Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
122 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, anotherscott, anamnesis, ando, 35 invisible), 1646 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2306258 - 07/24/14 01:17 AM Need advice on buying a Yamaha Disklavier
Lady Offline

I am finally taking the plunge and buying a Yamaha Disklavier. Still have to make my final choice, though, and that is where I am hoping to get some help. I have narrowed it down to two different models--one new, and one used--both from the same dealer. Here is where it gets tough. I have gotten so many conflicting stories from different stores about the differences between different models of Yamahas (and Yamaha’s website is no help at all) that I am not sure if I am basing my decision on correct information. So, I have created a table with what I know (or think I know) and hope that those of you who know the specifics of each model can tell me if I have my facts straight and offer any other pertinent facts or advice that might be useful in my decision.

OPTION 1:

E Series: DGB1KE3
New - $21,000
*10 year warranty from Yamaha
*5’0” entry level model
*Walnut cabinet (special order)
*Made in Indonesia
*Keys move in player mode
*Latest Disklavier technology
*Internet connection
*USB ports
*Integrated CD Drive
*Can record 2 tracks, i.e. record on part of a duet and then combine with second part of a duet.

Option 2:

Mark IV: DGC1M4
Used – 2005 - $17,000
*2 year warranty from dealer
*5’3” – 1 step up from entry level
*Ebony black
*Made in Japan
*Although not a Pro model, the Mark IV series is a better build than the DGB1KE3
*Keys and pedals move in player mode
*Plays in silent mode with headset
*Internet connection
*USB ports
*Floppy drive (obsolete) instead of CD drive
*Can record multiple tracks (16?), i.e. record a duet plus add voices of different musical instruments.
*Internal hard drive

Did I get this right? Anything else important I should know? Is there anything the newer E3 Disklavier system can do that the Mark IV can’t do, keeping in mind it was built in 2005?
Since both models are within my budget, I am not using initial cost as a determining factor. I am, however, interested in knowing thoughts on which one would bring a higher resale price in about 3 years when we retire and downsize. Although the new E3 is priced higher right now, I would have to take the initial depreciation hit which is already factored into the used Mark IV price. Any advice will be much appreciated.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2311589 - 08/05/14 05:10 PM Re: Need advice on buying a Yamaha Disklavier [Re: Lady]
Left-CA Offline

Keep in mind one can always have the dealer upgrade the player system.

I know you stated that you already narrowed down your options to those two but I recommend you search craigslist also, both choices seem on the high side of the pricing spectrum.

Nathan

~Kawai~Shigeru~Walter~
Chopin
Op 28. No. 4,6,7 -Sept 2013
Op. 10 No. 4 -Aug 2013
Op. 25 No 1 -Aug 2014
Op. 18 -April 2010
Op. 34 No. 2 -Jan 2011
Op. 64. No. 2 -July 2011
Liszt
Paganini Etude No. 6 -June 2014
H. Rhapsody No. 2 -Jan 2013

#2311802 - 08/06/14 02:36 AM Re: Need advice on buying a Yamaha Disklavier [Re: Lady]
Corvus Offline

The only upgrading that can be done on Disklaviers is the head unit. The actual playback/recording system cannot be upgraded; however, you could get a cd player head unit for the Mark IV (they cost about $850).

An E3Pro system, which is only installed on C3 or larger grands, is somewhat better than the Mark IV system.
However, the Mark IV is definitely superior to the E3 system installed on the shorter grands. I would definitely go with the Mark IV.

The dealer in Salt Lake has a Mark IV C2 which has never left the store, on sale for $32,000.

#2311902 - 08/06/14 10:53 AM Re: Need advice on buying a Yamaha Disklavier [Re: Corvus]
terminaldegree Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Corvus

An E3Pro system, which is only installed on C3 or larger grands, is somewhat better than the Mark IV system.
However, the Mark IV is definitely superior to the E3 system installed on the shorter grands. I would definitely go with the Mark IV.

Hi Corvus,

Could you expand on why you think that's the case? (I'm not challenging your statement, I just want to learn more). Thanks.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2312001 - 08/06/14 04:11 PM Re: Need advice on buying a Yamaha Disklavier [Re: Lady]
Corvus Offline

One of the key features of the highest quality reproducing piano systems—Live Performance LX, Bösendorfer SE (and presumably Ceus, although I can't really say as Bösendorfer doesn't really discuss the technical details of that system), and the better Disklavier systems—is that they measure not just the key velocity, but also the hammer shank velocity, which is more directly related to the sound produced than the key velocity, allowing a more accurate reproduction of the original performance.

The Mark IV system (and Mark III and II, at least) use hammer shank velocity sensors. .

At some point, I think partway through Mark II production, but for sure by the time of its successor the Mark III, Yamaha added the higher-level Pro line of Disklaviers, e.g. Mark III Pro, Mark IV Pro, etc.

These Pro systems had additional refinement in the ability to distinguish between about 1000 levels of velocity, as opposed to about 150 levels on the regular line. I believe they also had a finer gradation of damper pedal deployment—maybe 300 levels as opposed to 100? I am not looking these things up for this post, just writing from memory.

The Mark IV and Mark IV Pro were both Very fine systems, but were also expensive to produce, and figuring (correctly, no doubt) that most consumers did not really appreciate the higher quality, and would rather have lower cost, Yamaha introduced the E3 line, which did NOT use hammer shank velocity sensors, saving a lot of money in construction, but reducing the performance quality.

Then Yamaha decided to phase out the Mark IV, and have two systems: the Disklavier E3Pro, equal in quality to the Mark IVPro, installed only on their flagship C (now CX) series from the C3 6-foot + model on up, and the Disklavier E3, without hammer shank velocity sensors, and with sollenoids that reproduce fewer levels of velocity, on everything else.

Strangely, in the rest of the world you can also get an upright disklavier with hammer shank velocity sensors, but the only upright disklaviers now sold in North America do not have hammer shank velocity sensors.

I spent a lot of time in the (often very frustrating) endeavor of trying to understand the reproducing piano market from a consumer perspective. I would certainly welcome any corrections or additional info from anyone else!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
country style piano
by seniormoment
12/21/14 12:42 PM
Fanny Waterman criticizes British pianists
by bennevis
12/21/14 12:37 PM
Forum Stats
77382 Members
42 Forums
160040 Topics
2350181 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission