Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2305506 - 07/22/14 04:20 PM No music rest for Roland stage pianos?
Delphian2001 Offline

Loc: Lovely So Cal
I've been eyeing the Roland RD-800 stage piano for some time but I have overlooked one important missing feature (to me) that it does not come with a music rest. Kawai and Yamaha have it for their stage pianos. What do you Roland owners use then?

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2305518 - 07/22/14 04:41 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Delphian2001]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I was annoyed that the V-Piano has no music rest when I decided to buy it, but the store threw in a Stagg music stand (the sort used by orchestral musicians) gratis, and it works perfectly - I have the rest just poking over the back edge of the slab, with its legs on the floor.

It also means that I can play with a violinist friend, because I can move the stand out for her to use........ grin

#2305527 - 07/22/14 04:58 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Delphian2001]
fizikisto Online   content

Loc: Hernando, MS
Yes,
I've always found it bizarre that Roland doesn't even offer an *option* of a music rest for their stage pianos. The could do like Nord, drill two holes in the chassis (o.k, not quite, but pretty close! smile to slip in a music stand and then sell a $2 music stand for $120. It's especially strange to me that they don't offer it on their *flagship* product. Yes, it's a stage piano, but a lot of people play on stage from lead sheets, or use it in the studio, or at home to practice and learn new songs, and not everyone learns by ear. And as you note, pretty much ever manufacturer offers at least something on most of their pianos. Oh well, bennevis' suggestion is probably your best bet, though I have seen some people on youtube literally tape sheet music to the wall behind their piano. If you don't mind having to touch up the drywall from time to time that seems to work.

On the other hand, you could always take vkgoeswild's approach! Holy crap, sheet music lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff8UwvPK0G4

Edited by fizikisto (07/22/14 05:02 PM)

#2305534 - 07/22/14 05:22 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Delphian2001]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
Well, no music rest for me with either board. I use and iKlip iPad holder mounted to a mic stand.

When I bring my RD800 or ES7 home this is my setup. I keep the old x stand, bench, iPad stand, and monitors there full time.

Edited by Marko in Boston (07/22/14 05:33 PM)

#2305539 - 07/22/14 05:44 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Delphian2001]
CyberGene Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
I guess Roland products are oriented mainly to pop/rock/jazz musicians who do not play from sheet music. Well, jazz musicians do use fake books but that's rare. Classical musicians are kind of neglected by Roland as it seems. It can arguably be confirmed by the slightly overprocessed and punchy piano sound which isn't suitable for classical music but that is totally personal opinion of mine smile

#2305576 - 07/22/14 07:28 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Marko in Boston]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Originally Posted By: Marko in Boston
Well, no music rest for me with either board. I use and iKlip iPad holder mounted to a mic stand.

When I bring my RD800 or ES7 home this is my setup. I keep the old x stand, bench, iPad stand, and monitors there full time.

Nice setup! Is that a Mighty Bright light above the iPad?

#2305577 - 07/22/14 07:29 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Cool setup Marko!

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2305596 - 07/22/14 07:58 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: slowtraveler]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: slowtraveler

Nice setup! Is that a Mighty Bright light above the iPad?

Yes, that is a Mighty Bright Duet LED Music Light. I have three of them. Best $20 you can spend . AC or DC w/ clip - just get one and keep it your gig bad or at home. Great light to have on hand.

#2305608 - 07/22/14 08:15 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Marko in Boston]
slowtraveler Offline

Yes, that is a Mighty Bright Duet LED Music Light. I have three of them. Best $20 you can spend . AC or DC w/ clip - just get one and keep it your gig bad or at home. Great light to have on hand.

Thanks, Marko. I've seen those around and wondered about them. I'm adding it to my shopping list right now.

Cheers,

Ben

#2305611 - 07/22/14 08:24 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Kawai James]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Cool setup Marko!

James
x

Thanks James!

OT: I have the ES7 at my office full time but I bring it home often because the RD800 is usually on the road, in my car, or at friends home studio for band practice. So I have still been bringing the ES7 home often because I have not had a chance to pull the trigger on a MP7, MP11, or whatever for permanent home DP. BUT, the ES7 sounds absolutely incredible with my PreSonus set up.

As much as i am loving my RD800 live, the ES7 is still such a pleasure in every way.

#2305615 - 07/22/14 08:39 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: slowtraveler]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, Marko. I've seen those around and wondered about them. I'm adding it to my shopping list right now.

Cheers,

Ben

I really love it. Usual you can get them for $19US if you look around. Amazon has them for $22 Amazon: Mighty Bright 51810 Duet2 Music Light

Edit:

Without Mighty Bright

With Mighty Bright

ES7 from a few months ago with Mighty Bright

Edited by Marko in Boston (07/22/14 09:14 PM)

#2305660 - 07/22/14 10:28 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Marko in Boston]
slowtraveler Offline

ES7 from a few months ago with Mighty Bright

Very cool! Does its clamp attach securely to the ES7's music rest, or are you using some additional hardware?

#2305795 - 07/23/14 08:22 AM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: slowtraveler]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Very cool! Does its clamp attach securely to the ES7's music rest, or are you using some additional hardware?

Well, it clips on but there is not much for the clamp to bite onto the music rest because the top bar is so thin so it has the tendency to spin. However, if your ES7 is against a wall like mine there is no problem. Regardless I sure you can easily come up with something clever to make it more secure without being pressed against the wall.

(sorry Delphian2001 for going OT)

#2305828 - 07/23/14 09:45 AM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Marko in Boston]
slowtraveler Offline

Thanks, Marko. Yeah, that music rest is the only thing about my ES7 that I'm disappointed in. (At least they include one with the piano, though!)

#2306462 - 07/24/14 01:16 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Delphian2001]
bgiles Offline

Loc: Worcester, UK
About 10 years ago, I purchased a Bespeco BP 100T with the 2nd tier arms, then inverted them to accommodate a music desk.

This has given me a really sturdy arrangement for shows & gigs over the years.

#2307410 - 07/26/14 03:50 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: CyberGene]
slipperykeys Offline

Loc: Dorset, England
Originally Posted By: CyberGene
Classical musicians are kind of neglected by Roland as it seems. It can arguably be confirmed by the slightly overprocessed and punchy piano sound which isn't suitable for classical music but that is totally personal opinion of mine smile

I think that anybody who is serious about classical piano music but must have a digital piano should put Roland high on the list. It can arguably be confirmed by the inclusion of classical temperaments in the tunings. What else would you use them for? I have an RD 700 NX and simply use a music stand behind it for sheet music. Personally I just couldn't get on with a screen.

#2307422 - 07/26/14 04:51 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Delphian2001]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
The HP series is aimed squarely at the classical music player - demos tend to be of Mozart or Chopin, typically. The HPi series by Roland may have been the first to seriously address incorporating the new technology into music teaching systematically, though that will be superseded by external computers in pads and phones, also supported by Roland with their 'piano partner' system. So it doesn't seem correct to say that classical musicians are 'neglected by Roland'. The piano sound may not be to everyone's taste, but it's certainly one of the most responsive and expressive (in terms of timbral variation) systems made for DP.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2307455 - 07/26/14 06:14 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Delphian2001]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I haven't chimed in on this thread cause I don't want to appear to be putting down Roland, again but come on, not putting some holes on the back of the RD series for a music rest, just makes me question the leadership at Roland. I get the fact the the RD series is a professional line, but wouldn't Roland want anyone to purchase it and if 50% of those people would pay extra for a music rest, wouldn't that be in the best interest of the co.? An answer from the co. like this: "that's why we make different lines of instruments, so maybe you need to buy a FP80," would just blow my mind, but it would confirm why I had to bail on them.

Now don't take this the wrong way, Roland equipment sounds great, and the RD800 offers many things I wish were on my CP4, but I'm not a power user, so it doesn't matter. I just turn the thing on and am more interested in my playing rather then tweaking each note, which will probably sound different in every room you play it in anyway.

Edited by 36251 (07/26/14 08:28 PM)

#2307497 - 07/26/14 08:15 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Delphian2001]

Yes, I agree that the lack of an *option* for a music rest is a fairly boneheaded move on roland's part. It would be so incredibly easy and inexpensive for them to have added that option. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think a lot of people who might otherwise seriously consider the RD800 are going to pass on it because of the lack of a music rest. Yes, it's possible to get a conductor's stand or something and prop it up behind the instrument, but that's a very inelegant kludge at best. So it's very baffling to me that Roland would explicitly choose to omit something that would be so very to implement and which might attract a lot more customers to its flagship product. Especially since Roland seems to have been struggling during the economic downturn.

Now, in Roland's defense I'll say only a couple of things

1) the music rests that ship with many digital pianos are often horrible flimsy things, either terribly small cheap plastic things, or some coat hanger bent around to hold up a couple of pieces of paper. So, not much better than no music rest at all.

2) the board itself is otherwise an amazing instrument. The new action is the best digital piano action I've ever had the pleasure to play. I'm absolutely in love with the way it feels and how it connects to the sounds. I really really want one LOL.

Warm Regards

P.S. If I'm talking about sheet music stands I really should give props to Nord. The sheet music stand available for their pianos is amazing. It's this giant hunk of sheet metal. It's incredibly sturdy, and huge, big enough to hold a 4 page score or a thick heavy fake book with ease.

#2307557 - 07/26/14 10:39 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Delphian2001]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC.
Yes. I've heard from a few end users about the lack of an included music rest on the RD800 here in Canada. So. Let me ask those of you who think it was a bad move a question...

Would you be willing to pay a fair amount MORE at retail for an RD800 for a QUALITY music rest, or would you rather pay for a Manhasset music rest separately?

The few end users I spoke with found that solution to be equitable for them. They wanted one included, but liked the price of the Manhasset vs. the premium that an included rest would possibly be if done right.

Doing it cheaply wouldn't serve our customers best. Doing it really well wouldn't be cheap.

And I agree that Nord makes a FANTASTIC Music rest on some of their instruments. Which tend to cost equal to or more than an RD800. The music rest figures into that cost.

Jay
www.roland.ca
t: RCMPianoGuy

#2307570 - 07/26/14 11:04 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Delphian2001]
Tuneless Online   content

Loc: AZ, USA
Jay, why would it have to be any better than the rest that came with my FP-50? I am perfectly happy with that rest, and it didn't make the FP-50 a bank breaker.

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano(yet) and couldn't tune a guitar, much less a piano.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.

#2307571 - 07/26/14 11:09 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Jay Roland]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Jay, I'd say you already have your answer - people would pay for a quality music rest. People pay for the Nord music rest. You have several posts here saying it's a potential deal-breaker. To not acknowledge that this is a mistake/severe oversight just sounds overly defensive of your product. It should be there - it's not rocket science. Separate rests placed behind a piano is both inelegant and a pain in the behind. I'm sure it won't be overlooked on the RD800's successor.

#2307577 - 07/26/14 11:25 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Delphian2001]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Really ???? Is this even an issue??? I think there is no need for a "default" music rest on ANY "STAGE" piano. There are so many alternatives than the default music rest that is included with some STAGE pianos. It is such an obsolete feature especially with today's technology such as tablets. Buy a separate music rest that makes sense for YOUR situation whether it be at home or on stage; paper or tablet. Why would anyone let the manufacturer chose whats best for you??? Good for you Roland by not adding a crappy little music stand to your STAGE pianos assuming that's what everyone will use. Now that I know better, I never use the music rest on my ES7 (and obviously RD). I use my iPad mic stand or my $35 On-Stage rest depending on my situation. Both way better than anything included.

#2307578 - 07/26/14 11:26 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Delphian2001]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC.
I'm not trying to sound defensive, so I apologize if I do.

To be able to feed this back, I'd need to know at what price increase the inclusion of a music rest would take us OUT of the running.

Consumers are increasingly price conscious, and if it priced us out of the running with our competitors and more people decided AGAINST the RD800 based on that, then it wouldn't be a good idea at all.

If we included one, I would prefer that it be a beautiful and solid rest, that could let me put a 4 page lead sheet out front of me.

Jay
www.roland.ca
t: RCMPianoGuy

#2307594 - 07/26/14 11:56 PM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Delphian2001]

Jay,
I didn't think that you sounded defensive. I think you sound like someone who is trying to decide what your customers need and if you (or I guess Roland) can reasonably meet that need. And I don't think it would be necessary for you to include the rest with the instrument. As some have noted here, not everyone needs or wants it. Why not simply make the instrument capable of accepting a rest and selling them separately.

And if you don't want to make your own rests, here's a solution that would cost Roland next to nothing. Drill two holes in the chassis that would fit the Nord music rest (which you agree is awesome). I realize it might not be quite possible on the current line, but just thinking outside the box for future products. Roland could either make their own, similar music rest. Or simply say, We don't make the rest ourselves but you can buy this one here that fits. I bet you'd sell a lot of them if you made them yourself, but if not you could always just let people get the stand from somebody else. By doing that, you've served your customers who need that feature. I also think that if roland made a kick ass music rest and you priced them right, you might even be able to undercut nord on cost and get some of their business (nord owners buying roland music rests because they fit nord products, are awesome and are cheaper). Anyway, just a thought smile

And yes, there are some people for whom setting up a separate stand behind the instrument (and having to carry around the stand in addition to the rest) isn't a problem. But as you've seen here, for at least some people it's a deal breaker. You have to admit it's much more of a pain than a dedicated rest. And even worse, it's just not elegant. The RD800 is an elegant instrument. It deserves elegant solutions smile.

#2307600 - Yesterday at 12:23 AM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Jay Roland]
slowtraveler Offline

Originally Posted By: Jay Roland
And I agree that Nord makes a FANTASTIC Music rest on some of their instruments. Which tend to cost equal to or more than an RD800. The music rest figures into that cost.

The Nord Music Stand EX is an extra-cost accessory. Nord uses a standardized attachment scheme throughout its product line, so the same music rest is compatible with a number of different keyboards. It is not bundled with any of their products, however.

The Kawai ES7 and MP7/11 pianos include a music rest.

Yamaha has had the good sense to include attachment points on the CP4 and CP40 compatible with the CP-REST accessory, though no music rest is included with those products.

The frequent recurrence of threads on this topic suggests that there is a permanent (and vociferous, though perhaps not large) segment of stage piano customers, even for the flagship products, that really, really wants an attachable music rest.

Roland already makes a number of accessories compatible with its various stage pianos. Even if (like Yamaha) it didn't bundle a music rest with every product, I think it would be smart for Roland at least to adopt a standardized attachment scheme and make a good music rest available as an accessory.

#2307601 - Yesterday at 12:37 AM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Jay Roland]
slowtraveler Offline

Originally Posted By: Jay Roland
To be able to feed this back, I'd need to know at what price increase the inclusion of a music rest would take us OUT of the running.

Okay, I'll bite. I'm an ES7 owner who, unlike Marko, really wants to have a solid, functional, attachable music rest for his stage piano.

I notice that the very heavy-duty Nord music rest costs $120 in the States.

I think that's a little steep (per usual with Nord, which charges out the wazoo for everything), but I'd buy a quality attachable music rest accessory--better designed than the Kawai one, please--at any price up to $100, no problem.

#2307614 - Yesterday at 01:58 AM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Jay Roland]
plumpfingers Offline

Loc: Northern California
I bought an RD-800 a couple months ago and my only disappointment with it is the lack of a music stand. I would've been willing to pay $100 or a bit more for that option. I may be in a minority, but you wanted feedback from those who own them, so there you have it.

#2307620 - Yesterday at 02:40 AM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: plumpfingers]
pwl Offline

Loc: Bay Area CA
I didn't realize the RD-800 didn't have a rest (or provision for attaching one). I owned a Kawai MP8000 with no rest and no provision for one - and vowed never again! Too inconvenient.

#2307629 - Yesterday at 03:09 AM Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? [Re: Delphian2001]
bgiles Offline

Loc: Worcester, UK
You won't get a more sturdy music stand arrangement than this, and it's adjustable in height and tilt.

It doesn't matter what stage piano you use, as the arms are attached to the keyboard stand.

And because the ledge of the desk is always perpendicular to the back, the music never slides down, or crumples at the bottom.

I've been using this arrangement for 10 years.

Bespeco BP100T with 2nd tier.

All I had to do after buying the stand, was pull the feet and bungs out of the arms, push them into the opposite ends, and then swap the arms over so that the short legs are at the bottom.

I would imagine that this modification could be done with other manufacturers stands.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
104 registered (AndrewJCW, Atrys, ando, Abby Pianoman, 37 invisible), 1452 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156219 Topics
2294223 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
07/27/14 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
07/27/14 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
07/27/14 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
07/27/14 07:12 PM
Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on?
by Alex1
07/27/14 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission