2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tony007 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
A very early piece by Claude Debussy, published in 1890, maybe composed even earlier?

http://youtu.be/sl8Ki6_gh48

Looking forward to your feedback smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Tony007, this is one of my favourite Debussy works, as you play it very well done and musically expressive. A lot of pianists incline toward a more languorous tempo (myself included) but it is nice to here it here as more of a tempo di valse - some of it makes more sense at the faster tempo, I might need to revise some of my ideas on how to interpret the piece. Thanks for sharing it here.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, Tony! As usual, a solid presentation -- I did some sense of "fresh paint"; i.e, I got the impression that you were navigating your way from progression to progression -- but the navigation was expertly handled. I believe there is more of a ballet element to this Valse than what you projected, but, like you, I lean in on the dance quality rather than the romantic quality. It reminds me, in fact, of Debussy's "Danse", written in roughly the same time period.

Debussy's development as a composer has always especially fascinated me. All the way up to his mid to late 30's, his piano music could legitimately be characterized as late 19th century salon music, grouped with Massenet, Godard, Delibes, and Chaminade, et al -- music that now feels dated, and isn't much played. It wasn't until he was around 40 or so that he "suddenly" began composing truly revolutionary works on many levels, and for which he is justly remembered today. Offhand, I would say that opera "Pelleas and Melisande" is the bridge (perhaps "Afternoon of a Faun"), but the musical language, gesturing, risk-taking is SO much more pronounced than in these early works.

T
Tony007 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Michael Sayers
Hi Tony007, this is one of my favourite Debussy works, as you play it very well done and musically expressive. A lot of pianists incline toward a more languorous tempo (myself included) but it is nice to here it here as more of a tempo di valse - some of it makes more sense at the faster tempo, I might need to revise some of my ideas on how to interpret the piece. Thanks for sharing it here.

Hi Michael Sayers, I'm glad you like my approach to this early Debussy! The question of the right tempo is a very interesting one, indeed, and you are right: many pianists tend to play this piece much slower. The slowest vesion I've ever found is this one, by Claudio Arrau:

http://youtu.be/lbO9b4A0pno

He often plays much slower than other pianists, but as always, it makes sense what he does, don't you agree? I think there is never the "right tempo" for everybody, but all of us have to find the tempo which corresponds to our individual vision of a certain piece.

Last edited by Tony007; 07/21/14 06:49 AM.
T
Tony007 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
Hi, Tony! As usual, a solid presentation -- I did some sense of "fresh paint"; i.e, I got the impression that you were navigating your way from progression to progression -- but the navigation was expertly handled. I believe there is more of a ballet element to this Valse than what you projected, but, like you, I lean in on the dance quality rather than the romantic quality. It reminds me, in fact, of Debussy's "Danse", written in roughly the same time period.

Debussy's development as a composer has always especially fascinated me. All the way up to his mid to late 30's, his piano music could legitimately be characterized as late 19th century salon music, grouped with Massenet, Godard, Delibes, and Chaminade, et al -- music that now feels dated, and isn't much played. It wasn't until he was around 40 or so that he "suddenly" began composing truly revolutionary works on many levels, and for which he is justly remembered today. Offhand, I would say that opera "Pelleas and Melisande" is the bridge (perhaps "Afternoon of a Faun"), but the musical language, gesturing, risk-taking is SO much more pronounced than in these early works.

Hi Tim Adrianson, thanks a lot for your interesting and benevolent comment to my recording! Yes, Debussy needed a long time to find the language which made him one of the greatest composers ever, and these early (but actually not so early) pieces wouldn't be outstanding enough to justify a particular interest in him . But for me it is always a deeply fascinating and touching experience to discover where people started, what they did before writing the ingenious masterworks for which they are venerated nowadays. Of course Beethoven, Mozart or Mendelssohn didn't wait so long until they began writing such masterworks, Mozart for example had already completed many of his best works when he was 28 ( the age Debussy had when publishing his "Valse romantique").

Last edited by Tony007; 07/21/14 07:09 AM.
D
D
Wonderful playing. Clear, clean pedaling. Nice "pearly" tone in middle section. Definitely show this as early Debussy -- with hints of Impressioism to come. Also like left hand-playing around 3:06. Looking forward to hearing more of your playing.

Thanks,
Dan
http://danielcarrcomposer.com/

T
Tony007 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi Dan,

thanks a lot for your benevolent words! Yes, it is fascinating to explore the early works of a composer, to discover the "seeds" of later masterworks, isn't it?

Best regards

Felix (Tony007)

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission