2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by A443
Yamaha bought the Bösendorfer company a few years ago, and then moved everything/everyone out of the old factory in the city [where they had been for c.130 years]; they are now doing the entire production in a city about 30mins away from Vienna. Artists used to have a much stronger connection/influence on the piano production and routinely visited the factory--since it was right there where they were coming to perform; this doesn't happen as much anymore since the factory is so far away from the action.

This has, indeed, interfered with the culture and connection between artists and piano-builders/concert-technicians. cry cursing

Thanks for this information A443. As an admirer of Bösendorfer pianos I'm glad that production continues, and I do hope that Yamaha fully understands that they have to care for the unique tradition of this company.

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by A443
Originally Posted by BrianDX
NP. Just be be clear, they "own" Bosendorfer but don't "interfere" with their operations I believe...
Yamaha bought the Bösendorfer company a few years ago, and then moved everything/everyone out of the old factory in the city [where they had been for c.130 years]; they are now doing the entire production in a city about 30mins away from Vienna. Artists used to have a much stronger connection/influence on the piano production and routinely visited the factory--since it was right there where they were coming to perform; this doesn't happen as much anymore since the factory is so far away from the action.

This is not at all my understanding, but I'm checking the facts and will post again when I have them.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen

The main issue is that virtually no dealer in the U.S. carries the C1X in stock.

What makes you say that?

That was an exact quote from my dealer, as originally we went into the store hoping to buy a C1X.

Although it's annoying that either he was exaggerating (or worse) in the long run we are very happy with the C2X and would make the same choice again if we had to.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Joe Ravita
We stock the C1,2 3 and 7 silent in the CX series. The C1X has sold well beyond our projections and is second to C3X sales. I attribute this to this piano performing well beyond its size having some very good players with size issues in townhomes and condos. In the previous C series we generally sold C1 on special order only but noticed a significant difference in the CX version.

Interesting, and not at all what I was told by my dealer.

I am glad to hear the entire CX series is selling well though. Curious as to how the C2X sells in relation to the other smaller sizes?

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
This is not at all my understanding, but I'm checking the facts and will post again when I have them.
The factory is already gone; I watched it come down myself. The pianos are now 100% made in the suburb of Wiener Neustadt. With the train/bus connects, it would take visiting artists c.hour to get there from the city.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
O Great Ice Princess - Hast thyne own piano risen to the heights of the sampled digital?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Reminds me of a line from the Honeymooners...

Ed Norton: "Boy, these flowers had me fooled. They're real! I mean it, they're almost as good as the artificial ones."

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Bösendorfer's production now is in Wiener Neustadt (south of Vienna), a Bösendorfer piano salon remains in the Musikverein Building in central Vienna, see http://www.boesendorfer.com/en/company.html

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Personally, I have always felt a sense of loss since Steinway moved from 85 Varick Street to the entire block at Park and 53rd Street in Manhattan. Then, to add further insult to injury, there came that whole folly in Astoria, Queens.

Just like Steinway, Bösendorfer has no hope of survival in a new factory.

Marty in Minnesota

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Personally, I have always felt a sense of loss since Steinway moved from 85 Varick Street to the entire block at Park and 53rd Street in Manhattan. Then, to add further insult to injury, there came that whole folly in Astoria, Queens.

In 1870?

Poetry is rhythm

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Indeed - Those changes "interfered with the culture and connection between artists and piano-builders/concert-technicians."

(My cheek is starting to ache from my firmly implanted tongue.)

Marty in Minnesota

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Indeed - Those changes "interfered with the culture and connection between artists and piano-builders/concert-technicians."

(My cheek is starting to ache from my firmly implanted tongue.)

hehehe

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
I do feel that something was lost when the Steinway family gave up control of the company, though.

Poetry is rhythm
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Biasa199,
Do you prefer the CX1, (C1X?), you played to any digital piano?

Of course.

Yamaha had it listed as the C1X.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/grandpianos/gp-cx/c1x/?mode=model

S
S
Originally Posted by phantomFive
I do feel that something was lost when the Steinway family gave up control of the company, though.

What was lost?

www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Maryland/DC/No. VA

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P

What was lost?

Motivated leadership that cares about pianos. Similar thing happened to IBM after Tom Watson Jr left.

Poetry is rhythm
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Well, Marty, it may be that you are not accustomed to urban life in a European city such as Vienna.
grin

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by maurus
Well, Marty, it may be that you are not accustomed to urban life in a European city such as Vienna.
grin

Well lets see. I would have a lovely lunch at Restaurant Anna Sacher with dessert, of course. Then I might amble over to the Bösendorfer Salon at the Wiener Musikverein to get my fingers limbered up and test the latest in the showroom. Next I would meet some friends from the Academy and have some coffee before we head to the Staatsoper for the event of the day. Ending the evening might necessitate a late supper at Fabios.

Gee, I just don't feel any need to travel to Wiener Neustadt for artistic camaraderie at the Bösendorfer Fabrik.

Yes I know, I'm missing the "culture and connection between artists and piano-builders/concert-technicians." I live a life of desolation and depravity.

Again, I weep.

Marty in Minnesota

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
We literally have thousands of professional pianists in the city of Vienna at any given time. Professional/performing pianists in the city would routinely visit the Graf Starhemberggasse factory to play on the concert fleet and meet/work with the piano-builder/concert technicians for their upcoming concerts/recordings. Every pianist had "their" concert technician that they trusted and ones they didn't like so much, and it was more of a working-friendship that often culminated in lunch and/or coffee. This happened, because there was a convenient and comfortable place for everyone to come together.

Minnesota Marty, you are being disrespectful/dismissive of a longstanding musical cultural tradition that you were never part of--you obviously don't care, but you are neither a professional pianist nor concert technician living/working in the city. <---to those people, it was a loss that was not insignificant.

The Bösendorfer Salon the Anna Sacher Restaurant, BTW, are for tourists, or perhaps: international, non-german speaking, students. Foreigners, the world over, are sadly: all alike. laugh

S
S

What was lost?

Motivated leadership that cares about pianos. Similar thing happened to IBM after Tom Watson Jr left.

I disagree. there has been a significant number of improvements since the sale. Today's NY Steinway is a better piano that those made in the 60s-70s and 80s. For example:

Piano Buyer Review

www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Maryland/DC/No. VA

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission