Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2305990 - 07/23/14 02:21 PM Chopin: Mazurka in G-sharp minor, Op. 33 No. 1
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Learned this yesterday. It's not completely polished yet, but it's a rainy day here and I thought it would be a nice day to record. smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk_39jSkgS0&feature=youtu.be

#2306181 - 07/23/14 09:21 PM Re: Chopin: Mazurka in G-sharp minor, Op. 33 No. 1 [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I picked up that piece a few years ago...golly, it's already 10 years when I "needed" a piece to play as a sort of a 'prelude' to the Op. 49 Fantaisie, for the 1st round of an amateur competition. ("Needed" is in quotes because it turns out I didn't really; another person also played the Fantaisie, without anything else. Although of course she didn't make the next round and I did.) grin

I searched through all (ALL!) of Chopin's real short pieces (had to be 2 minutes or less), and decided that this mazurka, above absolutely all the others, was the best piece to couple with the Fantaisie, for a 15-minute program. And I think it is.

So, about your performance. First of all, you 'have the notes,' and you basically have the piece, which is darn good for just 1 day. smile
But, although it's not like you aren't putting "expression" into the piece, it seems to me like you haven't much thought about what the piece is -- what it's saying, what feeling(s) it's conveying.

I didn't really get any feeling of a "feeling" until the return of the opening theme. Before that, it sounded to me like you were basically just 'playing the notes,' occasionally doing a thingee or two that seemed like "a good thing to do" in a Chopin mazurka, kind of like how a chess player who is at a loss might make moves that in themselves follow good principles of chess playing but don't necessarily fit in with any larger plan. (BTW in chess that's usually not too bad! But in music, probably not so much.)

Like.....That opening is FULL OF "feeling." We could even say it's nothing but feeling. It's full of little figures and gestures that are utterances of a most poignant nature. Chopin is trying to "say something," perhaps sort of literally; isn't it almost as though these are verbal phrases, with unspoken/unknown WORDS? My goodness, these are utterances.

And then, when the second theme comes in -- and in the major.....what a DIFFERENT feeling that is. It's a world of a different collar. (Apologies to horses.) grin
But, I'm not hearing any different feeling or different world there. Are you? I don't think you're feeling or recognizing each section for what kind of thing it's saying, or that you're moving from one brief world suddenly to a very different kind of one (and back again).

Aren't you glad you asked.... grin
I hope this is interesting and useful for you. smile

#2306185 - 07/23/14 09:26 PM Re: Chopin: Mazurka in G-sharp minor, Op. 33 No. 1 [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

That was an interesting read! Good information, but I have a bit of trouble putting it to practical use. What I hear in my head sounds basically just like how I played it, only slightly better. (give me a couple days grin)

Not really sure how changing it would make it 'speak' any differently. And I certainly feel like it would be forced and unnatural.

Nevertheless, I will try it out tomorrow and see what happens. You're basically saying to distinguish the sections more?

#2306199 - 07/23/14 09:58 PM Re: Chopin: Mazurka in G-sharp minor, Op. 33 No. 1 [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: JoelW
....You're basically saying to distinguish the sections more?

Sort of, but really more than that: Decide what you think is the basic "feeling" of each section, and try to convey those feelings in how you play the sections.

#2306327 - 07/24/14 08:06 AM Re: Chopin: Mazurka in G-sharp minor, Op. 33 No. 1 [Re: JoelW]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Almost every phrase can be shaped much better. And there are some notes that stick in both the left and right hand as much too loud. Listen to some performances by great pianists to see how much can be done with the piece.

Also what Mark said.

#2306416 - 07/24/14 11:09 AM Re: Chopin: Mazurka in G-sharp minor, Op. 33 No. 1 [Re: pianoloverus]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Almost every phrase can be shaped much better.

I can't take a criticism like this seriously.

Quote:

And there are some notes that stick in both the left and right hand as much too loud.

Please be specific.

#2306723 - 07/24/14 09:47 PM Re: Chopin: Mazurka in G-sharp minor, Op. 33 No. 1 [Re: JoelW]
neuralfirings Offline

JoelW, here's a question for you. What are you trying to say with this piece? How do you want to make us (your listeners) feel?

I find that oftentimes I have a specific interpretation and the artist has another. Then me giving critiques based on my interpretation is oftentimes not helpful, unless I'm commenting specifically on technique which you seem to have covered. smile

#2306804 - 07/25/14 03:12 AM Re: Chopin: Mazurka in G-sharp minor, Op. 33 No. 1 [Re: JoelW]
noobpianist90 Offline

Loc: India
I liked it. I look forward to listening to the recording of the polished piece.

#2308595 - 07/29/14 04:32 PM Re: Chopin: Mazurka in G-sharp minor, Op. 33 No. 1 [Re: JoelW]
danielcarr Offline

Loc: Seattle
Definitely a good start. Would like to get more of a dance-like feel. The true "mazurka" accent on 3rd beat feel. And perhaps a bit less pedaling. Has some nice phrasing and impressive to hear after only 1 day of working on it. Looking forward to hearing next version.

Thanks for posting

Dan
http://danielcarrcomposer.com/

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha U3
by RGibson
09/16/14 06:58 AM
VPC1 Order Cancelled
by EmptySpace
09/16/14 06:16 AM
Baroque Pitch - The Well-Tempered Clavier
by Badinage
09/16/14 02:25 AM
Need Leutke Leipzig info
by Gardenergirl
09/16/14 12:26 AM
Best digital approximation
by TEHunter1
09/15/14 11:49 PM
Who's Online
88 registered (36251, Al LaPorte, anotherscott, Badinage, 28 invisible), 1033 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76209 Members
42 Forums
157556 Topics
2314233 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission