Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2306304 - Yesterday at 05:59 AM How To Improve?
Xagan Offline

Hi everyone,

I'm Josh, I'm 22, and I'm from London, UK. I've been playing piano since I was about 8, but I stopped having lessons after grade 2. I've had the odd spurts of piano lessons here and there throughout the last few years, so you can probably guess what kind of level I'm at. To give you an idea, I can play Lee Galloway's Canon in D very well (though I make stupid mistakes when I play in front of anyone due to nerves), and I can play the introduction of Firth of Fifth by Genesis, though I do tend to make more mistakes than not when I play it, I think maybe it's just a bit too fast/complex. I once learned the Sweet Child O' Mine version by Scott D. Davis, though I could literally not play that through once without making a mistake and fumbling somewhere, so I've forgot a lot of that piece now as I don't play it.

I would absolutely love some advice to help me get to where I want to be. My cousin is a really good guitar player, he plays at jam nights and he's in a band, I would love to be able to play with him and the band. My problem is that I have zero improvisation skills. I can't emphasize enough just how much I can't improvise, I just don't know how to do it one bit. Him and the band can simply play a blues song, in G for example, and they'll all play along easily, I'd love to do that. They play tons of songs, and as long as they all know the chord structures to the songs, they all seem to know what they're doing.

Here are the main things that hinder me:

- It takes me an extremely long time to learn a piece. Even with Canon in D, it was a long process; I have to work out the notes on the sheet etc, then slowly start to play them, and add one note on each time as I go etc. It's purely by memory, once I've added a section to the piece, I don't even look at the sheet music again, I just gradually memorize. I hope you know what I mean.

- I don't really know chords.

- I can't improvise.

So I'm figuring that I need to learn how to improvise and play by ear, so I can play songs with the band. Or it would be great if I could learn songs by sheet music quicker, because I could play with the band that way.

Me and my cousin have set the aim of playing Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd and Sweet Child O' Mine together, and hopefully a version of Little Wing together. With Free Bird, I've got a whopping 11 page transcription that will probably take me months to learn! For Sweet Child O' Mine, I'm going to do the introduction on piano, well I'll probably play the Scott D. Davis version and hopefully find a way of playing it without all the vocal/guitar bits so that we can play as a band and with a singer. Little Wing is a different kettle of fish altogether, I'm going to have to find my own way of figuring out how to play it, I'm guessing being able to improvise would really help with being able to make up my own version.

I would appreciate any input or any advice. I have to be honest though, I'm not currently able to afford piano lessons. I'm literally just getting started with my dog walking business and things are still difficult, but hopefully when things pick up, I'll be able to afford to have lessons again. But for the meantime, I'm going to have to go at it alone.

Also, from what you can gather, am I kidding myself by thinking that I'll be able to play with my cousin/the band? Am I just going to have to be realistic and accept that it may be quite a long time till I'll be able to do it?

I apologize for the very long lost, I have rambled for quite a while!

Anyway, I'm really pleased to have found this community, it seems like such a great place!

Xagan smile

Piano & Music Accessories
#2306402 - Yesterday at 10:24 AM Re: How To Improve? [Re: Xagan]
Dfrankjazz Online   content

Loc: NYC
Take 'em Mark)

#2306412 - Yesterday at 11:02 AM Re: How To Improve? [Re: Dfrankjazz]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
Originally Posted By: Dfrankjazz
Take 'em Mark)

Dave, that's the chuckle of the day! "Good one" as my friend Mojo says smile

Josh, You're never too old to get to the piano and get where you want to get. What you need if you want to get to where you'd like to get as efficiently as possible ("efficiently" in this sentence is a synonym for "quickly") is a great teacher. And experience - which you can supply and make with stuff you'll learn with a great teacher.

For transparency and to be clear, I'm a teacher so my advice is from that perspective. I live not far from you in the midlands where a former king (Richard III) was found in a parking lot.

You're in London and there are heaps of great teachers there. You're also online and there are a tons of great teachers on Skype. The questions come down to how and where are you going to find your great teacher that leads you to where you want to get.

I can recommend some great classical and jazz teachers in London if you want–send me a PM. I can recommend a fabulous jazz teacher on Skype .... he's already contributed to this thread and his name is Dave Frank! http://www.davefrankjazz.com/.

Do not for a second think that Skype is where you go if you can't find a teacher in your area. What's important is connect to the teacher who's right for you.

Finally the last question, which is can you do it all on your own without a teacher? The answer is yes, of course you can. But you've asked so many questions in your post and given so much background that it's clear, at least to me, that finding a great teacher will save you a lot of time, effort, and frustration.

And of course a lot of time in the practice time at a piano is always part of the recipe.

Hope this helps. Dave? smile

#2306448 - Yesterday at 12:28 PM Re: How To Improve? [Re: Mark Polishook]
Dfrankjazz Online   content

Loc: NYC
Mark is an excellent teacher and is helping alot of folks reach their musical dreams working with them on skype. If you want to do this right, you need a teacher. I don't believe this can be learned by oneself, sorry everybody..if you want this bad enough, my amigo, you will find a way to make the $ necessary to meet with a teacher at least twice/month. It's a question of your desire.

Dave

#2306531 - Yesterday at 03:23 PM Re: How To Improve? [Re: Dfrankjazz]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
And let be said Dave is *100%* class and a huge part of the reason Skype is a great platform for teaching in jazz.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
116 registered (AimeeO, a-z0-9, AmateurBob, AndrewJCW, 28 invisible), 1549 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156143 Topics
2293020 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
07/24/14 11:40 PM
Pianist Noah Landis - Lowell, MA Sept. 6th
by Piano World
07/24/14 06:09 PM
Guidance for Publishing
by Dachshund
07/24/14 06:02 PM
Keith Emerson Playing NY in October!
by Piano World
07/24/14 05:52 PM
Action parts any different from 80s,90s, 2k Charles Walter?
by Gatsbee13
07/24/14 04:36 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission