Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
94 registered (Beemer, Anita Potter, bennevis, anotherscott, Ben Boule, ando, 30 invisible), 1406 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2305686 - 07/23/14 12:04 AM Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C
SpectrumMan Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
I am so excited. I finally rounded up enough money to install an LX player system on my Baldwin C. The piano has a Wapin bridge, Stanwood, and Ari Issacs hammers. It's Grandpiano Man that convinced me that it would be a rewarding venture. Needless to say, he's right. Here is a link to a recording I made of LX Live Earl Wild playing Chopin Ballade. Hope you enjoy it.

Earl Wild Play Chopin on LX system

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#2305690 - 07/23/14 12:34 AM Re: Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C [Re: SpectrumMan]
Grandpianoman Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Congratulations Michael! Just listened, sounds fantastic...sounds like Roy did a great installation job......lol...you're going to have to tune that piano a bit more often....concert level playing like that every day will do it. wink

Happy to have steered you in the direction of the LX.....it's the best at what it does. Art Tatum on the LX is something out of this world! Enjoy!!

#2306544 - 07/24/14 03:33 PM Re: Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C [Re: SpectrumMan]
SpectrumMan Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Thanks GP. I used Roy Peters equipment to record. The microphones were a RODE pair. They were sitting on a tripod about 4 feet to the back and center of the piano.

Below is a very interesting set of recordings. The first is a recording of my piano LX playback using the
Zenph reproduction. I placed the same microphones under the piano on top of a moving pad (just lay the tripod over). The idea was to get rid of any room sound.
Goldberg Variation 20 Zenph LX playback - Baldwin C Wapin

Next, I ripped the same track from the original 1955 recording of Glenn Gould.

1955 Glen Gould Goldberg Variation 20

Finally, I took one channel from the 1st recording and the other channel from the Glenn Gould recording so they play simultaneously together. It's truly amazing how accurate the Zenph Lx playback is compared with the original recording.

The best way to listen to this last file is to pan from left to right channels, back and forth to hear the difference. In case you get confused as to which is which, there is a small rest between the first have of the variation and the second half. If you're listening to the Glenn Gould you will be able to very clearly hear the reverb of recording studio.

Mix - my piano and Glenn Gould

I'm not sure but I believe this is not a copyright infringement because it is fair use. I might be wrong.

Edited by SpectrumMan (07/24/14 03:34 PM)

#2306583 - 07/24/14 04:19 PM Re: Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C [Re: SpectrumMan]
Grandpianoman Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Amazing! The recording sounds great. I recommended those mics and digital recorder to Roy. smile I could do that same setup for the LX, but not for the Ampico...too much mechanical noise from the Ampico mechanisim. frown

When Zenph first came on the scene, I emailied them...they sent me a demo CD with the same synchronization you just made. Uncanny is the word. I remember their telling me that it was extemely labor intensive to convert a sound recording to their finished product, hours and hours of detailed work. The fact that they only allowed the LX system to produce their producsts for playback, is a testament as to the quality of the LX system.

To hear Gould, Oscar Petereson, and Art Tatum on my piano is amazing. I hope they can somehow continue this, and revive other great pianists that are no longer with us.

Edited by Grandpianoman (07/24/14 04:22 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
100 years old and music keeps her active
by Rich Galassini
Today at 07:45 AM
At 100 years old, she says music keeps her well
by Rich Galassini
Today at 07:36 AM
Chopin waltz in E minor (Op. Posth.) or Op.70/1
by Works1
Today at 06:22 AM
Antique Piano
by NeoNeo78
Today at 03:29 AM
Hammer felt repairs. Advice Please
by Beachdingo
Today at 02:12 AM
Forum Stats
77013 Members
42 Forums
159287 Topics
2339876 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission