2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Has anyone attempted replacing the hammers and shanks in a Nordiska 7-footer to get that extra power out of the instrument?

Doing this is expensive tech work but still quite a bit less than the price difference between a Nordiska and a high-end American or European brand.

Colin Dunn
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
So here's an interesting turn of thought...Baldwin goes into the Dongbei factory, takes this 7-footer, and tweaks some more "umph" into it. They put the Baldwin decal on the fallboard, and ship it out to the dealers.

Your local dealer puts it out on the floor for 20K, asking.

Things that make you go hmmm.....

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
H
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
I know it's about double the price, but if you really want the power, their 9-footer likely has a little more bang to it. And still not a bad deal for a piano that size. I've never seen one yet myself but a friend's been looking at one so I might get the chance.

Howard

T
T
Well not quite 7' but at 6'2" the Hamilton H401 is just that a Chinese sourced piano by Baldwin. The only issue I had with the H401 is the dealer tried to retained too much of the current "Chinese" value at least at the start to compete with Brodmann. Also Brodmanns include "named" branded components such as; Strunz soundboard, Abel Hammers, Langer action, Burkel turn block, etc. That and coupled with a difference philosophy of when and where to do inspection, Baldwin does not send their master piano technicians to China they send the piano to AR, while Brodmann send it's master technicians to their Chinese partners plant to ensure all stages of mfg. Result fewer issues out the box? That is what this thread is about.

Thang
I own a Perzina GP129, and I still think it is one of the nicest sounding pianos I've ever heard. Like Margaret, I love the bass. No problems with my piano so far, but I did have a defective bench. The store I bought it from replaced it with a new bench. The defective bench broke where the height adjustment mechanism is. Some how it got bent. No problems with the new bench.

Barry Muff
My wife and I recently purchased a new Steigerman Premium 178 (5'-10") in polished ebony. We are impatiently waiting for the first tuning and adjustment. Aside from being currently somewhat out of tune, a couple of keys sound louder or quieter than they should.

I haven't had any quality issues yet. the fit and finish seem quite good. A couple of minor things - When I look *very* closely at the seams between the pieces of wood, the finish is somewhat uneven and not polished. When I lie down under the piano, the bottom of the laminated rim has not been planed or polished. I have never done this with another piano, so I don't know how much one needs to pay for that kind of attention to detail. I also realize that pressing one's nose against a piano to see into the crevices and lying underneath a piano are not normal pastimes smile

Our piano has the optional Renner action which my wife claims to be as good as anything she tried. It was really the touch that sold her on the piano. I am pretty much a raw beginner, so I my comments on touch wouldn't mean much.

A friend came to town from Seattle last weekend. She is an accomplished pianist (as is my wife). Our friend has an old upright at home. It was really fun to watch her react to the grand as she played it. She practically jumped of the bench with delight playing the louder bits - it was a great cure for buyer's remorse (for what it's worth, I also experienced buyer's remorse as a kid when I bought a clock radio at a sidewalk sale :rolleyes: ).

Our piano is certainly not the best piano on the planet, but it is good enough that I have taken up lessons and I have played every day since it was delivered, except when I've been out of town.

what thunder there was now grumbled over more distant hills, like a man saying "And another thing ..." twenty minutes after admitting he's lost the argument. - Douglas Adams
G
G
Just my contribution to this thread. I bought my Wendl & Lung 178 in October last year. After spending a summer on searching, I chose my grand mainly for value reasons. I could not (and did not want to) extend my budget. I'm an adult beginner who enjoys playing the piano with no intentions ever to become a professional.

I have to admit that I bought this grand almost out of the box, with very little dealer prep. From the first moment it arrived at my place I was very much disappointed. OMG what did I buy! It sounded woodier than I remembered and the notes in the higher octaves did not sing, they sounded "plienk-plienk". I can tell you the first month it sat in my room I suffered from buyers remorse every time I played it. After a month I called the dealer to do the first free tuning. He came, "did" the tuning in less than half an hour and left me even more unhappy than I already was. By the end of December I told him that I was very unhappy with it and that I intended to have it taken back. Then he suggested to have a colleague tuner/tech to do another tuning. She came and it took her 4 hours to do all necessary things: tuning, lubrication, pedal adjustment, better pitch (in my ears it was too low, which she admitted). And honestly, she did a very good job. The touch is light and the sound is more to my likings except the f an actave above middle C, which still sounds a bit harsh and out of tune. As we had a very warm and dry April I think it's wise to have it tuned again within a few weeks.
So far I'm happy with my grand. I now can feel the benefits of a grand (action, sound, sustain) even though I still like my old upright. I like to play classical pieces, as well as Einaudi stuff, no jazz. Not sure that I will keep it for ever, I'm dreaming of having a Bluthner grand some day. I never played an Estonia, although Mr. Venno Laul invited me to come over to his factory. But in the meantime I'd better improve my skills.

B
B
The Pearl River UP117 is a nice instrument. Looks good, plays nice, and has a great value. There are many better pianos on earth for much more money, but there's nothing wrong with pearl river pianos. They are well built.

1897 Blüthner Model 6
Pearl River UP117
What does this thread absolutely scream out?

For me, it's the thirteen owners who responded to the initial thread starter.

Guys, I know more than 13 Nordiska grand owners that were/are members here.

Over the years I've been here, there have probably been hundreds of Chinese pianos bought through member questions and research. Apparently, those folks are no longer here.

So, what practical use is this observation? What I believe, is that a small cadre of dedicated enthuisiasts for ANY one brand, be it W&L, Estonia, M&H, Nordiska, etc...can make that brand appear more popular than it is.

People who join this board do not stay, not for the vast majority. It's an information hub, the piano purchase is made, and folks don't wander back.

I don't think the board moves a ton of pianos...but if you can somehow make your piano the hot piano on the board, you can affect sales, especially in the smaller, boutique-type pianos.

M
M
Earlier I wrote

I have one small problem, and the dealer is working with me to solve it. Several keys squeak (tiny baby-mouse-like squeaks that I can hear but a listener a few feet away cannot, which happen on only a few keys). The dealer has sent out two different techs, and each time they got rid of the squeaks (first tech cleaned the keybed carefully, the second one lubricated all 88 keys), but the squeaks came back. Last time, the original squeaking keys stopped squeaking, but now several others do. They will be sending out another tech to work on it later this month. I'll report on success in getting rid of the squeaks.

So, is this a Chinese piano quality problem, or just a new piano problem?
As promised, I now report the outcome: the squeaks are well and truly gone. The thing that fixed it was lubricating the key bushing for the balance rail guide pin felts. (The theory was it might be dampers, but the sqeaking occurred before the damper was even engaged.)

After watching the work & talking to people about it, I think it's pretty clear that this qualifies as a normal new-piano problem, not some problem with the quality of this Chinese-made piano (a Perzina GP 129). According to the tech, they wash all of the lanolin out of the wool in new pianos (to prevent moth damage) and if felts squeak, they need lubrication (and there seem to be a lot of places where this can happen.)

So, now all is well, my piano is perfect, and I love it even more. Not trying to influence sales one way or another, but for my needs this piano was just the ticket. 3hearts .

Margaret

Estonia L168-1754
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Update on my Chinese piano - I moved house last week, so the piano is in a new home now. The new room is quite different - smaller, lower ceiling. BUt the piano sounds great - yes it sounds louder, but not overpowering.

The best thing is that weak octave I mentioned seems to have been been cured - I'm not quite sure how but perhaps the different accoustics and resonances just mean the notes sing out a bit more. Don't really care - just happy! I would post pictures but my house is still full of boxes...

John
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Man, look at all the "little things" that need work on these suckers, someone is making some $$$. I guess you get what you pay for!

Kenny Blankenship
Selling anything anyone will buy as the "Walmartizisation of the industry continues. (Still making a fair living and still having clients like me)
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Man, look at all the "little things" that need work on these suckers, someone is making some $$$. I guess you get what you pay for!
What a thoughtful, elegant and informative remarkk this is! From someone who in another thread claims:
I am a salesman and I play, I've spent most of my life educating "players" like yourself on how not to waste their money on cheap pianos, wherever they come from.
Anyone who does a search on this forum or the tuners-technicians forum for "little things" on any "Tier1,2,3........." will find tons of remarks similar to the ones made by the owners in this thread.

Or should all owners have claimed their piano is supreme without any faults or weaknesses? What would they then be accused off?

Good point, Schwammerl.

Here's a post on the tuners forum about quite a few "little things" on a new Steinway grand.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/3/2699.html

Rickster

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
Originally posted by Margaret M:
[b] So, is this a Chinese piano quality problem, or just a new piano problem?
Yesterday over in the piano tech forum I read this absolutely wonderful post by Sam Casey, which I will take the liberty of copying and pasting here, because I think it is directly relevant to your question:

[From Sam Casey] "New pianos are new wire and wood. A piano is a organic instrument, a complex bit of wooden machinery under tremendous string pressure. The purchase of a piano is the beginning of a relationship and as all relationships, requires a bit a patience and forgiveness. New pianos are most vulnerable to funny sounds, tuning instability, sticking keys, etc. You should expect this for a year. I've never met a salesmen who had the guts to tell a customer the truth about a new piano's inherent tendency to problems and never met a customer who did not understand and accept the fact when I serviced their piano. It simple common sense. Work with your tuner and if he/she are competent you will have a instrument to last a life time." [/b]
I posted this on the first page of this thread, but it seems relevant here again. Kenny, I think that MOST new pianos, if not all of them, will have issues that have to be worked through. My M&H had sticky dampers and a buzz here and there during its first year. Does that make it a piece of &$*#& or bad purchase? I don't think so.

What we really need are data on whether Chinese pianos have more of these little issues than higher tier pianos. I sure don't know the answer to that question; maybe some of the techs do.

J
J
I bought a 52" George Steck one year ago, its my third piano, I think its about the best value for the $. I recently went back to the dealer and played a 1978 52" from a well known maker, I was really glad I didn't pay 2000.00 more for that piano. Mine has a much more consistant touch with a deeper richer tone. I did however play the new model of that piano and was very impressed. Its better then mine, but not that much better.

Originally posted by Kenny Blankenship:
Or, you could buy a Steinway, and have many of the same issues (probably with the exception of the tight centers) to deal with.

But one could sleep much better knowing they paid premium money for a premium product.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I agree, all pianos, new, used, rebuilt, whatever, will always have small things that need attention. It's a production world and THINGS just aren't perfect. Even high end commodities that are hand built will have problems...The real truth will be in 50 years...will they just throw them away or rebuild them. The test of time!!! jm$0.2

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
J
J
I own a Nordiska 6'1" baby grand. Had it about 16 months now and am very happy with it. Upon delivery I sensed the high-end was a little piercing and so, had my technician make some minor adjustments. Also, I did have one key which tended to stay down upon release but that too was easily remedied by the tech. I keep a dehumidifier in the room and humidity averages 40%. No problems with the tuning. The two times I've had it tuned the technician commented on how little adjusting was required.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I brought back this thread to update my own piano's history. I also changed the title. It seemed the old thread title was seen by some as an attempt to unite owners of Chinese pianos. That was not the intent. I hope the new title is neutral enough to not give that impression.

I also thought bringing back the thread might encourage others to participate. I'm sure there have been member purchases in the intervening months. (Vince in Vegas comes to mind.) So if you have bought a Chinese piano recently, or had yours serviced for any issues, please report. Ground rules are in the opening post.

Nordiska 126 vertical, six months old, fairly heavy use.

Services just performed: tuning, voicing, replacement of the felt strips on the rail engaged by the practice pedal.

Previous service: two store-provided tunings.

I had been itching to get my hammers voiced for months, but wanted to wait until the piano settled in after it was delivered. I had gotten some referrals here on the tech forum, but when I contacted the referrals they were either too busy (long wait) or declined to work on a low-end piano. So I went with a tech I had used often in the past for my old piano, John Pasterczyk. I’d like to give a plug for John. His prices are moderate, he never hurries, and he’s very attentive to his customer’s requests. www.southbaypiano.com in the L.A. area.

Tuning: minimal work was required.

Regulation: none required. I had no complaints. John’s playing up and down the keyboard confirmed that everything was okay.

Voicing: John needled the shoulders a bit. He showed me tiny tracks that were already present on the shoulders of the hammers. I really couldn’t see them well (eyes not the best). He said that Abel (among other hammer makers) is using needling machines to pre-needle their hammers.

First he needled a few hammers and asked me to try those keys.. I could hear the difference and liked the change, so he needled the rest of the hammers accordingly. After I checked that, he offered to do more, but I want to go slowly with the hammers.

Practice rail felt strips: They were easily replaced. They had curled at the corners, causing the hammers adjacent to the scale breaks to strike without damping when the practice pedal was engaged.

Comments: John felt the pinblock was a good one to work with,: secure, but not overly tight. The voicing removed most of the brassy tone that the piano had always had. I’m sure more can be done to fine-tune the sound, but I don’t want to rush.

I’ve always felt my piano is best described as ‘serviceable’. Even among Chinese pianos, its price is low. A few days ago, I read a post by Rich Galassini where he stated that most Chinese pianos to this point have been ‘passable’, while some have been surprising. I think 'passable' is an even better description of my piano than ‘serviceable’. What I hope to do through careful attention is to bring it up a notch or two from being passable. Time will tell. So far, so good.

I’ve included a sound file here. Should you choose to listen, bear in mind:

1.) It’s Mp3 on a Microtrack with a single T-mike over the open cabinet top.
(raw sound)
2.) This is a very inexpensive piano
3.) The playing is a bit sloppy.
4.) The composer is of ill repute.
5.) The ringing phone you hear is not your own.
It’s on the recording.

sound file: http://www.box.net/shared/yu40zukafh

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission