Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2284514 - 06/02/14 08:49 AM My first public composition - In need for comments
Wulfric Offline

Loc: Finland
Hello everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the very best place to place this thread, as what I've looked, everyone else linking their notes or music videos here are real pros, and I'm just a complite amateur and composing for fun. But, perhaps you won't slaughter me smile

I am a self-taught amateur pianist and recently I have started to compose. I have already composed several pieces of music, but I have yet gathered courage for only one public composition, which you can find here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGmo5QvLZvU. Recording was made with Yamaha Clavinova CLP-430's inmade recording feature. I would love to have comments about the music, about the picture, left or right hand or about everything, actually.

Oh, and I do know that my left hand didn't always quite match with the right one, especially in the end. For some reason my hands were out of sync that day. I also have a problem with my touch, as I play some keys too strong. But both of the problems will disappear only by playing more. I should record it again some day.

As it seems quite weird to create a whole thread for just one piece of music, I encourage you all new to composing to publish your first creation of the most beautiful art, music, here! I would love to hear them!

Thank you for reading, and perhaps even for listening!
-Wulfric

PS. Sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker!

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2284581 - 06/02/14 11:51 AM Re: My first public composition - In need for comments [Re: Wulfric]
Ritzycat Offline

Thanks for posting your piece! Glad you came to the Composers' Forum!

Keep in mind all of my following comments should be taken with a grain of salt - I'm not really a good composer, I started a few years ago but I know next to nothing about all the specifics of piano music theory. And another thing, I am unable to play anything I compose... so I am impressed that you played your piece for us.

Anyway, the melody seems original to me. Do not think I have heard it before. It is fairly monotonous though. It doesn't seem to deviate much. Were you afraid to experiment or was it just a lack of ideas? Whatever the reason, some listeners may find it boring after a while. I do like the divergence at 3:30 ish I think it is. I think if you extended that a bit and added some more interesting stuff in there, that could make it a bit more exciting.

May I ask the inspiration behind the name? I know "La Vie" means Life, but was there a motivation towards naming it that, or was it more of a compulsive name? (I never know what to name my songs so I often throw words at them, nothing against you :P)

I encourage you to post more, this is a good place to post your songs. Most people here are welcoming to others and post meaningful advice on your contributions. Good luck!

#2284679 - 06/02/14 03:07 PM Re: My first public composition - In need for comments [Re: Ritzycat]
Wulfric Offline

Thank you for commenting smile

It doesn't matter at all if you're not a good composer as I don't know anyone to whom I could play my compositions, so any kind of comment is always useful smile

Well, now that I think, many of my pieces are quite monotonous, but I believe it's mostly because of the influence of Ludovico Einaudi. His songs are more colourful than mine, naturally, but most of them won't deviate much, and I have listened Einaudi a lot, about three years now, almost nonstop. It's just hard to deviate when you want to create solid feeling, or thought, with what I mean the piece. Though, I do have some compositions with more divergence, just right now they are under construction. I do also have pieces with more monotonousness wink

About the name, that's more difficult to answer. I love different languages, partly because here in Finland they are highly valued, and that's why I decided to name my pieces with various european languages. Then I found the picture I took in Paris and got an idea of naming it in french. "Life" itself came perhaps partly from thought that life is beautiful matter, but one day it will end, so life is in a way sad thing too. Other reason could be that I wanted to give a allusion to Einaudi's piece, "Life". It's hard to say.

Thank you for your time smile

#2306985 - 07/25/14 01:28 PM Re: My first public composition - In need for comments [Re: Wulfric]
Wulfric Offline

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This is punny
by Tango Vic
10/19/14 11:58 PM
A brisk Fall day, a room to myself, and a large piano.
by TwoSnowflakes
10/19/14 08:07 PM
Mixer for live-use
by Auver
10/19/14 06:24 PM
Question on Kawai CA65 functions
by ColinDS
10/19/14 04:30 PM
40 year old self-taught in love with Bach - What to do?
by pinkfloydhomer
10/19/14 04:23 PM
Who's Online
75 registered (barbaram, Al LaPorte, ando, bennevis, 20 invisible), 1171 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76591 Members
42 Forums
158373 Topics
2325591 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission