2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Unbelievable! I hooked it up, because I still haven't
gotten another acoustic piano yet, and I was surprise
to find the sensitivity of it.

Bach's Goldberg variations Aria is difficult to play
on most uprights, but the P-85 was clearly modeled and
sampled from a 9 footer, and it certainly feels that way.

Quite a bit a control over the notes!

Now I understand what someone else meant when they said
they prefer modern digitals over any upright!

I'm reassessing the digital piano!

grin

Last edited by Paul678; 08/01/14 07:23 PM.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
The GHS action on your P-85 is Yamaha's entry level digital action. Nice to hear that you are having great results with it !!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Well, digital pianos certainly have their place...

A lot of churches are getting rid of their acoustic and going to digital pianos. So, they do have a purpose and meet the needs of users.

I bought a Yamaha P90 (newer model than the P85) and it had an odd ringing in a few notes in the upper register. I actually took the Peavy key-board amp back to the music store, and bought a Roland amp... to no avail. Same identiacl ringing. I guess the 9 footer they sampled that one on needed some voicing.

You can't do any voicing on a digital; it is what it is. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by carey
The GHS action on your P-85 is Yamaha's entry level digital action. Nice to hear that you are having great results with it !!

Well, when you play something as sensitive and quiet
as the Aria, sometimes the notes are difficult to make
sound on most uprights, because you are below a certain
velocity.

But the GHS action is shockingly sensitive, and mimics
a large grand piano quite decently.

They still have a ways to go, in terms of realism,
but it ain't too shabby! And I think better than most
uprights!

P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Rickster
Well, digital pianos certainly have their place...

A lot of churches are getting rid of their acoustic and going to digital pianos. So, they do have a purpose and meet the needs of users.

I bought a Yamaha P90 (newer model than the P85) and it had an odd ringing in a few notes in the upper register. I actually took the Peavy key-board amp back to the music store, and bought a Roland amp... to no avail. Same identiacl ringing. I guess the 9 footer they sampled that one on needed some voicing.

You can't do any voicing on a digital; it is what it is. smile

Rick

Well, many synth type keyboards have USB ports, where you can download new voices from the internet.

They should put a USB on these digital pianos, just so you can upgrade or change the voices when you want to.

Yes, there is a note here and there on the P-85 that has a funny resonance to it, but the pianos they sampled were not perfect to begin with.

Still darn decent!
to begin with.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Rickster
Actually a lot of modern digital pianos actually do let you do voicing now. Some of Roland and Kawai's higher end digitals in particular allow that. You can affect all kinds of different parameters, from hammer hardness to string resonance. You can even adjust the parameters on a note by note basis. It's really cool. smile

Paul678 the P85 is pretty old. They actually have gone a long way since then. The top of the line actions from Roland, Kawai, and Yamaha are *really* impressive now. Definitely worth trying out if you get the chance! Also some higher end digital pianos (not just synths) do let you download new sample sets and replace the old ones. But they tend to be vey expensive and more geared to touring musicians. However, the vast majority of digital pianos/keyboards are MIDI capable, meaning that you can interface them with computers to play a wide variety of software based instruments. The software based instruments are probably the best way to go for the absolutely most realistic sounds. But of course, than be a bit clunky and some people don't like the aesthetic of dangling wires all over the place. smile

Warm Regards smile

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Paul678

They should put a USB on these digital pianos, just so you can upgrade or change the voices when you want to.

Oh really? grin

As the previous poster mentioned, you might want to deepen your research.

P-85 was good bang for the buck in its day, but.....

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Originally Posted by fizikisto
Rickster
Actually a lot of modern digital pianos actually do let you do voicing now. Some of Roland and Kawai's higher end digitals in particular allow that. You can affect all kinds of different parameters, from hammer hardness to string resonance. You can even adjust the parameters on a note by note basis. It's really cool. smile

Okay, well, I stand corrected. smile

Guess I don't know much about modern digital pianos. Heck, I don't know much about acoustic pianos either. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...]
Well, when you play something as sensitive and quiet
as the Aria, sometimes the notes are difficult to make
sound on most uprights, because you are below a certain
velocity.
[...]

Most uprights? Really? That could also simply be indicative of the limitation of the pianist's technique!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BruceD

Most uprights? Really? That could also simply be indicative of the limitation of the pianist's technique!

Regards,

It sounds like you have very little experience with
the limitations of upright pianos.

Most grands have far better actions and note
repeat-ability.

Try educating yourself before you type.....

Last edited by Paul678; 08/02/14 02:41 PM.
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by fizikisto
Rickster

Paul678 the P85 is pretty old. They actually have gone a long way since then. The top of the line actions from Roland, Kawai, and Yamaha are *really* impressive now. Definitely worth trying out if you get the chance! Also some higher end digital pianos (not just synths) do let you download new sample sets and replace the old ones. But they tend to be vey expensive and more geared to touring musicians. However, the vast majority of digital pianos/keyboards are MIDI capable, meaning that you can interface them with computers to play a wide variety of software based instruments. The software based instruments are probably the best way to go for the absolutely most realistic sounds. But of course, than be a bit clunky and some people don't like the aesthetic of dangling wires all over the place. smile

Warm Regards smile

Hmm, ok! Looks like I'll be trying out the latest
digitals next time I'm at the piano store!

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

Regards,

It sounds like you have very little experience with
the limitations of upright pianos.

Most grands have far better actions and note
repeat-ability.

Try educating yourself before you type.....

On the contrary, I have considerable experience with uprights of different makes and vintage. I would agree that many have limitations that the average pianist cannot overcome, but I do take issue with your statement that most uprights are so limited.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Obvious troll alert..
How many topics do you have to start before everybody realizes you're a troll escaped from the deep caves of the attention seeking underworld.. incredible..

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A troll with 420 posts? My experience of trolls is a few posts here and there, usually in different fora, before they get stamped on.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Ignore the troll stuff. On this forum it can be an honor to be so designated. grin

Hmm, ok! Looks like I'll be trying out the latest
digitals next time I'm at the piano store!

Roland FP-80..... $2000
Kawai ES7 ........ $2600
Avantgrand N1 ...$5000

Each one very different, but each can kick some butt.

Play them and draw your own conclusions.

P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

On the contrary, I have considerable experience with uprights of different makes and vintage. I would agree that many have limitations that the average pianist cannot overcome, but I do take issue with your statement that most uprights are so limited.

I ain't your average pianist.....I will play
you under the table!

Hint: Why do you think serious concert pianist
NEVER perform on an upright?

Most of them are limited. The repertoire is limited.

P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by turandot
Ignore the troll stuff. On this forum it can be an honor to be so designated. grin

Roland FP-80..... $2000
Kawai ES7 ........ $2600
Avantgrand N1 ...$5000

Each one very different, but each can kick some butt.

Play them and draw your own conclusions.

So those are prices for new units, right?

About the same $2-5k range for lower end used acoustic
grand pianos.

I will keep my eyes open for these...

Last edited by Paul678; 08/03/14 06:46 AM.
J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J

you under the table!

I look forward to hearing you play.

YAMAHA Artist
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Who doesn't. Always a pleasure to hear the very best. Let alone a veteran musician such as the OP.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Bach's Goldberg variations Aria is difficult to play
on most uprights, but the P-85 was clearly modeled and
sampled from a 9 footer, and it certainly feels that way!

I'm happy to read of your joy in this discovery, but completely disagree with your observations and summation. You either haven't played enough high-end uprights in a good state of regulation, or you may want to examine your technical approach to playing more closely.

Though the sample may be from a 9' grand, there's little similarity in the action to a 9' grand, nor the propagation of sound from it. On balance, I remembering liking that model as an ultraportable practice solution in a pinch.

Tip: The ones that can truly "play you under the table" are the ones that do not need to announce they can "play you under the table"...

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Plus one!!!!!!!!

YAMAHA Artist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

you under the table!

I think a lot of that is cache, etiquette. A concert pianist is not likely to be taken seriously in a concert setting if playing on an upright, even if its a Steinway! Yet that same pianist may well have an upright at home. Lisitsa regularly performs in public on old uprights!

Last edited by LarryShone; 08/03/14 10:29 AM.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by terminaldegree

I'm happy to read of your joy in this discovery, but completely disagree with your observations and summation. You either haven't played enough high-end uprights in a good state of regulation, or you may want to examine your technical approach to playing more closely.

Though the sample may be from a 9' grand, there's little similarity in the action to a 9' grand, nor the propagation of sound from it. On balance, I remembering liking that model as an ultraportable practice solution in a pinch.

Tip: The ones that can truly "play you under the table" are the ones that do not need to announce they can "play you under the table"...

You are wrong. I've played plenty of high-end uprights, and they are no match for the best grands. You obviously don't understand that grand actions rely on gravity instead of springs, and so can be trilled faster and easier.

Tip: Only the predictably insecure will respond to "play under the table" bait, which is obviously there to elicit a response! You guys are easy to wind up!

grin

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
In my experience cluelessness is danged near incurable.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

Tip: Only the predictably insecure will respond to "play under the table" bait, which is obviously there to elicit a response! You guys are easy to wind up!

grin

Sure, it's easy to wind people up, but ultimately what you've done is shoot yourself in the foot for that brief moment of amusement. For such a chatty and enquiring guy who loves to have his questions answered, you've now ensured that a good many people will never take your posts seriously nor respond to you - you've effectively shrunk your PW community down to a fraction of what it was.

So whilst you might have initially thought that was a clever piece of provocation, it was actually pretty silly.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

You are wrong. I've played plenty of high-end uprights, and they are no match for the best grands. You obviously don't understand that grand actions rely on gravity instead of springs, and so can be trilled faster...

Your OP and my response were in reference to an entry-level slab digital piano vs an upright piano. I know reading comprehension can be tough, but I am sure I can read you under the table... crazy

Have fun tilting at windmills!

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Of course a high end upright is no match for the best grand - a Steinway D is nicer to play than a model K - but I'd take a model k over any digital any day.

I'd even take a well prepared 1930 challen upright over a Yamaha p85.

But I like digitals for heavy technical work where all that matters is gymnastics. It saves the hammers on the grand, and being able to practise silently on a piano with good sound is amazing.

I think digital pianos are good, they're here to stay and they are excellent tools, but musically, they're not that interesting to me.

YAMAHA Artist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by joe80
Of course a high end upright is no match for the best grand - a Steinway D is nicer to play than a model K - but I'd take a model k over any digital any day.

I'd even take a well prepared 1930 challen upright over a Yamaha p85.

But I like digitals for heavy technical work where all that matters is gymnastics. It saves the hammers on the grand, and being able to practise silently on a piano with good sound is amazing.

I think digital pianos are good, they're here to stay and they are excellent tools, but musically, they're not that interesting to me.

Hey Joe! Hello to you! Long time no talk! Yes, I got busy, no it's not a crime, but you know how it is....hope you are well...and happy...

I agree 110%.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando
you've now ensured that a good many people will never take your posts seriously nor respond to you - you've effectively shrunk your PW community down to a fraction of what it was.

That bad huh? grin

You're going to write a guy off because he tells another member he'll play him under the table?

And what's with this shrinking your community to a fraction stuff? Is this Facebook?

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@Turandot read some of his other threads and responses and you will find out soon enough what you're dealing with.
The most ridicule thing yet was advising a swamp cooler for use with a piano. An advise that surely would inflict damage when taken seriously.
Btw, OP still owes me a Steinway D. Also owes me an apology for calling me a liar for no good reason apart from his own fun. Trolls do what trolls do. What do you expect from someone calling himself a veteran musician in his very first post on PW.

P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by wimpiano
@Turandot read some of his other threads and responses and you will find out soon enough what you're dealing with.
The most ridicule thing yet was advising a swamp cooler for use with a piano. An advise that surely would inflict damage when taken seriously.
Btw, OP still owes me a Steinway D. Also owes me an apology for calling me a liar for no good reason apart from his own fun. Trolls do what trolls do. What do you expect from someone calling himself a veteran musician in his very first post on PW.

Boy, aren't you a dim one! Try READING the swamp cooler
thread, and you'll see that I advised AGAINST swamp coolers completely!

And you ARE a liar, in that you posted a fake photo-shopped pic.

Troll? Look in the mirror, my friend!

laugh

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
1. You didn't initially. Just read the thread title: "Swamp Cooler and Air Conditioner- Use only One of them!" A quick google would have told you that it's not recommended to use a swamp cooler. Quote from one of the first hits on google:
I love the comfort and economy of Evaporative Coolers but they are piano death
. So you are either very ignorant or have very bad intent. I hope for the first but reading your other posts I'm leaning towards the latter.

2. If I would have bad intent I would sue you (It wouldn't be a first, read the Forum FAQ) since you do owe me a Steinway Grand. It's quite easy to prove the picture is not fake. It's from our national press agency (ANP). I am not doing so because I don't have bad intent nor do I like bets. You provoked me into one by calling me a liar. I like to receive what I earn and didn't work for this so don't feel I'm entitled to it. You are not only a sour loser but legally also in debt.

P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
1. You didn't initially. Just read the thread title: "Swamp Cooler and Air Conditioner- Use only One of them!" A quick google would have told you that. Quote from one of the first hits on google:
I love the comfort and economy of Evaporative Coolers but they are piano death
. So you are either very ignorant or have very bad intent. I hope for the first but reading your other posts I'm leaning towards the latter.

2. If I would have bad intent I would sue you (It wouldn't be a first, read the Forum FAQ) since you do owe me a Steinway Grand. It's quite easy to prove the picture is not fake. It's from our national press agency (ANP). I am not doing so because I don't have bad intent nor do I like bets. You provoked me into one by calling me a liar. I like to receive what I earn and didn't work for this so don't feel I'm entitled to it. You are not only a sour loser but legally also in debt.

BBWWAHAHA!! I don't owe you squat!

It's YOU who owes me a Steinway!

Why do you Dutch people always think you are smarter
than the rest of the world, when it's clearly not true?

Get off your high-horse, and learn to spell English
correctly!

J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Right that last statement just went too far, and whether you like it or not 'why do you Dutch people always think you are smarter than the rest of the world... ' is at worst thoroughly xenophobic and at best, exceptionally rude. This thread is really scraping the barrel.

YAMAHA Artist
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

Turandot, what wimpiano said above is correct. It's not any single post that's done it, but Paul has been whittling down his audience with regular abrasive posts. This is just the latest one. Oh, and Facebook comparisons aside, if you think this forum is for people who give no consideration to the responses their posts get, you are wildly misapprehending the purpose of this forum. As a pot-stirrer yourself, you should know this quite well - you don't make your posts with the intention of not reading the responses you get. I don't mind a little pot-stirring if it's clever, creative and relevant - actually I do enjoy your particular brand of irreverence most of the time, Turandot.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@joe80 and ando +1

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando
It's not any single post that's done it, but Paul has been whittling down his audience with regular abrasive posts.

ando,

Thanks for answering.

It's painfully obvious from recent posts that there is some bad blood here. I'll admit to being ignorant of the background, but I think it would be cruel and unusual punishment to be forced to read a thread about swamp coolers to atone for my ignorance.

I did not enter this thread to stir a pot, make a pot, enlarge an audience, shrink an audience, make new friends, elicit a certain response, or insult anyone. I entered because I was amused that someone would make a case for digital pianos by citing a P-85.

However, it seems that the topic is no longer the topic and I don't want to participate in the new topic.

I'm sorry to see this thread degenerate so...

Thread locked.

Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission