Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2306104 - 07/23/14 06:39 PM Re: That last 10% [Re: gooddog]
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
Originally Posted By: gooddog
I opened this topic some time ago and it got side-tracked so I'm trying again.

What does one have to do to make our music stand out and sound polished and beautiful? What skills does a professional pianist have that a gifted amateur does not? How do we attain that last 10% that makes the music so wonderful. What steps do we need to take to achieve this level of playing?

I am looking for helpful answers beyond the obvious: "practice".

Long story short: the last 10% happens onstage. Prepare to the max (record yourself, do lots of slow prax, plan out your interpretation, etc.), but also be prepared to let it all go, because what you're after will never happen in a practice room or at home.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2306110 - 07/23/14 06:50 PM Re: That last 10% [Re: Brendan]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted By: Brendan

What does one have to do to make our music stand out and sound polished and beautiful? What skills does a professional pianist have that a gifted amateur does not? How do we attain that last 10% that makes the music so wonderful. What steps do we need to take to achieve this level of playing?

Long story short: the last 10% happens onstage. Prepare to the max (record yourself, do lots of slow prax, plan out your interpretation, etc.), but also be prepared to let it all go, because what you're after will never happen in a practice room or at home.
Can you please elaborate more? What is it that happens on stage?

Deborah

#2306112 - 07/23/14 06:52 PM Re: That last 10% [Re: gooddog]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

If you haven't done so yet, you might enter amateur competitions.
I am sure, by the end of your third competiton that last bit will drop to 5%.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2306116 - 07/23/14 07:02 PM Re: That last 10% [Re: Hakki]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Hakki
I am sure, by the end of your third competition that last bit will drop to 5%.
Ha Ha! That's both scary and encouraging. It's something I've been considering.

Deborah

#2306127 - 07/23/14 07:15 PM Re: That last 10% [Re: gooddog]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Hakki
I am sure, by the end of your third competition that last bit will drop to 5%.
Ha Ha! That's both scary and encouraging. It's something I've been considering.

Why not start with the Cliburn Video Contest?

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2306158 - 07/23/14 08:18 PM Re: That last 10% [Re: gooddog]
Michael Sayers Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms län, Sverige

Performers tend to show the widest range of colours and effects in front of a live audience. I don't know what Brendan's experience of it is, but in my experience the tremendous stress, risk and pressure make every moment extremely intense resulting in more strength and contrast of expression in the desire to transport the audience, and also in unrelenting stamina of concentration.

#2306163 - 07/23/14 08:30 PM Re: That last 10% [Re: gooddog]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Unfortunately, you are right. Besides all the technical things we need to do to make a performance special, we always have to consider available time, something many of us do not have. I find myself thinking, "Gee, if I could play this 500 times more, it would be perfect." That's tough to do with a full time job and only 1 to 2 hours of practice time a day.
It might be perfect in terms of what you want to do with the piece, but that doesn't mean it would necessarily even approach(it could be a lot more than 10% away from) a good professional performance.

The pro's musical understanding is in general eons beyond the amateur's understanding. See my earlier post showing how the best pianists giving master classes often show conservatory graduates (who themselves are light years beyond most amateurs)major musical misunderstandings in their playing.

Edited by pianoloverus (07/23/14 08:52 PM)

#2306169 - 07/23/14 08:48 PM Re: That last 10% [Re: pianoloverus]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Unfortunately, you are right. Besides all the technical things we need to do to make a performance special, we always have to consider available time, something many of us do not have. I find myself thinking, "Gee, if I could play this 500 times more, it would be perfect." That's tough to do with a full time job and only 1 to 2 hours of practice time a day.
It might be perfect in terms of what you want to do with the piece, but that doesn't mean it would necessarily even approach(it could be a lot more than 10% away from) a good professional performance.

The pro's musical understanding is in general eons beyond the amateur's understanding. See my earlier post showing how the best pianists giving master classes often show conservatory graduates (who themselves are light years beyond most amateurs)major musical misunderstandings in their playing.
Oh sure, I agree. The purpose of this thread is an attempt to find the tools to bridge that gap.

Deborah

#2306173 - 07/23/14 09:00 PM Re: That last 10% [Re: gooddog]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

Oh sure, I agree. The purpose of this thread is an attempt to find the tools to bridge that gap.
It's not one or ten tools. It's many years of studying with the best teachers and]then practicing the correct things for many hours. It's also natural talent for learning/understanding/figuring out musical and technical ideas quickly. It's being able to apply what a good teacher tells you about one piece to another piece.

#2306182 - 07/23/14 09:23 PM Re: That last 10% [Re: gooddog]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

For professionals and those preparing for the world stage, the live performance is where it's at - there're all the thrills (and spills grin) that are impossible to replicate on a home recording, or when playing for friends and family. (Not so sure about competitions, where you have judges to impress, which might just stifle your creative juices if you're wary of doing anything too wayward).

All that is assuming, of course, that you don't suffer from performance anxiety. Personally, I found my own route, by playing for non-musical audiences, when my nerves don't threaten to overwhelm me (which they would, if I knew there was someone - anyone - in the audience who knows the music well). There's definitely an extra edge, a frisson, to my playing then, and a spontaneity and even abandon, that's impossible to recreate at any other time: I want to show the audience what it is I love about the music, and why I love to play the piano, and to that end, risk-taking and 'rediscovery' comes to the fore.

BTW, to see (hear) what I mean, listen to Richter's Pictures via the link I put on the other thread, and compare that live performance - full of risk-taking, some of which barely come off - to his studio performance (which sounds earthbound in comparison) from around the same time, which you can also find on YouTube.

#2306491 - 07/24/14 02:23 PM Re: That last 10% [Re: gooddog]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

see below….a more concise version.

#2306513 - 07/24/14 02:54 PM Re: That last 10% [Re: gooddog]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Over the last several years, I've gotten most of my music only to that 90% level, but I've gotten two pieces (Chopin first Scherzo, Bach first Partita) a little bit further... let's say to 95% (whatever that means). The difference? Those were the pieces I kept working on a long time, far beyond the point where they started to feel good. And those were the pieces I performed several times for different groups of people.

So it takes time-- not just the number of hours spent practicing, but many months spent living with the piece after it's been "learned". And, as others have mentioned, it takes performing. That's what really cements the relationship.

-J

#2306525 - 07/24/14 03:10 PM Re: That last 10% [Re: gooddog]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The phases of successful performances:

1. Conquer the piece (really understand the piece inside out, and practice till everything feels easy)
2. Conquer the piano (get very comfortable with the piano that we are going to use on the stage)
3. Conquer the audience (able to express well in front of audiences obtained through years of experiences playing in front of live audiences)

Say, we (amateur pianists) have achieved 90% preparation on the piece.
90% comfort level with the piano on the stage, and 90% on the ability to perform well in front of audience. The result will be 90%x90%x90% = 72%.

Yet, professionals know the piece really well (maybe even 100%), they have the opportunity to practice on the piano that is on the stage before they perform (97%), and they had done public performance since they were little kids add a little nervous factor (95%). Therefore, their result is 100%x97%x95%=92%.

No wonder, we, real amateurs, cannot perform like them.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway officially relocates flagship store.
by Jonathan Baker
6 minutes 36 seconds ago
Advice please
by Ems' Mum
Today at 05:14 AM
Help identify the piano action
by Kumi_27
Today at 04:16 AM
OT New story, new thread?
by PhilipInChina
Today at 01:28 AM
Recording without a computer
by doremi
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Who's Online
123 registered (albumblatter, alberto, ando, 36251, AimeeO, 34 invisible), 1320 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76702 Members
42 Forums
158610 Topics
2329455 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission