2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 11 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Wow, immaculate instruments.

Model A, 5'8" ($37k), and a model BB, 7' ($50k).

The 7' was voiced a bit too mellow and dark for my
taste, so I ended up playing the A more.

The were both very easy to trill on, like butter
for lack of a better description. They both had the
new carbon fiber actions, as the tech showed me.

But I don't feel like spending $37k on a piano at this
time.

But it's interesting to note, that the old M&H I was
looking at on Craig's, had a similar easy-to-play
action, and this dealer also had an older M&H, which
was comparable, that then were selling for about $5,600
or so. So $4,100 might not be a bad price the Craig's
piano.

Last edited by Paul678; 07/23/14 11:05 PM.
P
P
Ironically, this week I'm up in the Boston area on business, and I had the wonderful opportunity to tour the M&H factory TODAY in Haverhill (thanks to Mike at M&H for his time this afternoon). The factory has a very good crew and they spend a lot time paying attention to detail. They definitely want to get things right when it comes to precision and quality. I saw the Wessell, Nickel & Gross action up close--I really believe M&H is onto something here with the carbon fiber action. No worries of the shanks, etc., being susceptible to humidity or other issues. Plus, based on their testing of the conventional parts compared to the WN&G carbon fiber action, the WN&G carbon fiber parts endured and endured and endured after many "poundings".

The newer M&H's are very, very good pianos--worth the investment.

Just my "nickel's" worth.

Thanks

Piano Practice
1972 Baldwin R #196745
Casio CDP 100

Soli Deo Gloria
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Piano Practice
Ironically, this week I'm up in the Boston area on business, and I had the wonderful opportunity to tour the M&H factory TODAY in Haverhill (thanks to Mike at M&H for his time this afternoon). The factory has a very good crew and they spend a lot time paying attention to detail. They definitely want to get things right when it comes to precision and quality. I saw the Wessell, Nickel & Gross action up close--I really believe M&H is onto something here with the carbon fiber action. No worries of the shanks, etc., being susceptible to humidity or other issues. Plus, based on their testing of the conventional parts compared to the WN&G carbon fiber action, the WN&G carbon fiber parts endured and endured and endured after many "poundings".

The newer M&H's are very, very good pianos--worth the investment.

Well, after today, I can't doubt that they could be
worth the money.

Overall, the Yamahas and the Kawais are a bit harder to trill on, as the actions feel "heavier".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the tech today said that the action of the older M&Hs are similar to what they build today, except they use carbon fiber and more modern manufacturing techniques. That would not surprise me, because even though the old M&H pianos do not have the "tightness" of the new ones, the ease of trilling is still apparent (I enjoy playing Baroque music).

So perhaps I should consider buying the old Craigslist M&H, because I would like to learn some grand regulation and voicing work anyways. And the tech reminded me that cracks in the soundboard are usually cosmetic, although they would make re-selling the piano difficult.

Hint: don't play the pianos you don't want to spend the money on! Naww.... just kidding! I'm glad I did it, as it was instructive.

P
P
Yesterday, I played several styles of music...a little bit of Bach (a C major prelude) with trills in left hand. Very responsive with the WN&G action.

In scope of the "big picture", in what you are considering, be careful to have the tech to check out the bridges, pin block, etc. too. Earlier this year, I was seriously considering a 90+ year old rebuilt M&H, one I had found on Craigslist. I had a tech to check into this specific piano and in short, he saved my money and manners... Just be careful.

Good luck with your search.

Piano Practice
1972 Baldwin R #196745
Casio CDP 100

Soli Deo Gloria
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Piano Practice
Yesterday, I played several styles of music...a little bit of Bach (a C major prelude) with trills in left hand. Very responsive with the WN&G action.

In scope of the "big picture", in what you are considering, be careful to have the tech to check out the bridges, pin block, etc. too. Earlier this year, I was seriously considering a 90+ year old rebuilt M&H, one I had found on Craigslist. I had a tech to check into this specific piano and in short, he saved my money and manners... Just be careful.

Good luck with your search.

What did your tech find wrong, specifically, if you don't
mind me asking?

P
P
It was a small enough city where the techs knew the reputations of the various rebuilders in the area. For this specific situation, this specific rebuilder was not reputable.

Piano Practice
1972 Baldwin R #196745
Casio CDP 100

Soli Deo Gloria

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission