2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
Originally Posted by Goomer Piles
A headshrinker could have a field day over there!
One already does!
laugh

Du holde Kunst...
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Vid
Originally Posted by patH
Originally Posted by Vid
The trolls are well fed today and two of them have teamed up apparently. I wouldn't doubt they are one and the same.

I did a bit of feeding. wink

We are all guilty! laugh

Don't worry, trolls are eating machines, and don't know when they're already full to bursting.

They keep feeding. Until they.......explode (in a puff of smoke - because there is no substance in them grin).

If music be the food of love, play on!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Vid
Originally Posted by patH
Originally Posted by Vid
The trolls are well fed today and two of them have teamed up apparently. I wouldn't doubt they are one and the same.

I did a bit of feeding. wink

We are all guilty! laugh

Yep. And I'm guilty (again) of staying up too late. Hopefully I won't fall asleep at work tomorrow (again). blush tired grin
Good night.

Last edited by patH; 07/22/14 06:58 PM.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I guess all these poor classical composers were given a lot of grief by their contemporaries and maybe even today.. Tchaikovsky received mostly negative reviews by the critics of the day when the beautiful "Nutcracker Suite" premiered, mostly because he used "odd instruments" in the orchestra including celesta and triangle - I guess the more creative they were, the more negative feedback they got:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nutcracker

"One novelty in Tchaikovsky's original score was the use of the celesta, a new instrument Tchaikovsky had discovered in Paris. He wanted it genuinely for the character of the Sugar Plum Fairy to characterize her because of its "heavenly sweet sound". It appears not only in her "Dance", but also in other passages in Act II. (However, he first wrote for the celesta in his symphonic ballad The Voyevoda the previous year.) Tchaikovsky also uses toy instruments during the Christmas party scene. Tchaikovsky was proud of the celesta's effect, and wanted its music performed quickly for the public, before he could be "scooped."

The ballet is scored for a large orchestra consisting of 3 flutes, 2 piccolos, 2 oboes, cor anglais, 2 clarinets (in A, B-flat), bass clarinet (in B-flat), 2 bassoons + 4 horns (in F), 2 trumpets (in A, B-flat), 3 trombones, tuba + 3 timpani, triangle, tambourine, cymbals, bass drum, military drum, tam tam, glockenspiel, triangle, castanets, toy instruments (rattle, trumpet, drums, cuckoo, quail, cymbals), celesta (or piano) + 2 harps, violins I, violins II, violas, cellos, and double basses."

Last edited by Elssa; 07/22/14 08:21 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Ouch, I just found this thread. I spend most of my time in the PC because I'm a serious, classical, advanced player. Sadly, most of what everyone has said is right on target. PC has always had its share of curmudgeons but most were quite knowledgeable and worth reading. In the last 2 years we seem to be attracting more noisy narcissists and trolls who just want to fight.[Linked Image] I've been participating less; selecting those threads that interest me. I've always chosen my words carefully to avoid those irritating people who look for fault in others.

Those of us at PC who try to be polite and productive find it distressing that others are intimidated and uncomfortable in PC. It's actually embarrassing to be lumped with a few bad apples. Those of us looking for interesting conversations find the rudeness and attacks very frustrating. I do hope things become better soon. The ambiance in PC is always in flux. Please use your ignore option and look for the best in us. Some of us are actually nice people. 3hearts

Best regards,

Deborah
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Vid
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Originally Posted by Vid

If you're thinking of the same ones I am, I very much doubt they are the same individual. But perhaps they have teamed up to run on different schedules so that when one troll is asleep, the other can stir the proverbial pot. grin

In Linux we call them cron jobs! laugh

I think that thread has finally ran its course.

Indeed, it has now been locked, to the relief of all who had dared to glance at it. I believe I made the right decision not to participate, except to request the lock which was indeed forthcoming. laugh

Regards,

Polyphonist
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by gooddog
[Linked Image]

A perfect image for the occasion--haven't seen this one before!

1989 Baldwin R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ouch, I just found this thread. I spend most of my time in the PC because I'm a serious, classical, advanced player. Sadly, most of what everyone has said is right on target. PC has always had its share of curmudgeons but most were quite knowledgeable and worth reading.

+10 This is very true. I am an early intermediate, serious student, striving to advance but I still find value there sometimes. Many valuable links and tips. I have never posted there because I really have nothing to contribute there yet... still I go there at times to see if I can glean anything, and I do, just can't deal with those asinine comments by those who deem their opinion as superior to everyone else and draw attention to themselves. I have listened to most of the PC recordings and tend to value those posters opinions as more valid over others whose only aim is to disrupt. Ignore this poster is a good thing. cool

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
...Those of us at PC who try to be polite and productive find it distressing that others are intimidated and uncomfortable in PC. It's actually embarrassing to be lumped with a few bad apples. Those of us looking for interesting conversations find the rudeness and attacks very frustrating. I do hope things become better soon. The ambiance in PC is always in flux. Please use your ignore option and look for the best in us. Some of us are actually nice people...

Don't worry; it is pretty easy to tell the good ones from the others!

Learner
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I'm a bit divided on the current group-think on disliking who I think is being referenced.

There's two things going on, here...

1. It takes two or more to tango - people don't argue in a vacuum.

2. There is a rather traditional, dogmatic or deferential landscape with some subjects - which does deserve challenege, as does the status quo - that is all healthy. From perspective, there's nothing wrong with trying to inject a bit of objectivity, science or progressive thought - and just as often, it's an ideological clash, as much as anything else.

Yes, somebody constantly playing the polemic no doubt is tedious for some, but you don't have to engage him / her, nor read threads unless you want to - it's all choice.

In the example hinted at - I don't think they do themselves any favours - and I'd certainly buy that there looks to me, a fair degree of bluff and bluster in those, thar, sails - but all the same, I suspect even if he / she wasn't playing rather fast and loose in supporting - or perhaps understanding - their argument, and wasn't as, perhaps, abrasive - even if their argument was strong, valid, supported, and not expressed acidically, I suspect there's still plenty that still would not like the thrust of their perspective.

When I hear groups of people, condemning others, in another thread, I shake my head just as much at them, as what they complain at. I realise the context - but all the same, it's very insular, clique-ish, and really, a bit childish.

People chose to engage with them - it's all choice. Ignoring is just as easy. Arguing with them, to a certain degree, gives them more wings and influence, than simply them expressing a singular, perhaps unpopular, opinion.

If you don't like what this person says, simply ignore them. If the thread descends to a state you don't like, you don't have to read it. If you believe it should command the attention of a moderator, then report it.

M
M
Originally Posted by Lester Burnham
I'm a bit divided on the current group-think on disliking who I think is being referenced.

There's two things going on, here...

1. It takes two or more to tango - people don't argue in a vacuum.

2. There is a rather traditional, dogmatic or deferential landscape with some subjects - which does deserve challenege, as does the status quo - that is all healthy. From perspective, there's nothing wrong with trying to inject a bit of objectivity, science or progressive thought - and just as often, it's an ideological clash, as much as anything else.

Yes, somebody constantly playing the polemic no doubt is tedious for some, but you don't have to engage him / her, nor read threads unless you want to - it's all choice.

In the example hinted at - I don't think they do themselves any favours - and I'd certainly buy that there looks to me, a fair degree of bluff and bluster in those, thar, sails - but all the same, I suspect even if he / she wasn't playing rather fast and loose in supporting - or perhaps understanding - their argument, and wasn't as, perhaps, abrasive - even if their argument was strong, valid, supported, and not expressed acidically, I suspect there's still plenty that still would not like the thrust of their perspective.

When I hear groups of people, condemning others, in another thread, I shake my head just as much at them, as what they complain at. I realise the context - but all the same, it's very insular, clique-ish, and really, a bit childish.

People chose to engage with them - it's all choice. Ignoring is just as easy. Arguing with them, to a certain degree, gives them more wings and influence, than simply them expressing a singular, perhaps unpopular, opinion.

If you don't like what this person says, simply ignore them. If the thread descends to a state you don't like, you don't have to read it. If you believe it should command the attention of a moderator, then report it.

Well-put. The only reason I chose to engage this person (after my first experience with them and realizing that they are not really dispensing any knowledge) was for the sole purpose to make it clear to newcomers to the thread or the forum that this was the case.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
I have started liking PC more in the recent months. I used not liking to be out there. I don't know exactly what happened. Probably I grew thick skin since I started hanging around with advanced players in my real life. I actually find many of those comments refreshing and encouraging in a way since I know all my friends / teachers / coaches are good hearted people.

Refreshing because if I am not getting something I better hear that than "wow it was beautiful. If you work on the rhythm, you get better". I will give you an example. Suppose I'm having hard time with the rhythm, say 2 against 3 in Fantasy Impromptu in our weekly studio. My teachers typical comments, "I hope you are hearing what you are playing. you are not getting the whole run of 2 against 3. You are still playing the three in two beats like Tan TaTa instead of Ta Ta Ta. It sounds so wired". I see all the classmates nods with the remark. I know at this point someone will say, "I wonder if you have the rhythm inside of you, clap your hands with me...etc". I used felt hurt thinking being degraded as a rhythm retard etc but hey, this sort of the criticism worked wonders. I would picture myself begrudgingly clapping my hands at home. I get better. It is encouraging at the same time because I know they know I can do better. They would never give the sort of criticism if they think they are talking to someone young in piano study.

I think most of the seemingly critical comments I see in PC is very similar to the ones I get from my real life friends. There are discussions about composers and compositions or performers I find very interesting too. As I mentioned earlier what missing out there is supportive atmosphere like ATOW type thread. You see I'm totally in between. Appreciate honest and direct feedback (auch!) but want to hang around in the warmth as well.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
It takes two or more to tango -- people don't argue in a vacuum

You're right, they don't. I've never hidden the fact that I like a good debate (or even a not-so-good one that has the potential to improve). I participated in the thread because, at least at first, I found it quite entertaining. I even said as much in my first post on *this* thread.

There is a rather traditional, dogmatic or deferential landscape with some subjects -- which does deserve challenge, as does the status quo -- that is all healthy. There's nothing wrong with trying to inject a bit of objectivity, science or progressive thought -- and just as often, it's an ideological clash, as much as anything else.

Agreed.

There was a part of that thread that held a certain kind of appeal to me: the question of whether it is possible to define "objectively perfect technique" based on the way physics, anatomy and physiology affect piano playing -- and if so, what that perfect technique would look like. That, I think, could have been a worthy and interesting topic of conversation. Mind you, I don't feel that I myself am in a position to truly tackle that issue. But I can see how someone who has the relevant knowledge, both of piano performance and of the way it is influenced by physics/anatomy/physiology, might be able to determine "objective" deficiencies in someone's physical playing based on that.

Assuming this is indeed possible, though, doing it would require:

1) True, in-depth knowledge of the relationship between physical movement and pianistic skill.

2) A certain level of tolerance for the idea that pianists whose technique is "objectively sub-optimal" might have good reasons to play the way the do -- reasons that have nothing to do with perfect technique, and everything to do with personal comfort and -- the ultimate goal -- musicality (*).

It seems to me that the main players in the PC debate demonstrated neither of the above during the course of that debate. And yet, one of them repeatedly claimed that just about everything he said was "objectively true", without substantiating that claim in any meaningful way. He's also not shy about professing that those who can't see it his way are obviously stupid (or something to that effect), and that anything which does *not* meet his definition of objective truth is essentially worthless.

In my opinion, it's impossible to have a fruitful, civilised discussion with anyone who thinks like that. And the fact that individuals with these or similar world views regularly frequent the Pianist's Corner, makes it a rather inhospitable place to those who go there looking for meaningful conversation.

(*) Although it would be interesting to test this if we could, I do not currently believe that an automaton, built and programmed specifically to play the piano with "objectively perfect technique", could move its audience in the way that some truly skilled and musically gifted concert pianists can. Conversely, I do not think that "objectively perfect technique" is absolutely required for a meaningful, musical performance of the vast majority of music out there.

Originally Posted by malkin
...Those of us at PC who try to be polite and productive find it distressing that others are intimidated and uncomfortable in PC. It's actually embarrassing to be lumped with a few bad apples. Those of us looking for interesting conversations find the rudeness and attacks very frustrating. I do hope things become better soon. The ambiance in PC is always in flux. Please use your ignore option and look for the best in us. Some of us are actually nice people...

Oh, I do agree! But that tends to leave a lot of threads looking like Swiss cheese because of this:

*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

B
B
Originally Posted by Goomer Piles
Originally Posted by malkin

Oh, I do agree! But that tends to leave a lot of threads looking like Swiss cheese because of this:

*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

I've never thought of using the 'ignore' button, because personal insults either trigger off my 'fight, fight or fight' instincts (not fright, flight or fight) - and I do enjoy a good scrap when I'm in the mood wink - or they just slip off me like water off a duck's back, if I deign that insult too crass to be worth my effort to respond to.

But I can see that those with sensitive dispositions would find it useful, even if it makes some threads look somewhat threadbare. I believe that there are a few people who have me on 'ignore', apparently because of my totally biased and forthright opinions....... thumb

If music be the food of love, play on!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Saranoya
There was a part of that thread that held a certain kind of appeal to me: the question of whether it is possible to define "objectively perfect technique" based on the way physics, anatomy and physiology affect piano playing -- and if so, what that perfect technique would look like. That, I think, could have been a worthy and interesting topic of conversation. Mind you, I don't feel that I myself am in a position to truly tackle that issue. But I can see how someone who has the relevant knowledge, both of piano performance and of the way it is influenced by physics/anatomy/physiology, might be able to determine "objective" deficiencies in someone's physical playing based on that.

1) True, in-depth knowledge of the relationship between physical movement and pianistic skill.

2) A certain level of tolerance for the idea that pianists whose technique is "objectively sub-optimal" might have good reasons to play the way the do -- reasons that have nothing to do with perfect technique, and everything to do with personal comfort and -- the ultimate goal -- musicality (*).

It seems to me that the main players in the PC debate demonstrated neither of the above during the course of that debate. And yet, one of them repeatedly claimed that just about everything he said was "objectively true", without substantiating that claim in any meaningful way. He's also not shy about professing that those who can't see it his way are obviously stupid (or something to that effect), and that anything which does *not* meet his definition of objective truth is essentially worthless.

Agreed.
And I admire you for staying civil in that thread, when the poster in question replied in a condescending Dunning-Kruegery way.

However, who am I to talk; the thread was locked shortly after I joined it...

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Saranoya
It takes two or more to tango -- people don't argue in a vacuum

You're right, they don't. I've never hidden the fact that I like a good debate (or even a not-so-good one that has the potential to improve). I participated in the thread because, at least at first, I found it quite entertaining. I even said as much in my first post on *this* thread.

There is a rather traditional, dogmatic or deferential landscape with some subjects -- which does deserve challenge, as does the status quo -- that is all healthy. There's nothing wrong with trying to inject a bit of objectivity, science or progressive thought -- and just as often, it's an ideological clash, as much as anything else.

Agreed.

In my opinion, it's impossible to have a fruitful, civilised discussion with anyone who thinks like that. And the fact that individuals with these or similar world views regularly frequent the Pianist's Corner, makes it a rather inhospitable place to those who go there looking for meaningful conversation.

(*) Although it would be interesting to test this if we could, I do not currently believe that an automaton, built and programmed specifically to play the piano with "objectively perfect technique", could move its audience in the way that some truly skilled and musically gifted concert pianists can. Conversely, I do not think that "objectively perfect technique" is absolutely required for a meaningful, musical performance of the vast majority of music out there.

I just wanted to add a response to your reply, I have nothing of any substance to reply with, I just found your reply well written, considered, and I wouldn't argue with any of it.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Saranoya, as I am sure you know, elite athletes nowadays can go through very acute computer-aided measurement and analysis of their motions in order to achieve technical improvement. Maybe an application of these methods to piano technique would work if tailored to each pianist specifically? Presumably the applications themselves would need to be very specific ("here is part of why your scales are uneven above speed x").

About the argumentation in that thread, it seems that the overall quality of discourse at P.C. became corrupted while I was away for many months. Does the same poster need to post the ridiculous notion over and over at so many threads that if only the original poster had an improved scientific education all questions about piano playing and music would be satisfactorily answered?

Maybe Piano World can look at dispensing with anonymous accounts. That and charging a minimal fee for membership would get rid of a lot of the harassers. Why pay to harass someone here when it is possible to do it anonymously and for free somewhere else? Almost everything has an upside and a downside. The downside of the free, anonymous access is participation here by these harassers, most acutely in the P.C. forum.

I have my own argumentative sins here, and probably am on more than two or three persons' ignore list. It is one of my personal foibles that I feel compelled to dive in when Louis Podesta rolls out his argument that modern pianists are without foundation in performing 18th and 19th century piano music very much as notated in Urtext editions. Great music is highly versatile and is able to be communicative through a wide range of prioritizations of interpretive goals. Louis' particular brand of musical dogmatism - positing the 19th century champions of musical interpretive freedom as somehow in opposition to the freedom to interpret older music as concert pianists do in our day - seems contradictory.

It is almost as if he thinks modern pianists don't interpret music, as though they are just mindless copyists and automatons.

P.C. is a fine place to post except for having to deal with the recent trolls - and Louis is not one of these, his intensity is that of a person on a mission, not someone out to harass or to confound. I am glad someone other than me deeply values many of the precious recordings from early in the era of recorded music.

When I see the trolls posting I don't even want to get involved in the thread as one's voice risks becoming immersed in a sea of "sound and [of] fury, signifying nothing."

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michael Sayers
When I see the trolls posting I don't even want to get involved in the thread as one's voice risks becoming immersed in a sea of "sound and [of] fury, signifying nothing."
That is so unfortunate and is true of me also. Yesterday, I opened a thread that is generating some very thoughtful conversation and I'm learning a lot. Sadly, I can't help holding my breath waiting for someone with a bone to pick to hijack it. The very nature of a "monitored forum" is to keep the conversation civil. If my thread starts spiraling downward, I'm going to hit that "notify" button so fast, those trolls' heads will spin!

Best regards,

Deborah
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Michael Sayers
That is so unfortunate and is true of me also. Yesterday, I opened a thread that is generating some very thoughtful conversation and I'm learning a lot. Sadly, I can't help holding my breath waiting for someone with a bone to pick to hijack it. The very nature of a "monitored forum" is to keep the conversation civil. If my thread starts spiraling downward, I'm going to hit that "notify" button so fast, those trolls' heads will spin!

Always good to remember these posts are viewed by others seeking knowledge in future years. When I look through old posts the good information stands out while the purely argumentative is very quickly discarded and ignored.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission