Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2307881 - 07/27/14 05:43 PM Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on?
Alex1 Offline

Loc: New York
Right now I'm learning piano using a 61-key Yamaha keyboard. The keys are lightweight and offer little resistance, however, it's the right size, weight, and price for my current limitations.

Can I continue to use this for the first six months or so of my piano education, or will this cause problems when I transition to a proper piano or keyboard with weighted keys?

http://smile.amazon.com/Yamaha-PSR-E443-...words=yamaha+61

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2307886 - 07/27/14 05:51 PM Re: Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on? [Re: Alex1]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
You would not be the first to start your journey with a keyboard.

#2307954 - 07/27/14 10:38 PM Re: Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on? [Re: Alex1]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
It will be different but not something you cannot overcome in a short time.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2307983 - 07/28/14 01:09 AM Re: Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on? [Re: Alex1]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
No problem at all provided that once in a while you also get a little time on a real piano or even a weighted, velocity sensitive keyboard. Maybe a school, church, or some other place....?

When you move up to a good instrument, a little time on the old unweighted one now and then can help you build versatility. I have one, and it reveals places where I'm getting sloppy and putting pressure on keys that aren't supposed to be played.

The thing that will cause you some temporary trouble is having only one instrument for a long time. You get accustomed to its action only, and any other instrument will be very difficult to adapt to at first. But in a month or two you can get past that.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2307987 - 07/28/14 01:28 AM Re: Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on? [Re: JohnSprung]
briansaddleback Offline

Loc: Irvine CA
Originally Posted By: JohnSprung

When you move up to a good instrument, a little time on the old unweighted one now and then can help you build versatility. I have one, and it reveals places where I'm getting sloppy and putting pressure on keys that aren't supposed to be played.

Real good advice here. Never thought of this.

Cloches a travers les feuilles
Minstrels

#2308024 - 07/28/14 06:20 AM Re: Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on? [Re: Alex1]
Greg Lloyd Offline

Don't worry about keyboard vs piano at the moment. At the early stages its more about the learning how to read music, rhythms and the general co ordination between brain and figures in both hands.

Later when you get better a piano would be ideal. It will feel a little weird at first but it will not take long to adjust to the piano as all your foundations will be there.

Keep playing smile

Greg

#2308070 - 07/28/14 09:08 AM Re: Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on? [Re: Alex1]
Purkoy Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Alex1
Right now I'm learning piano using a 61-key Yamaha keyboard. The keys are lightweight and offer little resistance, however, it's the right size, weight, and price for my current limitations.

Can I continue to use this for the first six months or so of my piano education, or will this cause problems when I transition to a proper piano or keyboard with weighted keys?

This is exactly how I started, so my experience might be of interest in a small way.

I started with a Yamaha E333 61-key electronic keyboard. I'd never played a piano in my life before (that's not exaggeration), until I was 62. It took me many months of constant practice, on my own, to get to the stage where I could play simple pieces (one note on each hand, no chords), and I loved it. It taught me perseverance, still the most valuable lesson I have learned. I assumed that the transfer to a 'proper' keyboard would be uneventful and without difficulty, since my fingers would 'know' where to go, no matter what the keyboard (as long as the black keys weren't painted on, of course).

Then came the stage where I knew I needed a teacher, so I found one, and happily, I hit 'gold' first time. In my first session with her, she sat me down at a full-sized keyboard (a Clavinova, which she uses to 'transition' students brought up on small keyboard to prepare them for the grand), and asked me to play a piece I knew well, just by way of assessing where I was. So I began to play a little minuet by Rameau, which I'd been practising for months, and could play with my eyes close (literally).

Within five seconds, everything fell over. My fingers forgot where to go, and it took me three or four restarts to get through it to the end. I was completely unprepared for the effect of the difference in 'tactile feedback' and the big difference in apparent effort required to make a note sound. I knew then that I'd have to move up to something nearer a full-sized and more realistically 'weighted' keyboard. Within a fortnight, I had tried out several models, and my then budget settled on a DGX640 Yamaha, and the E333 was given to a friend. (I've since added a Clavinova CLP470, with an acoustic now in the plans.)

However, it didn't take long to get adjusted ; one of my first lessons, after all, had been the value of perseverance, so I knew not to be discouraged, and after a couple of months on the Clavinova, she put me on to the Steinway for my now weekly lessons.

I don't regret a second of the time I spent with the little Yamaha keyboard. I learned a lot with it, had a great deal of joy from it, it helped with my sight-reading, and it made me realise that this was what I wanted to do. It gave me a leg up to a pastime I can't get enough of, at an age way beyond what I thought would ever be possible.

#2308073 - 07/28/14 09:23 AM Re: Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on? [Re: Alex1]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
While it is not ideal, I have worked with students who start out on a non-weighted keyboard. I highly recommend you upgrade as soon as possible. You say 6 months, and I think that's the maximum you should go. There's no set rule, but as you progress you will be asked to do things that you cannot accomplish easily (or at all) on unweighted keys. This leads to frustration and to quitting, so keep that in mind.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2308078 - 07/28/14 09:38 AM Re: Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on? [Re: Alex1]
noobpianist90 Offline

Loc: India
I started on a Yamaha PSR-350, used it for many years and got a Casio PX-150 last year. It was a comfortable change for me.

#2308279 - 07/28/14 07:40 PM Re: Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on? [Re: Alex1]
Alex1 Offline

Loc: New York
Thank you all. I'm glad to hear this.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
Today at 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
Today at 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Yesterday at 07:58 PM
Who's Online
62 registered (András Lieber, angga888, barbaram, 13 invisible), 1024 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158395 Topics
2325945 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission