Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2306437 - 07/24/14 12:02 PM KAWAI CS7 + VST Instruments
mmerino Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions regarding the following decision I have to make:

I am about to buy a Kawai CS7 (tomorrow!). The two main reasons are because I like the keyboard feel and the piano looks great! (I was about to decide on the CS4 but the keyboard is ver different).

The sound of the piano is not important because I play with VST instruments through my PC, mainly piano VSTs (East West Quantum Leaps Pianos) but also stings, woodwind, choirs, etc. (East West Symphonic Orchestra, LA Scoring String, EW Symphonic Choirs, etc.).

I am aware that the CS7 is not the ideal piano for using with VST instruments and a computer, but I don't like other options such as the Kawai MP 11 because (a) It has no amplifier or loudspeakers (b) Pedals not fixed to the piano tend to move around and are uncomfortable to use (c) It doesn't look nice! (as a piece of furniture) (d) It's more unstable than a console piano(it doesn't have a solid furniture).

Basically, the only thing I miss on the CS7 is a jack imput for an expression pedal (there's none, nor any pedal can be used as an expression midi CC). I need the expression pedal to be able to edit the volume curves of the string parts.

I have checked online and in a couple of shops but it seems there doesn't exist a MIDI or USB expression pedal(surprisingly).

Any suggestions on how I can achieve this? Do you think the CS7 is the best choice for what I like/do?

Thanks very much for your help!

Miguel

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2306445 - 07/24/14 12:22 PM Re: KAWAI CS7 + VST Instruments [Re: mmerino]
Starboard Offline

Try searching for "MIDI foot controller" and I think you'll find some products in line with what you want. Something like Roland FC-300 or Behringer FCB1010 (and there are plenty more brands and models) could be placed near the CS7's pedals and connected to your PC through a MIDI interface or MIDI>USB adapter. I think you'd be able to do just what you want--and more--with any kind of decent foot controller.

#2306460 - 07/24/14 01:07 PM Re: KAWAI CS7 + VST Instruments [Re: mmerino]
mmerino Offline

Thanks Starboard! I will check those out. The midi interface I have is a Focusrite Saffire which has only 1 Midi input. How do you suggest I hook up the setup? (i.e. CS7 --> PC USB and Foot Controller --> Saffire's MIDI IN, or viceversa, using a MIDI to USB adapter as you suggest?).

Actually, since the CS7 can be connected to the computer either through MIDI or through USB, which is best/reccommended?

Thanks!

#2306495 - 07/24/14 02:28 PM Re: KAWAI CS7 + VST Instruments [Re: mmerino]
Starboard Offline

I don't think there's any quantifiable difference in latency between straight MIDI and MIDI-over-USB (as with the CS7's USB-to-host connection) outputs, so I'd go with whatever works with the inputs and outputs available. In your case, it sounds like connecting the CS7 by USB and the foot controller by MIDI via Focusrite adapter would be a perfectly fine setup.

#2306510 - 07/24/14 02:48 PM Re: KAWAI CS7 + VST Instruments [Re: Starboard]
mmerino Offline

Thanks! I have checked the Behringer FCB1010 web page: It seems to be what I'm looking for.

In the specs they mention:

#1 "...2 expression pedals with freely assignable MIDI channel, controller number and range..."

#2 "...2 programmable and relay-controlled switch jacks, e.g. to select channels on any guitar amp..."

Do you know how the connections are made in #1? In #2, what are the relay-controlled switch jacks for? (for guitar amplifiers?)

Thanks again for your help.

#2306631 - 07/24/14 05:43 PM Re: KAWAI CS7 + VST Instruments [Re: mmerino]
Starboard Offline

I don't have personal experience with the FCB1010 so I can't speak very knowledgably about it specifically--it was just high in the search rankings for MIDI foot controllers--but the manual linked on the product page seems pretty thorough. It shows how to configure the expression pedals (if that's what you meant by #1), and it does have some explanation for the switch jacks but I don't know enough about guitar amp signal/control chains to fully understand their usage. I don't think they would come into play with your setup, though.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Black Widow" - Iggy Azalea
by Zach Evans
09/16/14 02:13 PM
Advice Digital Piano < 800 GPB
by Altair
09/16/14 02:09 PM
MIDI to USB adapters?
by Mark NM
09/16/14 12:32 PM
Need help IDing grandfather's 1920s piano exam piece
by Valencia
09/16/14 11:42 AM
That awkward non-playing hand...
by TX-Bluebonnet
09/16/14 11:15 AM
Who's Online
155 registered (Altair, AEMontoya, 3mb3r4, accordeur, 255, 43 invisible), 1441 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76221 Members
42 Forums
157561 Topics
2314342 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission