2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
90SITA Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everybody,

I am total ignorant in this field, that's the reason I'm asking, may sounds stupid and sorry if it does, but I need to be sure!
Now, I own a Yamaha p35 and lately I realized I needed an Upright-alike sound (I play in a rockabilly/rock n' roll band, you know...), so I found out that my keyboard can be used as a MIDI controller with VST plugins. I got one, EZKeys Upright Piano plugin and sounds good to me. Now, in order to make it work, do I only need a MIDI-USB cable from the keyboard straight to the laptop or do I need some extra equipment?

Thank you for your time!

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
You will need an interface along with cables since your DP doesn't offer USB MIDI. It will look something like this, although I cannot necessarily recommend this exact model:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...q6fuNZ05FG0uVMFJ0QCPJic0X0WkeBoCWa_w_wcB

Perhaps someone else can recommend a model they've used before. I have used smaller interfaces like this in the past and they've always broken on me after some time.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Yes since it looks like your p35 doesn't have USB, you will need a midi to USB adapter similar to this one (link)

I don't know what is available in Italy, but it should be easy and cheap to find one.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Hi 90Sita,
Yes, you'll need a midi to usb inteface to go from the midi out jack on your P35 to the usb input on your computer. You might need to install a driver for the Midi-usb interface. And you might need to change the midi transmit channel on the P35 so that it matches the receiving channel in the software (the P35 manual should explain how to do this, it's not hard). Also, you may want to set the local control value of your keyboard to off (that turns the sounds of the P35 off so that only EZkeys will be playing). Again this should be explained in the Midi section of the P35 manual.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Kbeaumont
Yes since it looks like your p35 doesn't have USB, you will need a midi to USB adapter similar to this one (link)

I don't know what is available in Italy, but it should be easy and cheap to find one.

That' the one I've used. It's not expensive, and works well.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
90SITA Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks!

90SITA Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Kbeaumont

I've actually seen similar cables like that around here, hopefully they might have them in my local music shop. I'll stop by tomorrow.

Thanks for helping me out!

90SITA Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the fulfilling reply, I'll check the manual, doesn't sound hard at all, thankfully. smile

90SITA Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
That' the one I've used. It's not expensive, and works well.

. Charles

I've just found one that is almost identical to the one you've mentioned, I better buy that.
This one

S
S
I use this Generic MIDI -> USB converter. It's incredibly cheap at $3.59 with free shipping. Looking at the reviews on Amazon, I see plenty of people have had both good and bad experiences with it--though a lot of the bad experiences seem to be related to connecting it incorrectly (understandable as the labeling is ambiguous). It's worked fine with my old Suzuki DP on Windows Vista 64, Windows 7, and Linux Mint 16, and I'll likely be using it soon with an MP11.

D
D
Originally Posted by Starboard
I use this Generic MIDI -> USB converter. It's incredibly cheap at $3.59 with free shipping. Looking at the reviews on Amazon, I see plenty of people have had both good and bad experiences with it

I bought that one, as it was for something that would get used once a flood. However, I was one of the ones with the bad experience. IN worked but OUT didn't (or vice-versa). Still, at that price...

My main one is a MIDIsport which works a treat. Not cheap though.

Yamaha C3X SH
90SITA Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

Do you know how to set the keyboard's speakers as output? So that I can hear the sound of the plugin directly from the keyboard and not with headphones plugged into the laptop? Because that seems to be my only problem, infact I managed to install everything properly (I suppose?)... (BTW I bought a M-Audio MIDISPORT UNO interface, 29,99 euros).

Originally Posted by 90SITA
Do you know how to set the keyboard's speakers as output? So that I can hear the sound of the plugin directly from the keyboard and not with headphones plugged into the laptop?

Connect the line output from your laptop into the input jacks on your keyboard, then disable the 'Local On' MIDI setting on your keyboard.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
90SITA Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Connect the line output from your laptop into the input jacks on your keyboard, then disable the 'Local On' MIDI setting on your keyboard.

Hi, thanks for the reply...

(forgive me, I'm just trying to understand better)but...the p35 has just one 1/4" jack input labeled as "phones", whenever I go on stage, I just plug my jack-jack cable into that input and then to the mixer. I'm thinkin' of using this sound for live performances... does that mean I have to plug the laptop to the mixer in order to get the MIDI sound? By connecting the line output from my laptop into the input jacks on my keyboard, I will have no more jacks available to connect the keyboard to the mixer

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

Hi, thanks for the reply...

(forgive me, I'm just trying to understand better)but...the p35 has just one 1/4" jack input labeled as "phones", whenever I go on stage, I just plug my jack-jack cable into that input and then to the mixer. I'm thinkin' of using this sound for live performances... does that mean I have to plug the laptop to the mixer in order to get the MIDI sound? By connecting the line output from my laptop into the input jacks on my keyboard, I will have no more jacks available to connect the keyboard to the mixer

There is no "line in" in the p35, so no way to use the onboard speakers. Phones is an output, not an input.

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
the p35 has just one 1/4" jack input labeled as "phones"

Yes, I'm afraid the P35 does not feature any input jacks, therefore it will not be possible to connect your laptop's audio output in order to hear the sound through the keyboard's speakers.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
90SITA Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, thanks!

90SITA Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, I'm afraid the P35 does not feature any input jacks, therefore it will not be possible to connect your laptop's audio output in order to hear the sound through the keyboard's speakers.

Thanks for your help, at least the plugin works perfectly... I guess i'll just plug the laptop to the mixer...

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission