Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2309593 - Today at 12:28 AM Roland RD800 initial impressions
fizikisto Online   content

Loc: Hernando, MS
I've been thinking of upgrading my Yamaha P250 for a long while now. Well, I found a good home for it, so it was time. I've had a chance to play the RD800 a few times, and I absolutely fell in love with the action. I came into a bit of extra money this month, so I decided to go for it. My new RD800 arrived yesterday, and I got it set up tonight.

So far I've got about 2 hours behind the keys, and I have some initial impressions. Also, I don't work for Roland or anything, I'm just a customer.

1) I love the action. When Roland says they improved it, they aren't kidding. The let-off is subtle, but super nice feeling. The faux ivory key tops feel awesome. The action is light and quick, but at the same time substantial. It's also very quiet compared to what I'm used to. And it bottoms out very comfortably. Roland has really outdone themselves with this new action.

2) 100 times more levels of sensitivity or whatever? Boy they *really* aren't kidding. My dynamics are all over the place! My Stage 2 is much more forgiving in that regard. That's good though, my technique has obviously gotten sloppy. It's going to take some getting used to. I suspect that it is going to frustrate me for a week or two as I get used to it, but that's a feature not a bug.

3) The pianos sound magnificent, but they're a bit softer (volume wise) than I'm used to, even with the volume way up. I set the key touch control to a lighter setting and that helped a lot. But in terms of the tone, they sound so very nice. And that's just out of the box. I know there are a lot of parameters for me to tweak to make it sound even more beautiful to my tastes.

4) I haven't done much with it, but so far the controls seem very intuitive. I skimmed through the manual and everything seems very straight forward. I set up some splits and layers, and played around with some of the default presets, and everything just works. The Bass sounds are really spectacular by the way, probably underrated on this board. I spent about 5 min looking through the other category, a lot of really good bread and butter sounds there. I really only play piano and a bit of organ, but some of those sounds are so good I'm going to have to explore them.

5) I also spent a few min playing around with the supernatural tone wheel organs. I wish they had put 9 faders on the board to control all the drawbars, rather than just grouping them a few at a time. I'm spoiled with my Stage 2 though, which has incredible organ emulations and incredibly intuitive controls. A lot of boards just have some stock organ sounds with no controls at all.

6)I also played with the tone color control (which opens the drawbars and kicks on the leslie emulation). I thought it seemed kind of gimmicky in the video demos I saw, but it's actually kinda cool. I wonder if you can program which drawbars it pulls out? Probably not I guess, but I need to look into that just in case.

7) The combined pitch bend/mod lever is very clever. I haven't really done anything with it, but it's still clever and I like clever (I know other boards have that kind of design, but I'm used to boards with separate controls for that)

Sadly, I have to go out of town tomorrow, but when I get back next week I'm going to have so much fun. I'm sure I'll find some things I don't like so much. Maybe I'll also find some things that I never knew that I couldn't live without. But for now I'm very pleased with my purchase. Anyway, break time is over, I'm going to go have some more fun before bed.

smile

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2309596 - Today at 12:39 AM Re: Roland RD800 initial impressions [Re: fizikisto]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC.
Hey fizikisto,

Thanks so much for your purchase and I'm glad your initial impressions live up to the hype that I think the RD800 deserves.

To your 2nd point about the sensitivity. Absolutely. The RD doesn't do a good job of hiding any flaws that can creep into one's technique over time just playing a regular 3 level sampled instrument. It really connects well to the sound engine.

Point 3. I am hoping beyond hope that our video editor guy gets the Turbo Start series of video I did earlier this month done and edited soon. It may prove helpful to get you off to a good start when you get back.

Point 4. There are some VERY cool Mellotron tones in there Tron Strings, Tron Choir, Strawberry Flutes, and a few others. There are some awesome choirs (Large Choir is a favourite of mine.)

I hear you on the drawbars. But I guess 4 is better than none. I keep a VK-8M around for that type of control. Been a staple in my rig for quite awhile now.

The tone colour knob can't be programmed for the organs. frown

So glad you're enjoying it early on. I got mine a couple months before it was released and it has seen some serious play time! Every time I sit down at it, the work i SHOULD be doing, ummmmm.....suffers?

Thanks again,

Jay

Edited by Jay Roland (Today at 12:39 AM)

I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. - slowtraveler

#2309599 - Today at 12:54 AM Re: Roland RD800 initial impressions [Re: fizikisto]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
fizikisto, congrats!

You're lucky to have two great stage pianos to play.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2309611 - Today at 01:45 AM Re: Roland RD800 initial impressions [Re: fizikisto]

James

Thanks! I appreciate it smile

Jay

Thanks for the kind words! Roland has done an outstanding job with the RD800. I'll look forward to checking out the video series when it's put up. smile

Warm Regards

#2309694 - Today at 07:56 AM Re: Roland RD800 initial impressions [Re: Jay Roland]
Cessquill Online   content

Hi Jay

Do you know if the drawbars can be controlled over MIDI in any way?

#2309696 - Today at 07:59 AM Re: Roland RD800 initial impressions [Re: fizikisto]

So Pretty too! smile I'm not sure why the image gallery turned the picture sideways, but anyway there's my setup.

#2309758 - 1 minute 5 seconds ago Re: Roland RD800 initial impressions [Re: fizikisto]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
What is the chord chart on the wall, I wonder?

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
120 registered (aesop, 36251, Allard, aDino, ajames, 30 invisible), 1583 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156332 Topics
2296003 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
August Piano Bar, drinks on the house
by Peyton
08/01/14 09:40 AM
I just read this at the Yamaha FAQ website
by BrianDX
08/01/14 09:21 AM
Schimmel DUO piano
by wimpiano
08/01/14 08:56 AM
Feurich 190 cm grand from 1920 - Is it any good?
by pinkfloydhomer
08/01/14 08:16 AM
Who's gigging with MP11
by 36251
08/01/14 07:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission