Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2305530 - 07/22/14 05:05 PM Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

One of today's foremost (forte)pianists has interesting things to say about Mozart's keyboard style, ornamentation (and its implementation), the use of rubato.....and pianos. He also touches on Beethoven and Schumann.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02316g3

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2306320 - 07/24/14 07:56 AM Re: Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music [Re: bennevis]
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London
I have heard Kristian Bezuidenhout talking about playing Mozart on the fortepiano. He is very persuasive on the importance of detailed articulation in Mozart, and on how this is easier achieved on the fortepiano. I can confidently recommend this programme.

In the last year I have heard Bezuidenhout playing Mozart in Edinburgh, Cambridge, Hatfield and at the Wigmore Hall; and just recently in the East Neuk Festival, in the church in the fishing village of St Monans, right on the rocky seashore. His Mozart always seems very natural and very clear. An example for me to aspire to on my Broadwood square!

#2306431 - 07/24/14 11:37 AM Re: Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music [Re: David-G]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

It's interesting the way fortepianists are so much freer - in rhythm, tempi and rubato - than modern pianists when playing music of the period they specialize in.

Listening to his Rondo alla turca near the beginning of the program (and its conclusion a little later), I thought - no way a modern pianist would jerk the rhythm and prolong the rests, etc the way he did in his recording...... grin

#2307105 - 07/25/14 06:15 PM Re: Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music [Re: bennevis]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
I'm so glad that no modern pianist does what the 'authentic' school prescribes: here and there some silly ornament, very unsteady rhythm, not very impressive virtuosity, it all is a hoax.

Mussorgski tableaux d'une exposition/Ravel miroirs

#2307827 - 07/27/14 03:06 PM Re: Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music [Re: dolce sfogato]
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London
Originally Posted By: dolce sfogato
I'm so glad that no modern pianist does what the 'authentic' school prescribes: here and there some silly ornament, very unsteady rhythm, not very impressive virtuosity, it all is a hoax.
Dolce, did you listen to the Bezuidenhout interview?

Do you disagree with his thoughts on decoration in playing Mozart? If so, your statement would be more persuasive if you can reason with his argument.

Did you disagree with Bezuidenhout's thoughts on articulation in Mozart? Again, your statement would be more persuasive if you give a reasoned counter-argument.

#2307901 - 07/27/14 07:01 PM Re: Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music [Re: dolce sfogato]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dolce sfogato

I have spent the better part of the last 3 months researching the performance practice of Mozart, as it relates to my thesis. For those of you familiar with my video,Part II, I use Carl Reinecke's Mozart transcription of the Adagio from the Mozart Piano Concerto in A Major K488.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VPgg3armCI

Now, specific to the OP, it is my opinion that this particular fortepianist is far too conservative in his performance practice compared to a man, (Reinecke) who was playing this piece from the age of 19 (1843) until this recording in 1907 (at the age of 83). He was widely considered the premier Mozart pianist of the 19th century!

As accurately stated in his response to me, Dr. Neal Peres Da Costa ("Off The Record" OUP) said that it is inconceivable that the keyboardists of Mozart's day would play his piano music straight off the page. They were all trained in the Bel Canto Aria style of ornamentation and embellishment, and that is the way they performed his music, as well as that of every other composer.

If anything, Reinecke's version is nowhere rhythmically as elastic as Mozart would have played it. Has anyone ever heard of "Le Nozze di Figaro?" Sing the famous line over and over again.

That means that composers (of that era) did not express themselves one way, vocally, and then all of a sudden decide to drastically want their students/performers to adopt a straight metronomic way (metronomes had not been invented!) for their instrumental music, most importantly keyboard music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXapt6YRxkY&feature=player_embedded

#2307914 - 07/27/14 07:51 PM Re: Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music [Re: bennevis]
Tararex Offline

Loc: Middle Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: bennevis
One of today's foremost (forte)pianists has interesting things to say about Mozart's keyboard style, ornamentation (and its implementation), the use of rubato.....and pianos. He also touches on Beethoven and Schumann.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02316g3

18th century music was considerable more extemporaneous than modern taste allows. Why is this style rejected now?

Is it because:
a. Ornamentation throws an entirely different set of technique challenges into a piece.
b. The ability to improvise ornaments is not equally measurable amongst musicians.
c. Ornaments are unstable and mess up flow of the music.
d. Something else entirely.

Yes, this is a serious question.

#2307937 - 07/27/14 09:18 PM Re: Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music [Re: bennevis]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Historically informed performers do play this music more extemporaneously.
Loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
Always a fan of Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2307968 - 07/27/14 11:55 PM Re: Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music [Re: bennevis]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Interesting interview. Thanks for posting.

#2308248 - 07/28/14 06:30 PM Re: Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music [Re: hreichgott]
Tararex Offline

Loc: Middle Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: hreichgott
Historically informed performers do play this music more extemporaneously.

What drives acceptable ornamentation? I'm working on two Baroque pieces with no markings. Guidance for ornament use seems limited to mechanics and doesn't include rules for how often or what may be used together.

I'm guessing only repeated sections are flourished and ornament type should be consistent throughout a piece?

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help with chords
by Shirz
10/25/14 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
10/24/14 10:23 PM
Who's Online
86 registered (anotherscott, alfredo capurso, 36251, BB Player, ARamadan, 25 invisible), 1140 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158487 Topics
2327471 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission