Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
154 registered (accordeur, allakart, 36251, ajames, 41 invisible), 1728 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2307241 - 07/26/14 03:18 AM Advice for learning composition and arrangement
ttttcrngyblflpp Offline

I am pretty much a complete beginner to composing and arranging, and would like some advice from the experienced here. As far as my backgrounds go, I know a reasonable amount of theory (for the Australians here, I've done AMEB's Grade 5 theory exam), but not nearly enough to accomplish my goal that is most simply stated as `I want to compose music like Chopin's etudes'. I like that Chopin etudes are short, fun to play as well as fun to listen to, which is sort of my dream combination I guess.

As to arranging: I play a lot of transcriptions of anime music (another word for J-Pop I guess) by this guy on YouTube. Here's an example for those interested (http://youtu.be/D5kyjnlDNZs?list=UUyW-leqPXUunrXXxFjpZ7VA). I've tried my hands on transcribing/arranging things myself, and I feel like anything that I write myself sounds awkward and/or bad.

So I'm looking for advice on how I should go about achieving my objectives. I'm not too confident in analyzing Chopin's compositions as I fear I might get things wrong, but there also don't seem to be many resources out there that go into the heavy amount of detail that I think I require. Are there any good books/websites/other resources on teaching composition? I feel like learning about harmony and counterpoint is probably more useful than melody writing since arrangement doesn't require such a skill, am I correct on this? Should I consider taking theory/composition lessons? I've had piano lessons since forever so I know what they are all about, but how do one-on-one composition lessons even work?

Edited by ttttcrngyblflpp (07/26/14 04:14 AM)

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2307394 - 07/26/14 03:01 PM Re: Advice for learning composition and arrangement [Re: ttttcrngyblflpp]
SunnyFriday Offline

Originally Posted By: ttttcrngyblflpp
Should I consider taking theory/composition lessons?

Yes.

And as an experienced listener I think the importance of melody cannot be overstated.

I have three classical-based composition books:
1) Counterpoint, and How To Use It In Your Music (John Collins)
2) Music Composition I (Jonathon E. Peters)
3) Modulation (Max Reger)

The counterpoint book is very good in my opinion. I have just started the Peters. Both books have lots of exercises and assignments. The Reger book is an interesting reference. The disadvantage to the book approach, is of course, a lack of feed back. For this reason I urge you to enroll in a formal composition study course, or at least find a teacher willing to tutor you.

#2308092 - 07/28/14 10:40 AM Re: Advice for learning composition and arrangement [Re: ttttcrngyblflpp]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
In addition to what SunnyFriday posted I'd add that the mission of any composer is to be able to create music in your head and dictate it onto paper. For that purpose ear training is crucial. I know nothing of AMEB Grade 5, so let me ask does that include any solfegge or rhythm exercises? Can you identify intervals? Do you know about secondary dominants, Neopolitan sixths as well as augmented and diminished chords?

I'm not trying to scare you, because you don't need to know all that to get started. As a composer I almost always have something going in my head. If you do too then write some of it down. That's the nuts and bolts of composing. A composition lesson means you've written something and you're asking somebody who presumably knows about composing for their opinion. I wrote a choral piece and I took a lesson from someone who's a published composer and we went through it bar by bar and I got a number of useful suggestions and comments. This is weak because XYZ, or a dominant seventh chord sounds kinda boring here, can you come up with something better?

There's the old adage, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?, practice man, practice!" Writing music is practicing the art of composition. Teachers can teach tools, techniques and ideas, but you teach yourself composition.

#2308379 - 07/29/14 04:36 AM Re: Advice for learning composition and arrangement [Re: ttttcrngyblflpp]
doubtlessbay Offline

Get some notation software and work on it for half an hour each day. Incorporate new concepts based on ideas you get from lessons and listening to other music. Take your work to a teacher if you find one and see what they think.

Have a look online for free tools and resources, as well. I recently found www.audiotool.com, which can create some interesting sounds. If you have an Apple or Android device there are lots of interesting music apps as well.

Theory will help you no end and is vitally important, but it is not the same as composition.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Other Yamaha DGx 640/650 owners here ?
by vbdx66
11/25/14 06:19 PM
Going from ETD to aural - only octaves, only bass
by pinkfloydhomer
11/25/14 05:28 PM
The less I practice, the better I get :-)
by Mark_C
11/25/14 04:49 PM
Reasons behind notes as letters rather than numbers?
by TowardsTheEdge
11/25/14 04:31 PM
collard & collard
by Bob Newbie
11/25/14 03:39 PM
Forum Stats
77041 Members
42 Forums
159350 Topics
2340754 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission