2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
Originally Posted by slipperykeys
I still believe a separate stand is the best option for a slab.

Agree! That's all I was trying to say but just got a little more passionate about in my post wink
The whole point of me entering this debate is "optional." My point has always been that R makes decisions contrary to their market.

R already makes a rest for FP series, so is engineering a few posts at back of RD so bad? Geez.

Of course it's not a deal breaker for such a great DP (RD800,) and this discussion is not intended on swaying future sales.

Last edited by 36251; 07/27/14 12:54 PM.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Slipperykeys,
Having used the nord music rest, I'm in disagreement with you. Because i've seen that they can be extremely well made, and they are incredibly useful and convenient when they are. I think having the option of a music rest that fits on the piano directly hurts nobody. Nobody is going to go, "Oh, I really wanted that piano, but damn it why did they have to include an option for a music rest!?" The only possible issue that I see is cost, and it shouldn't really impact the cost of the instrument if they sell it as an optional extra a la Nord. And of course if you preferred a different kind of music rest nothing would stop you from getting that either.

Now, I will say there is only one thing I don't like about the nord music rest. You can't fit the freakin' dust cover over the instrument with the music rest attached. So I have to remove the music rest every time I want to put it on. If I ever date a girl who can sew, I may ask her to cut the dust cover to fit for me. Alas, that seems to be a lost art these days. smile

Warm Regards.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
In general, though of COARSE a piano or keyboard should have a stand, whether for professional, teacher or student, concerts or practice. Nearly everyone is going to need a stand from time to time for notes, set lists, song schemes, sheet music or their own notation.

I think when I did gigs, these things were taped to the side of the rig or just on the floor.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by fizikisto
If I ever date a girl who can sew, I may ask her to cut the dust cover to fit for me.

I would love to see you put that line in your Match.com profile!

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
If I ever date a girl who can sew, I may ask her to cut the dust cover to fit for me. Alas, that seems to be a lost art these days.

What a delightful domestic cameo you paint here! But I'm keen to understand what prevents you from sewing it yourself?

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Marko
LOL. That's a pretty funny idea.

Toddy
I was actually just being tongue in cheek, but to answer your question I lack the skill and would prefer not to ruin my nice nord dust cover making the attempt. smile

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Yes, quite so. (I was was joking too, btw smile )

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by slipperykeys
If anybody uses music stands like I do, stacking one book on top of the other until it is all unmanageable, some feeble clips on the back would actually be useless. I agree it seems wrong for Roland not to include them, although I still bought the thing because I just loved it. But when I picked up a substantial, height adjustable, with music clips stand for £12.99 and simply stood it behind the piano and adjusted height and angle to my liking, I did come round to it a bit. If the music is at the height of the piano it needs considerable angling back to read. V Piano is great, just stick the music on top, like I did with my old RD 300s. But a V Piano is very expensive compared to an RD 700 and music rest. Having seen the rests on other pianos, I still believe a separate stand is the best option for a slab.

Hear, hear! (Or here, here! grin)

My annoyance with R (other letters deleted, to avoid naming names, guilty or otherwise) only lasted about.....2 minutes: the time it took me to set up the Stagg music stand. Then I realised that for the first time in the history of my piano playing (a history so long that I dare not mention its length), I could now read two voluminous scores simultaneously - one on its intended place on the music rest, the other on top of the slab. So, I can easily play a piano concerto from the two-piano reduction while taking a peek at the full orchestral score every now and then to see what was left out, and decide whether to incorporate it.

Or even (attempt to) play a piece from memory, but with the score on the rest just in case, while reading a trashy novel at the same time, to see if distractions can throw me off......... wink

If music be the food of love, play on!
B
B
Now, I will say there is only one thing I don't like about the nord music rest. You can't fit the freakin' dust cover over the instrument with the music rest attached. So I have to remove the music rest every time I want to put it on.

...Yet another reason for going with a free-standing or frame mounted music stand.
I have no trouble fitting a custom made dust cover over my RD, as the stand is not attached to keyboard, but the frame instead.

I personally don't think that Roland should go down the attachable stand route, as it's likely to either be inexpensive and inadequate, or too expensive (like the Nord), putting buyers off.

Like bennevis said, only a free-standing or frame mounted music stands are up to the job.

No keyboard mounted stand I've ever come across would accommodate a full show score, and a clamp-on light that's required for pit work.

Roland RD-800, RD-700, SRX-02, SRX-04, SRX-07, SRX-11, EV-5
S
S
This is a sort of religious issue, apparently. Fine. I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. Hence, my suggestion that offering a music rest in the form of a standardized, extra-cost accessory would be a profitable way to address the issue.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by bgiles
I personally don't think that Roland should go down the attachable stand route, as it's likely to either be inexpensive and inadequate, or too expensive (like the Nord), putting buyers off.

These arguments don't hold if it's an accessory you buy separately, unless you mean that all music stands on DPs are either "inexpensive and inadequate, or too expensive"...(so no DP should have one...)

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by slowtraveler
This is a sort of religious issue, apparently. Fine. I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. Hence, my suggestion that offering a music rest in the form of a standardized, extra-cost accessory would be a profitable way to address the issue.

+1

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Gee people!?
You haven't realized?
Roland expects you to use a blonde to hold your music.
She can help you carry things also.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
B
B
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
These arguments don't hold if it's an accessory you buy separately, unless you mean that all music stands on DPs are either "inexpensive and inadequate, or too expensive"...(so no DP should have one...)

Digitalguy, the opinion I express is only a personal one, and I may well be in the minority.

Experience has told me that only music rests that are diagonally braced, like on most home DP's, or mounted from the centre, like a free-standing one, are able to support a decent amount of music required for a show or gig (and a light if needed).

If Roland offer a music rest option, it won't be diagonally braced, and likely to be either;

-- A 'cost-concious' one, which is wire framed, and can barely support a thin music book, or

-- A more substantial one like the Nord, which I'm sure is still prone to 'wobble', and with the +$100 price tag quoted elsewhere in this thread, the money would be better spent on a quality free standing music stand, or as I have done, a keyboard stand with 2nd tier arms that provide the music rest.

Does anyone honestly have an 'attachable' music rest that is stable with a large score on it, and can annotate onto it?

Likewise, I can't understand why users spend +$2,000 on a 'flagship' stage piano, and then put it on a wobbly 'X' stand, which has no leg room if sitting down.

Many of us have learnt on a 'real piano' where unstable keyboards or music rests don't exist, surely with a stage piano we want to replicate this!

Roland RD-800, RD-700, SRX-02, SRX-04, SRX-07, SRX-11, EV-5
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by slowtraveler

Stealing part of that for my signature line. Ok?

Jay

Industry Consultant
S
S
Originally Posted by Jay Roland
Stealing part of that for my signature line. Ok?

thumb

G
G
If it's for playing in a fixed location - this company offers a wall mount music stand which might be excellent for practice. I'm currently searching the web to see if an "offset" music stand exists. If it doesn't it should, and that would allow for the music stand to be brought forward over the piano to the optimal position....

http://www.manhasset-specialty.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=3

G
G
This might work, with a small mic stand, or music stand base and pole... not too pricey.

http://www.gearnuts.com/store/detail/KM11520BK

G
G
Though I haven't found "exactly" what I was thinking of as an "offset" stand, this one might almost work... almost. wink

http://www.amazon.com/Performance-P...;ie=UTF8&qid=1406577136&sr=1-416

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by bgiles
Originally Posted by Digitalguy

Digitalguy, the opinion I express is only a personal one, and I may well be in the minority.

Experience has told me that only music rests that are diagonally braced, like on most home DP's, or mounted from the centre, like a free-standing one, are able to support a decent amount of music required for a show or gig (and a light if needed).

If Roland offer a music rest option, it won't be diagonally braced, and likely to be either;

-- A 'cost-concious' one, which is wire framed, and can barely support a thin music book, or

-- A more substantial one like the Nord, which I'm sure is still prone to 'wobble', and with the +$100 price tag quoted elsewhere in this thread, the money would be better spent on a quality free standing music stand, or as I have done, a keyboard stand with 2nd tier arms that provide the music rest.

Does anyone honestly have an 'attachable' music rest that is stable with a large score on it, and can annotate onto it?

Likewise, I can't understand why users spend +$2,000 on a 'flagship' stage piano, and then put it on a wobbly 'X' stand, which has no leg room if sitting down.

Many of us have learnt on a 'real piano' where unstable keyboards or music rests don't exist, surely with a stage piano we want to replicate this!

Sorry for not replying earlier, I was away. I see your point, but I think that not everyone needs a music rest like that or to annotate on it. Many people (like me) use an ipad for most of their partitions (I will soon be moving to surface pro 3, that offers a bigger screen, similar to an A4 sheet). Also the product you mentioned earlier is not available everywhere (not in my country at least). A what about the wooden rest in the picture, did you make it yourself or you bought it (not sure I understood how you got it)? What's more, many people already have a keyboard stand (or even several) and don't want to buy a special one just for that (speaking of "cost conscious" people). And, above all, nobody prevents you from using the solutions you mentioned, as long as the normal music rest is a separate accessory. So I still don't see how giving this option could be something negative or something Roland should not do....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission