Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2304339 - 07/20/14 10:41 AM Why is it important that th pinblock ...
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
fit tightly or perfectly to the case? I've read this many times but am not sure of the reason. Could the pinblock move(obviously disasterous) if it doesn't fit tightly?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2304347 - 07/20/14 10:53 AM Re: Why is it important that th pinblock ... [Re: pianoloverus]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
It does not need to. Baldwin pinblocks were just screwed to the wooden frame, and held perfectly well. A good, tight fit to the plate is important, though. If it slips there, everything goes haywire.

#2304369 - 07/20/14 11:29 AM Re: Why is it important that th pinblock ... [Re: BDB]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
Originally Posted By: BDB
A good, tight fit to the plate is important, though. If it slips there, everything goes haywire.

You can say that again!!!

#2304381 - 07/20/14 12:10 PM Re: Why is it important that th pinblock ... [Re: pianoloverus]
A443 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manywheres
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
fit tightly or perfectly to the case? I've read this many times but am not sure of the reason. Could the pinblock move(obviously disasterous) if it doesn't fit tightly?
It doesn't need to. It is far more important that there is a great/perfect fit between the pinblock and the plate. If not, then under the strain of the wires, the pinblock can slightly shift forward in different areas and misalign the tuning pin holes to the plate.

#2304383 - 07/20/14 12:18 PM Re: Why is it important that th pinblock ... [Re: pianoloverus]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
You can also have cases where the pin-block only contacts the plate flange at one or two places-then when tuning-the block can pivot on those points actually making some section of strings go up in pitch.

#2304663 - 07/21/14 03:08 AM Re: Why is it important that th pinblock ... [Re: pianoloverus]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
If the block moves or distorts, obviously the tension on the affected strings changes, and they go out of tune. Total tension for all the strings on a piano can go upwards of 20 tons - that's like the weight of 40 or 50 mid-size grand pianos.

If the fit between the block and plate was not accurate, you'd get point loading and localized crushing of the wood. You might get lucky and it would crush to a stable end point, but maybe not. In that case, it wouldn't stay in tune very long.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2304747 - 07/21/14 09:22 AM Re: Why is it important that th pinblock ... [Re: pianoloverus]
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Several manufacturer use a CNC machine to cut both the edge of the pinblock and the flange on the plate that it abuts. This creates a "perfect" fit. I saw it being done when I was at Samick's Indonesian factory and I am told it is not uncommon.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2304776 - 07/21/14 10:32 AM Re: Why is it important that th pinblock ... [Re: pianoloverus]
A443 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manywheres
It is mainly a design problem: with pianos that have the pinblock affixed to the wooden frame of the piano, the plate needs to be lowered into piano, checked/marked, and then whole metal plate removed to access the pinblock to make the adjustments. That process takes time, so there is often a economic/financial limit to how many times workers are willing/able to pull the plate to ensure perfection with the fit, hence more instances of tuning and other pinblock stability issues with that type of construction.

When the pinblock is affixed directly to the plate the process goes much faster, as there are no in-and-out of the piano in that process. CNC machines make the process much easier, and most likely 'good enough,' but perfect it's usually not. I have no objections to this as a first step to get a very large amount of the preliminary work accomplished.

#2304783 - 07/21/14 10:43 AM Re: Why is it important that th pinblock ... [Re: JohnSprung]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Point-load crush is never seen on high-quality pin-blocks. Since you can only change tension one string at a time there is time for the whole thing to pivot and warp slightly. Remember each pin holds quite a point load without crushing. Crushing around the tuning pin is cause by tuning.

#2305037 - 07/21/14 07:16 PM Re: Why is it important that th pinblock ... [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You have a point load of about 160 pounds at each pin, and no crushing there. The block acts pretty much as a uniformly loaded beam, which collects all those 160 pound loads -- maybe 230 of them. That's what adds up to significant tonnage that has to be transferred to the plate. If there is insufficient area in contact between the block and plate, the wood will crush. How far will it crush? Probably just far enough to increase the contact area due to a poor fit until there is just barely enough area to hold those tons. Maybe a few thousandths of an inch. But the tuning would be quite unstable until that process runs to completion.

OTOH, if the design and construction result in enough area to stay well below the crush limit, you'll have a far more stable assembly.

I did a little structural engineering on wood framed buildings using Douglas fir. IIRC, the load limit perpendicular to the grain was about 625 PSI. I'm sure pin blocks must do a lot better than that. Given that the pins don't crush it, I'd guess it might be in the 1000 - 1500 PSI range. But you clearly do need enough square inches. If my 1500 PSI guess is right, you'd need about 27 square inches.

I also did some foundation repair, lifting a two story house with a 20 ton bottle jack, and got a good feel for the crush limit of Doug fir.... ;-)

The idea that the block pivots or rotates a little makes sense if there's a gap at one bearing point. It's a beam with insufficient support there, so it'll deflect.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2305112 - 07/21/14 10:33 PM Re: Why is it important that th pinblock ... [Re: pianoloverus]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

There are 30 or so big wood screws holding the block to the plate. Some of the movement from flange gaps is torsional with the axis of rotation parallel to the key level along a line from bass to treble. The tuning pins are slightly over .250" diameter so the tension of each string is distributed over that area. There is a fair amount of end grain maple that is against the plate flange.

I haven't seen point load crushing at the face of a mis-fit pin-block, and I have replaced more than a few mis-fit blocks when I rebuild pianos.

#2305196 - 07/22/14 02:54 AM Re: Why is it important that th pinblock ... [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPT
I haven't seen point load crushing at the face of a mis-fit pin-block, and I have replaced more than a few mis-fit blocks when I rebuild pianos.

I'd expect it to be very small, on the order of a few thousandths of an inch. So, no big visible splinters. I'm not surprised that it would be impossible to detect visually.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
Yesterday at 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
Yesterday at 07:08 PM
Charles R Walter upright
by landorrano
Yesterday at 05:19 PM
Who's Online
98 registered (Al LaPorte, A Guy, andriy555, BB Player, 29 invisible), 1055 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157636 Topics
2315403 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission