic upright during lessons.

I haven't played the PX750 so sorry I can't give a comparison.

Edited by bozzo (07/21/14 04:28 PM)
Edit Reason: fix typo

#2304988 - 07/21/14 05:42 PM Re: Yamaha YDP142 vs Casio PX750 [Re: Piano1988]
littlebirdblue Offline

Any chance you can try out YDPS51B too? A music store near me had that model cheaper than YDP142 and it has GH action.

#2305035 - 07/21/14 07:14 PM Re: Yamaha YDP142 vs Casio PX750 [Re: Piano1988]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
What Morodiene said.

. Charles

#2305892 - Yesterday at 11:24 AM Re: Yamaha YDP142 vs Casio PX750 [Re: Piano1988]
bnolsen Offline

Loc: Colorado
Have to agree with morodienne. A nice thing about this price level of pianos is that you can play them side by side at a place like guitar center without getting too much attention from the sales staff.

IMHO none of the digitals at this price range feel like a real acoustic. I suspect the casio might be a tad more realistic. The only ydp model I thought was nice (meaning a noticeable improvement in action over my 20 year old clavinova) was the ydp181. However at its price range there are far superior choices.

#2305907 - Yesterday at 11:56 AM Re: Yamaha YDP142 vs Casio PX750 [Re: bnolsen]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Originally Posted By: bnolsen
Have to agree with morodienne. A nice thing about this price level of pianos is that you can play them side by side at a place like guitar center without getting too much attention from the sales staff.

IMHO none of the digitals at this price range feel like a real acoustic. I suspect the casio might be a tad more realistic. The only ydp model I thought was nice (meaning a noticeable improvement in action over my 20 year old clavinova) was the ydp181. However at its price range there are far superior choices.

The YDP161 has the same keyboard as the 181 and is a very nice instrument - about €150 more than the YDP141. Also, since the P155 has now been replaced by the P255, you can get the P155 cheaper - going rate seems to be £799.

This is a much better bet than most of the above mentioned, apart possibly from the Casios, if you like their sound & action. But, all in all, the Yamaha P155 must be the better intrument, IMO though it's a bit above your original price range - but only by £99 smile

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2305918 - Yesterday at 12:15 PM Re: Yamaha YDP142 vs Casio PX750 [Re: toddy]
Lester Burnham Offline

Originally Posted By: toddy
Originally Posted By: bnolsen

The YDP161 has the same keyboard as the 181 and is a very nice instrument - about €150 more than the YDP141. Also, since the P155 has now been replaced by the P255, you can get the P155 cheaper - going rate seems to be £799.

This is a much better bet than most of the above mentioned, apart possibly from the Casios, if you like their sound & action. But, all in all, the Yamaha P155 must be the better intrument, IMO though it's a bit above your original price range - but only by £99 smile

If you're going to go to that kind of price range, the Casio PX-850, and possibly AP-450 become relevant. Although the same action, you're then doubling polyphony to 256, and a fair degree of other stuff that's relevant to the sound engine.

#2306031 - Yesterday at 03:46 PM Re: Yamaha YDP142 vs Casio PX750 [Re: Piano1988]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA
If you are doing ABRSM, then just bite the bullet and get the Yamaha CLP-525 or Kawai CN24. You will outgrow the entry-level stuff by ABRSM 4 and you'll have to upgrade then anyway.

#2306035 - Yesterday at 04:04 PM Re: Yamaha YDP142 vs Casio PX750 [Re: 8 Octaves]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: 8 Octaves
If you are doing ABRSM, then just bite the bullet and get the Yamaha CLP-525 or Kawai CN24. You will outgrow the entry-level stuff by ABRSM 4 and you'll have to upgrade then anyway.

The P155 would be just as capable of handling higher ABRSM levels than the CN24 or CLP525. Also, possibly the Casios, especially if linked to an (inexpensive) virtual piano. In fact, it would be better, I think.

And the Yamaha P155 has the same keyboard system as the CLP-525, minus the third sensor, admittedly useful for a very few pieces of early 20th century, but hardly essential.

#2306048 - Yesterday at 04:28 PM Re: Yamaha YDP142 vs Casio PX750 [Re: toddy]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA
Yes agree, saying "you'll have to upgrade" is a bit too strong. GH action is probably good enough for most repertoire. I should have said, you'll itch to upgrade by ABRSM 4 again. The OP is itching to upgrade now before he needs it, really. Why go the really expensive route of buying a new keyboard every 2 to 3 years? Not having the 3rd sensor, every time you do trills by ABRSM 4 you will wonder would that have gone better if I had the 3rd sensor? Answer is no, but you'd still wonder, actually certain legato chords do benefit from having the 3rd sensor, any time legato chords requires repeating some or all the same notes.

#2306055 - Yesterday at 04:34 PM Re: Yamaha YDP142 vs Casio PX750 [Re: Piano1988]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

All Casios have three sensors - but I'm just wondering whether the 3rd sensor is so necessary - not for turns, mordants or trills. For tremolo on a single note, of course yes but that's not an effect very often employed.....Ravel likes it a lot though.

#2306075 - Yesterday at 05:10 PM Re: Yamaha YDP142 vs Casio PX750 [Re: Piano1988]
theoak Offline

Loc: Idaho, USA
I would not recommend a CLP-525. There are cheaper and better out there from other brands.

From a Yamaha perspective, with the CLP-535 and higher you at least get the new Yamaha CFX and Bösendorfer Imperial voices, "better" action (at least in theory), Key-Off samples, String Resonance, WAV recording abilities and more.

Edit:

Of course this is not my money I am spending either smile

Edited by theoak (Yesterday at 05:10 PM)

#2306314 - 31 minutes 53 seconds ago Re: Yamaha YDP142 vs Casio PX750 [Re: Piano1988]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
You can chew on the technical specs for ever and get nowhere. Just go and try them, go home and try them again. It`s goit to be what you prefer; the Yamaha 142 looks awful, the Casio looks good-ish. Yamahas are usually bulletproof, Casios have much improved. Pay special attention to the action and feel of the keys. You`ll have fun on whatever you get; they`ll both do the job well.

""

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (AndrewJCW, BarryDMD, Al LaPorte, ando, Allard, 27 invisible), 1281 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156117 Topics
2292574 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How To Improve?
by Xagan
Today at 05:59 AM
Franz Liszt - Un Sospiro
by sislermi
Today at 02:42 AM
Need advice on buying a Yamaha Disklavier
by Lady
Today at 01:17 AM
Surge protection?
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:01 AM
Opening up an old Piano
by musicNow
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission