Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2306125 - 07/23/14 07:13 PM Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig?
Tony Romo Offline

Here is an incomplete list of pop and classical songs I am considering doing for an upcoming gig. I am mostly playing for an older audience.

Please add to it, I am in need of some suggestions!!!

You can suggest popular classical songs too!!

Chariots of Fire
Linus and Lucy
Memories
Liebestraume
Flight of the Bumblebee
Phantom of the Opera

Edited by Tony Romo (07/23/14 07:13 PM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2306132 - 07/23/14 07:30 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Tony Romo]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Fur elise and Fantasy impromptu are really good songs.

Polyphonist

#2306135 - 07/23/14 07:34 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Tony Romo]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Tony -

What pop and classical pieces do you already have in your repertoire?

#2306164 - 07/23/14 08:31 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Tony Romo]
joonsang Offline

If your aim for "popular" is "people who might have heard piano before":

Chopin Nocturne 9/2
Debussy Clair de Lune
Bach Prelude in C

maybe even Chopin etude 10/12

but yeah, whatever is already in your repertoire is your best bet.

youcould also play etude 10/1, that'll dazzle them!

#2306514 - 07/24/14 02:56 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Polyphonist]
Tony Romo Offline

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

Yes to Fantasy Impromptu.

Think that Fur Elise might be too cliched at this point.

#2306516 - 07/24/14 02:56 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: carey]
Tony Romo Offline

Originally Posted By: carey
Tony -

What pop and classical pieces do you already have in your repertoire?

I listed them at the beginning of this post.

#2306517 - 07/24/14 02:57 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: joonsang]
Tony Romo Offline

Originally Posted By: joonsang
If your aim for "popular" is "people who might have heard piano before":

Chopin Nocturne 9/2
Debussy Clair de Lune
Bach Prelude in C

maybe even Chopin etude 10/12

but yeah, whatever is already in your repertoire is your best bet.

youcould also play etude 10/1, that'll dazzle them!

Good suggestion on Clair De Lune. Perhaps the Chopin Nocturnes as well.

What about pop songs? Is there something obvious I'm overlooking?

People like show tunes and all kinds of famous pop songs, but I'm not really hip anymore smile

#2306526 - 07/24/14 03:10 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Polyphonist]
Art_Vandelay Offline

Loc: Stillwater, OK

LOL. Don't forget Claire de Lune, might as well get that song out of the way.

Edit: Damn, not quick enough.

Edited by Art_Vandelay (07/24/14 03:11 PM)

"If life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life'll be all like whaaaaaat?" - Phil Dunphy

#2306542 - 07/24/14 03:32 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Tony Romo]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

I'd think that pop songs that use the piano are the best ones to transfer to solo piano (I assume you aren't singing too wink ).

The ones I play for friends who don't dig classical are Bridge Over Troubled Water, Imagine, Candle in the Wind and Your Song.

As for classical, don't forget Chopin waltzes (Op.64/2, Op.70/2, Op.69/2 are the easier slower ones) and mazurkas (Op.7/1, Op.30/3, Op.59/2). And Brahms waltzes (Op.39/2 & 15).

#2306576 - 07/24/14 04:14 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Tony Romo]
phantomFive Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Dvorak Humoresque, most people in an older generation might even know alternate words to that one

Of the same style might consider Stephen Foster Beautiful Dreamer.

#2306577 - 07/24/14 04:15 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: phantomFive]
phantomFive Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: phantomFive
Dvorak Humoresque, most people in an older generation might even know alternate words to that one

(Here's a little known fact: the subject of Dvorak Humoresque involves death)

#2306590 - 07/24/14 04:30 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: phantomFive]
Tony Romo Offline

(Here's a little known fact: the subject of Dvorak Humoresque involves death)

Thats appropriate, because by the time I'm done playing it, everyone has fallen asleep or died smile

#2306594 - 07/24/14 04:31 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: bennevis]
Tony Romo Offline

Originally Posted By: bennevis
I'd think that pop songs that use the piano are the best ones to transfer to solo piano (I assume you aren't singing too wink ).

The ones I play for friends who don't dig classical are Bridge Over Troubled Water, Imagine, Candle in the Wind and Your Song.

Interesting suggestions, thank you!

Keep them coming, I need as much material as possible, I have to play for about 20 hours.

#2306598 - 07/24/14 04:36 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Tony Romo]
Atrys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Just improv for a lot of it; that should burn up some good time.
"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson

#2306600 - 07/24/14 04:39 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Tony Romo]
phantomFive Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tony Romo

Interesting suggestions, thank you!

Keep them coming, I need as much material as possible, I have to play for about 20 hours.

Oh wow. Dan Coates has several volumes of music that are fairly good.

#2306607 - 07/24/14 04:53 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Tony Romo]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I have to play for about 20 hours.

shocked And I thought my upcoming 4 hour gig was long!

Cathy

#2306611 - 07/24/14 04:57 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Tony Romo]
5000 Post Club Member

Nobody mentioned Joplin rags yet?

There're enough there to last two hours (especially if you take all repeats wink ).

Everyone loves The Entertainer and Maple Leaf Rag, but Solace, Bethena and Elite Syncopations are all good too.

And, if you're good at arranging, Piazzolla or other people's tangos will get your listeners up on their feet grin. Especially Libertango. Failing that, settle for Albéniz's Tango, nice & easy.

Grieg's Lyric Pieces (e.g. Erotik wink ) and Mendelssohn's Songs without Words (e.g. Op.19/1, Spring Song), and Fauré's equivalent Romance sans paroles Op.17/3 will all get your elderly audience nostalgic over the good old days.....

#2306635 - 07/24/14 05:55 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Tony Romo]
Art_Vandelay Offline

Fantasie Impromptu is just as clichéd. It's just that fewer people are capable of playing it.

"If life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life'll be all like whaaaaaat?" - Phil Dunphy

#2306638 - 07/24/14 05:59 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Tony Romo]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I'd think that pop songs that use the piano are the best ones to transfer to solo piano (I assume you aren't singing too wink ). The ones I play for friends who don't dig classical are Bridge Over Troubled Water, Imagine, Candle in the Wind and Your Song.
Interesting suggestions, thank you! Keep them coming, I need as much material as possible, I have to play for about 20 hours.
20 hours? You're kidding - right?? What kind of gig is this??

Also - exactly how OLD is this "older audience." grin

#2306653 - 07/24/14 06:27 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: carey]
Michael Sayers Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms län, Sverige
Originally Posted By: carey
I'd think that pop songs that use the piano are the best ones to transfer to solo piano (I assume you aren't singing too wink ). The ones I play for friends who don't dig classical are Bridge Over Troubled Water, Imagine, Candle in the Wind and Your Song.
Interesting suggestions, thank you! Keep them coming, I need as much material as possible, I have to play for about 20 hours.
20 hours? You're kidding - right?? What kind of gig is this??

Also - exactly how OLD is this "older audience." grin

Tony, you can play Satie's "Vexations" and fill up nearly ten hours with it, maybe more if the tempo is reduced. It is only one page of music, the challenge is not to lose count of the repetitions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gImDzmNuEDA

#2306660 - 07/24/14 06:56 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Tony Romo]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
People like show tunes and all kinds of famous pop songs, but I'm not really hip anymore smile
Depending on how old your "older" audience is, they mightn't be hip any more either.
haha laugh
Aim for 2 hours worth of repertoire and play it all 10 times. No-one who is still awake will notice. You probably won't even notice...

#2306670 - 07/24/14 07:10 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Tony Romo]
5000 Post Club Member

Though I'm loathe to suggest him, Einaudi could come in handy here - easy to sight-read, easy to play, easy on the ear, somnolence-inducing........ thumb

#2306683 - 07/24/14 07:42 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Tony Romo]
WinsomeAllegretto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

If you're looking for some quasi-classical pieces, Mannheim Steamroller has some nice, easy piano music that I play a lot when I have to do background music. Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9zhME0Qrek

#2306700 - 07/24/14 08:22 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Tony Romo]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Apparently the sarcasm was missed.

Polyphonist

#2306704 - 07/24/14 08:32 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Tony Romo]
briansaddleback Offline

Loc: Irvine CA
For older folks I've been asked a few times to play Blue River. I dont know how to play it but they keep asking for it. The crowd is in their 80s and 90s.
They are easy to play for. I would just get a good 2 hours repertoire and repeat it. As long as theyre good pieces, the older crowd doesnt mind hearing them again if you can play them well.
They didnt mind I played Clair de Lune three times in a row.

Cloches a travers les feuilles
Minstrels

#2306707 - 07/24/14 08:34 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: briansaddleback]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: briansaddleback

Transition smoothly and they probably won't even realize you played it more than once.

Polyphonist

#2306710 - 07/24/14 08:46 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Polyphonist]
Goomer Piles Offline

Apparently the sarcasm was missed.

By the target of your 'joke', sure. Wasn't it your intention to snicker at somebody's ignorance behind his back?

At least the sarcasm wasn't missed by this guy:

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

LOL. Don't forget Claire de Lune, might as well get that song out of the way.

Edit: Damn, not quick enough.

AND this in a nutshell is typical of what makes this forum the snotty place that it is.

#2306726 - 07/24/14 09:51 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Tony Romo]
Art_Vandelay Offline

@Goomer Piles: According to the OP he can play Liebestraum (I assume no. 3), yet he somehow hasn't grown out of calling classical pieces "songs." That combined with the claim of playing a 20 hour gig just screams troll to me.

#2306734 - 07/24/14 10:46 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: briansaddleback]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

For older folks I've been asked a few times to play Blue River. I dont know how to play it but they keep asking for it. The crowd is in their 80s and 90s.
They are easy to play for. I would just get a good 2 hours repertoire and repeat it. As long as theyre good pieces, the older crowd doesnt mind hearing them again if you can play them well. They didnt mind I played Clair de Lune three times in a row.

Actually - the piece they're requesting is "Moon River" (from the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's") and you can download the sheet music (various arrangements) on the internet. Even not so ancient folks in their 60's and 70's like Moon River. grin

#2306737 - 07/24/14 10:49 PM Re: Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig? [Re: Polyphonist]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Transition smoothly and they probably won't even realize you played it more than once.
Transition too smoothly and you'll probably put them to sleep.

Edited by carey (07/24/14 10:50 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Marche Funèbre d'une Marionette
by Minnesota Marty
09/21/14 10:09 AM
Tired and groggy
by PhilipInChina
09/21/14 08:26 AM
Digital piano key noise
by bigsmile
09/21/14 03:15 AM
Hans von Bulow's piano
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:57 AM
Rubinstein teaching style
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:52 AM
Who's Online
121 registered (255, 36251, aesop, 35 invisible), 1210 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157665 Topics
2315833 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission