2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2304535 07/20/14 08:12 PM
S
OP Offline
S

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
There is a lot of talent here.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
This is, indeed a fine work.

The music works very much (and thank you for your recording). I did feel that I'd like the whole performance to be rather slower and more romantic in nature, but I think that this is a computerized performance, in which case it doesn't matter too much I think.

The score, though, I have to confess, looks like a huge mess. Sorry. I'll point out the main things that need correction.

1. First of all as I understand it this hasn't been made by none of the well known software (Finale, Sibelius, Notion, and probably not musescore as well, though I can't be certain). It appears that your software is doing your music wrong! laugh

2. But there are a lot of things that appear to be your choice, so, for example, you should connect the two staves of the piano with the " { " and a single barline. Right now it's confusing enough to have it like this.

3. The next thing that you need to fix is the alignment of the various elements of the score, or any clashing elements. For example the "bad" legato slur in the 3rd system, or the 8va sign that carries on to where there's no music, in the same system, etc.

4. As I understand it this is two pages, one containing 4 staves and the other containing 1. I think it's a real pity not to have all the systems in a single page.

5. BTW, you've posted images, like another member here does. There's a problem here that I can't print the page in any decent size, as it's not a PDF that will retain the quality. While I understand that it might be time consuming, I think that others will also have trouble printing your work, in a decent quality format and perform it. ( Can anyone comment on that? )

Hope this helps.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Nikolas
BTW, you've posted images, like another member here does. There's a problem here that I can't print the page in any decent size, as it's not a PDF that will retain the quality. While I understand that it might be time consuming, I think that others will also have trouble printing your work, in a decent quality format and perform it. ( Can anyone comment on that? )

Hope this helps.

Lovely piece, Nikolas has made some good suggestions about improving the score. I may be wrong, but I don't think PDFs can be posted in a way that they appear as images within a thread in this forum. I'd be happy to be wrong about that because like Nikolas I prefer PDFs. Again, the piece was lovely.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
No, it can't.

But as it stands this can't really be printed in any convenient way. Perhaps posting both would be the best possible solution, although more work for the composer... ?

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the comments about the score. I knew it was time to get rid of my trusty old bargain-basement note editor which works like a word processor. So the pdf here is my first Sibelius project - a frustrating and time-consuming exercise. The learning curve is pretty steep. I put everything into this score I could think of. I would appreciate a critique, if anyone has the time. It is real easy to screw the whole thing up in Sibelius. And that magnetic thing really gave me fits. But I know I'm going to like it.

For Nicolas:
Dreaming of a Three-Part Invention - pdf (Sibelius version)

R
R
I think this is a pretty good score, based off of my knowledge of score aesthetic design smile

I'm not very good at sight reading, but I may spend a week or two on your piece and see what I can do.

Have you tried Finale at all? I don't have any experience with Sibelius, and I'm not 100% sure how it compares with Finale in terms of technical difficulty and whatnot.

You can try Finale Notepad for free before you pick up one of the more advanced versions if you like.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Both are (almost) equally good. It really depends on what you're used to and what the other users you collaborate with work with... Not much else.

Personally I prefer the Finale output, but I think that it's largely based on the music fonts, rather than the ability of the software... :-/

The new score (and thanks) looks rather good. Happy score making! smile

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission