Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2305964 - 07/23/14 01:24 PM Wurlitzer electric piano sound
88 Fingers Jeff Offline

Loc: Peoria, IL
I am trying to find a keyboard that does a good job of mimicking the old Wurlitzer electromechanical pianos from the 50s - 70s timeframe.

Can anybody offer any recommendations as to what makes/models I might look at?

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2305968 - 07/23/14 01:34 PM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
Marko in Boston Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: 88 Fingers Jeff
I am trying to find a keyboard that does a good job of mimicking the old Wurlitzer electromechanical pianos from the 50s - 70s timeframe.

Is this the type of sound you are trying to mimic?

Edited by Marko in Boston (07/23/14 01:40 PM)

#2305973 - 07/23/14 01:47 PM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: Marko in Boston]
88 Fingers Jeff Offline

Somewhat. Basically, I'm looking for something similar to Supertramp's sound. I've read that in general they used a 200A with some chorus effects (I'm sure the specifics varied from song to song).

#2305979 - 07/23/14 02:05 PM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
Some say the Casio PX-5S has some nice Wurlitzer and EP sounds, I don't know for sure, I haven't tried them. I have a PX-5S, but I'm not so interested in EP voices.

You can browse through the audio demos by clicking the link below, just scroll down you'll find some Wurlys. Beware that you have to have a decent PA system for the EP voices, as probably piano voices as well.

http://sc3900.wix.com/px-5s#!music/c1x9v

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2305983 - 07/23/14 02:14 PM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

There is a great "Trampy" Wurlie preset called "Hello Stranger" on the PX-5S.

Video demo:

#2306028 - 07/23/14 03:42 PM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Do you mean a Wurlitzer sound more like this? https://soundcloud.com/naughty-toad/roland-wurltitzer

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2306065 - 07/23/14 04:50 PM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
88 Fingers Jeff Offline

Thanks for the replies. The PX-5S really sounds quite good. The Roland is also nice.

#2306081 - 07/23/14 05:30 PM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
Marko in Boston Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
The PX-5S really sounds quite good.

PX-5S seems like such a great go-to DP. Not sure what it cant do. On paper you would think someone was joking for everything you get starting with jam-packed features, tons of sounds, great action, 24lbs, can run on batteries, and UNDER $1000. Then throw in Mike Martin's personal support and tutorials.... wow

I know, Im OT again.

#2306113 - 07/23/14 06:59 PM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I think there's a fair bit of choice now - that PX-5S demo does sound very good. (better than the sound Roger Hodgson uses live these days, that's for sure) I liked the demo recordings of the Kawai MP11 too.

Nord's sounds ultra-real: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECIwAB6irGE but probably too expensive?

Greg.

#2306136 - 07/23/14 07:34 PM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
I'm undoubtedly bias, but I think the EPs on the MP11/MP7 are really great. There are some nice Reed (Wurlitzer) EP demos on the MP website:

http://www.kawaimp.com/mp11/media/audio/

The Yamaha CP1/CP5 also had excellent EPs.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2306298 - 07/24/14 05:23 AM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
ColoRodney Online   content

The Korg SV1 is highly regarded for its Rhodes and Wurlitzer samples, and I found it a joy to play. Plus, it looks cool and retro, and has an actual tube amp built right in for very nice amp simulation.

#2306313 - 07/24/14 06:50 AM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
Cmin Offline

Loc: Swabia

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, HP 3000s, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert A-200 active monitors

#2306359 - 07/24/14 09:00 AM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: Cmin]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
I'm not a huge EP aficionado these days , but when I do use them, I want them to sound good.

I had always thought the Nord had the best Wurli & Rhodes (they still are excellent and work fine for the majority of applications) - that is until I started using the CP4 out live.

All the EPs, especially the Wurlis, are thicker , sustain more, and have a smoother top end. Basically I feel everything sounds more realistic & full playing (and sitting in the stage mix) with bass , drums and guitars.

I played the CP4 for over a month until I first gigged out with it. All the time in my studio I didn't think the EPs were that big a deal, and I still preferred the basic tone of the Nord.

Moral of story--things dramatically change when moving from your studio/home to the gig.

The CP4 has the best Wurlis I've heard (and I've owned 2 SV1s in addition to the S90 Classic) . I'd have to have it next to a Kronos to compare the Rhodes. (which is the Korg's strongest appeal, at least to me) Just guessing, but I think the Kronos might have the edge there.

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP5, CP4, Nord Piano 2
RCF TT08A & TT22A speakers

#2306373 - 07/24/14 09:16 AM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: Scott Hamlin]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Hamlin
There is a great "Trampy" Wurlie preset called "Hello Stranger" on the PX-5S.

Video demo:

It's funny how this sounds so much better than the earlier post of a real Wurlizer.

Edited by 36251 (07/24/14 09:16 AM)

#2306381 - 07/24/14 09:30 AM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
It's funny how this sounds so much better than the earlier post of a real Wurlizer.

Yes it is! Casio sounds (considerably) more like a Wurlitzer electric piano than a real Wurlitzer electric piano. Though it has something to do with the playing, which on the real Wurlitzer is a bit Sunday-lunchtimish for an EP demo (IMHO).

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2306474 - 07/24/14 01:52 PM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: sullivang]
88 Fingers Jeff Offline

Originally Posted By: sullivang
I think there's a fair bit of choice now - that PX-5S demo does sound very good. (better than the sound Roger Hodgson uses live these days, that's for sure)

I was thinking the same thing.

#2306475 - 07/24/14 01:52 PM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

No one has mentioned Kurzweil yet, so I'll toss that in, I think they have some of the best EPs. And you can get them in models as cheap as the SP4-7. If you get the SP4, be sure to download the additional free EP sounds from their web site.

#2306746 - 07/24/14 11:05 PM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: anotherscott]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Nobody has mentioned "Lounge Lizard", either. It has a whole bunch of Wurlitzer presets, and it's fully programmable.

The cost of a PC, a MIDI-to-USB converter, and either Pianoteq or Lounge Lizard (each of them model both Rhodes and Wurlitzer) is less than most DP's.

. Charles

#2307122 - 07/25/14 07:04 PM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Somewhat. Basically, I'm looking for something similar to Supertramp's sound. I've read that in general they used a 200A with some chorus effects (I'm sure the specifics varied from song to song).

One of the "Lounge Lizard" pre-sets is named "Tramp Wurly". That might be a good place to start.

Free download, free use for 14 days.

. Charles

#2307189 - 07/25/14 09:51 PM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
Dave Weiser Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
I made a few Supertramp Wurly presets for Kurzweil, some a while back (PC2, K26, PC3) and one quite recently (Forte).
The one in the PC3/Artis has an audio demo.
They don't have an audio demo up for the specific Tramp sound in the Forte, but there are other Wurly demos posted.

https://soundcloud.com/kurzweil-music-systems/sets/artis-series-e-piano

https://soundcloud.com/kurzweil-music-systems/sets/forte-series-wurly

I did some work for the PX5S as well - a superb all around board, esp considering the price and weight.
http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4725-vintage-keys-set/

#2307251 - 07/26/14 04:27 AM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

[rathole alert]
Dave,
Just a nit, but I notice you called the Casio preset "dogpianet", implying that they used a Pianet. I used to think it was a Pianet too (it sounds like one to me) but according to here: http://www.hallofelectricpianos.co.uk/whoplayed.html and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Greenspoon it was actually a Wurly. If you have any references I'd be really curious. smile

Greg.

#2307382 - 07/26/14 01:58 PM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: sullivang]
Dave Weiser Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
Originally Posted By: sullivang
[rathole alert]
Dave,
Just a nit, but I notice you called the Casio preset "dogpianet", implying that they used a Pianet. I used to think it was a Pianet too (it sounds like one to me) but according to here: http://www.hallofelectricpianos.co.uk/whoplayed.html and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Greenspoon it was actually a Wurly. If you have any references I'd be really curious. smile

Greg.

Ah yes I've bounced back and forth on this one over the years. Years ago when I created Pianet presets for Kurz (with Pianet samples) we had a few pretty solid keys reference books that listed it as Pianet. But I've also seen the Greenspoon quotes about it being a Wurly. I'm inclined to say that settles it.

Yet there are still a few things that give me at least a hint of a grey area. I'm pretty sure that there's no sustain pedal used on the Three Dog Night recordings. The Pianet had no sustain, the Wurly did. But of course some players used their Wurly without the sus pedal. On Mamma Told me not to Come, the pitchy warble effect sure sounds an awful lot like the Pianet's vibrato setting. Wurly didn't have one of those. Greenspoon mentioned playing the Wurly through a Leslie... yet it still sounds really like the Pianet vibrato. When creating presets to match the recordings, I tried using both Wurly and Pianet samples - I always got better results with Pianet samples. On the PX5S (that has no Pianet samples) I timbre-shifted (transposed the root sample) the Wurly many steps up to get a sound that matched.

All of these factors seem to be at odds with what Greenspoon himself had to say.

The quote I saw from him was quite recent. I've worked with several high profile guys that 30-40 years after the fact have actually gotten some facts wrong about their own recordings. The best example was hanging out with Bernie Worrell from P-Funk and gently reminding him "No dude I'm pretty sure *you* wrote this song". After a minute of memory-jogging he came around saying, "Oh yeah thanks man, I remember now! I love that song!" One hypothesis of mine is that a Pianet could have been used on the studio recordings, but on all live renditions he did in fact use the Wurly. In this scenario, he would have hundreds (or even thousands) of memories of having played the Wurly rig vs the one single memory of the Pianet in the studio. Throw in an adult dose of partying in the 70s and I know my memories of such things might get a little fuzzy.

I'm still 95% on side of thinking it was probably a Wurly. But the nerdly minutiae mentioned above does drive me a little nutty. This is why when I'm not programming keyboards for work I try to keep my head occupied with things like Weird Al, art, old books, history and bad sci-fi/horror movies. Otherwise all of my waking moments would be dominated by keyboard-geek conundrums!

Edited by Dave Weiser (07/26/14 01:59 PM)

#2307413 - 07/26/14 04:11 PM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Dave,
Many thanks for sharing your expertise - absolutely fascinating. I liked your playing a lot too, in those demos.

Greg.

#2307452 - 07/26/14 06:08 PM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

I've read that in general they used a 200A with some chorus effects (I'm sure the specifics varied from song to song).

That's my understanding too, but I can't really hear any chorus in "Dreamer", and it still sounds insanely good. ;^)

Just took another listen to the Kawai Wurly demos - yep - that really is dead on, IMHO - it has that bright metallic tone.

Greg.

#2308038 - Today at 07:42 AM Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Dave,
FWIW, I did a Google for "pianet joy to the world" and found this post by Ken Rich: (I don't know anything about him, but he seems to be into keyboards in a very big way, like yourself)

https://www.facebook.com/KenRichSoundServices/posts/315402998515529

He too seems to be coming round to the opinion that it's a Wurly!

Greg.

#2308272 - 12 minutes 14 seconds ago Re: Wurlitzer electric piano sound [Re: 88 Fingers Jeff]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

And the "previous post" Ken refers to is: https://www.facebook.com/KenRichSoundServices/posts/285471241521959

this pretty much settles it for me - that's a Wurly sounding about the same as the studio recording, IMHO. Moreover, there are sections in the studio recording that really do sound more like a Wurly than a Pianet - the tone sounds more like hammers hitting reeds than the reeds being "plucked".

I'll still download your patch, though, even if you don't rename it. ;^) (if I ever get a PX5S)

Greg.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
147 registered (Alex1, accordeur, anotherscott, AndrewJCW, 46 invisible), 1679 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75566 Members
42 Forums
156235 Topics
2294533 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
teaching in a studio vs independently from home
by JRoberts
07/28/14 07:40 PM
First time piano buyer - please help!
by Ksi
07/28/14 07:29 PM
Verituner Data Download?
by A443
07/28/14 07:27 PM
Meaning of Perfect Fith in music theory
by Weiyan
07/28/14 07:14 PM
Practicing slow is only part of it
by Sweet06
07/28/14 06:50 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission