Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
131 registered (ando, angga888, accordeur, 39 invisible), 1635 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2307702 - 07/27/14 10:21 AM Digital piano/keyboard with lighter keys?
Gabriellaa Offline

Hello, I am looking for a digital piano with semi-weighted keys... I already have one with fully weighted, but I find my hands get tired really fast due to them being ''heavy''... My hands are probably a bit on the weak side too...

Anyone have any expieriences with the DGX digital pianos/keyboards?

Any recommandtions? smile

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2307746 - 07/27/14 11:30 AM Re: Digital piano/keyboard with lighter keys? [Re: Gabriellaa]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Gabriellaa,
If your hands are getting really tired very quickly, you're probably playing with a lot of unnecessary tension. Do you have a teacher? A good teacher should be able to show you how to play so that you keep your hands relaxed. Also, while some people play this way, I don't think it's a very good practice to just flex your fingers to play the keys. You can use gravity to help you play the keys with much less effort. It's hard to describe accurately, but think of raising (arching) your wrist and letting it fall. You want the muscles in your finger working just enough to prevent your fingers from collapsing and use the weight of your arm and hand to help you play with less effort. Again, a good teacher can show you how to do this. smile

Regardless, the most important thing is to play in a relaxed fashion. When you play, a note in a song, do your other fingers rise up? Does your elbow wing out to the side? does your shoulder tense or raise itself up? Are you holding your breath? These are all signs of unnecessary tension. When you practice, go very very slowly and look for signs of tension. keep focusing on relaxation until you can play in a relaxed fashion.

Anyway, I didn't really answer your question about semi weighted keyboards, but it may be that with better technique you will find that you don't need one. smile

#2307755 - 07/27/14 11:47 AM Re: Digital piano/keyboard with lighter keys? [Re: Gabriellaa]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I think peterws has a DGX and gets on fine with the GHS action. Be careful though the GHS may be lighter in a traditional hammer sense, but I think it pushes back on the fingers with a spring like feel. Maybe not so good for you after all, so try one for more than just 5 minutes in a store.

#2307768 - 07/27/14 12:14 PM Re: Digital piano/keyboard with lighter keys? [Re: fizikisto]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Originally Posted By: fizikisto
Gabriellaa,
If your hands are getting really tired very quickly, you're probably playing with a lot of unnecessary tension. Do you have a teacher? A good teacher should be able to show you how to play so that you keep your hands relaxed. Also, while some people play this way, I don't think it's a very good practice to just flex your fingers to play the keys. You can use gravity to help you play the keys with much less effort. It's hard to describe accurately, but think of raising (arching) your wrist and letting it fall. You want the muscles in your finger working just enough to prevent your fingers from collapsing and use the weight of your arm and hand to help you play with less effort. Again, a good teacher can show you how to do this. smile

Regardless, the most important thing is to play in a relaxed fashion. When you play, a note in a song, do your other fingers rise up? Does your elbow wing out to the side? does your shoulder tense or raise itself up? Are you holding your breath? These are all signs of unnecessary tension. When you practice, go very very slowly and look for signs of tension. keep focusing on relaxation until you can play in a relaxed fashion.

Anyway, I didn't really answer your question about semi weighted keyboards, but it may be that with better technique you will find that you don't need one. smile

This ^ is the best advice. Unless you are playing a digital piano which is too heavy, it is your technique which is fatiguing and may cause pain or even do damage.

However, some of the cheaper digital pianos from lesser known brands have very heavy keyboards. Perhaps some of those are too heavy. Which digital piano are you playing on?

Edited by toddy (07/27/14 12:15 PM)

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2307778 - 07/27/14 12:48 PM Re: Digital piano/keyboard with lighter keys? [Re: Gabriellaa]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
The DGX-650 has a "weighted hammer action" -- the GHS action, same as the Yamaha P105 and several other Yamaha's. It's lighter than many other DP's, but it's still trying to emulate an acoustic piano.

Quote:
. . . You want the muscles in your finger working just enough to prevent your fingers from collapsing and use the weight of your arm and hand to help you play with less effort. Again, a good teacher can show you how to do this.

And without a good teacher, it's difficult to learn.

I'm inclined to agree with the previous posts:

. . . The problem is probably with your technique, not with your keyboard.

But some questions:

. . . What keyboard are you playing now?

. . . What kind of music?

. . . How long can you play, before "tiredness" starts?

. . . Are you just getting tired, or is something hurting?

This topic comes up here, and in the "Adult Beginner" forum. You might check old threads there.

. Charles

#2307780 - 07/27/14 12:54 PM Re: Digital piano/keyboard with lighter keys? [Re: toddy]
Gabriellaa Offline

Thanks. smile

The digital piano I have is Yamaha P105...
I don't really like it to be honest... Doesnt quite feel good to play on..

#2307782 - 07/27/14 12:55 PM Re: Digital piano/keyboard with lighter keys? [Re: Gabriellaa]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Gabriellaa
Hello, I am looking for a digital piano with semi-weighted keys... I already have one with fully weighted, but I find my hands get tired really fast due to them being ''heavy''
Anyone have any expieriences with the DGX digital pianos/keyboards?

Not all "fully" weighted actions are equally heavy. You might really be looking for a lighter fully weighted action, as opposed to a semi-weighted action. Semi-weighted doesn't really mean less weight per se, what it really means is that there is no mechanism emulating the feel of a hammer.

To better answer your questions, it would be good for us to know which fully weighted DP are you now playing, and which DGX models you are looking at (since different DGX models have different actions).

#2307787 - 07/27/14 01:14 PM Re: Digital piano/keyboard with lighter keys? [Re: Gabriellaa]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Your piano, P105, has a GHS keyboard in it, which is weighted, somewhat like an acoustic piano, but it's not one of the better keyboards. However, this is a matter of personal preference - some people get on with GHS very well, others make do, while some hate it.

I don't think that's the cause of your fatigue, though smile You would not want a piano practice keyboard lighter than that, I don't think. But eventually, you'd do well to trade up to a better DP from Yamaha, Kawai, Roland or Casio. All of them produce good keyboards, Casio being the most affordable. The other three make excellent keyboards, IMO, but you have to pay over double the price of a P105.

But I'd stick with the P105 for now, and get someone to coach you in the correct technique - preferably a piano teacher.

#2307793 - 07/27/14 01:37 PM Re: Digital piano/keyboard with lighter keys? [Re: toddy]
Gabriellaa Offline

Thank you. smile

I tried one of the cheaper Casio digital pianos, and I really liked the feel of it, however I personally thought P105 sounded better..

But I thought a keyboard would be nice to have just to play around with... Is DGX 305 an alright keyboard?
It has some educational programmes, which kind of interested me since Im still a beginner.. smile

#2307810 - 07/27/14 02:26 PM Re: Digital piano/keyboard with lighter keys? [Re: Gabriellaa]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Well the DGX-305 seems to have an ordinary spring key action, not a hammer action keyboard like a piano. It would not be suitable for learning piano on, I don't think - your P105 is better.

If possible, when you play, use the weight in your forearm (and eventually, the whole arm & shoulders) to press down the keys. When you change from one key to the next, think of it as walking, skipping or running - you shift the weight from one finger to another in the way you walk, but the finger only has to make minimal effort.

#2307867 - 07/27/14 04:58 PM Re: Digital piano/keyboard with lighter keys? [Re: Gabriellaa]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Something else (besides Toddy's good thoughts):

. . . Are you using headphones?

. . . If not, where is the "volume" control set on the P105?

Check the "Adult Beginner" forum for a recent discussion on volume-setting levels.

Some people run into a problem:

. . . they set the volume control low,

. . . and then they have to pound the keyboard to get decent sound out of it.

If your volume control (on the P105) is set to less than 3/4 of "full volume", that might be what's happening. Try setting it all the way up, and see if it's easier to play.

Also, check the "Touch" setting (I think the P105 has one). See if changing it to "light touch" (probably number 1 -- read the manual) helps you.

. Charles

#2307888 - 07/27/14 05:59 PM Re: Digital piano/keyboard with lighter keys? [Re: Gabriellaa]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Originally Posted By: Gabriellaa
Thanks. smile

The digital piano I have is Yamaha P105...
I don't really like it to be honest... Doesnt quite feel good to play on..

The DGX 650 will have the same keyboard feel to your P105 I imagine. There`s not many lighter piano type keyboards around; I would concur with others suggestions concerning technique.

Best wishes!

""

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Keyboard for $500 - and software to help learn?
by Freebird308
11/23/14 09:35 PM
my struggle to learn pop piano
by carojm36
11/23/14 08:51 PM
Compare Steinway, Estonia & Shigeru Kawai
by Nxwang
11/23/14 07:20 PM
Do you ask Santa for piano music?
by Stubbie
11/23/14 07:16 PM
Brahms Sonatas, Op 120 (clarinet/viola & piano): Editions?
by DaveInJapan
11/23/14 07:03 PM
Forum Stats
77023 Members
42 Forums
159304 Topics
2340112 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission