Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2305662 - 07/22/14 10:32 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
doctor S Offline

Loc: Western PA
Answering my own question, Soundcloud has a Download button (just downloaded Hreichgott's Rachmaninoff)...is that OK?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2305671 - 07/22/14 10:59 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: doctor S]
hreichgott Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Soundcloud will work. The download button is something you as the uploader have to enable. I don't think it's on by default.

Polyphonist, are you volunteering to convert youtube to mp3? hats off, if so.

Submissions can be pm'd to me. Or there is a gmail that I created in order to make the soundcloud account, pwconcertprogram@gmail.com. You can email files there.
Loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
Always a fan of Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2305672 - 07/22/14 11:05 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: hreichgott
Polyphonist, are you volunteering to convert youtube to mp3? hats off, if so.

No, my contributions will be in mp3 format already - I was just pointing out that to convert is possible.

Polyphonist

#2306175 - 07/23/14 09:07 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I've sent in my recordings.

Polyphonist

#2306215 - 07/23/14 11:05 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
1000 Post Club Member

I also have submissions in from doctor s and Tim Adrianson!

#2306218 - 07/23/14 11:07 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Good - only five to go, and the recital will be airing on Friday, if I'm correct.

Polyphonist

#2306235 - 07/23/14 11:52 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
I'm trying to record the Rachmaninoff. I wish I could splice sections together!

#2306244 - 07/24/14 12:17 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Vid]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Vid

It wouldn't be as good as it will be hearing it done straight through, 'mistakes' and all! smile

A continuous performance tells a story. A splice tells.....a splice.

#2306248 - 07/24/14 12:47 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Good point - its done, after listening I feel it needs to go faster. Oh well. crazy

#2306299 - 07/24/14 05:24 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Mark_C]
MikeN Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Originally Posted By: Vid

It wouldn't be as good as it will be hearing it done straight through, 'mistakes' and all! smile

A continuous performance tells a story. A splice tells.....a splice.

Well, there will almost definitely be some cut and pasting to fix mistakes in my recordings.

Edited by MikeN (07/24/14 05:24 AM)

#2306444 - 07/24/14 12:20 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The deadline has passed! Have all the recordings been submitted?

Polyphonist

#2306463 - 07/24/14 01:18 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
1000 Post Club Member

I've received recordings from Vid and Polyphonist.

We still need recordings from Pover, FSO, MikeN and ec.
I don't mind if people take a few more hours to get them to me, but I am planning to put the concert together tonight, and I really hope to have all the materials by then.

Edited by hreichgott (07/24/14 01:21 PM)

#2306667 - 07/24/14 07:05 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
MikeN Offline
500 Post Club Member

Don't worry about receiving any material from me. I'm withdrawing.

#2306697 - 07/24/14 08:17 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

In every recital, there will be a hit-and-run poster like this one who claims space in the recital and then weasels out at the last minute. And half of the participants are now eight hours late in submitting recordings for a recital in which they had two months to prepare. Disappointing.

Polyphonist

#2306725 - 07/24/14 09:49 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
1000 Post Club Member

FSO's recordings are in.
ec has had to withdraw due to an ironic lack of piano access at piano camp.
No word from Pover yet.

#2306727 - 07/24/14 09:51 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: MikeN]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MikeN
Don't worry about receiving any material from me. I'm withdrawing.

Oh, too bad MikeN. Will miss hearing you.

#2306728 - 07/24/14 09:57 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I'm surprised that you seem to think the last-minute dropouts acceptable; also, you are under no obligation to delay the recital due to late submissions. Compile it tonight, and whoever has missed the deadline will need to post their performances separately.

Polyphonist

#2306739 - 07/24/14 10:52 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
In every recital, there will be a hit-and-run poster like this one who claims space in the recital and then weasels out at the last minute. And half of the participants are now eight hours late in submitting recordings for a recital in which they had two months to prepare. Disappointing.

C'mon, have a heart!

Look: They hoped, and they tried. You want people not to hope, or try? Not everybody can necessarily learn or play like you do!!

#2306740 - 07/24/14 10:54 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

C'mon, have a heart!

Look: They hoped, and they tried. You want people not to hope, or try? Not everybody can necessarily learn or play like you do!!

They should know what they can do, and be sure that they will be able to meet any deadline which they have committed to meet. To enter a recital like this on a whim and then back out is an immature thing to do, and rude to the organizer of the recital.

Polyphonist

#2306745 - 07/24/14 11:04 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Polyphonist]
1000 Post Club Member

I'm surprised that you seem to think the last-minute dropouts acceptable

Well it's not like I can come over to their houses and demand that they play the piano smile And life happens, and this isn't a paid gig or anything; it is a for-fun project. We don't always know the reasons for everything nor can we blame people. who would have thought ec wouldn't be able to get to a piano today? and Pover lives in Jordan which is near two civil wars at the moment?

It's disappointing for sure, and I feel badly for those who didn't get to play because a spot was taken by someone who then ended up not playing at the last minute. I hope that next time performers will be more realistic about what they can play and record in the time available. Especially since there was so much choice in what to perform.

Edited by hreichgott (07/24/14 11:10 PM)

#2306747 - 07/24/14 11:08 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
1000 Post Club Member

(Uh, the program order might have to be changed a teeny bit to allow for the missing pieces. I'm looking at possibly leading off with the Inventions so as to still have Bach at the beginning.)

#2306750 - 07/24/14 11:12 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Polyphonist]
MikeN Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm surprised that you seem to think the last-minute dropouts acceptable; also, you are under no obligation to delay the recital due to late submissions. Compile it tonight, and whoever has missed the deadline will need to post their performances separately.

I assume you expect for the highest penalty to be give which is...exactly what now? Really, what exactly can be done to one who is volunteering their time and energy to learn music who suddenly decides to withdraw to avoid substandard results, and the lowering of the overall standard of the recital.

#2306758 - 07/24/14 11:38 PM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Mark_C Online   content

....It's disappointing for sure, and I feel badly for those who didn't get to play because a spot was taken by someone who then ended up not playing at the last minute. I hope that next time performers will be more realistic about what they can play and record in the time available. Especially since there was so much choice in what to perform.

Heather, I think even that sounds too severe. (Not as bad as Poly's stuff though.) grin

I would beware of putting out any vibes that would make people fearful about coming into these things -- especially since you're just getting the thing established. I'm sure that everyone who volunteered really had thought about it pretty seriously and had serious intentions -- but y'know, sometimes we just misjudge, and sometimes stuff happens. I'd encourage you (and Poly, and everyone) to go easy on it. The disappointment and inconvenience of a couple of withdrawals is nothing compared to the goodness of just having these things, and I think the harsh and judgmental stuff could jeopardize it. You've done great in putting this thing out there and getting it together like you did. It doesn't have to be exactly as planned in order to be great. smile

#2306786 - 07/25/14 01:44 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Mark_C]
Cinnamonbear Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
I'm looking forward to listening to what's offered.

The Internet is a big place. Life is messy. Therefore, the Internet is a big, messy place. That's a syllogism, right?

I think it is worth noting that e-citals are still a fairly "new" thing in Pianist Corner. Anyone care to count how many Pianist Corner e-citals there have been so far? (Hint: not many.) And, as MarkC just said about vibes, I think it is also worth noting that the Pianist Corner vibe is often not very welcoming; rather, it is often contentious. Why is that, do you suppose? So, I would re-iterate that the least restrictive environment is a good place to start when planning and soliciting participation, and if one needs to control the show, go solo in Member's Recordings and/or WordPress. I'm sure all who offered to participate did so with the best of intentions and high hopes for their performances. Sometimes, things just don't turn out, though, and the artist should always be in control of the release of his/her art. Naive sentiment, huh?

I have often wondered why Pianist Corner is such an intimidating place. I mean, personally, I'm not intimidated by it, but I know a lot of people who are, or who are turned off by the vibe. It's kind of sad. frown Just sayin'.

Heather, I'd encourage you to take your time in working with what you have to make something of the vision with which you started. I'm sure you'll make a fine presentation of it! thumb

--Andy

#2306801 - 07/25/14 02:57 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Pover Offline

Loc: Jordan
Everyone, I have an apology to make...

I am very very very sorry for not being able to participate! Everything was going according to plan, but then an unexpected trip came along. I had to visit a couple of places (outside the country) in order to get in touch with the hospital leading staff because I will have to work in hospitals in 3 years. So I had to go to different countries and either volunteer there or go to the hospital's associated university there.

I am EXTREMELY sorry for messing this up and not being here on time, but I just returned yesterday night and didn't have time to actually finish up frown I'm very sorry and hopefully I won't let anyone down next time.

Poly, I understand your frustration, and you have the right to be, to be honest. But I hope that you and others will not get an impression of me from this experience, as hard as that may be. Heather and others, thanks for being considerate and compassionate. Hopefully next time I'll have things ready much in advance in case something like this happens.

Again, I'm sorry, please accept this apology eek

Working on:
Schumann arabeske op. 18
Bach French Suite 5
Mozart Sonata k 311 D major

#2306805 - 07/25/14 03:26 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Pover]
Mark_C Online   content

Pover -- I'm sure they'll appreciate what you've said, but I feel bad for you that you feel so bad about it. I would hope that people will feel free to volunteer for these recitals without having to worry about feeling so terribly guilty if it doesn't work out as planned.

#2306870 - 07/25/14 09:18 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Pover]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pover
Everyone, I have an apology to make...

I am very very very sorry for not being able to participate! Everything was going according to plan, but then an unexpected trip came along. I had to visit a couple of places (outside the country) in order to get in touch with the hospital leading staff because I will have to work in hospitals in 3 years. So I had to go to different countries and either volunteer there or go to the hospital's associated university there.

I am EXTREMELY sorry for messing this up and not being here on time, but I just returned yesterday night and didn't have time to actually finish up frown I'm very sorry and hopefully I won't let anyone down next time.

Poly, I understand your frustration, and you have the right to be, to be honest. But I hope that you and others will not get an impression of me from this experience, as hard as that may be. Heather and others, thanks for being considerate and compassionate. Hopefully next time I'll have things ready much in advance in case something like this happens.

Again, I'm sorry, please accept this apology eek

Hi Pover, glad you are well and just busy.
I still hope to hear you play that suite, maybe would you consider submitting it to member recordings?

#2306875 - 07/25/14 09:25 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: Mark_C]
1000 Post Club Member

....It's disappointing for sure, and I feel badly for those who didn't get to play because a spot was taken by someone who then ended up not playing at the last minute. I hope that next time performers will be more realistic about what they can play and record in the time available. Especially since there was so much choice in what to perform.

Heather, I think even that sounds too severe. (Not as bad as Poly's stuff though.) grin

I would beware of putting out any vibes that would make people fearful about coming into these things -- especially since you're just getting the thing established. I'm sure that everyone who volunteered really had thought about it pretty seriously and had serious intentions -- but y'know, sometimes we just misjudge, and sometimes stuff happens. I'd encourage you (and Poly, and everyone) to go easy on it. The disappointment and inconvenience of a couple of withdrawals is nothing compared to the goodness of just having these things, and I think the harsh and judgmental stuff could jeopardize it. You've done great in putting this thing out there and getting it together like you did. It doesn't have to be exactly as planned in order to be great. smile

That's fair. I was a bit frustrated at the time. And I think Polyphonist may have thought we were only going to have 50% participation (since only 50% of the people had recordings in by the posted deadline).

It's shaping up to be a good program, just over an hour, which is still not too shabby for a hobby project! The overall feel is pretty mellow, with a couple of high energy pieces spicing things up, and the counterpoint focus does work well. There is some really beautiful playing too, both of complex and of simple pieces.

#2306922 - 07/25/14 10:43 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
1000 Post Club Member

I'm listening to the program straight through right now. Marvelous work, everyone. This is a treat. Barring any technical difficulties with soundcloud, it will be posted in an hour and 20 minutes smile

#2306929 - 07/25/14 10:55 AM Re: July Concert Program - Signup and Planning Thread [Re: hreichgott]
Tim Adrianson Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Morning, Heather! I'm looking forward to hearing this program later today, and your revisions in presentation. I thought you had a perfect right to your frustration, briefly put. But then, Pover's post reminds me that there can be situations that simply override the personal commitments that one had made -- as MarkC had cautioned. In general terms, I think the "e-cital" is a good idea, and I for one would hate to see it jettisoned by capricious last-minute withdrawals -- particularly so, when a couple of other pianists willing to participate were told to wait for the next event. Polyphonist's comments may have been harsh, but they were IMO spot-on accurate.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
10/25/14 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
10/25/14 08:34 PM
how best to match natural mahogany on plain wood case parts
by msks
10/25/14 08:26 PM
Heading to the junk pile...
by Emmery
10/25/14 07:39 PM
Piano make
by ali123
10/25/14 06:24 PM
Who's Online
119 registered (Almaviva, alans, anotherscott, anamnesis, 34 invisible), 1271 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76656 Members
42 Forums
158497 Topics
2327649 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission