2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2308811 07/30/14 03:53 AM
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Okay, so I just got really confused while listening to a few recordings while reading the sheet music, and I want to clarify.

Lets say a pieces starts off on "p", and then has a crescendo at one point. So now, after the crescendo, do I continue playing loud or go back to the initial indication of soft?

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
As far as I know you keep playing loud till you hit the decrescendo wink Do you have an example of music that confuses you? (Most music I have has markings for each change in volume).

Came across this thread which asks basically the same:
http://www.talkclassical.com/28277-crescendo-diminuendo.html

There it says to always go back to mf which I find rather odd.

Last edited by wimpiano; 07/30/14 04:12 AM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I'd agree with wimpiano, keep playing at the new volume until you come to another dynamic marking - a decrescendo, a p, etc

[Linked Image]
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by wimpiano
As far as I know you keep playing loud till you hit the decrescendo
But then, the crescendo doesn't exactly specify how loud I should play because there is no dynamic marking after that. It's just a hairpin

Do you have an example of music that confuses you? (Most music I have has markings for each change in volume).
I'm referring to Chopin's mazurka Op 67. No 4. I'll post a picture of the passage in question later, I don't have the sheet with me. I listened to a large number of recordings, and everyone seems to play it differently o_O
Maybe it's also an issue of different editions having different markings?

Came across this thread which asks basically the same:
http://www.talkclassical.com/28277-crescendo-diminuendo.html

There it says to always go back to mf which I find rather odd.
Okay, now I'm confused again.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by noobpianist90
I'm referring to Chopin's mazurka Op 67. No 4. I'll post a picture of the passage in question later, I don't have the sheet with me. I listened to a large number of recordings, and everyone seems to play it differently o_O

Aaaahhh interpretation :)) So nothing is wrong..
There is so much not on the sheets.. like ritenutos before repeating sections and so on..

It's definitely not a matter of different editions.

Last edited by wimpiano; 07/30/14 05:08 AM.
T
T
I would follow wimpiano. If you're in doubt, do what feels/sounds "right". That's the beautiful thing with playing music: you're allowed to do whatever you want to.

N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
There is so much not on the sheets.. like ritenutos before repeating sections and so on..
But there is only so much freedom with interpretation right? Not doing what is mentioned in the sheet... Is that okay?

Originally Posted by tim treford
I would follow wimpiano. If you're in doubt, do what feels/sounds "right". That's the beautiful thing with playing music: you're allowed to do whatever you want to.
Yeah I do that quite often, but it doesn't always work out for those listening grin

Last edited by noobpianist90; 07/30/14 05:41 AM.
But there is only so much freedom with interpretation right? Not doing what is mentioned in the sheet... Is that okay?

Why wouldn't it be? you can't expect every person to ever play a piece to play it exactly the same way every time... nothing new would ever be arranged.

The sheet is there as a guide more than an absolute "you must play like this!" ruling, sure use the sheets as much as you feel necessary they are after all there to help, but peoples interpretation will be different even with identical scores.

Originally Posted by tim treford
Yeah I do that quite often, but it doesn't always work out for those listening grin

Hehehe, I know that feeling smile as long as it's not terrible does it really matter?

Last edited by UKIkarus; 07/30/14 06:04 AM.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by UKIkarus
Why wouldn't it be? you can't expect every person to ever play a piece to play it exactly the same way every time... nothing new would ever be arranged.
Hmmm... I have this notion that when I'm playing something off a sheet music, there is a specific way in which the composer intended it to be played. I have not decided if I want to (try to) play it exactly the way the composer intended or if I should interpret it the way I feel the music. Maybe a bit of both.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
I suppose by the way that these kind of questions where it comes to interpretation and the boundaries of it would be good to post as a question in the Pianist Corner (did I really say that? yes I did wink )

Hmmm... I have this notion that when I'm playing something off a sheet music, there is a specific way in which the composer intended it to be played. I have not decided if I want to (try to) play it exactly the way the composer intended or if I should interpret it the way I feel the music. Maybe a bit of both.

Of course, that is why the sheets are there... but it's still down to you at the end of the day as to how you interpret them or how you decide to play the piece and bring it out smile

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I suppose by the way that these kind of questions where it comes to interpretation and the boundaries of it would be good to post as a question in the Pianist Corner (did I really say that? yes I did wink )

The great piano composers often did, and advised others to do, things quite differently than what is notated in the published scores. Receptivity to this seems to have begun its decline in the early 20th century, and the new idea is that there is an unchanging ideal in classical music corresponding to the published versions. Maybe this went on to peak in the 1950s - 1970s, and recently things have begun to slowly head back the other way.

There aren't as many persons nowadays as when I was growing up who would say everything must be exactly as printed, nothing more and nothing less, at least not with the vehemence I remember, but the notion persists and is dominant in the universities and the music schools.

A thread enquiring about general principles for what constitutes acceptable interpretation of music probably would incite some lively exchanges at the Pianist Corner forum.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Louder usually becomes slower. And softer usually becomes faster. Doing the opposite usually doesn't work very well.

And sometimes the compromise of maintaining an even tempo doesn't work either.

Enjoy

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Perhaps when I understand what exactly it is that I want to ask, then I'll post the question grin

N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Michael Sayers
There aren't as many persons nowadays as when I was growing up who would say everything must be exactly as printed, nothing more and nothing less, at least not with the vehemence I remember, but the notion persists and is dominant in the universities and the music schools.
My exposure to classical music is quite limited, so I'm unaware of the norms and conventions. I'll probably end up doing what I want to do grin, but then again, it's good to know what other people consider to be appropriate and what is too far out of the way.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

If Chopin says make a crescendo, then make a crescendo. That part is his job to tell you. Your job is deciding HOW to crescendo, including how far to crescendo, and then what to do after that. That's what makes the two of you a composer and a performer, not a midi programmer and a computer wink

You can listen to recordings to get ideas, but as you've already noticed, there will be huge differences among pianists. Also with Chopin there are huge differences between editions, so it's good to look at other editions to be aware of the variations.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by hreichgott
Your job is deciding HOW to crescendo, including how far to crescendo, and then what to do after that.
Thank you for that. I think that was exactly what I was asking.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission