Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
73 registered (bogdan101, AZNpiano, Anticlock, 20 invisible), 1157 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2309746 - 08/01/14 09:40 AM August Piano Bar, drinks on the house
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Mmmm, don't think I have ever opened the bar before. Just wanted to share this Philip Glass piece. I posted a thread with a fellow playing this on Marimba a while back and was so impressed with his playing went and learned it. As with most Glass pieces it's fairly simple and repetitious but I find it very meditative to play. It's fun to change the tempo and to play around stressing different notes.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2309763 - 08/01/14 10:47 AM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
barbaram Offline

I have no headphones handy so can't listen yet (I'm in work), but I have also been working on this - inspired by the marimba version you posted. Mine is far from ready to post, but as you say it is very meditative to play. As excellent 3 against 2 exercise for me too.

#2309800 - 08/01/14 12:17 PM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
jazztpt Offline

Peyton - that doesn't actually sound too easy to me , keeping it going for 4+ minutes and controlling the dynamics seems plenty difficult to me. Well done.

Edited by jazztpt (08/01/14 12:18 PM)

Piano Recordings

#2309818 - 08/01/14 01:52 PM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
Augustina Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Last month I was able to visit my sister ladypayne in Alaska. We didn't have much time to play duets so this isn't the greatest, but enjoy!:)
Amazing Grace Piano Duet
https://app.box.com/s/wvzqwa1afdhlak1rkxx8

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530

#2309919 - 08/01/14 06:12 PM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
peyton: doesn't sound easy to me either but well done. Sounds pretty

here is a submission from me. I found a nice little tune by Martha Mier called Springtime in my heart.

https://app.box.com/s/w9a97x7spo01lqk3pqxh

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528

#2309953 - 08/01/14 07:28 PM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Nice one Peyton, what a great touch and sound you have

#2309976 - 08/01/14 08:15 PM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hey all, thanks for the feed back. When I said Philip Glass was simple I should have been more explicit. I meant a simple construction. I didn't mean simple to play (Although, let's face it... A Chopin nocturne is miles away tougher).

#2309982 - 08/01/14 08:29 PM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Augustina, what a lovely duet. I love the way you both start off with a straight version and head off to a jazzier vibe. Were you both reading sheet music or ad libbing?

Ladypayne- a sweet happy piece! I'm sitting out on my patio, a frozen margaritta in hand a nice cigar with my speaker sitting out on the table... your playing is perfect!

#2310027 - 08/01/14 11:22 PM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
kenjazz Offline

Loc: Massachussetts, USA
Here is my take on the hard-bop classic Minority by Gigi Gryce. This has earned me the dreaded sucking-on-a-lemon face from the teacher. And deservedly so. The complaint is not the beginning/ending/melody/block chords/arrangement or any of that stuff. The complaint is just with the linear solos at this speed, which are largely awful. So I am in the penalty box with remedial things to work on at different tempos. But the good news is that they are fun!

Box link to Minority

Minority Blog Post

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+

#2310064 - 08/02/14 02:33 AM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
I can clearly see how playing this can be so relaxing. Great job Peyton and really great moving pic video too.

#2310073 - 08/02/14 03:26 AM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
Elssa Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: Peyton
Mmmm, don't think I have ever opened the bar before. Just wanted to share this Philip Glass piece. I posted a thread with a fellow playing this on Marimba a while back and was so impressed with his playing went and learned it. As with most Glass pieces it's fairly simple and repetitious but I find it very meditative to play. It's fun to change the tempo and to play around stressing different notes.

Peyton: Mesmerizing.. Very well played. smile I'll have a spritzer. grin

Well, here's my arrangement of another old/classic movie tune smile Dealing with sticky keys again but had fun anyway.

Till There Was You (The Music Man)

#2310101 - 08/02/14 05:50 AM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
jazztpt Offline

Augustina & Ladypayne - these two pieces are so far from what I normally listen to, but hey what great uplifting happy music, thanks for sharing.

KenJazz - no lemon sucking face required, great arrangment as usual. The recording evokes a feeling of being in a jazz club in the late 50's and what could be better than that.
So in places your technique is a little behind your ideas, so what, it doesn't distract from the performance you have put together (love those descending glisssandos too). Lets face it , playing jazz aint easy and when you add a fast tempo, well, it really, really aint' easy.
I read your blog on this ,you put a lot of research in and it shows in the end product, kudos for that. (Also from your blog you mentioned Paula Shocron,never heard of her before but what a great jazz player she is - YouTube is my friend). Well done mate.

Elssa - one of your best I think, this tune and your style fit like a glove.

Piano Recordings

#2310102 - 08/02/14 06:01 AM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
jazztpt Offline

Here is one from me. My version and improvisation on My Funny Valentine, written by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart in 1937.

https://app.box.com/s/ie949yonuicjfj76i37l

Piano Recordings

#2310106 - 08/02/14 06:36 AM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: jazztpt]
kenjazz Offline

Originally Posted By: jazztpt
Here is one from me. My version and improvisation on My Funny Valentine, written by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart in 1937.

https://app.box.com/s/ie949yonuicjfj76i37l

Jazztpt - Gorgeous tone and phrasing on this treatment of Funny Valentine! You've done two of my favorites in a row. I didn't get a chance to comment on That's All in July, but I really loved it. I have several recordings of that one in different styles (mostly latin), and always thought of it as a latin-influenced number. But you've given me some new ideas for it!

Thanks for the comments on Minority. This is definitely not a straight-line learning experience, and there are setbacks along the way that hopefully can lead to some breakthroughs.

I'm off to the Newport Jazz festival this morning! I should come back with a head full of ideas to try out...

Schimmel 120J

#2310130 - 08/02/14 08:03 AM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
Not a piano piece, I'm singing with the choir here. It was an amazing experience. My roommate is conducting this and I'm the guy in the back on the right side.

Our choir teacher is so good that she managed to teach us to sing like this for only 2 years. When we started most of us couldn't even sing moderately well in choir. It's still not professional singing but it's certainly a beautiful sounding choir smile

Edited by Teodor (08/02/14 08:06 AM)

Recitals:

#2310140 - 08/02/14 08:36 AM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: jazztpt]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Jazztpt,

Delightful rendition of Valentine. The little figure and chords around 1:47 or so took my breath away for a second and elicited a "oh my, how sweet is that!" moment.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2310155 - 08/02/14 09:21 AM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ken- sucking on a lemon face be damned! Sounded pretty darned good to me.

Ellsa- I have always been a sucker for that song. Love those crossovers at the beginning.

#2310163 - 08/02/14 09:37 AM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I may or may not have been working on this piece for the last nine months.

Ok ok I haven't. It just sat on my iPad for that long.

#2310195 - 08/02/14 11:18 AM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Peyton, nice mood, beautifully done! I always look forward to Glass stuff, and his music always works for me in movies. Watching you play, it strikes me that this must really be effective at strengthening your fingers too (not that I think you need it), an added bonus!

Augustina, Ladypayne, interesting reharmonizations on Amazing Grace! Nice teamwork! Family music making is one of the joys of life!

Ladypayne, very spirited rendition, fits the piece well. Good work!

Ken, that's a fascinating song. I have seen it in fakebooks but I don't remember hearing it before. I really enjoyed your performance. Fast tempos are tough! I found your blog very interesting - reminds me of how I have struggled with difficult songs, going through similar processes of listening to many recordings, finding ways to simplify, etc, - and after all that - the "sucking-on-a-lemon face from the teacher" that we all know so well. Oh well, I suppose that is what teachers are for, to keep prodding us to do better. Wish I were going to Newport - I understand Peter Martin is performing there. I have been working through some of his canned lessons online.

Elssa, lovely arrangement of a great old tune, complete with one of your patented endings! Good music!

Jazztpt, that was simply beautiful! You make it sound so easy, so relaxed, flowing so smoothly, but there is a lot going on harmonically and melodically. Wonderful playing!

Teodor, that was gorgeous singing, very moving. Is there an English translation?

Allard, OK, I don't know how long you worked on it, but you've mastered it. Nice piece, well played!

My piece this month is Close Enough for Love. This is a truly beautiful ballad written by Johnny Mandel (who also composed The Shadow Of Your Smile, Emily, the MASH song, etc). It is from a musical called Agatha, a romantic story about the love life of Agatha Christie. I only came across this song recently, and immediately became obsessed by its unusual harmonies. There is a wonderful video on YouTube of a vocal performance by Fleurine Mehldau, accompanied (ever so tastefully) on piano by her (genius) husband Brad. Tony Bennett also has an excellent recording.

Close Enough For Love

Ed

Edited by Riddler (08/02/14 11:20 AM)

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2310298 - 08/02/14 04:33 PM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

jazzpt, that is absolutely lovely! What a great feel you have for the piece.

Edited by Peyton (08/02/14 04:36 PM)

#2310316 - 08/02/14 05:18 PM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: california
OK, I really wasn't planning on posting in the Bar this month till after the recital, if at all, but you guys moved me so much and it made me so happy to see the Bar still flourishing even during a QR month that I just gotta, so I'll start small (one recording at a time, that is):

Peyton Amazing playing as usually. I really like this Phillip Glass piece and I can't imagine it gets any better than this. I think Coldplay totally ripped off part of it for his accompaniment on Viva La Vida, or at least this guy did in his cover. Check it out, starting at around 145 seconds or so.

#2310357 - 08/02/14 07:47 PM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Starr Keys]
kenjazz Offline

Riddler - Heard Howard Alden play your Ellington Reflections in D, solo on the guitar(!) at the Newport Jazz festival. Mesmerizing. He makes incredible use of the open D string while weaving myriad different voicings around it.

More notes from the front to come...

Schimmel 120J

#2310366 - 08/02/14 08:24 PM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Congratulations everyone. I like listening in. I enjoy it. As usual, don't have anything individual to say. Just that I enjoy it.

Don't have anything to contribute.
Am just laying low here. The Rally officially starts on Monday. So it's going full swing now.

#2310518 - 08/03/14 06:55 AM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
Peyton: It sounds good. Not easy to play this piece.
Augustina: So beautiful. The Amazing Grace is such an amazing piece. Every pianist has different rendition.
Ladypayne: Springtime in my heart, touching. It touches my heart.
Kenjazz: Very nice jazz sound. I hope I could play like this one day.
Elssa: Very nice rendition.
Jazztpt: Your Funny Valentine is so special.
Teodor: The choir is so special.
Allard: Very good.
Riddler: Close enough for love, so touching. I feel the love. Sometime sweet sometime tear.
StarrKeys: You are professional singer

This is my submission:
Stream of Praise piano cover.
https://app.box.com/s/v9q9q1tm96d8rfvq61e2

#2310555 - 08/03/14 09:31 AM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Allard- Nice. A very lively waltz and you are playing it well.
riddler- Beautiful! I can hear hints of "The Shadow of your Smile" in there.
Starkeys- Very cool! But not sure I agree about the Glass notes in there. But I still know what you mean. It has that mesmerizing repetitious kind of feel. Nice playing all around!

#2310605 - 08/03/14 12:33 PM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lady Payne and Augustina Both of your submissions were charming this month. You are so equally prolific in your contributions, in sync in your tastes, and play so well together, if I believed in reincarnation, I'd say that you girls both once lived in 18th century England where you inhabited an Austenian world and played the piano forte for small social groups like this and duets were popular. I can hear echoes of the period in your style and names and see you practicing in front of windows revealing landscapes that echoed the country charm of your Georgian ditties, like this one:

#2310664 - 08/03/14 03:45 PM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Peyton

Enjoyed this piece. Modern and rhythmic, very 'in' at the moment with television stuff and that. Impressive visuals too.

Kenjazz

Always good stuff and damn nice sound you get there man. Great drums too. Appreciate.

Elssa

The Beatles did this too. But not in your inimitable style!

Teodor

Fine stuff; loved the atmosphere and Russian writing accompanying this. Very impressive!

Allard

Short and sweet man. Lovely. 9 months? smile Great looking piano too.

Starrkeys

That had a real Cold play feel to it. Well done. Excellent vocals too.

Just trying out Box on a tablet (can't use the computer for some time) so I'll get back Asap.

Have fun!

""

#2310695 - 08/03/14 04:43 PM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: peterws]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
This is for the Box stuff. Had to register to use it on a tablet.

Augustina

Excellent work from the pair of you. So many ways to play this, there were interesting variations here.

Lady Payne

Very springy indeed with lovely fiddly bits for embellishment. A breath o' fresh air . .

Jazztpt

So smooth and laid back, l need a drink...

Riddler

Love this semi jazz style that would IMO be popular in most venues.

Weiyan

Nicely rendered piece of music which I've never heard before.

Good to see this flurry of activity here. Well done all!

""

#2311007 - 08/04/14 01:58 PM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peterws
Starrkeys
That had a real Cold play feel to it. Well done. Excellent vocals too.

Originally Posted By: Weiyan
StarrKeys: You are professional singer

Hey, you guys, I know drinks are on the house this month, but did you have to drink the entire barrel? Or do you really think I look and sound like a 6'1 Asian man with a pronounced adam's apple?

I did actually try to transcribe his arrangement in the video and got about half way through it before my Tendonitus kicked in. It was about that time I decided it was time to find a teacher. If I ever do finish it, I'll film myself singing it side by side with his video so I make sure you know the difference. [lol!]

#2311444 - 08/05/14 11:29 AM Re: August Piano Bar, drinks on the house [Re: Peyton]
Augustina Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Here is another Duet me and LadyPayne recorded while I was visiting her in Alaska last month. smile
We didn't have much time to practice as we were busy sight seeing, but we sure had fun playing duets:)

What a Friend We have in Jesus piano duet
https://app.box.com/s/btl2aw9invbe5h569wz5

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano, need advice
by kaustin
12/19/14 01:36 AM
Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano, need advice
by kaustin
12/19/14 01:30 AM
is it possible for me to learn piano?
by Ekik
12/19/14 12:38 AM
The New custom-modded VPC1 by RavenworksDesign!
by PianoManChuck
12/18/14 11:40 PM
Korg LP380 or Casio PX150 for beginner?
by SKding
12/18/14 11:10 PM
Forum Stats
77349 Members
42 Forums
159969 Topics
2349252 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission