Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2308732 - 07/29/14 09:23 PM Need progression lesson
Maarkr Offline

Loc: Maine, USA
I came up with a chord progression, and I thought I should apply what LITTLE I know to learn more from it. It is Am/E, Em, Dsus4, D.
Can a I chord be a minor, or does it stay a minor (as a i or whatever)? Why are there no minor chords on the inside of the circle of fifths if a minor chord can be a I? Anyway, I guessed that this prog fits in the key of G (my I chord) and the prog is ii,vi,V,V, but i never see a double V,V annotated anywhere. So how do you annotate the progression?
I bought this Chord Wheel by Jim Fleser that does a good job of looking at progressions... but like most things, it's enough to get you confused about many other things. Of course, more discussion about progressions and the chord wheel are welcome.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2308746 - 07/29/14 10:27 PM Re: Need progression lesson [Re: Maarkr]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Any chord with a capitalized roman numeral is major, and lower case is minor. The Dsus4 is not necessarily treated like a V chord, but annotated V4-3 (as in a 4-3 suspension on the V chord). This is digging up stuff from way back when, so I could be wrong. smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2308765 - 07/29/14 11:31 PM Re: Need progression lesson [Re: Maarkr]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I think the way you have described it is pretty much it.

As far as I know ...
It is a chord progression within the key of G and is a ii, vi, Vsus, V progression. Nothing more ... nothing less.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2308992 - 07/30/14 03:23 PM Re: Need progression lesson [Re: Maarkr]
RUSS SHETTLE Offline

Loc: Brandywine, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Maarkr
I came up with a chord progression, and I thought I should apply what LITTLE I know to learn more from it. It is Am/E, Em, Dsus4, D.
Can a I chord be a minor, or does it stay a minor (as a i or whatever)? Why are there no minor chords on the inside of the circle of fifths if a minor chord can be a I? Anyway, I guessed that this prog fits in the key of G (my I chord) and the prog is ii,vi,V,V, but i never see a double V,V annotated anywhere. So how do you annotate the progression?
I bought this Chord Wheel by Jim Fleser that does a good job of looking at progressions... but like most things, it's enough to get you confused about many other things. Of course, more discussion about progressions and the chord wheel are welcome.

Yes a minor chord can be the first progression chord. Your question pertains to the use of RNs.

I alone is MAJOR, whereas "i" is minor. That's the original RN establishment and still used in pure diatonic expressions of chords in a scale.

"Im" is the same as "i". Notice that I put "m" after the capital I. This way you use all caps.

So for the major chord scale expressed in RNs'

I ii iii IV V vi viio..... or all caps:
I IIm IIIm IV V VIm VIIo. (m) like with naming chords with letters, is use to indicate minor.

There is more to your question and that's further theory.

V/V means the 5 chord of the 5 chord. It's a stupid way of expressing a D Major chord in the Key of C. In the C Dm is the ii chord but when the 2-chord is major, traditional RN's would have you say V of V. So how is D V of V? Well V is G of C Right? D then is V of G. See how stupid it is when all you need to express in an RN is II, not IIm which would be minor for the 2 chord but II as to indicate major just as you would express letter chords by name. D versus Dm.
Yamaha AP Upright

#2309000 - 07/30/14 03:37 PM Re: Need progression lesson [Re: Maarkr]
RUSS SHETTLE Offline

Quote:
Why are there no minor chords on the inside of the circle of fifths if a minor chord can be a I

First a minor chord can't be "I" in the way you're thinking. It can be Im (minor) I refers to major.

Secondly I or Im or i is "1" chord if minor is then in a relative minor key and is modal and could also be modal as in Dorian for example.

The relative minor Key to any major is Aeolian in mode.

The circle of 5ths does not show chords. It is not about chords. It's about key signatures. It's merely a chart, by design, the number of sharps and flats are shown to increase from none to 7 based on 5ths. There are charts that show the same thing but not in a circle. It's just a chart.

C has 0 sharps. Go up a 5th to G, G has 1 sharp in it's signature. Keep going from there.

Flats go in the opposite direction from C. C has 0 flats, etc.

See what's happening?
Yamaha AP Upright

#2309096 - 07/30/14 08:45 PM Re: Need progression lesson [Re: Maarkr]
Maarkr Offline

Loc: Maine, USA
sorry, i guess i was mentally mixing up the actual 'circle of fifths' and the Chord Wheel I mentioned above, which is similar but different in concept because it arranges the key sigs with chords and helps me better understand progressions.

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1180676064l/1064839.jpg

#2309493 - 07/31/14 07:18 PM Re: Need progression lesson [Re: Maarkr]
RUSS SHETTLE Offline

Originally Posted By: Maarkr
sorry, i guess i was mentally mixing up the actual 'circle of fifths' and the Chord Wheel I mentioned above, which is similar but different in concept because it arranges the key sigs with chords and helps me better understand progressions.

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1180676064l/1064839.jpg

Oh yes, and there shows your relative minor chords as well.

Listen, don't get too hung up on these cute little illustrations. Know and understand our diatonic system of music. It is the fundamental core. Look at the chords for just one single key. Let's look at the key of C. Music is written in one key or another. You can think of it as meaning that all of the melody and chords to a song will be in one scale. Let's look at the key of C because it deals with just the white keys, no black keys

C Major Scale:

Note scale: C D E F G A B C... like you didn't know that.

OK, now lets look at the "chord scale":
C Dm Em F G Am Bdim.... Leave out the Bdim for a moment and we have 3 major chords and 3 minor chords to play with in the key of C.

And what is unique about all these chords again? Just the White keys! all white, right? How easy can that be. You can play a lot of songs with just those 6 chords and believe me there are a lot of songs out there that are "purely diatonic"!

Purely Diatonic? What does that mean? It means that the entire melody and chords to a song will belong to one key only and no deviation, 100% Diatonic! Again, in the Key of C that means nothing but the white keys.

Why did I pick the key of C again? Just the white keys.... right?

If we were looking at the key of E for example, we would have the same chord scale scenario but it would include 4 sharps or 4 of the 5 black keys. All else being the same in terms of scale notes and scale chords. You would see in the circle of 5ths the key of E having 4 sharps.

If you can understand just one single key you can understand all of them because the same rules apply to all of them in regard to the diatonic system. Written music or notation is designed and based around the diatonic system. That's why you see written music with a key signature. Blank or no signature just means the key of C because there are no sharps or flats to be identified.

You will also realize that in written music, the musical staff only accommodates for letter notes or all the white keys of a piano. Lines and spaces are devoted to only white key letter names of notes. What Key signature does is mark which notes must be flatted or sharped. That's a whole other discussion. The point is to show the reality of our diatonic system in music.

Give it a try. Play around in the key of C. Progression C F G. In Roman Numerals that you might have seen or read about that's your I IV V and guess what is true about those 3 perfect major chords?

The notes to those 3 chords make up the entire C Major scale. Think about this: Music is based around the Major Scale. Key signature is based on the major scale. The relative minor scale is a modal shift of the major scale. It's the same notes out of phase as are all modes of that one scale and in fact, the major scale is the first or primary mode itself called the Ionian scale.

Relative major and minor:

C Major scale: C D E F G A B C (Ionian)
A Minor scale: A B C D E F G A (Aeolian) ("natural" "relative minor" scale to C Major)

Same notes right? Just shifted. A Natural Minor is the Aeolian Mode.

When you finally see this diatonic system for yourself and realize how simple it really is you will finally see the forest for the trees in music. Music will no longer be a mystery. All you have to concentrate on for starters is the:

1. Major note scale
2. Major chord scale

This is fun stuff to learn.

Edited by RUSS SHETTLE (07/31/14 07:44 PM)
Yamaha AP Upright

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
09/30/14 02:59 PM
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:42 AM
Who's Online
155 registered (accordeur, 36251, 43 invisible), 1667 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76379 Members
42 Forums
157890 Topics
2318863 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission