Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
157 registered (ajames, accordeur, A Guy, Al LaPorte, 37 invisible), 1846 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2310118 - 08/02/14 07:30 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wimpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Just wondering, are we having a race? I thought I submit the best I can at whatever time I think it's ready.. or is there some pride in an early submission? wink

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2310124 - 08/02/14 07:42 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Jayden Offline

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
It's just that many of us finished ours well before, and in anticipation of this date.

It's not like I woke up early and refreshed the recital submission page every 5 minutes or anything...

hehehe

#2310126 - 08/02/14 07:58 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wimpiano]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Originally Posted By: wimpiano
Just wondering, are we having a race? I thought I submit the best I can at whatever time I think it's ready.. or is there some pride in an early submission? wink

There's no good reason to be early except wanting to appear early in the order of recital performances, or possibly to free your household of additional red dot stresses. Once it is submitted you still have up to the last minute on the 14th to submit a better version and go to the back of the recital line.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2310135 - 08/02/14 08:19 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wimpiano]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
@outo, I vote Franck smile

Well, he is one of my alltime favorite composers...

I tried to record the other one today, but don't like what I hear at all. I still cannot make the recording sound normal...I may have to again use my pocket digital, which seems really stupid, considering I have equipment that is supposed to be much better confused

Maybe I'll just make a few recordings of both and then when the dealine comes, I just submit what I feel is better smile

#2310305 - 08/02/14 04:55 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
GeorgeSchiro Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
I'm sure I could get better, but I'm not sure I'd want to if it involves crossing the line of having fun enjoying myself vs. living a life of constant, ongoing stress.

I don't mind living near or on that line, but I don't want to cross it.

I hope this makes sense to you as it's the best I can describe it.

This has nothing to do with the current discussion, so I apologize in advance for the distraction. I just wanted to say that I enjoy hearing your style of music as well as reading your style of writing Mr Super-Hunky. Thank you for that.

I get the distinct impression that we share more than a love of the piano.

Although I've never been much of an athlete as you have been (chess is more my speed), I did seriously consider building a log cabin many moons ago. I saw the snaps of yours the other day. How picturesque! I hope it is your dream home. It surely would be for many.

I have little doubt you have identified yourself somewhere in your 4000+ posts. But please save me the trouble so that I may refer to you by your real name. I feel that if we were neighbors in the real world, you, me and our wives might enjoy sharing time together. My name is George. What is yours?

#2310319 - 08/02/14 05:33 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: sinophilia]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: sinophilia
Good luck! Break a leg, in bocca al lupo, whatever you prefer smile

Sorry for the Tchaikovsky, but you could have submitted it anyway, I'm sure you play it much better than I. Love Beethoven though.

Thank you so much Diana!

The Tchaikovsky was a kind of funny accident. When my teacher assigned it to me, I protested a little because I knew from the timing that it would end up being the piece I would be most ready for this recital and I didn't want to repeat another member's recital piece back to back! But my teacher said it an excellent piece to learn choral playing and voicing, so I am stuck with it. smirk

I decided that the recitals is a place to share and support each other, so I decided precisely to avoid your reaction of who playing better than whom should be avoided. We are here to support each other, not to compare. I think I may upload it to soundcloud at some point.

#2310320 - 08/02/14 05:41 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
17 or 18 for me this time. The dog got her sneck in since the vid from my earlier recording just didn 't synch - .

""

#2310453 - 08/03/14 12:03 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wimpiano]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.

Very good question wimpiano. I've made early submissions before only to realize that if I had spent a few extra days practicing it I may have been able to fine tune the piece a bit before recording it.

On the other hand, we literally have 3 months to learn a new piece for every quarterly recital so there really is no reason not to be ready by the first of the month.

For me, procrastinating on something doesn't make it any easier or make it go away. It just kicks the can down the road only to still have to do it but now with much less time. For me, this equals stress. To avoid this, I try and get things done on time while relieving any possibility of building up stress. This simple plan works very well for me.

Obviously, there are others who think this way as well so it's not really at all about being a contest of who can submit there performance first, but rather just people who are prepared as planned and don't have any reason to wait any longer to submit.

But to get back to your original point, if you really understand it [which I think you do], you will realize that it is the 'second' mouse that gets the cheese!

#2310456 - 08/03/14 12:09 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: GeorgeSchiro]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: GeorgeSchiro
I'm sure I could get better, but I'm not sure I'd want to if it involves crossing the line of having fun enjoying myself vs. living a life of constant, ongoing stress.

This has nothing to do with the current discussion, so I apologize in advance for the distraction. I just wanted to say that I enjoy hearing your style of music as well as reading your style of writing Mr Super-Hunky. Thank you for that.

I get the distinct impression that we share more than a love of the piano.

Although I've never been much of an athlete as you have been (chess is more my speed), I did seriously consider building a log cabin many moons ago. I saw the snaps of yours the other day. How picturesque! I hope it is your dream home. It surely would be for many.

I have little doubt you have identified yourself somewhere in your 4000+ posts. But please save me the trouble so that I may refer to you by your real name. I feel that if we were neighbors in the real world, you, me and our wives might enjoy sharing time together. My name is George. What is yours?

George, I am truly flattered by your comments. But if I must reveal my true identity, you probably wouldn't believe me.

But I've been keeping this special secret to myself for too long now. So if you must know, I am really just a different ISP address registered to Monica K.

Hard to believe huh?, but it's true!

#2310462 - 08/03/14 12:23 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wimpiano]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia

there is no kudos in an early submission especially if it is not up to standard so certainly not a race. Being prepared this time and getting an early submission, I knew was representative of my current ability, has stopped that nagging voice in the back of my head saying I have a submission I should be working on which is a welcome relief.

#2310465 - 08/03/14 12:27 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM

George, I am truly flattered by your comments. But if I must reveal my true identity, you probably wouldn't believe me.

Clark Kent smile

Cathy

#2310469 - 08/03/14 12:35 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA
So if you must know, I am really just a different ISP address registered to Monica K.

So, Monica K. and Mr Super-Hunky is the same person. Well, that's interesting. So which one is the real you before you drink the potion? crazy I'd imagine jumping back and forth between Arizona and Kentucky is a little rough.

#2310476 - 08/03/14 12:57 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
noobpianist90 Offline

Loc: India
I'm in at #19. It's not a very good recording. Ah well... I'll have to not do the first take recording from next time grin

#2310478 - 08/03/14 12:59 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: earlofmar]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Originally Posted By: earlofmar

there is no kudos in an early submission especially if it is not up to standard so certainly not a race. Being prepared this time and getting an early submission, I knew was representative of my current ability...

Speak for yourself! I'm racing against the clock to submit something up to standard and representative of my current ability crazy laugh

But seriously, there are kudos--mine at least--for a timely job well done. Congratulations!

Edited by Starr Keys (08/03/14 01:23 AM)

#2310490 - 08/03/14 02:33 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: 8 Octaves]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: 8 Octaves
So if you must know, I am really just a different ISP address registered to Monica K.

So, Monica K. and Mr Super-Hunky is the same person. Well, that's interesting. So which one is the real you before you drink the potion? crazy I'd imagine jumping back and forth between Arizona and Kentucky is a little rough.

Well one person doesn't turn into the other, but rather we both turn into each other at times. A sort of complete swap.

This is very efficient and gets a lot accomplished.

And we can fly too.

#2310491 - 08/03/14 02:47 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well one person doesn't turn into the other, but rather we both turn into each other at times. A sort of complete swap.

And we can fly too.

Peter Pan? (a girl turned into a boy...)

#2310521 - 08/03/14 07:05 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
barbaram Offline

Well I'm in at no 20. It was no picnic getting a semi-acceptable recording, but it's a relief to have it done!!

#2310529 - 08/03/14 07:44 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA

On the other hand, we literally have 3 months to learn a new piece for every quarterly recital so there really is no reason not to be ready by the first of the month.

For me, procrastinating on something doesn't make it any easier or make it go away. It just kicks the can down the road only to still have to do it but now with much less time.

But to get back to your original point, if you really understand it [which I think you do], you will realize that it is the 'second' mouse that gets the cheese!

Sure there are lots of reasons to not be ready by the first of the month - it's commonly referred to as "life getting in the way"...we've all been there (I am now) and given a split second we could all think of numerous reasons...

And haven't we had enough of this "kicking the can down the road" stuff? That damn can must have been shattered to pieces long since (or we must have run out of road by now)...

And sometimes the first mouse alertly spots the trap, lies to the second mouse about it's danger, and then steps around the zapped second mouse to claim his cheesy prize...

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2310550 - 08/03/14 09:23 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
wimpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
[quote=wimpiano]

I agree. I must admit though that the 1 month to recital thread surprised me.. Luckily I worked on these pieces longer than that..

#2310598 - 08/03/14 12:03 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wimpiano]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
Done! And sorry, Wimpiano, it's not the Franck...but surely that will happen sooner or later.

I realized that I need to start working on new material and lessons will start in a week. This recording business was getting tireing, so I just played what I could and submitted that. It seems I am getting better at playing through the little mistakes, so that's something positive smile

Next time it will be Baroque again!

#2310609 - 08/03/14 12:45 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
casinitaly Online   blank

Loc: Italy
I agree that knowing the recital comes round every 3 months doesn't mean you're always going to be ready for it!

The last five weeks I've barely had any time at the piano - we've been travelling and had family visiting and I missed several days (reported faithfully in MOYD smile ) ..... I'm still working on bringing my music up to a presentable condition. ...and wondering if I'll make it!

#2310661 - 08/03/14 03:37 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

>The last five weeks I've barely had any time at the piano - we've been travelling and had family visiting and I missed several days

Usually, all this can be planned in. In fact my NOVEMBER (potential recital) piece is about 70% ready right now (that is, before I left for my current holidays). And I have another piece that is about 50% ready. It seems to me that there should be no real issue unless you need more than 3 months to learn a single piece.

#2310671 - 08/03/14 03:57 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Mr Super-Hunky (or is it Mrs - I'm getting confused now smile ) Thanks for the details on this issue

What should be better is the confidence in the recording. Something about playing a piece that already has a flub or two in it actually relieves some stress, not increase it.

Ah, yes, sounds familiar.

As far as why can't I make it better? It involves the combination of what I mentioned above along with the law of diminishing returns. At first, I love a new piece. Especially the part where you actually start to grab it without messing up constantly. But after many repetitions, the initial overwhelming reaction fades a bit. The more you play it, the more ordinary it becomes to you.

Is that becoming ordinary really the problem? Then, how about limiting it to at most three play-throughs per day (this is what I do)? Aren't you confusing what you hear with how the public hears it? Maybe it even is becoming better if you feel it starts becoming 'ordinary'?

This combined with the fact that at a certain point it seems to take an enormous effort just to get a tiny crumb better, I don't want to break the balance point.

I agree with the problem of deminishing returns. I think that the getting better should be possible without stress, on the contrary, I think that stress and uncertainty/unconfidence is the main thing to get rid of. Being able to continue to play when you make errors is a big factor here as well.

#2310681 - 08/03/14 04:22 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Starr Keys]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Starr Keys

And we can fly too.

Okay okay, you got me. I didn't think about how twisted this comment could get. So trust me when I say I'm all man honey. No tights on these thighs!

#2310716 - 08/03/14 06:09 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Starr Keys

And we can fly too.

Okay okay, you got me. I didn't think about how twisted this comment could get. So trust me when I say I'm all man honey. No tights on these thighs!

No aspersion on your masculinity intended hunky. As Carl Jung said every man has a little woman in him and every woman a little man in her. Most us would prefer not to be mistaken for the opposite gender, however. laugh

Believe me I know how it feels. Over in the August Bar, they think I'm a tall Asian man with a tenor voice, because I posted a video comparing some of Peyton's Phillip Glass piece to the accompaniment on a Viva La Vida Cover. In fact I got the best compliment on my voice ever and I haven't submitted a thing this month. frown

#2310785 - 08/03/14 10:31 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Lots of great choices! I'm very happy to see George Winston making an appearance. I've wanted to play some of his music but it can be hard to find the music. I really like my music nicely notated so I don't have to put in too much work!

#2310804 - 08/03/14 11:23 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Pathbreaker have you seen this?

George Winston Piano Solos score book

Now, to look for who's playing what by GW. smile

#2310809 - 08/03/14 11:32 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
That's the only one I could find. There's definitely some great stuff in there but most of my favorites are in 'Autumn'.

EDIT: Actually I love 'Reflection' and 'The Cradle' and both are in there. I don't know, trying to justify spending the money. I need to be sure I will find the time to learn the stuff.

Edited by Pathbreaker (08/03/14 11:38 PM)

#2310824 - 08/04/14 12:34 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
I played George Winston's Troubador. The style of the piece is classical with some jazz overtones and I think it's an unusual piece for Winston. You can hear Winston's original recording is at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pzsk_OXPg8&list=ALBTKoXRg38BDt3YgAmAm5W0JKs0UpPtul

Feel free to drop me a PM if you would like any more info about the score.

#2310982 - 08/04/14 12:13 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
GeorgeSchiro Offline

Loc: Florida, USA

OK, NP. I was just looking forward to less typing. Hopefully you will be OK with SH going forward.

But seriously SH, I really don't get the cloak and dagger with all this anonymity online. Clearly I'm in the minority on this, but since we aren't fighting some rebel cause in fear for our lives (as far as I can tell within this little realm of piano players), why do so many of us feel the need to play someone else here while not doing the same in our so-called real lives? Is it because playing make-believe is not so easy for adults in the real world?

Perhaps someone can help me understand this peculiar new normalcy in the digital age.

Edited by GeorgeSchiro (08/04/14 12:45 PM)

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Production Grand
by mitzysman
11/26/14 04:05 PM
Have you seen this person/these people anywhere?
by Mark Davis
11/26/14 03:55 PM
Humming noise with MIDI-IN and LINE-IN
by Frédéric L
11/26/14 03:41 PM
Chopin F.I. Improv
by TwelfthRoot2
11/26/14 03:37 PM
My Gratitude
by Music Me
11/26/14 03:19 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159377 Topics
2341157 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission