2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
It's the subtitle of HR5, and it apparently suggests a program or concept for the piece. The 'elegy' part is obvious given that the main theme is in the style of a funeral march - but how about "Héroïde"? I can't find a definition for that one. If the piece is a musical tribute to someone's life, is it known if Liszt had anyone specific in mind?

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Goomer Piles
If the piece is a musical tribute to someone's life, is it known if Liszt had anyone specific in mind?

No. As in Funérailles, it is a heart-felt tribute to the Hungarian uprising in October of 1849.

It is one of Liszt's greatest works, and always moves me to tears.

At least that is my take, and do keep in mind that Liszt's Seven Hungarian Historical Portraits dates from his late years.

Jason
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
No. As in Funérailles, it is a heart-felt tribute to the Hungarian uprising in October of 1849.

I'm learning it now. It is an emotionally gripping piece. My understanding is that Funeraille was written because of Liszt's rage about that failed uprising and his grief about the execution of his friends. If you listen carefully, you can imagine the execution scene. Learning it is an indescribable experience...exhausting, painful and cathartic. Listen to Kissin's recording. You can hear the inevitability of death. Look at his face when he finishes:

Best regards,

Deborah
It's the subtitle of HR5, and it apparently suggests a program or concept for the piece. The 'elegy' part is obvious given that the main theme is in the style of a funeral march - but how about "Héroïde"? I can't find a definition for that one. If the piece is a musical tribute to someone's life, is it known if Liszt had anyone specific in mind?

The subtitle of HR5 translates to sad letters. In turn, two distinct voices tell the tale of a relationship's joy, hope, depression, anger, distance, and resignation. I've always suspected it is his own story.

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by argerichfan

Would that be Funérailles or HR5?

J
J

The term is explained in the English wikipedia:

http://tinyurl.com/lmmwspk

"A héroïde is a term in French literature for a letter in verse, written under the name of a hero or famous author, derived from the Heroides by Ovid. It was invented by Charles-Pierre Colardeau."

Jack
OP Offline
Originally Posted by joflah

"A héroïde is a term in French literature for a letter in verse, written under the name of a hero or famous author, derived from the Heroides by Ovid. It was invented by Charles-Pierre Colardeau."

French Wikipedia has far more than two sentences, which is why I was curious about a deeper understanding of the term.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A9ro%C3%AFde

J
J

French Wikipedia has far more than two sentences, which is why I was curious about a deeper understanding of the term.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A9ro%C3%AFde

Then why did your OP say you couldn't find a definition of the term?

Jack
OP Offline

Because at that point I hadn't found a definition of the term. YOU provided one, and that Wikipedia article had a link to the French article - which I had not seen.

Why do you sound so confrontative? Just doing your bit to support the culture of this forum?

J
J

Because at that point I hadn't found a definition of the term. YOU provided one, and that Wikipedia article had a link to the French article - which I had not seen.

Why do you sound so confrontative? Just doing your bit to support the culture of this forum?

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. I took your reply

"French Wikipedia has far more than two sentences, which is why I was curious about a deeper understanding of the term."

as meaning that you'd already read the Frenk wiki article, and that was why you were looking for more information. Again, sorry.

Jack
OP Offline
I'm sorry that I jumped to a conclusion there, and I apologize to you for that - and to everyone else here who really does make an effort to be helpful.

I had inferred that 'héroïde' had at its root something to do with the English word 'hero', which your Wikipedia link confirmed. I was just hoping for something more specific.

Again, I apologize for my hostile tone.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission