2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 10 invisible), 1,872 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
S
S
I think what Roland means by Supernatural is striking a key hard and striking it soft yield different sounds. It reflects the natural characteristic of a string. Try to hit a guitar string with different strength, you will see the difference.

That was one of the things I was missing with my old Yamaha P155. With Roland, when I hear that metallic clang when hitting key's harder, it does add to the emotional content of what I'm playing.

Roland F-130R
Formerly: Yamaha P-155 | Casio CDP-120 | Yamaha P-105 | Williams Allegro (had it for two weeks)
@Sushi

Is the 'musicstand' usable on the F-130R ??
I see some pictures on the net of a small ridge with an Ipad on.

But I wonder if it will hold an musicbook.
Since it misses these little 'clamps' to hold the book from folding shut.

10.000 clowns on a rainy day
S
S
I am back to update. I have tested display units. Unfortunately, they have the same 'knocking' sound. Roland technician explained that the way I tested is not how people actually play piano. But I responded that the sound has been bugging me. That being the case, they offer me for an upgrade. What model should I be looking at? Anybody has a recommendation?? Jay?

S
S
I think the music stand is useable. But certainly don't see the clips...but then I again I haven't looked. I primarily use an iPad up there.

Roland F-130R
Formerly: Yamaha P-155 | Casio CDP-120 | Yamaha P-105 | Williams Allegro (had it for two weeks)
S
S
Interesting. I saw you YouTube video and I definitely don't hear a sound that is as loud as it comes across in the video. Of course, it could be that what I consider to be a normal sound, sounds louder on the video because of...well it's a recording.

Another way to for you to test is see if your piano guy has a Yamha p155. Now that, in my opinion is LOUD. Compare it to that.

Roland F-130R
S
S
Thanks. To be frank, I just took up piano. So, I didn't know that it is normal. But given the chance to upgrade, what would you recommend? I tested Roland DP90s (PHA III Action) and quite satisfied with it but it is too expensive. I don't know whether the cheaper DP90 (Ivory S) will be the same.

M
M
I also didn't hear that particular knocking sound when I played it. It's a really weird sound to be coming out of a DP.

As far as the music stand clips -- I wouldn't expect to see those on a DP. They're not even on most acoustic pianos. No matter what piano I'm playing, I get all my piano books comb bound so they sit flat. (Comb binding seems stronger and easier to turn than spiral. The ones I got spiral bound had some pages fall out and were hard to turn the page.)

I love sight-reading! One day I will master it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Acrozius?feature=mhee
I wonder if that knocking sound that Shah hears on the F130R is the same knocking sound I hear on my FP-50 in the notes around B4/C5 (same supernatural grand piano sound). I have been using zero ambiance to reduce it, but it is still there a good part of the time as I play pretty heavily on the keys. I think Shah and I have in common that we are both new at piano playing.

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano yet but getting there.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The DP-90 is an amazing instrument. One of my favourites in the line. It shares a similar form factor to the F-130R but has a higher powered speaker box, and a different action.

Depending on the Generation of DP-90 it will have PHA-3 Ivory feel S or PHA-3 Ivory feel. (One piece construction on the Ivory Feel-S and two piece on the Ivory feel)

If it is the newer generation DP-90e series it will use either the PHA-4 Concert (on the DP-90Se) or the PHA-4 Premium (On the DP-90e).

All very good. I like the changes on the PHA-4, in that the feeling of the keys bottoming out is slightly less abrupt, and the overall mechanical noise of the keybed when played silently or under headphones, is much quieter.

Jay

Industry Consultant
S
S
Originally Posted by Tuneless
I wonder if that knocking sound that Shah hears on the F130R is the same knocking sound I hear on my FP-50 in the notes around B4/C5 (same supernatural grand piano sound). I have been using zero ambiance to reduce it, but it is still there a good part of the time as I play pretty heavily on the keys. I think Shah and I have in common that we are both new at piano playing.

Yup, just started my first lesson.

Shah, I wanted to know if it was my particular unit, or the FP-50 in general, so I went back to a store carrying the Rolands, and tried another FP-50, and an F-20, both had the hard knock on the same keys. So, if you are looking at a replacement for the F130R, I would not suggest another Roland unless you can afford and want a much more expensive Roland that has more supernatural pianos than the 3 that came with on FP-50, as all of those pianos have the same problem, but the worst keys move a note or 2 between pianos 1, 2 and 3.

I also notice F2 is too loud and Bb4 is too soft. I already equalized this FP-50 to lower the base, as it was too over powering compared to the mid-section.

So, I think it is time for me to bite the bullet and get me the convertible laptop/tablet I have been looking at and buy one of the versions of Pianoteq. This Roland is starting to get on my nerves.

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
S
S
Tuneless,

If you have not changed your fp-50 yet, I suggest you reconsider to keep it for awhile. I believe the fp-50 has access to Piano Partner like f-130r. I found out this software to be really useful for beginners like us.

As far as I know, the only brand which offers similar software is yamaha through its clavinova model. Its complimentary software is called Notestar. But yamaha's notestar is only available in certain countries, not in my country for sure. You have to check with your local yamaha dealer.

If you decide to change to yamaha clavinova, you have calculate the 'switching cost' as digital pianos depreciate a lot.

I am trying my best to hold on to f-130r as advised by several people in 'adult beginner' forum. According to them, we will eventually purchase an acoustic piano. That is when we let go our digital equipment. I hope I can stick to their advice. I am already looking at a couple of accoustic pianos. Fingers crossed smile

Last edited by shah; 10/26/14 04:42 AM.
I have no intention of switching DPs, as I will be using after market sound software soon, and the deficiencies in the Roland samples will not be an issue any more. Also, I really don't like the sound of Yamahas, the mid treble sounds much to bright for me, a worse flaw to me than the hard knock.

I already have an acoustic, but there are times when you don't want to broadcast your practice to the world, so the DP is going to always be useful.

I also got the idea to purchase the DP because I was always disassembling the AP to work on it. Acoustics will have issues from time to time that require regulation/repair, especially if you get a used one. If you are looking at a used acoustic piano, never buy one without a qualified piano tech looking at it before committing to buy. There are huge pitfalls in buying a used acoustic.

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
PS. The Roland Piano Designer would be wonderful if they would make it usable with the FP-50, but it currently is not available for the FP-50, only the FP-80.

The Piano Partner, isn't that only for Apple products? I am not an Apple person, and have no intention of ever being so, unless Microsoft gets a whole lot worse than it is.

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW (this is a general comment):

If you have a DP with an action that you find OK, and you don't like the sound:

. . . Buying Pianoteq, or a sampled software piano, is the
. . . cheapest way to improve the sound.

Even if you need a new computer to run the software, you will probably save money over the alternative:

. . . sell the current DP;
. . . buy a new DP.

I am biased -- I'm running Pianoteq from a PX-350, and I'm happy with it.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
S
S
I am an Android person but bought an Ipad to complement f-130r. Yeah, Apple succeeded this time. But I have to admit that I have been learning fur elise through Piano Partner - utilizing right & left hand mode while reading the DigiScore (digital music score). This app makes learning easier in addition to regular piano lessons I am attending. Is there any cool app like Piano Partner? Love this kind of app wink

I am relatively new to piano. So sound wise, I have no idea yet.

Last edited by shah; 10/26/14 01:44 PM.
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Shah
I'm not familiar with the piano partner app, but you might be interested in synthesia, which takes a sort of video game (like guitar hero for piano in a way)approach to learning piano pieces. Another software option, well more of a service, is piano marvel. It offers computer based instruction, but takes a more traditional approach (reading music is an integral part of the program). I've not used any of this software, but some people seem to like each of them.

warm regards

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
J
J
Hi -

I'm thinking about getting a F130R or RP401R for my 9 year old (how I ended up here). During my research, I was unsuccessful at getting a definitive answer regarding F130R/RP401R's compatibility with Piano Partner and newer generation of iPads. At least in the compatibility chart on their website, Roland does not include iPad Air, Air 2, Mini 2 or Mini 3. I'm having a hard time believing this to be the case as older generation iPads (in new condition anyway) are not even being sold in too many places any longer.

I would appreciate anyone being able to shed some light on this mystery. I'd hate to go out and buy the piano and iPad Air/Air 2 only to learn they are not compatible at using Piano Partner with F130R/RP401R.

Thank you in advance for help.

Cheers

S
S
Hi jpdad:

I can 100% confirm that the Roland F130R works with the iPad Air. There is some set-up involved and you have to get a Netgear N150 USB Adaptor ($16 on Amazon, avoiding the mark-up on Roland's version which does the same thing).

But once it's setup -- it's amazing.

Let me know when get the Roland and I'll be more than happy to get on the phone with you if you need help.

Roland F-130R
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by jpdad
Hi -
. . .
I would appreciate anyone being able to shed some light on this mystery. I'd hate to go out and buy the piano and iPad Air/Air 2 only to learn they are not compatible at using Piano Partner with F130R/RP401R.

. . .

If "Jay Roland" doesn't answer this, send him a PM and ask.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission