Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
169 registered (accordeur, Achilleas, A-Tom, A Guy, 41 invisible), 2036 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2305853 - 07/23/14 10:18 AM Help for Newbie
DancerJ Offline

I am not only completely new to buying a piano, but also to playing the piano. Long story short, I finally want to do something about my dream to learn how to play the piano. Since I am good at learning something new on my own, I want to start to learn the piano on my own for a while. To be able to do that, I need a piano. But I have absolutely no idea where to start. First I was shocked how expensive pianos are. My budget is under $5K. I have been dreaming about playing the piano for decades. Once I start, I will not stop. So I don't want to start with a piano that will last only a few years. Where and how can I get a good piano that will help me become a true pianist? And what kind of piano would that be? I am in MD if it matters.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2305921 - 07/23/14 12:24 PM Re: Help for Newbie [Re: DancerJ]
SoundThumb Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Welcome to piano world, Jill. Learning to play piano has less to do with your choice of piano than it does with your determination and enjoyment of practicing. You will begin by spending hundreds and eventually thousands of hours with your instrument. I like to think of it like this. I spend more time with my piano than I do with my car, yet my car cost a lot more than my piano.

Choose a piano that gives you pleasure to look at and even just to think about. One that you love the sound of and the feel of the keys when you press them. Then you will look forward to practicing and that will lead to becoming a pianist. You will surely get some good advice from people on this forum, but each of us are slightly different in terms of what exactly had the right magic to make us get up each morning with the urge to practice. Also, it may be a mistake to try to pick your ultimate instrument as a first instrument. As time goes by, you will likely find that your priorities change, your taste becomes more refined, and you will upgrade your instrument. So my advice is, don't fret too much over your first instrument. Get the first thing that inspires you. Good luck.

#2305926 - 07/23/14 12:29 PM Re: Help for Newbie [Re: SoundThumb]
DancerJ Offline

Great advice. Thank you!

#2305937 - 07/23/14 12:47 PM Re: Help for Newbie [Re: DancerJ]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
Welcome Jill smile

My wife and I went through this process almost a year ago. Along the way we have learned some interesting things.

First, although I sometimes cringe at the thought of a "first piano", it most cases it makes sense. I think the first important question would be are you leaning more toward a digital or acoustic piano?

We have owned and played on both. What we learned is that even for a "starter piano" an acoustic type is preferable if the ergonomics in your house allow it.

At the beginning, we ended up paying about $2500 for a new Kawai digital piano. Knowing what I know now, it would have been better to have spent the same money on a nice, used acoustic upright from a well known brand.

The interesting thing is, a really good acoustic instrument maintained properly can last a lot longer (and still be relevant to your improving skills) than just a few years.

Just to be clear: I am NOT recommending you spend a fortune on a grand piano that you will never outgrow. However, there are ways to get even your first piano purchase to be a good investment in your playing adventures, one that both sounds great and looks beautiful.

Best of luck! smile

#2305940 - 07/23/14 12:50 PM Re: Help for Newbie [Re: DancerJ]
michaelha Online   content
500 Post Club Member

You may be able to get a not too old (under 15 yrs) smaller baby-grand from Yamaha or Kawai. Probably something in the 5'0 - 5'6" range. Something like a Kawai GM or GE series. There are also Chinese made pianos but it seems like pre-2009 they were pretty bad so probably not much in the used market. New, you could get an upright. For an upright, you could almost get a new 48" Yamaha/Kawai.

There are some American uprights like Charles Walter or Czech ones like Petrof that you might be able to get used for that price. But the top-shelf American & European uprights, even used, will be tough to find at $5K in good condition.

#2305945 - 07/23/14 12:59 PM Re: Help for Newbie [Re: michaelha]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
One other thing I'll add. There are a couple of dealers in the Baltimore / D.C. area (one that posts regularly here) that have several used acoustic upright pianos in the $3K to $4K range that I personally would love to call my own.

And if you can push your budget to around $5K, I have priced some good quality uprights from Yamaha, Kawai, and Essex that are brand new and should be a pleasure to own.

One other bit of advice; If you go acoustic, try to never buy a piano that either you have not personally seen and played. Even if you can barely play anything, some someone at the dealer play it for you. Best case scenario; Have a choice of several pianos in your price range at the dealers showroom. Examine and listen to each of them, see which one sounds the best to you.

#2305949 - 07/23/14 01:04 PM Re: Help for Newbie [Re: DancerJ]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hi Jill - Welcome to Piano World!

You might start out by nosing around any piano dealerships in your area and there should be many. Check out used vertical instruments and your buck will go further than trying to shop for a grand. Well within your budget! As a newbie, it's probably best to avoid the "bargains" on Craigslist and such. Look for brand names you have heard of before.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I don't feel challenged...am I moving too fast?
by Guitar&Piano
38 minutes 56 seconds ago
advice about the right choice
by Achilleas
55 minutes 29 seconds ago
Will smaller monitor speakers limit the low end of a DP?
by Giancarlo Robles
Today at 03:37 PM
Thoughts on Sound Imagination and Tone production
by music32
Today at 02:02 PM
The DGX 650 Club
by beebop
Today at 01:13 PM
Forum Stats
77031 Members
42 Forums
159320 Topics
2340354 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission