Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2309550 - 07/31/14 10:17 PM Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Recital #35 is now open for submissions!

Believe it or not, it’s time for the 35th quarterly “Beginners and Beyond” recital hosted by the Piano World Adult Beginners Forum! smile The recital will be posted some time on the 15th of August, which means that the submissions must be in by 9:00 pm Eastern Daylight Savings Time, August 14. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related. Only one recording may be submitted per forum member (although that recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces).

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you’re on your first Alfred’s method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you. heart

Recital submissions must be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. We recommend encoding the recording at 192 kbs with a constant bitrate, as that works best with the online streaming player. At that bitrate, a 20 MB file works out to be about 7-9 minutes in length. Your recording will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. See the "Important Topics in the AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the AB forum page. Audacity is an excellent free recording application that can be used.

If you’re new to the forum and the recitals, I encourage you to browse through a few of the past recitals to see what they’re like. An easy way to find past recitals is to use Sam S.’s extremely helpful recital index, located here:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Submitting Your Recording:

We will be using again the absolutely marvelous automatic web-based recital program that mahlzeit wrote for us. You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/

and follow the instructions there. Please note that this URL reflects our new permanent home for all the recital files. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital software, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the new website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me. If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, I strongly encourage you to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it.

The recital website uses the following submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you’d like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, what you had for lunch, etc.}

The due date for all submissions is 9:00 pm US EASTERN TIME on August 14, 2014.

Did I mention that the 9:00 pm deadline was firm?

Think "consistency of concrete." smokin

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is a recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital order will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time, for any reason, you will be bumped to the end of the list.

Should anyone have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, this is the place to ask. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB Forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other members’ problems. Please ask away! smile

Let's all go out and brave that Red Dot and share a lot of beautiful music! thumb

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2309572 - 07/31/14 11:12 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I've come down with a very bad dose of "overpreparedness" and got myself in at No 2.

#2309578 - 07/31/14 11:22 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
So I was just standing around minding my own business and the no. 3 spot opened up with no takers so I grabbed it.

I'm not going to play the game of trying to get a better and better take only to realize that I should have just kept the original one to begin with.

Of course, as always, my best performance is the one just after the one I submitted. It never fails!

#2309604 - 08/01/14 01:22 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
I'm in!

It's really been delightful seeing the variety, and I have found several pieces that have made their way into my Must Learn queue! It's a nice way of getting exposure to a wider scope of piano music than I would otherwise bump into.

Edited by AZ_Astro (08/01/14 01:23 AM)

#2309608 - 08/01/14 01:38 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
In at number 6 smile

earlofmar, can't wait to hear your Chopin, I want to learn that too!

#2309624 - 08/01/14 02:18 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: sinophilia]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sinophilia
In at number 6 smile

earlofmar, can't wait to hear your Chopin, I want to learn that too!

I would say it is an excellent introduction to Chopin. I always look forward to hearing what you present as well as you are a bit in front of me time wise so I get a little glimpse of the future. Plus we both have exquisite taste in music lol.

#2309625 - 08/01/14 02:27 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jazztpt Offline

I recorded a few weeks ago, highest spot for me so far at no 7. Looking forward to the recital.

Piano Recordings

#2309628 - 08/01/14 02:31 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: earlofmar]
sinophilia Offline

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
Plus we both have exquisite taste in music lol.

So true grin

I may be in front of you time wise but not in terms of playing ability. And I rarely tackle challenging pieces, although I'm making more forays into the intermediate realm now. How about Schumann's Kinderszene no. 1? wink

#2309636 - 08/01/14 03:24 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: sinophilia]
wimpiano Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
How about Schumann's Kinderszene no. 1? wink

YES PLEASE!! My favourite piece of the Kinderszenen. I am so much looking forward to the moment I will be able to play it..

#2309642 - 08/01/14 03:48 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Ok, I'm in! #8

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2309643 - 08/01/14 04:03 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
1000 Post Club Member

I'm trying to submit Saturday or Sunday. I was recording yesterday but it's not yet at the level I'm aiming for, however realistic that is..

#2309644 - 08/01/14 04:07 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: sinophilia]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So true grin

I may be in front of you time wise but not in terms of playing ability. And I rarely tackle challenging pieces, although I'm making more forays into the intermediate realm now. How about Schumann's Kinderszene no. 1? wink

A beautiful piece but I am trapped within a Debussy phase and don't quite know when he is going to let me go. Though I may get the boot soon enough as it's all very hard.

#2309653 - 08/01/14 04:26 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
barbaram Offline

Well done all you organised people with your submissions in already!
Planning to record this weekend and submit the best I get...

#2309654 - 08/01/14 04:26 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
So I was just standing around minding my own business and the no. 3 spot opened up with no takers so I grabbed it.

I'm not going to play the game of trying to get a better and better take only to realize that I should have just kept the original one to begin with.

Of course, as always, my best performance is the one just after the one I submitted. It never fails!

Oh, then it's really easy: submit a crap version, start the recorder and record your final submission smile

#2309655 - 08/01/14 04:28 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

In at 9! I'm on summer holidays so my connection is not so sharp

#2309656 - 08/01/14 04:30 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: sinophilia]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

So true grin

Highly recommended. How about adding no. 7 to it for a bit of challenge ;-)

#2309661 - 08/01/14 04:47 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
noobpianist90 Offline

Loc: India
I'm trying for a one shot record, so I'll be recording Saturday night and submitting whatever I end up recording grin

#2309754 - 08/01/14 10:08 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Just to let y'all know: I'm leaving in a couple of hours for Chicago to help my hubby out at the biggest coin show of the year. Most of the time I will be in the convention center with no internet access. If you have trouble uploading your recording and email it to me instead, I may not be able to upload it from my end until we return on the 9th. If you have other questions/problems, you may get quicker resolution just posting your question here in the thread.

#2309838 - 08/01/14 03:28 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wouter79]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

No Wouter, that's not it at all. And who said said anything about submitting a 'crap' version and just kicking back?

In reality, it goes like this...

Start practicing your next recital piece 2-3 months ahead of time. Practice it everyday, numerous times per day. After a few months, you will not only have worked out the bugs but you will be so familiar with the piece that you will start getting a little tired of it. This is a bit of a problem actually because it is right about this time that you need to make a good recording of all the practicing you have been doing but at the same time you may become a little jaded with the piece and this lackluster attitude could possibly end up in your recording. It has in mine!

Anyway, after making a decent recording, I always 'think' I can do better [because I have...but not with the recorder on] I get into this self imposed stressful cycle of trying to get just a little bit better of a recording [in which nobody else will tell the difference!].

So this time, I'm not going to do that. If I can't make it sound any better after working a piece every day for several months, then I'm not going to be able to make any dramatic results in the eleventh hour. So in the next two weeks while many others will be squirming stressing out over a 'better' recording, I'm going to start working on my next recital submission.

Of course, in two months I'll be sick of that piece and we can have this discussion all over again but after many years now I've observed that this is how it actually works.

#2309845 - 08/01/14 03:41 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA
I'm in at 16. I agonized over whether to record 'In Church' by Tchaikovsky since it's my latest assignment from my teacher and she said it will be my last level 5 etude. Yay! Well, I decided not to record that since sinophilia already played it for the last recital, so I ended up submitting my exam piece by Beethoven. I might do 'In Church' for the piano bar next month. Didn't spent any time to prepare for the recording because I'm too busy with RCM 5 exam in 7 days! Ah, I'm going crazy. Wish me luck! You'll hear a spot where my mind just went blank for a moment. I didn't re-record. It is what it is.

#2309878 - 08/01/14 04:48 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: 8 Octaves]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Looks like I'm in at 17, a record for me. Can't drive my poor wife crazy with this any more...even the dogs are losing patience.

Edited by JimF (08/01/14 04:58 PM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#2309892 - 08/01/14 05:27 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: 8 Octaves]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: 8 Octaves
I'm in at 16. I agonized over whether to record 'In Church' by Tchaikovsky since it's my latest assignment from my teacher and she said it will be my last level 5 etude. Yay! Well, I decided not to record that since Sinophilia already played it for the last recital, so I ended up with my exam piece from Beethoven. I might do 'In Church' for the piano bar next month. Didn't spent any time to prepare for the recording because I'm been too busy with RCM 5 exam in 7 days! Ah, I'm going crazy. Wish me luck! You'll hear a spot where my mind just went blank for a moment. I didn't re-record. It is what it is.

good luck with the exam and hope to hear how you got on

#2309905 - 08/01/14 05:51 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Anyway, after making a decent recording, I always 'think' I can do better [because I have...but not with the recorder on] I get into this self imposed stressful cycle of trying to get just a little bit better of a recording [in which nobody else will tell the difference!].

So this time, I'm not going to do that.

Ah, when you wrote "Of course, as always, my best performance is the one just after the one I submitted. It never fails! " you mean that you THINK that performance is better when you play it, but actually it's just like the one you just recorded.

I agree that you are not going to make major improvements in the last seconds.

But clearly you think you can do better. What is it that should be better, and why can't you make it better ?

#2310048 - 08/02/14 12:35 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wouter79]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
I have two pieces that are both kind of ready for recording...but I have trouble making one. Both pieces require a bit of a "slow mood" for me to play them well and again I seem to be unable to forget about the recording device and just can't help hurrying... I think I'd need a tranqualizer shot...

I decided not to play both pieces since although they are short and both are romantic, I don't think they actually make a good combination musically. So now I just have to decide...Franck or Sibelius? confused

#2310055 - 08/02/14 01:47 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: outo]
8 Octaves Offline

Originally Posted By: outo
I think I'd need a tranqualizer shot...

A stiff drink is more accessible. laugh

#2310062 - 08/02/14 02:15 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: 8 Octaves]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: outo
I think I'd need a tranqualizer shot...

A stiff drink is more accessible. laugh

I wísh... I am sure a glass of red would do it as well, but I've had to give up alcohol altogether for health reasons frown

I usually play best late at night, but there's no way I could play the acoustic then for the recording...I have neighbours...

Edited by outo (08/02/14 02:17 AM)

#2310063 - 08/02/14 02:26 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wouter79]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wouter79

But clearly you think you can do better. What is it that should be better, and why can't you make it better ?

What should be better is the confidence in the recording. Something about playing a piece that already has a flub or two in it actually relieves some stress, not increase it.

It relieves stress because as you are playing it you know you already screwed up enough not to make this any kind of a submitted recording so then it allows you to play at ease for the rest of the piece. When the recorder is on and you already have made it 3/4 of the way through without any hiccups, you now have a huge incentive not to screw up because you are so close to making it all the way. Because of this, you tend to be cautious. This applies to me anyway.

Again, when the recorder is off, it just allows for more freedom without recorded consequences. The rpm's go down a notch.

As far as why can't I make it better? It involves the combination of what I mentioned above along with the law of diminishing returns. At first, I love a new piece. Especially the part where you actually start to grab it without messing up constantly. But after many repetitions, the initial overwhelming reaction fades a bit. The more you play it, the more ordinary it becomes to you.

This combined with the fact that at a certain point it seems to take an enormous effort just to get a tiny crumb better, I don't want to break the balance point.

I'm sure I could get better, but I'm not sure I'd want to if it involves crossing the line of having fun enjoying myself vs. living a life of constant, ongoing stress.

I don't mind living near or on that line, but I don't want to cross it.

I hope this makes sense to you as it's the best I can describe it.

#2310085 - 08/02/14 04:00 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: 8 Octaves]
sinophilia Offline

I'm in at 16. I agonized over whether to record 'In Church' by Tchaikovsky since it's my latest assignment from my teacher and she said it will be my last level 5 etude. Yay! Well, I decided not to record that since sinophilia already played it for the last recital, so I ended up submitting my exam piece by Beethoven. I might do 'In Church' for the piano bar next month. Didn't spent any time to prepare for the recording because I'm too busy with RCM 5 exam in 7 days! Ah, I'm going crazy. Wish me luck! You'll hear a spot where my mind just went blank for a moment. I didn't re-record. It is what it is.

Good luck! Break a leg, in bocca al lupo, whatever you prefer smile

Sorry for the Tchaikovsky, but you could have submitted it anyway, I'm sure you play it much better than I. Love Beethoven though.

#2310098 - 08/02/14 05:19 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: JimF]
jazztpt Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF
Looks like I'm in at 17, a record for me. Can't drive my poor wife crazy with this any more...even the dogs are losing patience.

Really like that Jarrett piece, look forward to hearing your performance.

Piano Recordings

#2310117 - 08/02/14 07:29 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
1000 Post Club Member

@outo, I vote Franck smile

#2310118 - 08/02/14 07:30 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
1000 Post Club Member

Just wondering, are we having a race? I thought I submit the best I can at whatever time I think it's ready.. or is there some pride in an early submission? wink

#2310124 - 08/02/14 07:42 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Jayden Offline

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
It's just that many of us finished ours well before, and in anticipation of this date.

It's not like I woke up early and refreshed the recital submission page every 5 minutes or anything...

hehehe

#2310126 - 08/02/14 07:58 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wimpiano]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wimpiano
Just wondering, are we having a race? I thought I submit the best I can at whatever time I think it's ready.. or is there some pride in an early submission? wink

There's no good reason to be early except wanting to appear early in the order of recital performances, or possibly to free your household of additional red dot stresses. Once it is submitted you still have up to the last minute on the 14th to submit a better version and go to the back of the recital line.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2310135 - 08/02/14 08:19 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wimpiano]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

@outo, I vote Franck smile

Well, he is one of my alltime favorite composers...

I tried to record the other one today, but don't like what I hear at all. I still cannot make the recording sound normal...I may have to again use my pocket digital, which seems really stupid, considering I have equipment that is supposed to be much better confused

Maybe I'll just make a few recordings of both and then when the dealine comes, I just submit what I feel is better smile

#2310305 - 08/02/14 04:55 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
GeorgeSchiro Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Florida, USA
I'm sure I could get better, but I'm not sure I'd want to if it involves crossing the line of having fun enjoying myself vs. living a life of constant, ongoing stress.

This has nothing to do with the current discussion, so I apologize in advance for the distraction. I just wanted to say that I enjoy hearing your style of music as well as reading your style of writing Mr Super-Hunky. Thank you for that.

I get the distinct impression that we share more than a love of the piano.

Although I've never been much of an athlete as you have been (chess is more my speed), I did seriously consider building a log cabin many moons ago. I saw the snaps of yours the other day. How picturesque! I hope it is your dream home. It surely would be for many.

I have little doubt you have identified yourself somewhere in your 4000+ posts. But please save me the trouble so that I may refer to you by your real name. I feel that if we were neighbors in the real world, you, me and our wives might enjoy sharing time together. My name is George. What is yours?

#2310319 - 08/02/14 05:33 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: sinophilia]
8 Octaves Offline

Good luck! Break a leg, in bocca al lupo, whatever you prefer smile

Sorry for the Tchaikovsky, but you could have submitted it anyway, I'm sure you play it much better than I. Love Beethoven though.

Thank you so much Diana!

The Tchaikovsky was a kind of funny accident. When my teacher assigned it to me, I protested a little because I knew from the timing that it would end up being the piece I would be most ready for this recital and I didn't want to repeat another member's recital piece back to back! But my teacher said it an excellent piece to learn choral playing and voicing, so I am stuck with it. smirk

I decided that the recitals is a place to share and support each other, so I decided precisely to avoid your reaction of who playing better than whom should be avoided. We are here to support each other, not to compare. I think I may upload it to soundcloud at some point.

#2310320 - 08/02/14 05:41 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
17 or 18 for me this time. The dog got her sneck in since the vid from my earlier recording just didn 't synch - .

""

#2310453 - 08/03/14 12:03 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wimpiano]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Very good question wimpiano. I've made early submissions before only to realize that if I had spent a few extra days practicing it I may have been able to fine tune the piece a bit before recording it.

On the other hand, we literally have 3 months to learn a new piece for every quarterly recital so there really is no reason not to be ready by the first of the month.

For me, procrastinating on something doesn't make it any easier or make it go away. It just kicks the can down the road only to still have to do it but now with much less time. For me, this equals stress. To avoid this, I try and get things done on time while relieving any possibility of building up stress. This simple plan works very well for me.

Obviously, there are others who think this way as well so it's not really at all about being a contest of who can submit there performance first, but rather just people who are prepared as planned and don't have any reason to wait any longer to submit.

But to get back to your original point, if you really understand it [which I think you do], you will realize that it is the 'second' mouse that gets the cheese!

#2310456 - 08/03/14 12:09 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: GeorgeSchiro]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: GeorgeSchiro

This has nothing to do with the current discussion, so I apologize in advance for the distraction. I just wanted to say that I enjoy hearing your style of music as well as reading your style of writing Mr Super-Hunky. Thank you for that.

I get the distinct impression that we share more than a love of the piano.

Although I've never been much of an athlete as you have been (chess is more my speed), I did seriously consider building a log cabin many moons ago. I saw the snaps of yours the other day. How picturesque! I hope it is your dream home. It surely would be for many.

I have little doubt you have identified yourself somewhere in your 4000+ posts. But please save me the trouble so that I may refer to you by your real name. I feel that if we were neighbors in the real world, you, me and our wives might enjoy sharing time together. My name is George. What is yours?

George, I am truly flattered by your comments. But if I must reveal my true identity, you probably wouldn't believe me.

But I've been keeping this special secret to myself for too long now. So if you must know, I am really just a different ISP address registered to Monica K.

Hard to believe huh?, but it's true!

#2310462 - 08/03/14 12:23 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wimpiano]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

there is no kudos in an early submission especially if it is not up to standard so certainly not a race. Being prepared this time and getting an early submission, I knew was representative of my current ability, has stopped that nagging voice in the back of my head saying I have a submission I should be working on which is a welcome relief.

#2310465 - 08/03/14 12:27 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM

George, I am truly flattered by your comments. But if I must reveal my true identity, you probably wouldn't believe me.

Clark Kent smile

Cathy

#2310469 - 08/03/14 12:35 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
8 Octaves Offline

So if you must know, I am really just a different ISP address registered to Monica K.

So, Monica K. and Mr Super-Hunky is the same person. Well, that's interesting. So which one is the real you before you drink the potion? crazy I'd imagine jumping back and forth between Arizona and Kentucky is a little rough.

#2310476 - 08/03/14 12:57 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
noobpianist90 Offline

I'm in at #19. It's not a very good recording. Ah well... I'll have to not do the first take recording from next time grin

#2310478 - 08/03/14 12:59 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: earlofmar]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: california

there is no kudos in an early submission especially if it is not up to standard so certainly not a race. Being prepared this time and getting an early submission, I knew was representative of my current ability...

Speak for yourself! I'm racing against the clock to submit something up to standard and representative of my current ability crazy laugh

But seriously, there are kudos--mine at least--for a timely job well done. Congratulations!

Edited by Starr Keys (08/03/14 01:23 AM)

#2310490 - 08/03/14 02:33 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: 8 Octaves]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

So if you must know, I am really just a different ISP address registered to Monica K.

So, Monica K. and Mr Super-Hunky is the same person. Well, that's interesting. So which one is the real you before you drink the potion? crazy I'd imagine jumping back and forth between Arizona and Kentucky is a little rough.

Well one person doesn't turn into the other, but rather we both turn into each other at times. A sort of complete swap.

This is very efficient and gets a lot accomplished.

And we can fly too.

#2310491 - 08/03/14 02:47 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well one person doesn't turn into the other, but rather we both turn into each other at times. A sort of complete swap.

And we can fly too.

Peter Pan? (a girl turned into a boy...)

#2310521 - 08/03/14 07:05 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
barbaram Offline

Well I'm in at no 20. It was no picnic getting a semi-acceptable recording, but it's a relief to have it done!!

#2310529 - 08/03/14 07:44 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA

On the other hand, we literally have 3 months to learn a new piece for every quarterly recital so there really is no reason not to be ready by the first of the month.

For me, procrastinating on something doesn't make it any easier or make it go away. It just kicks the can down the road only to still have to do it but now with much less time.

But to get back to your original point, if you really understand it [which I think you do], you will realize that it is the 'second' mouse that gets the cheese!

Sure there are lots of reasons to not be ready by the first of the month - it's commonly referred to as "life getting in the way"...we've all been there (I am now) and given a split second we could all think of numerous reasons...

And haven't we had enough of this "kicking the can down the road" stuff? That damn can must have been shattered to pieces long since (or we must have run out of road by now)...

And sometimes the first mouse alertly spots the trap, lies to the second mouse about it's danger, and then steps around the zapped second mouse to claim his cheesy prize...

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2310550 - 08/03/14 09:23 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
1000 Post Club Member

[quote=wimpiano]

I agree. I must admit though that the 1 month to recital thread surprised me.. Luckily I worked on these pieces longer than that..

#2310598 - 08/03/14 12:03 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wimpiano]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Done! And sorry, Wimpiano, it's not the Franck...but surely that will happen sooner or later.

I realized that I need to start working on new material and lessons will start in a week. This recording business was getting tireing, so I just played what I could and submitted that. It seems I am getting better at playing through the little mistakes, so that's something positive smile

Next time it will be Baroque again!

#2310609 - 08/03/14 12:45 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
casinitaly Online   blank

I agree that knowing the recital comes round every 3 months doesn't mean you're always going to be ready for it!

The last five weeks I've barely had any time at the piano - we've been travelling and had family visiting and I missed several days (reported faithfully in MOYD smile ) ..... I'm still working on bringing my music up to a presentable condition. ...and wondering if I'll make it!

#2310661 - 08/03/14 03:37 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

>The last five weeks I've barely had any time at the piano - we've been travelling and had family visiting and I missed several days

Usually, all this can be planned in. In fact my NOVEMBER (potential recital) piece is about 70% ready right now (that is, before I left for my current holidays). And I have another piece that is about 50% ready. It seems to me that there should be no real issue unless you need more than 3 months to learn a single piece.

#2310671 - 08/03/14 03:57 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Mr Super-Hunky (or is it Mrs - I'm getting confused now smile ) Thanks for the details on this issue

What should be better is the confidence in the recording. Something about playing a piece that already has a flub or two in it actually relieves some stress, not increase it.

Ah, yes, sounds familiar.

As far as why can't I make it better? It involves the combination of what I mentioned above along with the law of diminishing returns. At first, I love a new piece. Especially the part where you actually start to grab it without messing up constantly. But after many repetitions, the initial overwhelming reaction fades a bit. The more you play it, the more ordinary it becomes to you.

Is that becoming ordinary really the problem? Then, how about limiting it to at most three play-throughs per day (this is what I do)? Aren't you confusing what you hear with how the public hears it? Maybe it even is becoming better if you feel it starts becoming 'ordinary'?

This combined with the fact that at a certain point it seems to take an enormous effort just to get a tiny crumb better, I don't want to break the balance point.

I agree with the problem of deminishing returns. I think that the getting better should be possible without stress, on the contrary, I think that stress and uncertainty/unconfidence is the main thing to get rid of. Being able to continue to play when you make errors is a big factor here as well.

#2310681 - 08/03/14 04:22 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Starr Keys]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Starr Keys

And we can fly too.

Okay okay, you got me. I didn't think about how twisted this comment could get. So trust me when I say I'm all man honey. No tights on these thighs!

#2310716 - 08/03/14 06:09 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

And we can fly too.

Okay okay, you got me. I didn't think about how twisted this comment could get. So trust me when I say I'm all man honey. No tights on these thighs!

No aspersion on your masculinity intended hunky. As Carl Jung said every man has a little woman in him and every woman a little man in her. Most us would prefer not to be mistaken for the opposite gender, however. laugh

Believe me I know how it feels. Over in the August Bar, they think I'm a tall Asian man with a tenor voice, because I posted a video comparing some of Peyton's Phillip Glass piece to the accompaniment on a Viva La Vida Cover. In fact I got the best compliment on my voice ever and I haven't submitted a thing this month. frown

#2310785 - 08/03/14 10:31 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Lots of great choices! I'm very happy to see George Winston making an appearance. I've wanted to play some of his music but it can be hard to find the music. I really like my music nicely notated so I don't have to put in too much work!

#2310804 - 08/03/14 11:23 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Pathbreaker have you seen this?

George Winston Piano Solos score book

Now, to look for who's playing what by GW. smile

#2310809 - 08/03/14 11:32 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
That's the only one I could find. There's definitely some great stuff in there but most of my favorites are in 'Autumn'.

EDIT: Actually I love 'Reflection' and 'The Cradle' and both are in there. I don't know, trying to justify spending the money. I need to be sure I will find the time to learn the stuff.

Edited by Pathbreaker (08/03/14 11:38 PM)

#2310824 - 08/04/14 12:34 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AZ_Astro Offline

I played George Winston's Troubador. The style of the piece is classical with some jazz overtones and I think it's an unusual piece for Winston. You can hear Winston's original recording is at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pzsk_OXPg8&list=ALBTKoXRg38BDt3YgAmAm5W0JKs0UpPtul

Feel free to drop me a PM if you would like any more info about the score.

#2310982 - 08/04/14 12:13 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
GeorgeSchiro Offline

OK, NP. I was just looking forward to less typing. Hopefully you will be OK with SH going forward.

But seriously SH, I really don't get the cloak and dagger with all this anonymity online. Clearly I'm in the minority on this, but since we aren't fighting some rebel cause in fear for our lives (as far as I can tell within this little realm of piano players), why do so many of us feel the need to play someone else here while not doing the same in our so-called real lives? Is it because playing make-believe is not so easy for adults in the real world?

Perhaps someone can help me understand this peculiar new normalcy in the digital age.

Edited by GeorgeSchiro (08/04/14 12:45 PM)

#2311001 - 08/04/14 01:39 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: GeorgeSchiro]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
... knowing the recital comes round every 3 months doesn't mean you're always going to be ready for it!

thumb
I'm not this round. It was my indecision that largely got me into this pickle.

I was only half way through learning the piece prior to departing for EPP2014, and thought I would likely sit this one out (or restore and play something else), since the half I had learned was still way off the mark. But, I came back re-energized.

The work has come a long way in the last couple of weeks. So, I've decided I will do my best to present it. I hope to get in, just prior to the deadline. I also have some new recording equipment I will need to figure out. But, practice is more important for the moment. It will be rough, but way further along, even now, then it would otherwise have been, were it not for this goal.

The count down is on for me now. A great roster developing of prepared folks I see. I look forward to joining you (barring any further setbacks) in time for another great show.

#2311010 - 08/04/14 02:12 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: GeorgeSchiro]
8 Octaves Offline

Perhaps someone can help me understand this peculiar new normalcy in the digital age.

The use of a pseudonym is an age old practice. For me, my participation on ABF would be severely limited without it. Here's some thoughts on the reasons: http://www.writing-world.com/business/pseudonym.shtml

Obviously, for every good thing, there are undesirable side-effects. Some abuse the use of pseudonym in order to troll. It's the price we pay sometimes.

I think one thing that is important to me is to do my best to not offend or fan the flames of anything controversial. I imagine readers would not tolerate someone hiding behind a pseudonym lobbing controversies.

However, I would suggest that in today's digital age, my employer and indeed all sophisticated employers are capable of monitoring and mining every word being published by every employee. I personally believe what I do with piano is none of their business. However, that's not what many employers feel. Then there are the clients. How do they feel about my time spent on ABF instead of focusing on me, me, me, me, me. "So is that why it took you 3 days to come back with a proposal?" "No, that's not it at all. It's because...." "Well, you're fired!" This scenario is not too far from the possibilities with the prima Dona clients I work with. At my workplace, there is an expectation that I work all my waking hours. Even the perception of not doing so could have severe consequences. When it was discovered that I play the piano, the immediate questions from co-workers and managers were "when do you take lessons?" "How much do you practice?" Which my responses had to be, "Lessons on Saturday", which is true, and "I don't practice during weeknight", which is mostly true. You can see in their eyes the immediate judgment that you are not working hard enough. You dare have fun when everyone else is working so hard.

If I had to use my real name here, then I would have to manage my post the way one would manage posts by a Disney or Coca-Cola. I would not be able to write this post, for instance. I would have to come across in a very scripted manner, which is not the participation I would prefer on ABF. Real life is a very stressful place, and I would rather not have my real life crossing over into my hobby life. Having less stress was the whole point of piano to begin with. Having anonymity allows me to be more honest and be myself.

#2311015 - 08/04/14 02:24 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: 8 Octaves]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

I also think it's wise to be anonymous, if you have the bad habit of spending your employers (tax payers in my case) paid time on piano forums smile

On the other hand I don't think it's too difficult to actually find out my identity with a little bit of detective work, at least on some other forums...and I really don't mind...I don't have a habit of writing anything I could not stand by or say to anyone in real life.

#2311031 - 08/04/14 03:09 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

>Clearly I'm in the minority on this, but since we aren't fighting some rebel cause in fear for our lives (as far as I can tell within this little realm of piano players), why do so many of us feel the need to play someone else here while not doing the same in our so-called real lives? Is it because playing make-believe is not so easy for adults in the real world?

In this digital world everyone can collect a huge amount of personal information. Future employers, governments, identity thieves... Therefore for security and privacy reasons alone you basically have to anonymize yourself (and that alone may be insufficient)...

#2311049 - 08/04/14 03:53 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

On the subject of not using one's real name... in addition to the comments about remaining anonymous from current or future employers, also I just think it's a safety thing. Anyone can read PW and a lot people more read than post. We don't know who's reading what we write. In the past, I've posted a lot of personal details that, along with a name, would make it very easy for someone to figure out where I lived, for example. Not that anyone necessarily would do that, but better safe than sorry. And because we're posting anonymously, it's easy to be candid.

But other than that, I personally try to ensure that internet interactions I have as "ShiroKuro" are basically the same as interactions I would have offline, under my real name. In other words, I try to always behave myself and not do or say/write something that I wouldn't do or say under my real name. So I'm not "playing someone else" -- I am as much myself here when I'm posting under the name ShiroKuro as I am when I'm talking to someone who knows my real name offline.

Edited by ShiroKuro (08/04/14 03:54 PM)

#2311067 - 08/04/14 04:45 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: ShiroKuro]
8 Octaves Offline

Originally Posted By: ShiroKuro
So I'm not "playing someone else" -- I am as much myself here when I'm posting under the name ShiroKuro as I am when I'm talking to someone who knows my real name offline.

Agreed. I don't think there should be an assumption that we are pretending to be someone else just because of the anonymity. If anything as an adult beginner, it's easier to participate in the recitals anonymously. I would be too embarrassed to submit my recordings otherwise. There is no pretending at all. Yep, that's how I play... which is why I have a job outside of music.

#2311109 - 08/04/14 06:00 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Stalkers. Having had a family member stalked by a violent person, annonymity looks good. It's easy enough to find out who I am if you want to muck around PW. But I don't have to make it easier than it already is.

And for those who think PW is none of their employer's business. A big +1.

We live in enough of a fishbowl, thank you very much.

Cathy

#2311147 - 08/04/14 07:14 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: jotur]
GeorgeSchiro Offline

It makes me sad that so many people feel a sense of fear here. That seems so incongruous in a forum for music lovers.

I am sorry if I touched a nerve folks. That was not my intention.

I was hoping to possibly develop friendships with a few real people who share a love for the piano. I think doing so might be difficult with pseudonyms, like trying to bond with people at a masked ball. Perhaps I am wrong. I am not really sure since I haven't done this before.

Oh well. Thank you for at least sharing your first name. That seems like enough to at least say "Hello Cathy. It is nice to meet you."

#2311171 - 08/04/14 07:59 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
It makes me sad that so many people feel a sense of fear here.

George, it's not that there's fear *here* it's that this is a public spot on the internet and many of us want to be careful. Also, I don't mean to accuse you of insensitivity, but I wonder if it might feel like less of an issue for you as a man -- for those who don't know, I'm female (and I've shared photos of myself here in the past)

Quote:
I was hoping to possibly develop friendships with a few real people who share a love for the piano. I think doing so might be difficult with pseudonyms, like trying to bond with people at a masked ball. Perhaps I am wrong. I am not really sure since I haven't done this before.

I'd like to say you're wrong, but ultimately it depends on your own feelings about the issue. I've been posting here for almost 10 years (wow!) and I consider many here friends. And at the same time, given the fact that most of us don't live in the same area, sharing names just doesn't seem necessary. If we have the chance to meet, I'll be happy to share my name then, *offline* and in a situation where I'm sharing my name with someone who is also sharing their name with me. I think that's another part of it, if I share my name in this public thread, I'm sharing my name with a whole bunch of people who aren't, and of course with all the lurkers who aren't even posting. Even if you don't agree, I hope you can understand why many of us don't want to do that and try to keep that from preventing you from making friends here.

As I said, I've been ShiroKuro here for almost 10 years. Really, at this point, that isn't any less my name than the other name I use offline.

#2311179 - 08/04/14 08:17 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Believe me, I consider many of the people here friends. We communicate in pms, often after we've had a shared opinion of another poster's viewpoint, and some I have their non-PW e-mails and we've shared pictures, phone calls, commiserated over illnesses, celebrated over celebrations, etc.

Then there's the piano parties. I've been to several in Denver, and WiseBuff and her husband recently were in Santa Fe and we got together to play. But the most recent piano party you can read about in this thread:

European Piano Party in Lisbon

So stick around. You will indeed make friends.

Cathy

#2311188 - 08/04/14 08:41 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: GeorgeSchiro]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It makes me sad that so many people feel a sense of fear here. That seems so incongruous in a forum for music lovers.

There is no fear here but just like any other public forum it is best to maintain one's security. The fact that we are music lovers only brings to mind the recent thread here on the Pianist Corner thread. After reading some of the snide remarks and vitriol I could see how some members would use another members personal information as a weapon in their shameful arguments.

A secondary reason for a certain amount of anonymity (we give away so much in our posts)is that as individuals we are able to express ourselves better when we feel we are not being judged by others. Our shields are actually our freedom and may actually help friendships evolve where ordinarily they may not. (I think you can tell I am a shameful optimist).

Surprising to me is how easy friendships can evolve in this internet world and after a while you will know who the "good guy" are. If you ever need a lesson in how the internet can be misused seek out the movie and/or TV show "Catfish" it's a bit of a revelation.

Edited by earlofmar (08/04/14 08:43 PM)

#2311193 - 08/04/14 08:52 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: earlofmar]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

A secondary reason for a certain amount of anonymity (we give away so much in our posts)

You mean like the fact that I can't spell anonymity?

<snort>

Cathy

#2311195 - 08/04/14 08:56 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: jotur]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur
A secondary reason for a certain amount of anonymity (we give away so much in our posts)

You mean like the fact that I can't spell anonymity?

<snort>

Cathy

thank goodness for spell checker is all I can say

#2311201 - 08/04/14 09:06 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

George, in the early days of Facebook, people were so thrilled to have a way to keep in touch with their friends and casually let them know what was going on in their life when they didn't have time to see them or when they lived too far away for them to maintain the friendship any other way.

The trouble started however when their friending people became extended to those they had met on line. People who they shared interests with through their participation in discussion groups, like this, with those who, like you, they were convinced they shared a lot in common with, but whose character they didn't really know. Wearing masks is a two way street. Criminals and con artists can do it as easily as those with sincere and friendly intentions, and many cultivate and feign enthusiasm for people and interests (in some cases they might actually have the interest but they are using it) just for the purpose of getting personal information so they can rob or sexually harass the person, and that is what happen to many people on Facebook. People would announce they would be seeing a band or going on vacation, and they come home to find their house had been burglarized.

I'm not insinuating that you would do something like this, but there is always the chance, the same way there is the chance that you might be conned by any of us. You are new and have only made 20 posts and many of us have known each other for years and have exchanged many PM's over time. Most of the people I PM will sign their real first name after a few exchanges, but then expect us to continue to use the "mask" name in the public forum. But as Shirokuro says there is no reason to know more if you don't live nearby and haven't any reason to meet. Most friends don't include a surname when they address each other in real life.

#2311221 - 08/04/14 09:58 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
George, for what it's worth I'll throw in my two cents. I've always used my real name here on the forum and my web site makes it pretty clear who I am and where I live. So far I have not regretted it. I feel pretty safe here as I stay away from personal attacks and any political talk. Those are the things that draw fire. That said, I was once on a forum where just those kinds of things did happen and I did regret that folks knew who I was. So I can understand people's trepidation. It does not happen here (this site is extremely well moderated) but anonymous people can get pretty nasty sometimes and sometimes what is said on the web...stays on the web.

#2311262 - 08/05/14 01:01 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Peyton]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peyton
I stay away from personal attacks and any political talk. Those are the things that draw fire.

Words to live by thumb....but I still wouldn't friend anyone on my Facebook who was new to me on a public forum after reading that they wanted to get to know me better. But as Shirokuro mentioned, gender might play a role in this, mine not theirs. smile

#2311267 - 08/05/14 01:30 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: GeorgeSchiro]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Oh well. Thank you for at least sharing your first name. That seems like enough to at least say "Hello Cathy. It is nice to meet you."

George, as said above, this is the internet.

Like anything on the web, this forum is like a public newspaper, the whole world can read everything ever posted here till end of times. There may be 100x more readers than posters here, or maybe 10000x including future readers. There is no way to be sure who's who here until you met others in person (or have other means to trace back internet connections such as hackers or governments). What is most touching to me is to see that you apparently do not realize that.

Again, be careful what you say in public. Today's normality may be a crime tomorrow.

#2311283 - 08/05/14 02:36 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]

Well, I don't have too much to add to George's comment except to support what the Others have said - yes, indeed it is possible to develop relationships with people even using pseudonyms. The more you participate here, the more learn about the community and you will find you "click" with certain folks.

I think it works because we're all very passionate about the same thing and our discussions are open and sincere. We often even leave ourselves vulnerable when we talk about what isn't going well. For the most part, and especially in this AB Forum, the community is supportive and very kind. Friendships on-line do develop..... and sometimes we even get to meet in person.

There are lots of piano parties in the USA, and we've started having European piano parties --- and then there are opportunities to meet up during travels, with folks you've connected with here.

But it does take time and one should always proceed with caution.

#2311287 - 08/05/14 03:08 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: GeorgeSchiro]
noobpianist90 Offline

Quite the contrary for me. I don't have any need to be anonymous, but I still don't share personal information unless I feel it adds value to this forum.

We are here for music, and that is the part of ourselves we freely share, without constraint or reservation. The musical part of us remains unchanged whether we exist as a person in everyday life, or as an entity on the web. Music is life smile

#2311295 - 08/05/14 03:34 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
1000 Post Club Member

Sharing personal details is a bit dangerous on the net (I know of quite some bad experiences and had one or two myself). So when I share personal info, I would do it using PM.

#2311330 - 08/05/14 06:06 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: 8 Octaves]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
At my workplace, there is an expectation that I work all my waking hours.

That's a terribly unhealthy work ethic! I'm glad you ignore that, at least a little, and take time to play piano smile Got to enjoy life.

#2311565 - 08/05/14 04:08 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
1000 Post Club Member

And I'm in smile
I might update it when I have time. (this one has some clipping).

#2311637 - 08/05/14 07:01 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

There are several topics floating around here right now.

#1.) Nobody seems to be buying that Mr Super Hunky and Monica are the same person.

#2.) Internet security and anonymity.

#3.) The fact that we will discuss just about anything in the 2 weeks prior to the recital opening date. I just want to note that this has been a very sensitive slice of time in the past where some deeper issues seem to surface. [Probably because are nerves are shot due to the recording process and we're almost looking to smack someone as a result!.... 'Almost'!

Anyway, the good news is that because most of us here have respect for one another and appreciate what each other has accomplished, we always seem to patch things up. Usually producing a stronger bond than before.

Just an observation.

George, you paid me some very nice compliments and I can't tell you how much that means to me. Actually I can, and I did.

Just like you, I would love to be friends with like minded/similar interest people. From what you have described as some of your interests, I would like to be friends with you as well as many others here. There is no reason why we can't be nor is there any reason to over complicate the basic concept.

Some people openly say who they are and most use some creative user name for a whole slew of reasons.

If someone represents themselves as say 'waterski-boy 69', then I would realize that they could have chosen to represent them-self by their real name [Bob Smith], but chose not too for whatever reason. Asking someone to disclose private/personal information that they previously had chosen not to disclose to be available to everyone on the planet would be exponentially against what the person wanted to begin with. You could even say that asking a person to divulge personal/private info to the world could create an awkward situation for everyone involved if things don't go as planned.

For this reason alone, I personally refer to someone as they wish to be referred to. Even if it seems a bit odd.

And being born with the last name of 'Super-Hunky' can get a bit odd at times. Especially when I'm talking with dudes!

As others have said, you can find out just about anything on anyone if you really want to. The user names are just a type of internet privacy fence. But you can see around the privacy fence by using the 'private message' feature which was created specifically for this purpose.

So, in actuality, there is, and really never was any problem here. Al that was needed was a fine tuning of the compatibility knob that's all. Public info is public. Private info is private. Perfectly compatible.

Now let's eat!

#2311683 - 08/05/14 08:35 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

.......where some deeper issues seem to surface. [Probably because are nerves are shot due to the recording process and we're almost looking to smack someone as a result!.... 'Almost'!

That explains everything

If someone represents themselves as say 'waterski-boy 69', then I would realize that they could have chosen to represent them-self by their real name [Bob Smith], but chose not too for whatever reason. Asking someone to disclose private/personal information that they previously had chosen not to disclose to be available to everyone on the planet would be exponentially against what the person wanted to begin with. You could even say that asking a person to divulge personal/private info to the world could create an awkward situation for everyone involved if things don't go as planned.

For this reason alone, I personally refer to someone as they wish to be referred to. Even if it seems a bit odd.

And being born with the last name of 'Super-Hunky' can get a bit odd at times. Especially when I'm talking with dudes!

As others have said, you can find out just about anything on anyone if you really want to. The user names are just a type of internet privacy fence. But you can see around the privacy fence by using the 'private message' feature which was created specifically for this purpose.

So, in actuality, there is, and really never was any problem here. Al that was needed was a fine tuning of the compatibility knob that's all. Public info is public. Private info is private. Perfectly compatible.

Now let's eat!

Very well put ****** (no it's just not right)..Mr SuperH

Edited by casinitaly (08/09/14 04:42 AM)

#2311693 - 08/05/14 09:04 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MandyD Offline

I'm going to change the conversation again and bring it back to topic. grin I played the music I'm thinking of entering into the recital in my lesson last night and my teacher was very encouraging and I think a little stunned & happy that I have attempted something that is well above what we've done in lessons so far. So I'm feeling very very excited and a little nervous about doing my very first recital. I only hope that I don't get shot down for my little mistakes (because no matter how many 100's of times I'm playing this little bit of music I can't do it with no mistakes blush ). Now I'm just waiting on my MIDI to USB cable to arrive and I'm going to attempt to record it. It's all a bit daunting as I have no idea how to go about it all, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. smile

#2311702 - 08/05/14 09:15 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

MandyD you will never get shot down for mistakes in these recitals.

#2311728 - 08/05/14 10:47 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
dpaws Offline

I finally got a "passable" recording! Just 2 mistakes but no major derailment. I'm going to try to get some better takes and if all else fails, I'm going with what I got.

I notice my recordings seem low in volume as compared to other people's given the same volume setting on the PC. I'm recording with a Samson C01U microphone using Audacity. My recording level is set correctly because I am just ever so slightly clipping (twice in the entire recording, and I can't hear them). Is anyone using compression? Or, is it microphone placement? I'm placing my microphone about 6 feet back from the front of the piano.

XXXV

#2311730 - 08/05/14 10:55 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: MandyD]
dpaws Offline

Originally Posted By: MandyD
So I'm feeling very very excited and a little nervous about doing my very first recital. I only hope that I don't get shot down for my little mistakes

First recital - good for you! Congratulations! No, no one gets shot down for mistakes. My first recital was back in March and I made a lot of mistakes. Everyone was accepting and encouraging and it was a lot of fun. So much fun I'm doing it again! smile

XXXV

#2311731 - 08/05/14 11:00 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: dpaws]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
Originally Posted By: dpaws

I notice my recordings seem low in volume as compared to other people's given the same volume setting on the PC.

If you have a low recording level you can boost it with Audacity using the 'amplify' function.

#2311744 - 08/05/14 11:26 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: timmyab]
dpaws Offline

Originally Posted By: timmyab

I notice my recordings seem low in volume as compared to other people's given the same volume setting on the PC.

If you have a low recording level you can boost it with Audacity using the 'amplify' function.

Thanks, timmyab. I tried that and if I enter anything greater than 0, it disables the OK button (presumably any amplification will only add clipping).

XXXV

#2311745 - 08/05/14 11:31 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: dpaws]
noobpianist90 Offline

Thanks, timmyab. I tried that and if I enter anything greater than 0, it disables the OK button (presumably any amplification will only add clipping).
Have you tried the normalize and the equalization functions?

#2311759 - 08/06/14 12:16 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: noobpianist90]
dpaws Offline

Originally Posted By: noobpianist90

Have you tried the normalize and the equalization functions?

Thanks, noobpianist90. Normalize will only go to -1 dB, and equalization (I want a flat frequency response curve) if I equalize up (by any + dB) it just increases the frequency of the clipping.

I'm going to try a few different microphone placements and see if any sound better, but I won't be able to tonight. I feel like I want to keep the signal processing to a minimum, so, maybe it just is what it is. cool

XXXV

#2311761 - 08/06/14 12:19 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: dpaws]
noobpianist90 Offline

Normalize will only go to -1 dB, and equalization (I want a flat frequency response curve) if I equalize up (by any + dB) it just increases the frequency of the clipping.

No, not that way. Normalize it down about -3dB or -4dB, and then amplify it. That way, the high decibels are normalized to the lower ones and all are amplified.

#2311764 - 08/06/14 12:26 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: noobpianist90]
dpaws Offline

Normalize will only go to -1 dB, and equalization (I want a flat frequency response curve) if I equalize up (by any + dB) it just increases the frequency of the clipping.

No, not that way. Normalize it down about -3dB or -4dB, and then amplify it. That way, the high decibels are normalized to the lower ones and all are amplified.

Oh! I see what you are getting at. I'll try it out and see what happens. Thanks!

XXXV

#2311766 - 08/06/14 12:46 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: dpaws]
noobpianist90 Offline

Oh! I see what you are getting at. I'll try it out and see what happens. Thanks!

Please note that this would be a last resort kinda thing, and you might have to play around with the exact normalize and amplify dB levels. If you overdo it, you might lose out on the dynamics in your recording.

#2311817 - 08/06/14 04:25 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

(...)
#2.) Internet security and anonymity.
(...)

Mr Super-Hunky Although I know your real name long time ago, you will always be Mr Super-Hunky.
And why? Because your name (and avatar) are almost as a brand of Piano World; your opinions are always scathing (but not offensive), direct and intelligent; you are respected by most of the participants of this website; and you are one of the most popular members of this community. You excel amid +70,000 members, which is remarkable.
And I wish that will continue this way.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2311821 - 08/06/14 04:44 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]

If I mention llamas, log cabins or underwear models in conjuction with piano my husband says ---Oh, are you talking about Mr. Hunky-Dory? (Sorry Mr. Super-Hunky smile )

I'm in. I didn't think I was going to make it.

I was struggling between 2 choices and surprised myself by going with what was (for me) the harder piece. I made a point of playing through flubs - and while I'd like to say this is representative of what I can do in front of a live audience, the fact is that playing for my computer is getting easier and easier... playing in front of people is still a real problem for me. So....this is probably BETTER than I'd do if I were in your living room smile

Glad to have it done - warts and all smile

#2311827 - 08/06/14 05:17 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

#1.) Nobody seems to be buying that Mr Super Hunky and Monica are the same person.

Doubt if even the Transformers could make that transformation...

#3.) The fact that we will discuss just about anything in the 2 weeks prior to the recital opening date.

I've noticed that trend too - it's almost as if the Call for Submissions is taken as a Call for Contentiousness also...

Originally Posted By: mr Super-Hunky

Some people openly say who they are and most use some creative user name for a whole slew of reasons.

I have 3 reasons - Trapper John was my favorite character on the great, old TV sitcom "M*A*S*H; I've been live-TRAPping a lot of varmints and other critters on our property here and my wife came up wife this use; and I shoot TRAP (clay pigeons) on a regular basis at our local gun club...

While the name conjurs up images of a cantankerous, grizzled, flea-bitten old Mountain Man (thus evoking an avoidance-response in some yuppies & other "city-folk"), I assure you that I'm a highly refined, cultured, superbly educated - and sensitive - gentleman of leisure.

Now let's eat!

One of the more profound things you've ever uttered.... laugh

Edited by TrapperJohn (08/06/14 05:29 AM)

#2311853 - 08/06/14 07:20 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
GeorgeSchiro Offline

First, I must say that even after all of the thoughtful explanations, I still don't really understand the need for anonymity, but that's my problem no one else's.

All of this nonsense started here:

I have little doubt you have identified yourself
somewhere in your 4000+ posts. But please save me
the trouble so that I may refer to you by your real name.
I feel that if we were neighbors in the real world, you,
me and our wives might enjoy sharing time together.
My name is George. What is yours?

I think some folks may have been concerned I was after their names, social security numbers, credit card numbers, etc. I was only hoping for a first name. To me it just seems more friendly - more human - to refer to a person by his or her real first name.

#2311862 - 08/06/14 08:12 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]

Because of this, I don't want to create any problems, I have decided to allow guys who want to address me by my real first name [which is ******], to do so.

I absolutely insist however that the ladies here continue to address me by my real last name which is Mr. Super.....well, you know the rest.

Dear Mr Super-Hunky, well this creates a conundrum...now those who were trying to hide behind non-gender-specific names will give the game away if they call you by your first name, ....or maybe they will be pretending to be ladies and address you as Mr.Super-Hunky (for obvious reasons, I don't abbreviate your name smile ) ---- or maybe the women will pretend to be men and call you by your first name....
How can we trust anything or anyone from here on in --- oh dear, what a kettle of fish!

#2311895 - 08/06/14 10:30 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Actually, I have no way of knowing GeorgeSchiro is a real name smile

I have several friends with nicknames - Sonny is one, and was rather common back in the 40s. It's his real name to me.

And casinitaly is a real name to me, too. A nickname, but a real name. And TJ, and super-hunky, and earlofmar, and Morodiene, and FarmGirl - they're all real names and real people to me.

So, even tho I sign "Cathy" on my posts, most people here call me jotur. That feels like a real name, and an affectionate nick name, actually. I've had nicknames in other activities before - cj, jo, squatty body laugh , - and they've all felt like "in-crowd" nick names, as does jotur feel like my PW in-crowd nickname.

May you never been stalked, either online or off or both, GeorgeSchiro. I wasn't, but as I said, I have a family member who was. The stalker was perfectly capable of finding *me* and deducing things about where my family member was from posts here.

And lots of times it's about simple privacy. There are lots of things I don't share with anybody and everybody, whether those body's are contra dancers, piano players, work colleagues, clients, etc. You say you are new to forum posting - perhaps new enough online with not much of a presence online, or old enough, to not know just how ubiquitous your information is, and how easy it is for folks to connect the dots. And some of those folks aren't savory. Some are just snoopy and nosey - Frank's pretty good about the ads and stuff here, but it's amazing to me how many ads pop up even on my e-mail sidebar that show that some snoop knows something about where I've been on the internet. Bugs me smile

And, just for a real life example or two - one of my posts here at PW showed up on a home school site as if I was endorsing a particular piano product. I was miffed enough without it having had my "real name" associated with it. It certainly didn't have my permission. And one person here who posted under her real name had her name show up online in a student's "research" paper about online behavior. Talk about an invasion of privacy. Particularly since the description wasn't flattering :|

And I list what city I live in, a fact that everyone who knows me off PW knows. You list "Florida" - do you not tell every random stranger what city you live in?

Yeah, it's a hot button for me. It doesn't, in fact, seem "friendlier" to me to know what you think of as someone's "real" name. Or to essentially make it known that you think others aren't being "friendly". Even if you eventually say you know that's just you.

Every group, whether contra dancers, miata car owners who race SCCA, ski racers, bowlers, or PW posters, has its own cultural mores. And on PW we've gotten to know each other by whatever names we post under, and what our posts are.

And the scammers and trolls give themselves away pretty fast laugh .

So I have huge respect for Mr. Super-Hunky, and I'd be disconcerted if you started calling him only by what he's "said" is his real name (what if it's really Maurice? how would you know?) in posts here. It would be like calling Sonny Maurice - who the heck is that?

The real proof of the pudding isn't in what name they have chosen to post under - in most cases you don't have a clue if GeorgeSchiro is a "real name", whatever that is. The real proof of the pudding is in their posts. And S-H, and Peyton, and cas, and earl, and AndyPlatt, and all, whatever name it is, are great folks.

Squatty Body

Edited by jotur (08/06/14 10:48 AM)
Edit Reason: its, not it's :D

#2311925 - 08/06/14 12:31 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wjf Offline

Loc: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Having just joined the forum yesterday, I stumbled across this thread and would like submit an mp3 for the recital. Is it acceptable to submit a recording with accompaniment?

My piano teacher has been trying to teach me jazz and started me using the iRealPro program that generates a bass and percussion line. This has been so much more pleasant than practicing with a metronome, and it even sounds pretty good. I mix this together with the audio output from my Roland and capture it through a USB interface onto Logic Pro on my Macintosh.

It's really me on the keyboard, but it sounds like a piano bar trio. Is this ok for the recital?

...Bill

#2311931 - 08/06/14 12:43 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum!

Yes, it is ok to submit with accompaniment - ther are several folks who do that regularly. Ideally the focus will be on the piano part smile

#2311941 - 08/06/14 01:28 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: casinitaly]
wjf Offline

Loc: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Thanks, Casinitaly!

Yes, It will be focussed on the piano with the accompaniment mixed down. I look forward to taking part in this forum.

...Bill

Edited by wjf (08/06/14 02:15 PM)

#2311980 - 08/06/14 03:24 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
1000 Post Club Member

What is it that the more you listen to your own recording the worse it becomes frown

#2311994 - 08/06/14 03:59 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
To me it just seems more friendly - more human - to refer to a person by his or her real first name.

My first name is somewhat uncommon, so I'm not comfortable sharing even that part of my name. Jotur addressed most of the things I would be concerned about, and her posts speak to most of my own reasons for keeping my name out of public posts, so I won't repeat those points. But I just want to say that to me it seems more friendly, and more considerate, to refer to people by whatever name they ask to be referred to as.

#2312011 - 08/06/14 04:40 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wimpiano]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

What is it that the more you listen to your own recording the worse it becomes frown

That's just how it is...I cannot listen to mine anymore wink

I guess the proper explanation is that you start anticipating the things you know are coming that aren't quite perfect and they gradually grow out of proportion in your mind...

#2312054 - 08/06/14 06:23 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: jotur]
GeorgeSchiro Offline

But I just want to say that to me it seems more friendly, and more considerate, to refer to people by whatever name they ask to be referred to as.

With this sentiment, I couldn't agree more. If **** had said "Just call me Mr. Super-Hunky", that (or SH for short) is what I would do.

Please call me "George" or "Geo".

Yeah, it's a hot button for me. It doesn't, in fact, seem "friendlier" to me to know what you think of as someone's "real" name. Or to essentially make it known that you think others aren't being "friendly". Even if you eventually say you know that's just you.

You seem angry. I apologize for making you feel that way. It is a fact that in the real world I also sometimes rub people the wrong way. That is the real me.

I am simply doing here what I do everywhere else. I am extending a hand in friendship and letting you know how my friends and family know me. No offense was intended. I assumed others would feel the same way.

I would like to continue this dialog, but I don't wish to upset you any further. May I call you "Cathy"?

#2312090 - 08/06/14 07:38 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: GeorgeSchiro]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I would like to continue this dialog, but I don't wish to upset you any further. May I call you "Cathy"?

99% of the time, I'd rather be jotur to you smile There are occasions when people address me as Cathy, and they seem to have a sense about when that works and it when it doesn't, and then it works for me. But if one has yet to acquire that sense, I'd rather be jotur.

Thanks for asking.

Cathy

#2312124 - 08/06/14 09:37 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: jotur]
GeorgeSchiro Offline

99% of the time, I'd rather be jotur to you smile There are occasions when people address me as Cathy, and they seem to have a sense about when that works and it when it doesn't, and then it works for me. But if one has yet to acquire that sense, I'd rather be jotur.

Ok, "jotur" it is.

First, I use the term "real name" in the most common colloquial sense. To me your "real name" is the one your parents gave you, the name your friends in the real world know you by.

Suppose I meet someone new (in the real world), someone who calls me "Mr. Schiro." If we seem to have something to share and I decide I would like to get to know that person better, I will typically ask them to please call me "George." Then I will ask for their first name as well.

That's all I am doing here.

Of course, with your understanding that most folks wish to hide their identity online, I can certainly understand your skepticism. No matter what I say you may think you still won't know who I am. That is perfectly understandable.

But that's not my outlook.

For example, I know it's possible that Mr. Super-Hunky is pulling my leg. But I always give people the benefit of the doubt. I choose to believe that most people are basically kind and honorable and they make the choice to tell the truth.

Could Mr. Super-Hunky be pretending his initials are "BS"? Of course, but I choose to believe otherwise. In other words, by default, until proven otherwise, I have faith in humanity - and that includes him.

Earlier I wrote:

I didn't mean I have never participated in an online forum before. On the contrary, I have done so extensively, but always as someone reporting facts or offering opinions about local politics.

What I meant is that never before have I interacted online this way while also endeavoring to develop relationships with new people sharing a common special interest.

Actually, I have no way of knowing GeorgeSchiro is a real name smile ... And I list what city I live in, a fact that everyone who knows me off PW knows. You list "Florida" - do you not tell every random stranger what city you live in?

Actually, you do have a way of knowing. There are multiple ways.

Here's my address:

7036 Buttonbush Loop
Harmony, FL 34773

Feel free to look up my Osceola County tax records to verify that someone with my name owns the house at the above address.

Here's my profile on Amazon.com:

http://amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AUHND6507QOX9

You can get some idea about me from my reviews.

Here's more about me that I posted in the Harmony newsgroup a couple of years ago (it even includes a not-so-high fidelity recording):

Full Disclosure
http://tinyurl.com/838w636

Here are a few articles I have written for the local newspaper:

Op-Ed: What kind of people - part 2
http://tinyurl.com/qxdb4p3

Op-Ed: The 'best' for our children?
http://tinyurl.com/meozjah

Op-Ed: Students in pursuit of honor
http://tinyurl.com/kut3x64

Here are a few articles written by others about my son:

Gateway graduate recognized as county's top national merit scholar
http://tinyurl.com/kug8ue6

Gateway High student breaks SAT record
http://tinyurl.com/l4aobou

Duke honors math and science whiz
http://tinyurl.com/l29hqtk

And if that's not enough, you have my permission to ask Frank (Mr. Piano World) to confirm that the name on the credit card used to donate money to this site matches my name in this forum.

Hopefully you can better understand my position now. What I am doing here is just being myself, as I have always done online.

So I have huge respect for Mr. Super-Hunky, and I'd be disconcerted if you started calling him only by what he's "said" is his real name (what if it's really Maurice? how would you know?) in posts here.

So try not to get upset every time I address *** as ***. And please believe me when I tell you that it is not my intention to offend you whenever I do.

Edited by casinitaly (08/09/14 04:46 AM)

#2312132 - 08/06/14 09:50 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
noobpianist90 Offline

Hi George.

I understand completely what you're saying. You identify "real world" names to "real people", and are a little uncomfortable using "nicknames" to identify with "real people".

Names are only labels used to identify who we are and compartmentalize information inside our head. Which label you use is up to you, and nicknames/usernames are just a creative way to label ourselves. It is fine if you do not feel comfortable with it right now, it will probably grow on you in time.

Is there any solid, logical reason why we cannot become good friends by using labels other than what was given to us when we were born?

PS: I would edit out the address details if I were you.

#2312134 - 08/06/14 09:52 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: GeorgeSchiro]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Of course, with your understanding that most folks wish to hide their identity online,

I don't believe I said that smile

Cathy

#2312140 - 08/06/14 10:13 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
George, I totally understand where you are coming from and share many of your feelings. But I do need to warn you. As I mentioned earlier, I too use my real name and have my web site posted with available contact info. But I do it with the knowledge that you take a chance. Here is the scenario... and this is true. Years ago, on another web site, I used my real name and got into political discussions. One of the other "anonymous" posters did not like what I was saying and attacked me personally on the forum. He brought up my business (it was a telemark ski school) and said some extremely nasty things. Sticks and stones right? Well the problem is that when something is said on the web, as Wooter said, it stays on the web. For quite a while when my business was googled, what that person had said would come up. They were all total lies but that didn't matter. And I had no recourse. So, as I mentioned earlier, the lesson I learned is that if you are going to identify yourself on the web it's best to not make waves. People hiding behind anonymous names can say what ever they want about you and can do some serious damage.

#2312147 - 08/06/14 10:23 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: noobpianist90]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Names are only labels used to identify who we are and compartmentalize information inside our head. Which label you use is up to you, and nicknames/usernames are just a creative way to label ourselves. It is fine if you do not feel comfortable with it right now, it will probably grow on you in time.

Case in point is a recent conversation I had with someone I knew under a different name at another website and hadn't run into in 5 years. The labels didn't stop me from recognizing him:

Oh, and BTW, I'm pretty sure you weren't called Rerun at PM and I know who you are. (still watching "Buddy Ebsen" rerun?) smile

Originally Posted By: Rerun

haven't even seen a Buddy Ebsen movie/sitcom listed in ages. Btw, don't you have a piano he owned?

Originally Posted By: starrkeys
Had. It was stolen. A long story I'd rather forget, but one that Buddy would have appreciated...

Originally Posted By: Rerun
I was Rerun here before I was Popeye over there....

Before my time. You must not have been that active after I started participating here in 2010, otherwise I would have noticed you (different name or not).

Couldn't resist smile

#2312169 - 08/06/14 11:17 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MandyD Offline

George you are much braver than me. I use my real name on this forum (but not another horse one I go to which I have made so many friends from over the years), but there is no way I would ever post my address so publicly. Via PM certainly if I needed to correspond with someone, but not in an open thread. I admire your openness (I am an open person myself) but please consider the safety of your children and wife if not yourself. I would like to believe that most people are decent but unfortunately they aren't, and there are some very ill individuals in this world. On another note, are you making a submission for this recital?

#2312174 - 08/06/14 11:47 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
dpaws Offline

laugh yippie I'm in at number 27.

XXXV

#2312179 - 08/06/14 11:54 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Yea, dpaws! Joplin! I'm looking forward to hearing your piece.

Cathy

#2312201 - 08/07/14 01:17 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: jotur]
dpaws Offline

Thanks, jotur! Please just forgive the creaky out-of-tune piano. Though, some people at the Joplin Themed Recital thought it sounded good on my out-of-tune piano, so, maybe it's OK.

AudreyJean, you wrote:
Quote:
Dpaws, how great to hear you're working on Searchlight too! If there's any way I can hear you when you're ready to play it in public, I would very much enjoy that.

Here it is! I hope you like it! Thanks.

XXXV

#2312213 - 08/07/14 02:58 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
1000 Post Club Member

Hi George,

I hope you do realize that for somebody with some knowledge of computers it is now very easy to steal your identity. If I wish I could and it would cost me less than a day.

#2312236 - 08/07/14 04:43 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]

Ok,.... can we get this thread back on track now please - enough discussion about who is who and why they choose to use a nickname.

That's how the internet works. People use nicknames.

Let's get back on track and talk about the RECITAL.

George - I strongly advise you to remove your personal data from your post - it is really a BAD idea to post so much info. If you are no longer able to edit your post, I'll do it for you.

#2312246 - 08/07/14 05:12 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: jotur]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cathy

Einaudi 1 - 1 Joplin grin

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2312260 - 08/07/14 06:25 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: MandyD]
GeorgeSchiro Offline

On another note, are you making a submission for this recital?

I'm #10. Coincidentally, the piece aurally resembles the discord we've been having here.

#2312262 - 08/07/14 06:30 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wimpiano]
GeorgeSchiro Offline

I hope you do realize that for somebody with some knowledge of computers it is now very easy to steal your identity. If I wish I could and it would cost me less than a day.

That would be great! Please report your findings. I will report any strangeness I witness from this end. This could be a good learning experience for all concerned. Thank you!

Edited by GeorgeSchiro (08/07/14 06:40 AM)
Edit Reason: Changed "This is could" to "This could."

#2312264 - 08/07/14 06:38 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: casinitaly]
GeorgeSchiro Offline

George - I strongly advise you to remove your personal data from your post - it is really a BAD idea to post so much info. If you are no longer able to edit your post, I'll do it for you.

Now that is interesting! Are you an SA on this site? Good to know! If I lose my password, will be able to recover it for me?

Please show me what you mean. "casinitaly" was not able to edit this sentence for me.

Can you remove the word "not" from the previous sentence?

#2312278 - 08/07/14 07:23 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: GeorgeSchiro]
sinophilia Offline

Okay now I'm confused George. Are you here to discuss music and piano as most of us ? Or else what are you trying to prove?

Btw, I have the same identity in all of my Internet "incarnations" and it's very easy to find my full name, professional Website etc., because I don't have nothing to hide, BUT I wouldn't dream of publishing my personal phone number or address. Personal data are precious for businesses, and I already get too many advertising. One of the reasons why I don't have a door bell in my house and I rarely answer the phone.

Edited by sinophilia (08/07/14 07:30 AM)

#2312300 - 08/07/14 08:03 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: GeorgeSchiro]

Now that is interesting! Are you an SA on this site? Good to know! If I lose my password, will be able to recover it for me?

Please show me what you mean. "casinitaly" was not able to edit this sentence for me.

Can you remove the word "not" from the previous sentence?

George, I'm a moderator, I can edit any posts in the ABF forum. I could actually remove all the text from all your posts.

I can not help you if you lose your password.

If you wish to remove the personal info from your post but are unable to do so, I will do it on your behalf - send me a private message. I strongly recommend this course of action. It is really quite unwise to put all your info in one place like that.

EVERYONE --please do NOT continue this discussion in this thread. Let's keep this ON TRACK and about the RECITAL.

Enough about names already.

#2312312 - 08/07/14 08:23 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MandyD Offline

I think I nearly have my little piece down pat to record, but I'm hoping that the MIDI to USB cable shows up in time. I ordered it early in the week so hopefully it will come tomorrow or early next week and I can start working out how to save the music to the computer. smile If not does anyone know if I can record and save it with an iPad?

#2312313 - 08/07/14 08:26 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: MandyD]

I think I nearly have my little piece down pat to record, but I'm hoping that the MIDI to USB cable shows up in time. I ordered it early in the week so hopefully it will come tomorrow or early next week and I can start working out how to save the music to the computer. smile If not does anyone know if I can record and save it with an iPad?

My friend has done videos of us playing on her ipad - you'd then need to use an audio extractor program - there are some on line for free - and then upload the extracted mp3 file.

I use this one (though not with an ipad) :

http://www.aoamedia.com/audioextractor.htm

If you want to use the video with your submission too, that's an option, but the primary submission file has to be audio only, not video.

#2312320 - 08/07/14 08:34 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MandyD Offline

Thanks so much for that casinitaly. I might experiment with that tomorrow, but I think I'll pass on the video. I think it's scary enough submitting something that's completely audio little own having people look at my unco-ordinated hands fumbling to try to find the right keys lol.

#2312342 - 08/07/14 09:14 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: MandyD]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

MandyD,

I've used a recording app called Hi-Q MP3 Recorder on my android based tablet and on my android phone. Works great and simple to use. I would guess the same app is available in Apple's ecosystem. MP3 Recorder as a search term will get plenty of app store hits.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2312373 - 08/07/14 10:30 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: CarlosCC]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC

Cathy

laugh

Cathy

#2312471 - 08/07/14 02:31 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: jotur]
dpaws Offline

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC

Cathy

laugh

Cathy

Uh oh! I didn't mean to start a feud. laugh

XXXV

#2312479 - 08/07/14 02:47 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ugh! I'm trying to get my Einaudi piece ready for recording.... we'll see if I can actually contribute to the feud or not....

#2312497 - 08/07/14 03:23 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: dpaws]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Uh oh! I didn't mean to start a feud. laugh

"The race is on and here comes pride up the back stretch. . ."

Cathy

#2312535 - 08/07/14 04:34 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: jotur]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Quote:
"The race is on and here comes pride up the back stretch. . ."

"The race is on and here comes Clyde up the back stretch. . ." grin

Edited by Rerun (08/07/14 04:43 PM)

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2312537 - 08/07/14 04:36 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Who's Clyde? laugh You know, Heartache's going to the inside. . .

Cathy

#2312539 - 08/07/14 04:39 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: jotur]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

The guy chasing "Toothache". cry

Edited by Rerun (08/07/14 04:43 PM)

#2312559 - 08/07/14 05:26 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

laugh

Cathy

#2312674 - 08/07/14 09:36 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I think my Joplin piece is ready to record, but I need to find a quiet time in the house. Maybe I'll kick everybody out for a few hours on Saturday.

#2312748 - 08/08/14 01:37 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: MaryBee]
Jayden Offline

Originally Posted By: MaryBee
I think my Joplin piece is ready to record, but I need to find a quiet time in the house. Maybe I'll kick everybody out for a few hours on Saturday.

As long as the time limit doesn't make you more nervous to get the recording done in time eek

#2312767 - 08/08/14 02:51 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: ShiroKuro]
phacke Offline

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014

Loc: CO, USA
gone

Edited by phacke (08/08/14 03:03 AM)

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
G. F. Händel: Suite in G minor (HWV 452)
J. S. Bach, Sonata No. 1 in B minor (BWV 1014) duet with violin

#2312827 - 08/08/14 07:54 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hey JimF - looking forward to hearing your version of that old pop standard "It's All in the Game" ("Many a tear has to fall, but it's all...") - always liked that song - Brook Benton, wasn't it?

I also notice that George S.'s piece is entitled "Dissonance", which seems perfectly appropriate... wink

I'm in at No. 26 with a Phantom piece...hope it will never haunt your opera house!

#2312841 - 08/08/14 08:19 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: TrapperJohn]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn
Hey JimF - looking forward to hearing your version of that old pop standard "It's All in the Game" ("Many a tear has to fall, but it's all...") - always liked that song - Brook Benton, wasn't it?

I also notice that George S.'s piece is entitled "Dissonance", which seems perfectly appropriate... wink

I'm in at No. 26 with a Phantom piece...hope it will never haunt your opera house!

Cliff Richard sang that on the b side of one of his earlier songs. You yanks won't have heard of him of course. We don't hear him either since our DJs have banned his songs. For irritating people since nobody's been able to scandalise him!

Spare a thought for George. It's hard being an ole fella at times. . .

""

#2312949 - 08/08/14 12:21 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
It was a struggle, but I finally got a recording I liked! Was close to deciding to submit an older Einaudi recording (it's Lanz now). I'll try not to skip any recitals anymore.

#2312993 - 08/08/14 02:09 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
I'm debating whether to submit Chopin. My piano hasn't been tuned since November, and it's definitely audible ...

#2313016 - 08/08/14 02:56 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
1000 Post Club Member

@Saranoya, I wouldn't worry a second about it. It's not like it's a recital for pianotuners right?

#2313059 - 08/08/14 04:11 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wim: No, but it helps a lot to have the tools sharpened and it pleases the listeners a lot too. But agreed, worrying won't help it either wink

#2313066 - 08/08/14 04:19 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
1000 Post Club Member

Agreed. Good idea to have a tuner over anyway. But still, don't let it keep you from submitting..

#2313091 - 08/08/14 05:01 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: TrapperJohn]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Tommy Edwards recorded the first hit version in the early 50's and then again with a stereo recording later in the decade. Dozens of performers have covered it, including Louis Armstrong, Dinah Shore, The Four Tops, Nat King Cole, Van Morrison, and of course, Keith Jarrett.( edit: as Peter says, Cliff Richards had a big hit with it in the UK) Don't know about Benton.

The music was actually written in 1911 by Charles Dawes, a Chicago banker who would later go on to be Vice President of the US under Coolidge. Some years later it was picked up by several of the big bands including Tommy Dorsey's. The Carl Sigman lyrics were first added in 1951, around the time of Edwards' first recording.

[most of this comes from wiki, which has a pretty extensive writeup]

Edited by JimF (08/08/14 05:07 PM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#2313129 - 08/08/14 07:15 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Saranoya]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Saranoya
I'm debating whether to submit Chopin. My piano hasn't been tuned since November, and it's definitely audible ...

Hopefully you will submit as we have not heard you play in a while. No pressure but after the wonderful Moonlight Sonata submission, I am expecting great things lol.

#2313131 - 08/08/14 07:21 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: peterws]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws

Cliff Richard sang that on the b side of one of his earlier songs. You yanks won't have heard of him of course.

Sure we have - he's that senile, frail, foul-mouthed old doper who plays drums for the Rolling Stones...isn't he? laugh

BTW, thanks Jim for all the info thumb

Edited by TrapperJohn (08/08/14 07:22 PM)

#2313144 - 08/08/14 07:47 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
piano_primo_1 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA
Hello,
I just submitted “The Long and Winding Road” - Casio PX 100 ,- piano and string .
I‘ll probably do a resubmit, a late start here; If I can (lack of time).
I put the video up and art piece I made with it, for effect. It reminds me of the the song.

#2313166 - 08/08/14 08:40 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: TrapperJohn]
MandyD Offline

Cliff Richard sang that on the b side of one of his earlier songs. You yanks won't have heard of him of course.

Sure we have - he's that senile, frail, foul-mouthed old doper who plays drums for the Rolling Stones...isn't he? laugh

Obviously your not "Wired for Sound" or one of the "Young Ones" lol. My mother would have a fit at Cliff and Keith being compared to each other. laugh Just so you know what you have missed out on your whole life I've put this link up for you, it's truly a cringe worthy experience to watch it. It also remind us to NEVER bring back lycra!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V57eqtN2K7E

Also I look forward to hearing The Long and Winding Road (which incidently was another of my mothers favourites).

Edited by MandyD (08/08/14 08:48 PM)

#2313187 - 08/08/14 09:13 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: MandyD]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Obviously your not "Wired for Sound" or one of the "Young Ones" lol. My mother would have a fit at Cliff and Keith being compared to each other. laugh Just so you know what you have missed out on your whole life I've put this link up for you, it's truly a cringe worthy experience to watch it. It also remind us to NEVER bring back lycra!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V57eqtN2K7E

Charlie Watts is the drummer for the Rolling Stones but Keith fits the description.

In the words of Rick (The Young Ones: When Cliff Richard wrote "Wired for Sound", no way was he sitting on a clean lavatory.

OMG we are way off topic again, we are all in troubbbbbbble

#2313291 - 08/09/14 06:05 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: ShiroKuro]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ugh! I'm trying to get my Einaudi piece ready for recording.... we'll see if I can actually contribute to the feud or not....

One more Einaudi piece? laugh

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2313302 - 08/09/14 06:59 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: earlofmar]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

OMG we are way off topic again, we are all in troubbbbbbble

Nahhh - it's ok to be "off topic" as long as you're not aggitating, harrassing, intimidating or offending...or saying nasty things about the Royal Family!

But, what was the Topic again? laugh

#2313314 - 08/09/14 07:35 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: TrapperJohn]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
...or saying nasty things about the Royal Family!

Yikes, thanks for the reminder, I was gonna check the latest news out of NATO. grin

Edited by Rerun (08/09/14 07:48 AM)

#2313767 - 08/10/14 10:00 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
So I'm back in town, and it looks like we've got a good recital shaping up. smile (Looks like I also missed out on a controversy or two, which I will address only to say that I can neither confirm nor deny that Super-Hunky and I are the same person. wink )

Anyway, it doesn't look like anybody has had any problems getting their recordings uploaded. (Getting them made is another matter entirely, and out of my hands. laugh )

And now I just have to figure out what the heck *I'm* going to submit. eek

#2313873 - 08/10/14 03:49 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Monica K.]
piano_primo_1 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA
quote=Monica K.
So I'm back in town, ............. I also missed out on a controversy or two, which I will address only to say that I can neither confirm nor deny that Super-Hunky and I are the same person. ;) ) .........................

Hmmmmmmmm, Peaks my curiosity, I'll have to call on Mr. Bond, ........James Bond.

#2313980 - 08/10/14 09:26 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Finally in, at number #34. My true age!! Well, it was once anyway ...

Kawai K3

#2314295 - 08/11/14 07:34 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
PikaPianist Offline

Loc: Brisbane
In at number 37! Looking forward to everyone's performances smile

Kawai CS6 digital piano
My channel: www.youtube.com/user/Darkalus

#2314404 - 08/12/14 07:01 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: PikaPianist]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Whew! I am finally in at 38. I have been out of town for several weeks and had to wait for my piano to be tuned before I could submit. Now I can kick back and wait for the 15th!

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2314584 - 08/12/14 03:09 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Copper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
I'm in, #40.

It's good to see everyone.

#2314690 - 08/12/14 07:40 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Tom Christian Offline

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado
I'm in at #42 with my first recital. Ever. I’m certain that it's no coincidence that the number 42 appears in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as the "Answer to The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything."

Now I'm just hoping that I won't be drummed off the "piano" forum for my choice of instruments. :-)

Tom

XXXV

#2314692 - 08/12/14 07:44 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Tom - did you build your harpsichord?

Cathy

#2314694 - 08/12/14 07:54 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Tom Christian Offline

> ...did you build your harpsichord?

Yes, save for the artwork on the lid. That was done by a local artist (Gale Whitman) here in Fort Collins. The usual figure quoted for this project is 400 hours, and that's probably accurate. And that's not to say that it can be completed in ten 40-hour weeks. It's more like a one-year project, especially if you also have a full-time job. Among other things, you have to wait for glue and seemingly countless layers of hand-rubbed enamel to dry.

Next project up is a clavichord (1782 Hubert) but I'm still waiting on parts.

Tom
XXXV

#2314713 - 08/12/14 09:07 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Looking forward to hearing your harpsichord in action Tom

#2314761 - 08/13/14 12:09 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Whew! Squeaked in with a day to spare at #44. (+1 for Joplin!)

#2314778 - 08/13/14 12:57 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MandyD Offline

I give up. frown I've spent all afternoon continuously pressing that red button and then trying to save my MIDI file into a MP3 one, which I can not for the life of me work out how to do. It sounds awful anyway so I think I'll just concentrate on the next recital.

#2314796 - 08/13/14 02:16 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Tom Christian]
sinophilia Offline

Originally Posted By: Tom Christian

Now I'm just hoping that I won't be drummed off the "piano" forum for my choice of instruments. :-)

Of course not, especially since you're playing Bach on it! If it was Chopin, maybe someone would have complained wink

#2314802 - 08/13/14 02:47 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Tom Christian]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yes

Cool! You may be the first one here playing the recital on his own-built instrument

#2314805 - 08/13/14 02:59 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
1000 Post Club Member

I agree, really cool! And it looks marvelous.

#2314823 - 08/13/14 03:40 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Tom Christian]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'm in at #42 with my first recital. Ever. I’m certain that it's no coincidence that the number 42 appears in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as the "Answer to The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything."

Tom

Well, it looks a bit like a piano. . .has it got Vox Continental keys?

""

#2314829 - 08/13/14 04:28 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AndrewJCW Offline

Loc: Middle of nowhere, Australia
Submitted! Damn good thing I submitted and THEN checked out the last recital, because you guys are using an extremely loose definition of the word beginner and I probably wouldn't have submitted if I realised what sort of standard is expected!

Anyway, I had fun. I (inevitably) didn't do my overly ambitious piece that I said would do a month ago when i heard about the recital. I probably could have made a decent go at it (ok maybe not - I can dream right?) if I worked on it everyday, but alas as an actual beginner I have 20 bazillion things to work on and I don't think it would be smart to dedicate so much time to a piece out of my ability when I should be just working on hard but doable ones to increase my ability.

On the bright side I'm number 45 I think, so most people will probably have fallen asleep by the time they get to mine.

#2314840 - 08/13/14 05:31 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
1000 Post Club Member

@AndrewJCW. There's definitely early beginners among the submissions (such as myself). Others are quite a bit more advanced but still, it is fun to participate.

#2314844 - 08/13/14 06:16 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AndrewJCW]
sinophilia Offline

No worries, there is absolutely no standard! And nobody will criticise your performance, not even if it was terrible. Maybe someone will provide very kind suggestions on how to improve on it, but nothing more than that. Judging from your videos, you will only get praise.

#2314845 - 08/13/14 06:16 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wimpiano]
Jayden Offline

@AndrewJCW. There's definitely early beginners among the submissions (such as myself). Others are quite a bit more advanced but still, it is fun to participate.

Me too. Only 7-8 months. So don't worry there's plenty of us actual beginners.

#2314848 - 08/13/14 06:23 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: MandyD]
barbaram Offline

I give up. frown I've spent all afternoon continuously pressing that red button and then trying to save my MIDI file into a MP3 one, which I can not for the life of me work out how to do. It sounds awful anyway so I think I'll just concentrate on the next recital.

Hi Mandy, that sounds incredibly frustrating - especially if you had actually managed to make a recording you were reasonably happy with! Did you try the approach described here:
http://www.pianoclues.com/2008/03/11/how-to-convert-midi-files-to-mp3-and-make-them-sound-good/
I record line out rather than midi, but the instructions I followed were from this site.

#2314849 - 08/13/14 06:24 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Jayden]
barbaram Offline

Originally Posted By: Jayden

Me too. Only 7-8 months. So don't worry there's plenty of us actual beginners.

There are all levels, which makes for a super recital listening experience in my view. Everyone at every level is welome!

Edited by barbaram (08/13/14 06:25 AM)
Edit Reason: to include the quoted posts

#2314860 - 08/13/14 07:03 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MandyD Offline

Done! I'm number 46. It's not very good I'm afraid (in fact bordering on awful might be more appropriate lol) but the main thing is I'm glad I finally figured out how to get it on here. I've really enjoyed learning a new song and participating as I never imagined I would ever do anything like this.

#2314866 - 08/13/14 07:16 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: MandyD]
noobpianist90 Offline

Done! I'm number 46. It's not very good I'm afraid (in fact bordering on awful might be more appropriate lol)
Don't worry about it. Mine is pretty bad as well smile

#2314868 - 08/13/14 07:19 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Glad you made it MandyD

Edited by earlofmar (08/13/14 07:19 AM)

#2314876 - 08/13/14 07:39 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AZ_Astro Offline

My first submission (in a themed recital) was, what, two years ago now?

Lots of improvement since then! In fact the improvement in everyones' play is there to see over time.

Just participating has taught me to work through the details of recording and get used to that process. Plus we listen to our own play much more closely.

It's all good!

Edited by AZ_Astro (08/13/14 07:40 AM)

#2314913 - 08/13/14 09:29 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: MandyD]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Done! I'm number 46 ...
I'm glad I finally figured out how to get it on here. I've really enjoyed learning a new song and participating as I never imagined I would ever do anything like this.

Me too ...
Another piece recorded now. Normally that would mean another piece in the line up, but I'm afraid this one will need considerable more work and will remain in practice for quite some time.

Everyone from 44 and up will jump a spot this evening. I know I will need to accept issues with my recording, but the one submitted last night has far too many. I will do better this evening ... is the goal now.

What a great line up, again. I'm looking forward to another great show.

#2314921 - 08/13/14 09:58 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: MandyD]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Done! I'm number 46.

Mandy, good for you for sticking with it. One thing you will probably realize eventually is that most of us are never all that satisfied with our submissions. Your adult beginner ear has been a discerning judge of music all your life, whereas your playing skills are just starting out. This gap will likely always be present.....well at least for me it will. Nothing for it but to get on with things and give yourself some slack.

Well done for getting your submission in thumb

Estonia L190 #7284

#2314932 - 08/13/14 10:18 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Tom Christian Offline

> has it got Vox Continental keys?

I had to look that one up!

I'd say that was improbable in the extreme. :-)

Tom
XXXV

#2314950 - 08/13/14 10:49 AM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Tom Christian]
barbaram Offline

Tom

Quite the reverse! I can't wait to hear this in action!

#2315044 - 08/13/14 03:39 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
paul1971 Offline

hello everyone.i have finally submitted a piece at number 48 it was very hard work getting it done and i have been extremely stressed by the whole experience. i look forward to listening to everybody's pieces of music.

#2315077 - 08/13/14 04:57 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Tom Christian Offline

> ...it was very hard work getting it done and i have been extremely stressed by the whole experience.

Somehow, I get the feeling that your experience was not unique. :-)
XXXV

#2315090 - 08/13/14 05:20 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Tom Christian]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
OK, several dumb questions coming.

First, I just submitted a piece (must have been a moment of insanity, I've been only at this for 10 months).

The confirmation email that I got back does not reference what "number" I am. Is that coming later?

Next, (wait for it...) what happens next?
Upcoming: Faber - Funiculì, Funiculà

#2315097 - 08/13/14 05:29 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: BrianDX]
paul1971 Offline

Originally Posted By: BrianDX
OK, several dumb questions coming.

First, I just submitted a piece (must have been a moment of insanity, I've been only at this for 10 months).

The confirmation email that I got back does not reference what "number" I am. Is that coming later?

Go to http://recitals.pianoworld.com/ at the top go to 'show me' and it shows the list of submissions ure at numerous 49 congrats.

#2315100 - 08/13/14 05:35 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Tom Christian Offline

I can answer part of it:

> The confirmation email that I got back does not reference what "number" I am. Is that coming later?

Go to http://recitals.pianoworld.com/ and click the "Show me..." link in the following line near the top of the page: "There are currently 49 submitted pieces. Show me..."

That will bring up a numbered list of submissions. You are currently #49, but that can change if somebody deletes a piece prior to yours.

As to what happens next, I assume the recital gets added to the others (here) and made live.

Oh, and you have 11% more experience than I do. :-)

Tom
XXXV

#2315104 - 08/13/14 05:51 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Tom Christian]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
Been at it 9 months Tom? wink

Thanks for the info!
Upcoming: Faber - Funiculì, Funiculà

#2315109 - 08/13/14 05:57 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Tom Christian Offline

> Been at it 9 months Tom?

Yep, in total. Back in the Pleistocene I played clarinet, but that's been so long ago that I no longer list it as an instrument that I can play. It also means that I knew the treble clef but was clueless on the bass clef. Since that era, I've had a rewarding career, children, and even grandchildren. Also, of course, the glaciers have finally receded. Now I play the piano. A little bit. :-)

Tom
XXXV

#2315112 - 08/13/14 06:05 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
chopinoholic Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
I'm in at no. 50!

A fatigued recording, with a mistake here and there. But I'm pretty satisfied with the result though. It still needs work, but this draws a good picture of where I am now with the progress. grin

#2315149 - 08/13/14 08:01 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Tom Christian]
jamie_vt Offline

Loc: Hampshire, UK

Yes, save for the artwork on the lid. That was done by a local artist (Gale Whitman) here in Fort Collins. The usual figure quoted for this project is 400 hours, and that's probably accurate. And that's not to say that it can be completed in ten 40-hour weeks. It's more like a one-year project, especially if you also have a full-time job. Among other things, you have to wait for glue and seemingly countless layers of hand-rubbed enamel to dry.

Next project up is a clavichord (1782 Hubert) but I'm still waiting on parts.

Tom

I look forward to hearing the harpsichord this recital and hopefully the clavichord in a future one.

#2315155 - 08/13/14 08:08 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: chopinoholic]
jamie_vt Offline

Loc: Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted By: chopinoholic
I'm in at no. 50!

A fatigued recording, with a mistake here and there. But I'm pretty satisfied with the result though. It still needs work, but this draws a good picture of where I am now with the progress. grin

Since I'm now in at no 50 I assume Greener got a better recording. Unfortunately I don't think rerecording mine will help as each time I record I seem to manage to put extra mistakes in.

#2315159 - 08/13/14 08:23 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: chopinoholic]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: chopinoholic
I'm in at no. 50!

With a Beethoven piece!? Apparently you're "on the wagon"... laugh

#2315164 - 08/13/14 08:40 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
EnGee Offline

Loc: Auckland, NZ
I'm in at number 52 with Overture of The Marriage of Figaro by Mozart smile
Bad timing and dynamics! I have done about 10 takes!! Either the dynamics are good but the timing suffer, or the opposite, or got them done OK but pressing the last key wrong or a combination of the three!
Excellent experience and a good musical mirror reflecting our true ability laugh

#2315170 - 08/13/14 09:03 PM Re: Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions [Re: BrianDX]
Copper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: BrianDX

10 months is plenty.

Next? Something wonderful!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is A443 banned definitively?
by Olek
10/24/14 04:01 AM
Ritmuller Grand Pianos - Help!
by Mike RSA
10/24/14 03:56 AM
J.D.Grandt Bass Strings Opinions Please
by chernobieff
10/23/14 11:48 PM
Which Electronic Sounds & Feels Most Like Real?
by MinstrelandMuse
10/23/14 11:47 PM
fun music theory
by David Farley
10/23/14 07:56 PM
Who's Online
70 registered (beet31425, bjorn of brekkukot, Beemer, AZNpiano, casinitaly, 15 invisible), 1101 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158462 Topics
2327021 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission